BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Had a bit more time to reflect and again think it comes down to our ambitions as to whether it was a good window. For a club trying to stay in the Championship it was probably a pretty good window, for a club trying to kick on to top 6/8 it was much weaker. 

Keeper: 3/10

This has to be a fail for me. We replaced a young keeper who flaps and doesn't command his area, but with loads of potential, for a keeper who is no more experienced, flaps and doesn't command his area (by all accounts) and who cares about the potential, because he is gone in a year as it is a loan. If Mulgrew being shipped out to Wigan is telling on his ability, I'd suggest this works in reverse for our new keeper. Added to which it is a horrible use of a loan. Loans are there to get something better that you otherwise couldn't afford. Neither of these boxes are ticked, and as the only keeper we have, he's a guaranteed starter, limiting the number of effective loans we can have in the squad. Poor decision imo and a regression. 

Defence: 5.5/10

Better back 4, yet depth of defence is still worrying. Whilst it'd be hard to get worse than last year's back line options, we've nevertheless improved. We have a good quality left back and with the thin cb options the assurance that the liability Williams is (at lb) will not play there again. Similarly the City lad cannot be worse than Mulgrew and Rodwell so the back 4 shapes up well. Worryingly though there is no cover whatsoever. Williams is ok as a 4th choice centre back but I suggest he can do a job there, like Evanswood in  midfield, and to be the first option called on when one of our centre backs is missing - which will happen with injuries and suspensions - is too big a drop in quality for a team with top half aspirations. Worryingly, he's the only one we can call on, without playing people out of position. Centre back is one of the key places you struggle to play out of position, and with virtually no cover here, and all youngsters out on loan, we're asking for trouble. Similarly no cover at right back is huge as well. Bennett is our reserve right back choice. This has two problems as a) he is not very good there, and b) that means he is less likely to play in midfield where he is decent. In fact, Bennett coming in for Johnson or Travis when injured/suspended would still make a rather strong 2 sitting midfielders. Our lack of defensive depth though means this is unlikely to happen though. Frustratingly, we start the whole process over again next summer when Cunningham and Tosin leave, leaving our paper thin defence, non-existent. 

Midfield 8/10

Losing Reed was a huge blow. And whilst Johnson is good, he's not as good as Reed. He is however a big upgrade on Evanswood, which is really positive. Similarly Downing is a signing I really like as he gives us lots of tactical options. He gives us lots more width  and balance when played wide left, whilst also for games where less battlers are needed could slot into the 2 defensive midfield slots and dictate play from there. Sadly at 34 it seems a one season option, and we don't know whether his wages could be put to better use elsewhere. That said, if used astutely I feel Downing could be a really clever signing and have a big impact for us, whilst Johnson means we're so much less limited in defensive mid it's untrue. The fly in the ointment is both are comfortably the other side of 30, which along with the defence leaves a huge rebuilding job in the next 18 months, which may have been better to avoid. Quality wise though, I'm impressed. 

Strikers 6/10

We're in a much stronger position than we were with Samuel and Bereton not looking like cutting it in this league, that left only Graham as a viable striker. Gally at least has shown he is decent at this level and does give us another reliable option. Most importantly it keeps the 4-2-3-1 formation that suits Dack so well, making it a really important capture. Given Graham's age, alongside being the only reliable striker we had, this to me was a crucial signing. The big question is can Gally replace Graham - is he good enough? My gut reaction is no, but a useful second striker, which isn't really what we were after £12 million down the line. So yes, better in terms of squad and options, but the fear is it's not quite good enough. 

Overall a decent window and not the disaster it was shaping up to be. Perhaps in defence especially the Charlton game was a blessing in disguise. The big problem is however, I'm not too sure it was good enough. Certainly not for a top 6/8 table team but more to the point there's a few holes and weaknesses that could really let us down and threaten us with relegation. An injury to Graham, or any of our first 4 defenders and things look very risky indeed. 

18 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think everyone agrees we are a good, experienced CB short.  We have been for a while.  You have to hope he has someone lined up because we are too short at CB.  If he was to sign someon like Skrtel for 12 months - that would be a master stroke.

For me, the goalkeeper situation has been the poorest.  Really hoped we'd get an experienced, quality number one.  Walton has the same weaknesses as Raya - just taller.

Very undecided about goal keeper - as you say would have preferred experience. Seen Walton in two matches - only observation is that he seems more vocal than Raya.

TM has made some big calls in this window. I think now is the time to get behind the lads - and see where we are in 10 matches. 

• Like 1

If we pick up another centre back on a free transfer then I think we have done okay this transfer window. A lot depends on how good Walton is in place of Raya and whether Tosin turns out to be the starting centre back that we desperately crave alongside Lenihan and I will have to wait and see.

Getting rid of last seasons 2nd highest earner of the books who was in my mind at least our 4th best centre back, is very injury prone and was a liability defensively is a big positive and shows a bit of hope that Mowbray can kill his darlings after all.

Cunningham is good signing and improves the first team as is Johnson. Downing is a decent option for us and Gallagher is a player I like albeit i'm still not convinced we should've spent all our money on him. Mowbray has so much riding on Brereton and Gallagher coming good.

Our window isn't done yet, we still need to get Smallwood and Samuel off the wage bill with a loan move to league 1, and as i mentioned above we need that other centre half on a free transfer, and maybe get another of the young lads some game time out on loan. Maybe even a backup keeper on a free if one is available.

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yes, evidence of what I said over a week ago. The management team know how important it is to get it right. They’ve raised the expectations of the owners and fans this season and are exposed. 

So expect more prickly interviews and cut throat decisions on players. Mulgrew is just the beginning..

just how it should be ....

a friend {Glos based PNE fan} pointed me to this post on the PNE forum, interesting perspective on Rover's business in the window 

I can’t believe this could even be a topic for discussion but here goes, who would you rather have as your club owner, the Indian Chicken farmers or our billionaire builder?

When Venkys took over down the road it looked as though they would turn Roves into a laughing stock, and they continued in that vein with 2 relegations. Meanwhile we were moving in the opposite direction under the careful stewardship of TH.

Something seems to have clicked for the Plastics however when they hit league 1 and they bought well and got promoted at the first time of asking, something we couldn’t manage.

They consolidated last year and at the season end there was barely anything between us league points / position wise. This summer however it’s the Plastics who have shown far greater ambition and splashed the cash. I’m not aware of any significant sales they made but they appear to have potentially bought wisely and there can be no doubt the owners have backed their manager financially. Contrast that to us who have generated a stack of cash in the last two seasons, and the bulk of that can only have gone into the owners bank account. 

The capture by Rovers of one of our best former players in Cunningham at a time when we were in desperate need of a left back is a real kick in the teeth and more than makes up for them losing out on the FBG to us. Speaking of which, I’d love to know what utter bullshit Bauer was told to get him sign for us over them. Only time will tell but I bet he’s regretting that decision at the moment.

I genuinely think Rovers and us will be battling at opposite ends of the table this season and based on this window there’s no doubt that they have far more chance of getting the premiership jackpot than we do. The biggest stumbling block for them will be their manager who I don’t rate at all. I think Mowbray is their weak link whereas ours is our owner.

quite why they consider Rovers as 'Plastics' is beyond me, but presumably some obscure reference to us competing at the very top of the top level through the 1990's along-with the so-called big boys, [it's also quite ironic as PNE were last in the first division in 1961 when plastic probably hadn't even been invented].

Maybe Rover's transfer business looks better from the outside than from our own perspective?

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

Had a bit more time to reflect and again think it comes down to our ambitions as to whether it was a good window. For a club trying to stay in the Championship it was probably a pretty good window, for a club trying to kick on to top 6/8 it was much weaker. 

Keeper: 3/10

This has to be a fail for me. We replaced a young keeper who flaps and doesn't command his area, but with loads of potential, for a keeper who is no more experienced, flaps and doesn't command his area (by all accounts) and who cares about the potential, because he is gone in a year as it is a loan. If Mulgrew being shipped out to Wigan is telling on his ability, I'd suggest this works in reverse for our new keeper. Added to which it is a horrible use of a loan. Loans are there to get something better that you otherwise couldn't afford. Neither of these boxes are ticked, and as the only keeper we have, he's a guaranteed starter, limiting the number of effective loans we can have in the squad. Poor decision imo and a regression. 

Defence: 5.5/10

Better back 4, yet depth of defence is still worrying. Whilst it'd be hard to get worse than last year's back line options, we've nevertheless improved. We have a good quality left back and with the thin cb options the assurance that the liability Williams is (at lb) will not play there again. Similarly the City lad cannot be worse than Mulgrew and Rodwell so the back 4 shapes up well. Worryingly though there is no cover whatsoever. Williams is ok as a 4th choice centre back but I suggest he can do a job there, like Evanswood in  midfield, and to be the first option called on when one of our centre backs is missing - which will happen with injuries and suspensions - is too big a drop in quality for a team with top half aspirations. Worryingly, he's the only one we can call on, without playing people out of position. Centre back is one of the key places you struggle to play out of position, and with virtually no cover here, and all youngsters out on loan, we're asking for trouble. Similarly no cover at right back is huge as well. Bennett is our reserve right back choice. This has two problems as a) he is not very good there, and b) that means he is less likely to play in midfield where he is decent. In fact, Bennett coming in for Johnson or Travis when injured/suspended would still make a rather strong 2 sitting midfielders. Our lack of defensive depth though means this is unlikely to happen though. Frustratingly, we start the whole process over again next summer when Cunningham and Tosin leave, leaving our paper thin defence, non-existent. 

Midfield 8/10

Losing Reed was a huge blow. And whilst Johnson is good, he's not as good as Reed. He is however a big upgrade on Evanswood, which is really positive. Similarly Downing is a signing I really like as he gives us lots of tactical options. He gives us lots more width  and balance when played wide left, whilst also for games where less battlers are needed could slot into the 2 defensive midfield slots and dictate play from there. Sadly at 34 it seems a one season option, and we don't know whether his wages could be put to better use elsewhere. That said, if used astutely I feel Downing could be a really clever signing and have a big impact for us, whilst Johnson means we're so much less limited in defensive mid it's untrue. The fly in the ointment is both are comfortably the other side of 30, which along with the defence leaves a huge rebuilding job in the next 18 months, which may have been better to avoid. Quality wise though, I'm impressed. 

Strikers 6/10

We're in a much stronger position than we were with Samuel and Bereton not looking like cutting it in this league, that left only Graham as a viable striker. Gally at least has shown he is decent at this level and does give us another reliable option. Most importantly it keeps the 4-2-3-1 formation that suits Dack so well, making it a really important capture. Given Graham's age, alongside being the only reliable striker we had, this to me was a crucial signing. The big question is can Gally replace Graham - is he good enough? My gut reaction is no, but a useful second striker, which isn't really what we were after £12 million down the line. So yes, better in terms of squad and options, but the fear is it's not quite good enough. 

Overall a decent window and not the disaster it was shaping up to be. Perhaps in defence especially the Charlton game was a blessing in disguise. The big problem is however, I'm not too sure it was good enough. Certainly not for a top 6/8 table team but more to the point there's a few holes and weaknesses that could really let us down and threaten us with relegation. An injury to Graham, or any of our first 4 defenders and things look very risky indeed. 

I am beginning to wonder about the goalkeeper situation , after witnessing yesterdays blind panic...

Would we have sold Raya if we knew we were getting Walton ???

I think they had someone else lined up and for some reason ,it went pear shaped ...

Then like yesterday started to panic as the season and friendlies grew closer ...

• Like 1

Shouldn't be overlooked that:

Mowbray wanted to sign another central defender, on top of what we've got, but couldn't do the deal.

Mowbray wanted to sign Reed back.

So that's 2 areas where we're lacking from where he wanted us to be.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

I am beginning to wonder about the goalkeeper situation , after witnessing yesterdays blind panic...

Would we have sold Raya if we knew we were getting Walton ???

I think they had someone else lined up and for some reason ,it went pear shaped ...

Then like yesterday started to panic as the season and friendlies grew closer ...

Yes there does seem an air of panic and short term-ism about the whole of our transfer dealings. All 3 defensive reinforcements likely won't be here next year, which is terrible for continuity, whilst the midfield options also have a limited shelf life. As you say, the keeper situation is very odd and only a step backwards - like for like, but with less benefits for us. 

Perhaps most worrying of this transfer window is our inability to get deals through. 

• Like 1

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Frustratingly, we start the whole process over again next summer when Cunningham and Tosin leave, leaving our paper thin defence, non-existent. 

In 9 months time (next May) the defence will be without:

Walton (end of loan), Bell (end of contract), Cunningham (loan), Leutweiller (contract), Tosin (loan).

We will only have Nyambe, Lennihan and Williams on the books - scary. So next summer we'll need 2xGK, 2xCB, 2xLB

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

In 9 months time (next May) the defence will be without:

Walton (end of loan), Bell (end of contract), Cunningham (loan), Leutweiller (contract), Tosin (loan).

We will only have Nyambe, Lennihan and Williams on the books - scary. So next summer we'll need 2xGK, 2xCB, 2xLB

I don't think I've ever seen such poor long term planning. 

Also factor in Mulgrew is finished (unsure of contract situation) Graham will be coming to the end of his career, ditto Downing, and possibly Johnson as well. That is a lot of changes for a team that failed to get in an extra centre back and an experienced keeper.  

Cunningham doesn't look to have a future at Cardiff so if things go well could see him signing permanently. 

Disappointed we didn't bring in a centre half but Mulgrew was a liability at centre half now and I think made sense getting his wage off the books.Would take Joel Lynch on a free

• Like 1

Just now, Glosrover said:

just how it should be ....

a friend {Glos based PNE fan} pointed me to this post on the PNE forum, interesting perspective on Rover's business in the window 

quite why they consider Rovers as 'Plastics' is beyond me, but presumably some obscure reference to us competing at the very top of the top level through the 1990's along-with the so-called big boys, [it's also quite ironic as PNE were last in the first division in 1961 when plastic probably hadn't even been invented].

Maybe Rover's transfer business looks better from the outside than from our own perspective?

All due to being a few blue and white shirts knocking around Preston in the 90s, including areas in south Ribble like Bamber Bridge that has always contained Rovers fans anyway.

The only ‘plastics’ in Preston are the thousands of football fans wearing Man Utd and Liverpool shirts, maybe if some of those supported PNE they’d have made it to the PL by now and may have lost at least one of their chips from their shoulders.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

Be interesting to see if anyone has the inside track on this move. 

A few pages back, someone mentioned a potential bust up with TM and CM, following the Charlton disaster.

We needed to phase Mulgrew out over the course of the season so him leaving isn't a problem as such. The problem is, we are light on centre backs and we really needed to sign one.

Let's hope we have a free transfer lined up (but not Rodwell)

Just now, Blue blood said:

I don't think I've ever seen such poor long term planning. 

Also factor in Mulgrew is finished (unsure of contract situation) Graham will be coming to the end of his career, ditto Downing, and possibly Johnson as well. That is a lot of changes for a team that failed to get in an extra centre back and an experienced keeper.  

Dack will probably be off as well. I dread to think what Mowbray will do in the transfer market next summer if he is still here. It is looking like being a massive rebuilding job and in the last 2 summers he shown that he won't be up to that job. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Dack will probably be off as well. I dread to think what Mowbray will do in the transfer market next summer if he is still here. It is looking like being a massive rebuilding job and in the last 2 summers he shown that he won't be up to that job. 

Let’s hope he gives some game time to some of our youngsters 

Thank you to Mulgrew. He was sensational for us in the lge 1 season and has generally been a good leader on and off the pitch. Absolutely the right decision to let him go as his legs have gone over the past year. 

I don’t think Wigan are getting the player they think they’re getting in Mulgrew. Lots of quality on the ball but can’t do the basics of defending and gets caught out with the ball over the top too many times. I don’t get the “Wigan have had a great window and can push for the top 6” line on Twitter. They lost their best player in Powell and I can’t see any real quality in the players they’ve signed. I would take our signings over theirs any day of the week. 

Overall, not a bad window for us but probably not a good enough one for us to break into the top 6. But who knows? 

• Like 2

Lenihan is definitely future captain but my choice would be Johnson despite being a new signing. He is likely to be an ever-present in the lineup, has bags of experience and seems to lead on the field as it is.

he will only be around for a season or two anyway and by that time, Lenihan can take over the reigns.

• Like 2