BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom
Just now, imy9 said:

The biggest decision that Mowbray has made. Letting your captain go, I'm intrigued to hear his reasoning behind it. I'd say Johnson to be captain but can see Bennett getting it :(

Mowbray says he doesn't have to answer questions regarding anything he does with the players, so it seems unlikely we'll hear any official reason. 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

There isn't really much other than Mulgrew losing his way to base that on yet, unlikely but he could have an Indian summer now whilst Tosin struggles.

Are you a politician. In your opinion, Who has the best deal ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Whatever happens it all falls down to a chronic lack of planning again which is bizarre after the comments over the last 12 months regarding this position. Left to chance in favour of other areas and blind hope that suddenly certain players will overnight come good again despite massive evidence to the contrary and assuming others would be good enough or fit enough to cover.!)

Pretty novice stuff for a pro set up.

Completely agree.

the window has laid bare in bright lights how inadequate our set up is. We can debate the likes/dislikes of individual players but our whole approach to the window itself has been nothing short of shambolic. We have known since January where our glaring weaknesses are and this was shown up very clearly in the performances and goals conceded in Feb/March. TM makes very bold statements (I wont repeat them all again! ) about what is going to happen , how our scouting structure is being heavily invested and then we get statements about financial backing and similar budgets being made available by the owners .Basically as last season ended very public statements were made about what would happen in the window and how our target lists had been prepared .Out of the blue we sell our keeper the reasons for which were blagged by the club but don't worry the cash will be made available to supplement and make us better. In fact , is the Raya money still untouched??

We then stumble around like a bunch of drunks in the latter stages of the window , this could happen, that could happen , we still expect to do this that and the other in the final days.

Like Mulgrew or not, we end up on the final day loaning our captain to what most would consider an inferior rival in the same division and bring a left back in on loan. We bid for Reed , which must be some kind of joke given that he didn't play him in his right position and also we knew he didn't want to come north again.

The reality is that we now must rely on Nyambe/Williams at some point being central defenders if only because of injury and suspension during the season.

Not one fan thought we didn't need reinforcements at the back particularly Centre half and TM was also vocal in his agreement.

So what the hell happened? FFP has been dismissed by the Club as not an imminent threat yet we look like we are in some kind of fire sale to reduce our wage bill right at the death and this will (and actually sensibly should happen) continue with other members of the squad going to league one and two .

Its pretty much a shoe in that we will sign an out of contract centre back that nobody else wanted and it will be passed off as the plan all along.

But as an 'operation' the window and how we've approached it has been nothing short of disgraceful , punctuated by a mass of lies that culminated in the manager losing the plot and spouting more tripe than he usually does. Something has gone badly wrong that I don't think we've heard the last of .Bollox about new booths , smart screens etc to give us ''marginal gains on the pitch'' (don't get me going about that chancer , Waggott) , investment in our scouting network , bargains in Europe is looking outstandingly hollow and nonsensical as we sit here this morning and frankly I really fear for us this season. Not because I don't think we have some decent players and I expect we will play some decent stuff at times but our soft centre and sloppy goals conceded has not been addressed whilst we have unfathomably squandered big money on players that seem not to know if and where they will play.

If we embark on a poor run of results nobody will be surprised and in my opinion we have just reached a tipping point again where fury will quickly build and I don't think our management team is equipped to deal with that or put things right.

Prediction: bottom 6 for much of the first half of the season , with manager under mounting pressure before being relieved of his duties or walking end of November.

You would have to be the eternal optimist to be encouraged by where we have ended up at the end of this window in light of the narrative that has been coming out of the Club for the last 6 months.     

Edited by TBTF
  • Like 9

Charlie should be respected for what he has done whilst here. He’s been a very good player for us however we can’t ignore the fact that he’s not a great CB and not got the legs to play CM so he becomes a bit of a luxury. His free kicks and penalties hide the fact that he’s also at fault for a good number of goals throughout the season. He’s not one to put his head in and get really stuck in. It’s a shame he can’t play the deep lying midfielder role as his range of passing is good and we all know what he can do from a set piece.

Biggest disappointment has to be not getting another CB in. I’d take Ashley Williams or Skrtal at this late stage.

• Like 8

Think we will get a free cb in obviously we were trying to sign one, might be a case of loaning Smallwood and Samuel and a few others to the lower leagues to free up some wages first.

Edited by pick32

Just now, 1864roverite said:

The thing about Mulgrew an£ his swift exit is a lack of plaudits from Rovers and the blanket ban on social media. Something clearly has happened behind the scenes

I can't see beyond him being told he wouldn't be first choice and not liking it. To happen so late in the day definitely confirms it wasn't planned. 

What do you mean by social media ban? As for the plaudits, I think there isn't generally an official goodbye when a player leaves on loan...

It is a pity he didnt stick around and contribute to the squad, but I think even that alone shows he wasn't the right captain if he wan't prepared to put his ego aside. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can't see beyond him being told he wouldn't be first choice and not liking it. To happen so late in the day definitely confirms it wasn't planned. 

What do you mean by social media ban? As for the plaudits, I think there isn't generally an official goodbye when a player leaves on loan...

It is a pity he didnt stick around and contribute to the squad, but I think even that alone shows he wasn't the right captain if he wan't prepared to put his ego aside. 

The wigan fans I know are all convinced he will be backup for them and not a starter.

Which makes me thinks there has been a fallout, or this is about getting his wages out the door

12 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

But the counter argument to that is, if we could defend we wouldn't need our centre half to chip in with 10 goals. We couldn't defend in league one and we certainly couldn't defend in the championship last year. I like Mulgrew but I don't see him defend his box well enough. I don't see him stride out with the ball. Most importantly I don't see him really break sweat. That header last weekend is unforgivable for a centre half. No pressure. Just read the flight of the ball. But let's not be too harsh. 3 years ago his actual position wasn't even defined.

A while ago I posted on one of the threads on here that when we signed Mulgrew, I asked my Geordie pal - 'exiled' in Glasgow for 40 years or so - what his actual position was. He confirmed my suspicion that he'd been seen as a midfielder, rather than a defender.

• Backroom

Mulgrew does deserve more, he captained the team and scored a goal that will be remembered for a long long time

Reflecting on yesterday I think if we were told at the start of the day we’d get rid of Mulgrew but only bring in Cunningham most of us would have been very confused seeing as we started the day needed a centre half 

• Like 4

Just now, FGS5635 said:

The wigan fans I know are all convinced he will be backup for them and not a starter.

Which makes me thinks there has been a fallout, or this is about getting his wages out the door

It was 100% a fall out. Can't see any other reason for the quick exit 

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

Are you a politician. In your opinion, Who has the best deal ?

Don't talk daft nobody will know that for months what if Tosin turns out to be capable of notching a few with his head but can't defend well at all being so raw ?

Hung parliament ?

A Scottish International and captain admittedly on the wane is being replaced by a rather inexperienced youngster, it'll be a while before we know the result.  Safer bet would've been replacing him with Hanley or similar.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, m1st said:

A while ago I posted on one of the threads on here that when we signed Mulgrew, I asked my Geordie pal - 'exiled' in Glasgow for 40 years or so - what his actual position was. He confirmed my suspicion that he'd been seen as a midfielder, rather than a defender.

Mowbray said that very thing, himself, about Mulgrew and, indeed Lenihan.

• Backroom

Mulgrew's best performances for us were in League 1. He was paid far more than the average League 1 player's salary. He's done just fine out of Rovers so I don't think we need to feel too sorry for him. 

With that said, if you'd told me at the end of May we'd be starting this season with Lenihan, Tosin and Williams as primary CBs for the 19/20 season, with Nyambe being used as CB & RB backup, I would not have been happy, to say the least. 

This entire window and arguably our season is dependant on the ability of Tosin at CB. If he is a success then so is the window. If he isnt, then the window and our season probably isnt.

A lot to stake on a young lad, no matter how highly rated

• Like 9

Just now, tomphil said:

Don't talk daft nobody will know that for months what if Tosin turns out to be capable of notching a few with his head but can't defend well at all being so raw ?

Hung parliament ?

A Scottish International and captain admittedly on the wane is being replaced by a rather inexperienced youngster, it'll be a while before we know the result.  Safer bet would've been replacing him with Hanley or similar.

So still no answer.

Just now, Tom said:

Mulgrew does deserve more, he captained the team and scored a goal that will be remembered for a long long time

Reflecting on yesterday I think if we were told at the start of the day we’d get rid of Mulgrew but only bring in Cunningham most of us would have been very confused seeing as we started the day needed a centre half 

Remind me?

TM or Waggott (cant remember which) in the Telegraph mentioned that we had been struggling to get a few players out on deals to give us more leeway on wages we can give out on new signings. The fact that this means we've probably given a few a players a bit too long or a bit too much on their contracts to make moving them out logical or financially viable for these players and interested clubs is another conversation but I reckon Smallwood and Evans would be two names offered around without success. 

TM obviously didnt plan to loan out CM (why when we're so short there anyway) but some disagreement must have occurred which made him come to the concluson to try get him out, free up some wages ad try for these new guys. Were the potential moves for Reed/Hanley going to be offset by this or was that money needed just to get Cunningham over the line? 

As for the actual disagreement, has the fans calling for a new defence all over social media and on here caused some kind of friction within camp?. TM was obviously flustered/stressed/angry in that interview yesterday and you cannot tell me that the players were unaware of what fans as a whole felt about our backline. 

Or is it as simple as TM telling CM that he will not be a first choice CB going forward and CM not being able to accept that (especially due to his place in the Scotland team then coming under threat from lack of playing)?

Just now, FGS5635 said:

This entire window and arguably our season is dependant on the ability of Tosin at CB. If he is a success then so is the window. If he isnt, then the window and our season probably isnt.

A lot to stake on a young lad, no matter how highly rated

Bingo, hole in one, 147 and 9 darter ?

Just the kind thing this silly club would attempt though.

Just now, JacknOry said:

TM or Waggott (cant remember which) in the Telegraph mentioned that we had been struggling to get a few players out on deals to give us more leeway on wages we can give out on new signings. The fact that this means we've probably given a few a players a bit too long or a bit too much on their contracts to make moving them out logical or financially viable for these players and interested clubs is another conversation but I reckon Smallwood and Evans would be two names offered around without success. 

TM obviously didnt plan to loan out CM (why when we're so short there anyway) but some disagreement must have occurred which made him come to the concluson to try get him out, free up some wages ad try for these new guys. Were the potential moves for Reed/Hanley going to be offset by this or was that money needed just to get Cunningham over the line? 

As for the actual disagreement, has the fans calling for a new defence all over social media and on here caused some kind of friction within camp?. TM was obviously flustered/stressed/angry in that interview yesterday and you cannot tell me that the players were unaware of what fans as a whole felt about our backline. 

Or is it as simple as TM telling CM that he will not be a first choice CB going forward and CM not being able to accept that (especially due to his place in the Scotland team then coming under threat from lack of playing)?

I wonder this also. They are nearly all on social media and more than 50% of rovers fans posts, on Twitter at least, have been giving out about the defence. I don't think Mulgrew is on Twitter though, but the others have definitely seen it. 

It's odd though because, publicly at least, what Mowbray said about "new defenders coming" was the most scathing attack and that was months ago...

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

lets move on lads gone i hope in January  Smallwood and Bennett  are moved . Evans can do a job and move on next Summer . Still think theres center half without a club out there with a point too prove just hope the club can find one

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder this also. They are nearly all on social media and more than 50% of rovers fans posts, on Twitter at least, have been giving out about the defence. I don't think Mulgrew is on Twitter though, but the others have definitely seen it. 

Possibly a bit of a group- think victim response by the players. 

Maybe, easier to focus on TM and fans' comments than the stark figure 69 in the goals against column...

• Like 1