BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Not that simple.

You are Mulgrew and you earn say £25k pw.  He is not going to walk away to earn say £10k pw somewhere else.

His agent will think Christmas has come early.

Mulgrew's wages I am led to believe are somewhere 18k plus Bonuses. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Mulgrew leaving is going to cost Rovers financially.

Think he has another season to run on his contract.

So next season, I think he will either sit on his arse at Ewood or Rovers will have to pay at least part of his contract up in order to get rid (a minimum of 1,500 season ticket sales for next season will be needed to fund that).

All those new lucrative contracts dished out by messrs Mowbray and Waggott is biting us, and will continue to do so, in the bum. 

I'm not so sure. Depends how well he plays at Wigan on loan and also what his wife and kids want to do tbh. 

I know your dislike for Mowbray and Waggott Mercer, but come on your campaign on them is starting to look like Piers Morgan's campaign against ECB and Cook for his friend Kevin Pietersen

20 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

By the start of next season Leutwiler, Downing, Graham, Mulgrew, Bennett, Samuel, Gladwin, Evans and Smallwood should all be out of Blackburn. Whether that's end of contract, retirement, selling or mutual agreement for release.

Imagine the wages that frees up: (ages correct for next year)
Downing - £6,000pw? - Aged 36
Mulgrew - £10,000pw? - Aged 34
Graham - £10,000pw? - Aged 35
Bennett - £8,000pw? - Aged 31
Evans - £10,000pw? - Aged 30
Smallwood - £5,000pw? - Aged 29

Gladwin - £3,000pw? - Aged 28
Leutwiler - £3,000pw? - Aged 31

Some of these players could even be on more than this. Differing sources say Mulgrew is nearer to £15,000pw than £10,000pw.

Total: at least £50,000 a week saved. That's well over £2,500,000 in seasonal wages saved by getting rid of that dead wood.

Right now we've got ridiculous amounts of players in our squad. Finish 10-14th this season, get rid of all of these lot and we'll be in a REALLY good position next summer.

Double those numbers and you will be closer to the mark.

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

As I said earlier, there are ways and means of rewarding managers, coaches, players which also allow you to legislate for loss of form, age catching up etc and thereby de risk potential future liabilities. 

a

At the end of the day you ve to give players contracts which protect both the player and club . If the contract isn't seen as long enough the player  leaves on a free ..and the club loses out ..and viceversa  a club picks up a fee if a player wants out. Mulgrew got a two year extension which the majority on here rejoiced.

Unless you re putting players on Pay As You play contracts then theres always going to be risk of loss of form injuries etc during a contract ..again the same at every club up and down the land.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Wow, just wow.

Now the window has slammed shut are we finally allowed to say what an abomination it was? Or will someone chirp up and say "Don't be daft, you can't judge it until we see who he brings in from the our of contract market.?"

The line has always been "Judge him at the end of the window"

So, judge away!

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Wow, just wow.

Now the window has slammed shut are we finally allowed to say what an abomination it was? Or will someone chirp up and say "Don't be daft, you can't judge it until we see who he brings in from the our of contract market.?"

I've had to give myself 24 hours to calm down a bit before commenting fully on the window, if I think about it too much it too much it'll send my blood pressure rocketing and make me ill. For me Waggott should be packing his bags today closely followed by Mowbray if as I expect we are rooted to the bottom of the table after ten games or so.

So the day before the window closes, everyone was more or less unanimous that unless we got at least one experienced CB in, then it would have been a terrible window and TM would have failed. So what happens? No CB's in and two out! I'd say there's nothing wrong with letting Mulgrew go per se, but only as a planned exercise once you have secured a better replacement. Not as a result of a row and a hissy fit barely an hour before the window shuts! The fact that the two young lads had already both been foolishly allowed to go out on loan, also gravitated against Mulgrew leaving without a replacement. As stupid as Mowbray has made himself look this window, I can't believe even he intended to leave us with one CB and a utility lad from City.

So where has this shambles off a window left us?

Attack - well stocked in terms of numbers but arguably having spent 15m over the last 12 months there still isn't a decent striker between them! I think Graham is past it and Gallagher is fairly useless frankly.  Armstrong has proved very hit and miss at this level and would probably benefit from playing down the middle. I think Brereton could be the best of them but for some unknown reason the manager won't give him a proper chance in the correct position. I think yet again we'll be hugely reliant on Dack rediscovering his mojo and scoring enough goals to keep us afloat.

Midfield: Arguably only one decent CM in Travis. Johnson may be ok for a season or two but for me needs to get a lot fitter, stop playing within himself and start taking games by the scruff of the neck. Evans and Smallwood still in the building clogging up the wage bill and blocking the youngsters. The promising Rothwell and Chapman can hardly get a game.

Defence: Where to start here? We've let 4 CB's go out this summer and arguably we've only brought in 2 full backs. In the eyes of the manager Bennett also seemingly has to be shoehorned into the side in front of arguably our most promising young player (at least before Mowbray started messing him about and dropping him) Nyambe. An absolute disgrace. 

Keeper: On the evidence of Saturday, Looks a down grade on Raya and isn't even our player. In nearly 50 years of watching us, don't think I can recall us going into a season with a loanee as our first choice keeper. Given all of the above, 69 goals conceded might be looking good come the end of this season.

I've rarely been as upset with what's going on on and off the pitch as I am at present. If Mowbray were to stay all season with this squad and play all his usual favourites I honestly think we'd struggle to get 30 points. Hopefully it would never come to that as he'd be quickly replaced if we get off to a shocker but who knows given the manager more or less appointed his boss?

Rant over, blood pressure through roof.

Genuine question: Is it possible to cancel your season ticket after one game?

• Like 1

I can not believe people actually think mulgrew made his mind up to move yesterday around 1pm to 2pm .......... get a grip this would have been planned and talked about with managers, agents and wife...... probably around the same time conway made his mind up to go to try for game time Tony would have wanted him to stay and be there if needed ( as I think the loan would show not sold ) mulgrew will want to play as not doing will mean no Scotland team and as a leader and captain you show you want to play not sit on your ass, I think it is all above board and ok for everyone 

Nooooo....don't use logic and reason. 

Reliable sources have told me that at around 14h yesterday, Mowbray spun a wheel with every player's name on it and decided to sell/loan out whoever it landed on. 

He also made no inquiries about players until after lunch yesterday. 

All in all, it was a productive afternoon. 

• Like 2

Just now, geedog13 said:

I can not believe people actually think mulgrew made his mind up to move yesterday around 1pm to 2pm .......... get a grip this would have been planned and talked about with managers, agents and wife...... probably around the same time conway made his mind up to go to try for game time Tony would have wanted him to stay and be there if needed ( as I think the loan would show not sold ) mulgrew will want to play as not doing will mean no Scotland team and as a leader and captain you show you want to play not sit on your ass, I think it is all above board and ok for everyone 

Probably true, which makes it all the more negligent of Mowbray not to replace him with an experienced centre half to lead the defence.

Just now, geedog13 said:

If yesterday was planned then why would he start the 1st game of the season & be captain?

• Like 6

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

If yesterday was planned then why would he start the 1st game of the season & be captain?

Last Hurrah. That' all

Anyway, I think it is more important who starts the next game, at Fulham. I for one would like to see a team full of players in their preferred / natural positions, rather than all this titting around with ducks out of water the whole time.

I respect peoples opinions and Simon (aka Rev) you are quite an educated chap, or at least you used to be !!!

I am not overly happy with how yesterday panned out but I really believe we are slightly better off without Mulgrew, the result percentage backs that up.

An observation re your post:

Walton is not an unknown quantity, he has shown himself to be a class keeper in this league and furthermore if he wasn't Brighton would bin him asap.

Defence - yes we have let the young ones leave BUt in Williams we have a better central defender that CM was/is ever will be. I think he will perform much better that CM add ADA and we have height, speed and skill, some attributes that CM hasn't got. Cunningham gives us better balance on the left side than Bell and probably a bit more going forwards. Right back slot has to be Nyambe or JRC, both can excel in that position given the right amount of game time AND with the solid 2 or 3 behind them.

Midfield - we have an excess of riches across the park. Johnson and Travis are the work horses and can be supplemented by both Evans and Bennett and at a push Smallwood. On the flanks we have speed and skill in Rothwell, Chapman and Armstrong. 

Forwards - we have speed in Brereton and Gallagher and we have a solid player in Graham if he keeps fit.

Lets see how the next few games go, one things for sure if we perform we will be ok, if on the other hand we take some serious beatings then TM is on his way out.

• Like 4

I think I'd be a bit less angry had this been the first bizarre failure of a window we'd had. But this has become par for the course really. Certainly since last summer our transfer business has been very strange, but even before then it was neglectful of key areas. It always seems to follow the same sort of pattern too. We go into the window talking the talk and appearing to recognise the issues, publicly admit our weaknesses, promise big things which then don't materialise. For it to happen once is disappointing. 3 or 4 times in a row suggests incompetence.

1 minute ago, geedog13 said:

At Wigan he will have competition for a place at CB. More competition than he has ever had here. Add to that a more decisive/ruthless manager and that Mulgrew will be starting from scratch there rather than being well established as top dog here and I'm struggling to see how his chances of game time are going to increase. I could understand it if he had been gradually replaced or frozen out here and was struggling for minutes but he was starting as our captain 6 days ago! Given our lack of depth he would be certain of more game time here even if not 1st choice as we will get injuries.

Something has happened. Personally I think the financial situation is heavily restricted on defensive players and the only way Mowbray was able to get Cunningham in was by offloading Mulgrew once Wigan took an interest. I wonder what would have happened had Wigan not come in. I'm sure Cunningham wouldnt be here and I'm sure we'd still be using Mulgrew in the team.

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

I think I'd be a bit less angry had this been the first bizarre failure of a window we'd had. But this has become par for the course really. Certainly since last summer our transfer business has been very strange, but even before then it was neglectful of key areas. It always seems to follow the same sort of pattern too. We go into the window talking the talk and appearing to recognise the issues, publicly admit our weaknesses, promise big things which then don't materialise. For it to happen once is disappointing. 3 or 4 times in a row suggests incompetence.

At Wigan he will have competition for a place at CB. More competition than he has ever had here. Add to that a more decisive/ruthless manager and that Mulgrew will be starting from scratch there rather than being well established as top dog here and I'm struggling to see how his chances of game time are going to increase. I could understand it if he had been gradually replaced or frozen out here and was struggling for minutes but he was starting as our captain 6 days ago! Given our lack of depth he would be certain of more game time here even if not 1st choice as we will get injuries.

Something has happened. Personally I think the financial situation is heavily restricted on defensive players and the only way Mowbray was able to get Cunningham in was by offloading Mulgrew once Wigan took an interest. I wonder what would have happened had Wigan not come in. I'm sure Cunningham wouldnt be here and I'm sure we'd still be using Mulgrew in the team. 

Personally think Mulgrews time was up regardless of any so called fall out etc etc.

Tosin is going to play ..Lenihan is going to play ...and maybe Del now hes back from injury/changing nappies. Mulgrew was found out last season . He may have kept the captaincy but I think that was just a club thing ..did someone not say Hanley was Norwich captain ?

Noticed Downing was taking corners Saturday ..said then the writing was on the wall for Mulgrew although never expected him to be shunted out on loan.

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Noticed Downing was taking corners Saturday ..said then the writing was on the wall for Mulgrew although never expected him to be shunted out on loan.

Well I was sat in the Blackburn end and Charlie definitely took the corners from his side.

Whether it is wages, a fall our or a planned ruthless move by TM on one level it doesn't look good at all. 

If it's wages we're really stuffed as there's no room to bring anyone in. The budget must be appalling especially given we sold Raya (allegedly on top of the Gally budget). This suggests there's no opportunity to take advantage of the market or to get cover in any emergencies that may occur. 

Perhaps it's a falling out. In which case I wonder if there's any of the dressing room behind TM. The young players who are slated probably won't be too keen on TM and if he annoys his inner circle as well it could be awkward. 

Or it was planned. In which case that makes the Charlton game and the captaincy a very odd situation and isn't that planned. Who doesn't replace the leadership and central defender slot when they know it's going?

Any way if happened it was a mess. The positive is Mulgrew is finished at this level so it's not a loss on the playing side. Just a sad indictment of how Rovers do things these days...

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

When has Walton ‘shown he’s a class keeper’ in the Championship?

I think it's impossible for anybody on here to state whether Walton is good or bad, unless there are people on here who regularly watched Wigan last year. You can only go by stats and the opinions of the Wigan fans, who actually did watch him. They conceded 64 goals last year, only 5 less than us, and concensus from the Wigan fans seems to be good at shot stopping, not so good as commanding his box. So basically the same strengths and weaknesses as Raya. Regardless we won't know for sure until we've seen him get a run of games and can judge for ourselves.

As for Mulgrew's transfer being a long-term thing, absolute nonsense. Nothing to suggest that was the case. I imagine we would have heard something before 4.45pm if he was being offered out or had interest from other clubs - there was literally nothing, not even links from dodgy twitter accounts or HITC. I also seriously doubt he would have been starting as captain on Saturday. It seems obvious it was a sudden decision likely prompted by something happening either on deadline day or just before it. 

• Like 5

Just now, DE. said:

I think it's impossible for anybody on here to state whether Walton is good or bad, unless there are people on here who regularly watched Wigan last year. You can only go by stats and the opinions of the Wigan fans, who actually did watch him. They conceded 64 goals last year, only 5 less than us, and concensus from the Wigan fans seems to be good at shot stopping, not so good as commanding his box. So basically the same strengths and weaknesses as Raya. Regardless we won't know for sure until we've seen him get a run of games and can judge for ourselves.

As for Mulgrew's transfer being a long-term thing, absolute nonsense. Nothing to suggest that was the case. I imagine we would have heard something before 4.45pm if he was being offered out or had interest from other clubs - there was literally nothing, not even links from dodgy twitter accounts or HITC. I also seriously doubt he would have been starting as captain on Saturday. It seems obvious it was a sudden decision likely prompted by something happening either on deadline day or just before it. 

Not that it’s likely but do we have a recall option in the loan contract??

ie after 6 months.

Same with the loans brought in by Rovers what are the terms. Full 12 months review after 6 etc recall options??

• Backroom
Just now, markhayhurst said:

Not that it’s likely but do we have a recall option in the loan contract??

ie after 6 months.

Same with the loans brought in by Rovers what are the terms. Full 12 months review after 6 etc recall options??

I actually think there's a possiblity that there is a recall option for January. Mulgrew doesn't appear to be going to Wigan as a first teamer, and they probably aren't paying all of his wages, so in a lot of ways it would make sense for us to have a clause there to recall Mulgrew in January if he's needed. I suppose it also depends on whether he was bundled out of the club under a cloud or not. If he did have a falling out with TM then it's less likely the club put any recall clauses in the contract.