BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The “blazing argument” part of this is entirely believable - things like that happen on training grounds every day. The “wanted to go to Rangers” part of it is pure invention I’m afraid.  

Yes. Indeed, there should have been a good deal of anger and frustration after that Charlton game. 

On 09/08/2019 at 05:24, TBTF said:

Completely agree.

the window has laid bare in bright lights how inadequate our set up is. We can debate the likes/dislikes of individual players but our whole approach to the window itself has been nothing short of shambolic. We have known since January where our glaring weaknesses are and this was shown up very clearly in the performances and goals conceded in Feb/March. TM makes very bold statements (I wont repeat them all again! ) about what is going to happen , how our scouting structure is being heavily invested and then we get statements about financial backing and similar budgets being made available by the owners .Basically as last season ended very public statements were made about what would happen in the window and how our target lists had been prepared .Out of the blue we sell our keeper the reasons for which were blagged by the club but don't worry the cash will be made available to supplement and make us better. In fact , is the Raya money still untouched??

We then stumble around like a bunch of drunks in the latter stages of the window , this could happen, that could happen , we still expect to do this that and the other in the final days.

Like Mulgrew or not, we end up on the final day loaning our captain to what most would consider an inferior rival in the same division and bring a left back in on loan. We bid for Reed , which must be some kind of joke given that he didn't play him in his right position and also we knew he didn't want to come north again.

The reality is that we now must rely on Nyambe/Williams at some point being central defenders if only because of injury and suspension during the season.

Not one fan thought we didn't need reinforcements at the back particularly Centre half and TM was also vocal in his agreement.

So what the hell happened? FFP has been dismissed by the Club as not an imminent threat yet we look like we are in some kind of fire sale to reduce our wage bill right at the death and this will (and actually sensibly should happen) continue with other members of the squad going to league one and two .

Its pretty much a shoe in that we will sign an out of contract centre back that nobody else wanted and it will be passed off as the plan all along.

But as an 'operation' the window and how we've approached it has been nothing short of disgraceful , punctuated by a mass of lies that culminated in the manager losing the plot and spouting more tripe than he usually does. Something has gone badly wrong that I don't think we've heard the last of .Bollox about new booths , smart screens etc to give us ''marginal gains on the pitch'' (don't get me going about that chancer , Waggott) , investment in our scouting network , bargains in Europe is looking outstandingly hollow and nonsensical as we sit here this morning and frankly I really fear for us this season. Not because I don't think we have some decent players and I expect we will play some decent stuff at times but our soft centre and sloppy goals conceded has not been addressed whilst we have unfathomably squandered big money on players that seem not to know if and where they will play.

If we embark on a poor run of results nobody will be surprised and in my opinion we have just reached a tipping point again where fury will quickly build and I don't think our management team is equipped to deal with that or put things right.

Prediction: bottom 6 for much of the first half of the season , with manager under mounting pressure before being relieved of his duties or walking end of November.

You would have to be the eternal optimist to be encouraged by where we have ended up at the end of this window in light of the narrative that has been coming out of the Club for the last 6 months.     

Good post.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Mulgrew, a Celtic fan and potentially considered a legend at the club, wanted to move to Rangers?

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The “blazing argument” part of this is entirely believable - things like that happen on training grounds every day. The “wanted to go to Rangers” part of it is pure invention I’m afraid.  

Yep, Go to Rangers?

B**locks. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Well I've been told there's no truth in the argument either.

• Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

No player is bigger than the club bad egg or not as for the rangers link I am not too sure it’s wrong ex Celtic players have gone there before and will continue to go there in the future 

He’s not just an ex Celtic player, he’s a ‘Celtic man’. Two totally different things. I think the modern description is ‘Celtic minded’.

i’ve spoken to Charlie often enough to know he would never consider joining Rangers. 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Maybe he was saying "I'd rather go to bloody Rangers than Wigan!" 

Or maybe not. Still a strange move for him to make though. From club captain, charity ambassador, and team leader at Rovers to a backup option at Wigan. He must have really wanted out of here.

As I just said in the Mowbray Out topic. Starting to think we should go back to a 442/4411 formation and play players in the roles they are accustomed to.

To have enough players to make this happen and be comfortable for the rest of the season. We could sign the following now.

• Jordan Archer (GK)
  • Danny Simpson (RB)
  • Ashley Williams (CB)
  • Lazar Marković (LM)

These players signed on contracts until the end of the season can do so with the understanding that if they perform they will get new lengthy contracts.

When January comes around we can look to move out Jayson Leutwiler, Sam Hart, Matthew Platt, Richie Smallwood and Dominic Samuel on loan or others who aren't cutting it or not getting a 1st team look-in.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Or maybe not. Still a strange move for him to make though. From club captain, charity ambassador, and team leader at Rovers to a backup option at Wigan. He must have really wanted out of here.

Strange move for Wigan too, must have known he was struggling with championship football..

If he had gone to Bolton or Blackpool fair enough !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Stinny said:

Where are you going to get the extra £60k-£80k per week wages for those guys and that's being kind. 

Summer Ins:

Stewart Downing

Bradley Johnson

Sam Gallagher

Christian Walton

Tosin Adarabioyo

Greg Cunningham

Summer Outs:

Craig Conway

Paul Downing

Jack Rodwell

Ben Gladwin

David Raya

Joe Nuttall

Scott Wharton

Tyler Magloire

Charlie Mulgrew

Wages could be offset in January from players being loaned out. On the otherhand, it could also be offset by not being relegated! ?

11 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He’s not just an ex Celtic player, he’s a ‘Celtic man’. Two totally different things. I think the modern description is ‘Celtic minded’.

i’ve spoken to Charlie often enough to know he would never consider joining Rangers. 

Maybe got wind of Rovers trying to get Hanley in and didn't fancy being on the wrong end of him in training.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Where are you going to get the extra £60k-£80k per week wages for those guys and that's being kind. 

It'll be tough to find those extra now obviously but how much do you think was committed to in summer on Downing, Johnson and Gallagher ?   They aren't all coming here for half their heft previous pay packets i can guarantee it.

13 hours ago, DE. said:

As in....I'd rather play for Burney than vote for Boris Johnson?

• Like 2

On 09/08/2019 at 20:32, Trinidad Rover said:

started for Norwich as captain, so surely he was never even an option for us.....

He's their 4 choice centre half. Zimmerman Klose out injured and Godfrey ahead of him. After watching him against Liverpool I am quite relieved we didn't sign him. Yes it's Liverpool and not Charlton but he is more of a calamity than Williams and Lenihan. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Yes it's Liverpool and not Charlton but he is more of a calamity than Williams and Lenihan. 

He wasnt a calamity until the own goal. He's so much better than Del and Lenihan as centre halves go....him and the big guy would do me in the middle. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

He wasnt a calamity until the own goal. He's so much better than Del and Lenihan as centre halves go....him and the big guy would do me in the middle. 

Perhaps he could get himself sacked for going on the lash and we can then sign him as a free agent.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Wilfried Bony training with Newport, that’s a story I didn’t expect to see!

Just coming on here to say the same Tom. He’s only 30 so plenty of years left in him if he can regain some of his previous form. I’d prefer to have him up top over Gallagher or Brereton that’s for sure. We don’t need a striker as we spunked £12m on two fairly average ones but I would have taken him on a free over the pair of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My guess we can expect some movement by the end of the L1/2 window; perhaps one or two younger players out on loan but not the four identified as first team squad players now.

The player I hope something happens for is Richie Smallwood.

Clearly not quick enough of mind to hack it in the Championship but probably the difference between securing promotion or not for a League 1 side. If no higher clubs come in, in the unlikely event either Bolton or Bury emerge from their death spirals, new ownerships could do an awful lot worse than rebuilding around Smallwood. 

• Like 1