Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Amo said:

In an ideal world, the XI would be:

*((NEW GK))

Nyambe - **Bauer - Lenihan - ((NEW LB))

Chapman - Reed - Travis - Armstrong/Rothwell

Dack

Graham

* Would keep Raya but he needs competition
** or the equivalent

Too gung-ho for our Tony?

Looks good but we need more height in that central midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2019 at 17:08, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

All depends on whether youngsters come good - would argue that one of Travis, Davenport or Rothwell could meet midfield requirement. Wide player - Chapman - centre forward Brereton (seems unlikely at moment). For me the big issue is defence and possibly another decent forward.

I'd say the only position we have the required quality and quantity is central midfield and number 10. Every single other position we could sign players for.

Not an exaggeration to say 7 players. 2 CB, 1 RB, 1 LB, 1 winger, 2 strikers. Maybe a keeper.

If Dack and Lenihan go we'd need another two also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to see Travis playing in the right wing back spot where he excelled in the under 23s. Certainly has the engine for it. I believe Rankin-Costello is playing there for the under 23s now and creating plenty of chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Swanson said:

Is Patrick Bauer such a good player that we will be getting competiton from bigger clubs for his signature? (I am guessing that we will go for him since we we're looking at him in both past windows) He is a free agent in the summer, right?

I didn't see anything in January to suggest we were going for him, beyond fan speculation.

In fact TM pretty much came out at the end of the window saying we weren't looking for any defenders as we were just hunky dory there. I forget how he phrased it exactly but that was certainly how it read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To sort out the defence I'd go for the following.

 

Patrick Bauer 

Axel tuanzebe

Jay da silva

 

Players out would be

 

Mulgrew or Downing 

Williams

 

Can't see why that would be unreasonable. Tuanzebe and Da Silva are meant to be having good individual seasons and I'd hope teams like Villa and Bristol city are who we are aiming to get above next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never thought I'd advocate a back 3  but that's maybe the way to go considering our use of wingers is a joke. We put the lowest number of crosses in the box in the league, or close to the lowest. Rothwell and Dack behind Graham might be more productive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Fantasy to think well be signing Villa and Bristol City's 1st teamers in the summer or that we'll be looking to go above them next season. 

And your reasoning is? If Rovers intend to push on then they need to challenge teams in the market as well as the league.

 

The two lads are on loan. If Rovers want to lift the place and set a tone for the players and fans to follow then it has to be more quality and less quantity.

 

Many on here would claim we can sign Reed which to me is even more fantasy than them two.

 

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Never thought I'd advocate a back 3  but that's maybe the way to go considering our use of wingers is a joke. We put the lowest number of crosses in the box in the league, or close to the lowest. Rothwell and Dack behind Graham might be more productive. 

Again this worked once against a Wigan team that literally give us the game. When you look at the potential team next season you've got players like Armstrong and Chapman to get into the team along with Dack or Rothwell. 

 

We only ever play one up front so the thought of Chapman and/or Armstrong having a defensive duty with no one behind them is suicide. For me it's got to be 4231 to allow Dack as much freedom as possible. Have two wide players and two fallbacks.

 

Simple and effective as the manager can't do anything complex well. It failed in league 1 and will fail in the championship unless we signed top top quality in this league who would drag the formation to success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom Stinny said:

And your reasoning is? If Rovers intend to push on then they need to challenge teams in the market as well as the league.

 

The two lads are on loan. If Rovers want to lift the place and set a tone for the players and fans to follow then it has to be more quality and less quantity.

 

Many on here would claim we can sign Reed which to me is even more fantasy than them two.

 

Again this worked once against a Wigan team that literally give us the game. When you look at the potential team next season you've got players like Armstrong and Chapman to get into the team along with Dack or Rothwell. 

 

We only ever play one up front so the thought of Chapman and/or Armstrong having a defensive duty with no one behind them is suicide. For me it's got to be 4231 to allow Dack as much freedom as possible. Have two wide players and two fallbacks.

 

Simple and effective as the manager can't do anything complex well. It failed in league 1 and will fail in the championship unless we signed top top quality in this league who would drag the formation to success.

I think we could have done but I think that now even if was made available, he would choose elsewhere. He has stated that he sees himself as a CM, so while a model pro that will play anywhere the manager asks, I think secretly he would want to be going somewhere that will put him there. Our current form will hardly help either as he might think he'll be in for a relegation scrap next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Never thought I'd advocate a back 3  but that's maybe the way to go considering our use of wingers is a joke. We put the lowest number of crosses in the box in the league, or close to the lowest. Rothwell and Dack behind Graham might be more productive. 

One thing is for sure ,if 3-5-2 is the way forward now is the perfect time to test it. Let Tony play this transformative way he keeps telling us is round the corner

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I think we could have done but I think that now even if was made available, he would choose elsewhere. He has stated that he sees himself as a CM, so while a model pro that will play anywhere the manager asks, I think secretly he would want to be going somewhere that will put him there. Our current form will hardly help either as he might think he'll be in for a relegation scrap next season.

I agree, he started less than 5 games for us in centre mid. He could quite easily start centre mid for a team higher up the league in CM. Unless Mowbray was to give him assurances about starting there every week I can't see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reed should be the first name on the team sheet in central midfield, along with Travis. Both always look to get the ball moving forward as early as possible.

If we persist with Smalllwood, Evans & Bennett in the same side next season then we're only going one way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Reed should be the first name on the team sheet in central midfield, along with Travis. Both always look to get the ball moving forward as early as possible.

If we persist with Smalllwood, Evans & Bennett in the same side next season then we're only going one way.

Not to be picky but TWO ways, sideways or backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2019 at 08:05, MarkBRFC said:

If we persist with Smalllwood, Evans & Bennett in the same side next season then we're only going one way.

I have it on good authority we are looking at Ben Whiteman at Donny. Good player, central mid, can score and has good technique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I have it on good authority we are looking at Ben Whiteman at Donny. Good player, central mid, can score and has good technique.

And Mowbray will play him at right-back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I have it on good authority we are looking at Ben Whiteman at Donny. Good player, central mid, can score and has good technique.

You never give up touting him on here I'll give you that 🙂 How is your mate Ben?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all Mowbray’s rollocks about ‘bringing in the right characters’ he hasn’t brought in one leader. Just posted it in the match thread but watch our reactions for each SW goal. Bennett as captain material is laughable. I would say leadership needs to be our number one attribute for signings this summer, but let’s face it would you trust TM to get it right? I wouldn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

You never give up touting him on here I'll give you that 🙂 How is your mate Ben?

Someone must be watching this site

We are definitely looking at him😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

For all Mowbray’s rollocks about ‘bringing in the right characters’ he hasn’t brought in one leader. Just posted it in the match thread but watch our reactions for each SW goal. Bennett as captain material is laughable. I would say leadership needs to be our number one attribute for signings this summer, but let’s face it would you trust TM to get it right? I wouldn’t.

Ya I would put him just ahead of Lowe in terms of captain material. 

Mowbray has messed up recruitment since the end of the league 1 season, no doubt about that. I would give him the summer all the same. It sounds like he has lost patience with some payers here, but time will really tell on that. The players he gets rid of this summer will tell more of a story than who we sign. He has a big job on his hands 

Ideally I would like Jockonovic to come in, but no point talking about it, cos it ain't happening 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive  rebuild in summer unfortunately  i'm losing faith with Tony and his blind faith in Smallwood, Williams, Bennett ,Conway and Evans its peeing me off .  We need big nasty defenders  who will put there head in where it hurts  and left and right back with pace  and brains  and a real ball winning midfielder who can go box too box .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, had.e.nuff said:

I think our best signing would be a proper defensive coach

Just a proper coaching team full stop would help including a proper keeper coach, Venus obviously there because he's TMs pal but Lowe & Benson are just cheapo appointments I struggle to see what they bring to it other than stuff straight of the standard FA coaching manual which anyone could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.