Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Dack to Man Utd?

Kinell silly season has begun in earnest on here! :D

He would probably help keep them up tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, philipl said:

If we are not after players who are attracting that level of clubs, I am not interested.

Will probably mean frustrated chases missing targets but over to Mowbray to sell Rovers and our ambition level.

I think that's an overlooked part of the equation. Can Mowbray sell Rovers to players who have other Championship clubs interested in them?

Last summer we were turned down by Celina and failed to attract Freeman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think that's an overlooked part of the equation. Can Mowbray sell Rovers to players who have other Championship clubs interested in them?

Last summer we were turned down by Celina and failed to attract Freeman. 

You only have to look at the experiences of other players Mowbray has signed for this division.

Rothwell

Brereton

Armstrong

Chapman

Davenport

Rodwell

Reed

Palmer

He has run it as a clique this season and players have to fight their way into that clique - largely his League One side.

He has made a statement that his approach will change this coming season.

Will potential recruits take the chance? Does Mowbray even have any ambition for better than mid table? And how do you sell that to anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only links and rumours I know but nice to see us linked to players who we can get excited about. 

Lindsay is a quality centre back, has height and is at a good age.

While I don’t know much about Maher he sounds like a quality player who could make a diffence to our midfield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mr Maher looks like he can play across the AM roles. He's the new Rothwell/Armstrong/Payne/Antonnson

Or Dack, once he completes his move to United. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Or Dack, once he completes his move to United. 

🤔It crossed my mind, but maybe West Ham United and not the Manc variety. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James Wilson has left United and is available. He has had some injuries and a lack of confidence but our man TM might be the tonic for a kid who had loads of potential just a very short while ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mick said:

James Wilson has left United and is available. He has had some injuries and a lack of confidence but our man TM might be the tonic for a kid who had loads of potential just a very short while ago. 

He could only score 3 goals in 20 games in the SPL last year, not someone we should be signing for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve already signed a barrel full of potential talent, and have potential talent trying to get into the first team from the development squad.

If we are only going to loan or give one season deals to freebies for actual proven Championship quality players then we may as well just focus on that market and forget about permanent signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I've only been gone a few hours and you're off again with yer ITK wannabe gubbins.;)

Pray tell how you 'know for a fact he's regarded highly' at Everton?

Everton scouts a client at my families accountancy firm. Does freelance for Swansea too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 13:15, JoeHarvey said:

Adam Maher at AZ out of contract this summer. Could be who he was watching?

Also, 29th April 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Thing is, Paul. What constitutes failure? Where is the line? Promotion? Play-offs? Survival? Meeting his own targets?

And even if he does fail, is he really ‘done’? There will always be some fans defending him.

Failure for me is not being anywhere near the playoff spots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, a mentally and physically fit Dack is a very good Championship player.

Rhodes scored goals for fun at Rovers but, IMO, has failed miserably since leaving.  When we first signed Rhodes and he scored a few goals, some on here were lauding him as the new Shearer - it was nonsense.  I always thought his lack of pace, aggression and physicality  would prevent him from hacking it in the PL - in fact, I think he's now struggling at Championship level.

I see similar hype where Dack is concerned, however, IMO, his lack of pace and an indifferent attitude will prevent Dack from even getting to the PL never mind hacking it at that level.  When at Rovers, for most of the time, I thought Rhodes made the most of what he had in his locker - sadly, I don't think that could be said about Dack. 

He has clearly been mentally and physically fit then considering his excellent statistics. If hes not fit then he really is some player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Everton scouts a client at my families accountancy firm. Does freelance for Swansea too.

Good man. Pleased you weren't upset about the 'mithering'. It all got a bit snowflakey for a while back there. 

So, you think he's good enough for Everton? I do, I think Dack would score anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Failure for me is not being anywhere near the playoff spots.  

That's quite vague. Is 5 points adrift of the PO's at the end of next season success?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good man. Pleased you weren't upset about the 'mithering'. It all got a bit snowflakey for a while back there. 

So, you think he's good enough for Everton? I do, I think Dack would score anywhere.

Personally, probably not. But Maddison made the cut at Leicester, and it’s not like Everton are a top side anymore are they. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's quite vague. Is 5 points adrift of the PO's at the end of next season success?

The short answer for me is yes. We need to see improvement and achievement of our stated goal.

The season before last, TM said promotion was the target.

Last season he said the target was 60 points

This season the target has been set at top 6. So if we just miss out on 6th then I can accept that. If we fair like this season then it’s not good enough. Simple as that.

Edited by Paul Mani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Mani said:

The short answer for me is yes. We need to see improvement and achievement of our stated goal.

The season before last, TM said promotion was the target.

Last season he said the target was 60 points

This season the target has been set at top 6. So if we just miss out on 6th then I can accept that. If we fair like this season then it’s not good enough. Simple as that.

Disingenuous. Mowbray said the target was 60 points about a month before the end of the season. The actual target at the start of the season was the PO's - Evans let that slip. 

If the target is top 6 this season and Mowbray finishes 7th he has failed. Simple as that. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people need to realise that it would be a huge achievement to reach the play offs. I don’t think anyone can expect us to get that. No doubt that has to be the aim otherwise we’d be doing nothing but making up the numbers, and with the right recruitment we certainly have a chance, but there are many teams with much more quality, money and experience. 

If we got close to reaching the playoffs while also developing players, our style of play and improving (especially defensively) from last season then that can’t be seen as a failure, although it can’t be seen as a success either.

 

Edited by TruRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Disingenuous. Mowbray said the target was 60 points about a month before the end of the season. The actual target at the start of the season was the PO's - Evans let that slip. 

If the target is top 6 this season and Mowbray finishes 7th he has failed. Simple as that. 

Ironically it became the excuse to not play the youngsters apart from very fleetingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Disingenuous. Mowbray said the target was 60 points about a month before the end of the season. The actual target at the start of the season was the PO's - Evans let that slip. 

If the target is top 6 this season and Mowbray finishes 7th he has failed. Simple as that. 

I’m being disingenuous or he is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TruRover said:

I think people need to realise that it would be a huge achievement to reach the play offs. I don’t think anyone can expect us to get that. No doubt that has to be the aim otherwise we’d be doing nothing but making up the numbers, and with the right recruitment we certainly have a chance, but there are many teams with much more quality, money and experience. 

If we got close to reaching the playoffs while also developing players, our style of play and improving (especially defensively) from last season then that can’t be seen as a failure, although it can’t be seen as a success either.

 

Sheff Utd just  got promoted to the Prem with 5 players who were with them in League 1 PLUS they also spent less than Rovers last summer. 

What you perhaps need to realise is that they did this because they have a quality manager. When you say it will be difficult for us to reach the play offs I agree - for the simple reason that we don't have a quality manager. We just have an average manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Disingenuous. Mowbray said the target was 60 points about a month before the end of the season. The actual target at the start of the season was the PO's - Evans let that slip. 

If the target is top 6 this season and Mowbray finishes 7th he has failed. Simple as that. 

I also don’t think for one second that anyone’s target last season was the playoffs. 

Evans point in context was him talking about the period before Christmas when they had been looking up at the promotion spots. Then the consequent disappointment of not kicking on.

If it’s top 6 or nothing for you then fine. That’s your opinion 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.