BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I’d be happy with Sam Gallagher especially with the high pressing game we were trying to implement at the end of the season. Not at £5million though. Couple of million perhaps max. It’s not a good sign that we are spending that much of the budget on a position where in theory (Graham and Brereton) we are covered. 

Suggests that we are either not spending the budget on the defence or Dack is be sold (selling our best player never works for us)

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Both of who are a class or two above fat bradley......

Our top scorer for the last two seasons deserves a lot more respect than that!

Out if interest, how many times have you seen both of those two play? 

Longstaff must have made about 10 appearances pre-injury and I’ve never seen James play, though granted he seems to be highly rated.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

We seem to get linked with the same old faces each window.

Hopefully our international network which will scour Europe for cheap talent that Mowbray can mould into brilliant footballers and sell for millions will kick in at some point over the next 3-4 years.

There are dots join up with some of them so they'll keep getting pushed or maybe advertised using our name although there always be legs in them to us because of those dots.

No coincidence that it's Nixon always pushing the same ones either.

Edited by tomphil

In isolation I think Sam Gallagher would be a terrific signing and think 5 million would prove to be excellent business.

However with the lack of budget and needing defense and a keeper sorting as a priority I think he is a luxury we cannot afford as well as the possibility Tony plays him anywhere but as the main striker and ruins him would also be a major concern.

If dack is sold for 12 million plus I would bite Southampton hand off.

I'd be enquiring about the Reed situation why I was up there

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

In isolation I think Sam Gallagher would be a terrific signing and think 5 million would prove to be excellent business.

However with the lack of budget and needing defense and a keeper sorting as a priority I think he is a luxury we cannot afford as well as the possibility Tony plays him anywhere but as the main striker and ruins him would also be a major concern.

If dack is sold for 12 million plus I would bite Southampton hand off.

I'd be enquiring about the Reed situation why I was up there

Totally agree with this and it is a bit of a concern that every forward player we get linked with or would like to have a punt on the first thought is 'can't see him being used in his proper position' !

That's something Mowbray REALLY needs to get to grips with but I think we all know who'll be starting on the right often next season, he's already here, he's a striker and he didn't cost 7 million.......

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Our top scorer for the last two seasons deserves a lot more respect than that!

Out if interest, how many times have you seen both of those two play? 

Longstaff must have made about 10 appearances pre-injury and I’ve never seen James play, though granted he seems to be highly rated.

I've seen them both quite a bit, and it is sad that our top scorer spent the latter half of the season not performing and looking like he couldn't be arsed. And yes he did look out of condition for large parts of the season. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I've seen them both quite a bit, and it is sad that our top scorer spent the latter half of the season not performing and looking like he couldn't be arsed. And yes he did look out of condition for large parts of the season. 

He pretty much carried us for at least the last season and a half, so he’s allowed a slump in form, to be fair...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Neal said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/26/report-blackburn-plotting-5m-bid-for-southamptons-sam-gallagher/

Nixon linking us with Gallagher? 5 Mill seems a bit steep for someone who's hardly played or scored in the past 12 months. 

Agree.

Would be an uninspiring signing.

Brereton, Gallagher at a total of £12million+.

We need a manager who knows how to work the market.

• Like 4

Completely hypothetical but would anyone do a straight swap with Southampton with dack going one way and Reed and Gallagher coming to ewood ?

(There's no real transfer stories to discuss so why not )

Reed and Austin

Completely hypothetical but would anyone do a straight swap with Southampton with dack going one way and Reed and Gallagher coming to ewood ?

No. I think if Dack leaves we need to use the money to strengthen our defence first then whatever is left we could put towards Gally or the like.

Just to set the record straight. Nixon said that Rovers “MAY need a sale to do ALL they want”. In other words, we probably have a budget of some kind but if TM wants to spend big on a CB and Striker, then he’ll have to sell. We can’t keep spending net £10 million every summer, otherwise we’ll be straight in embargo. That is just a fact.

Just now, JeffRover said:

Just to set the record straight. Nixon said that Rovers “MAY need a sale to do ALL they want”. In other words, we probably have a budget of some kind but if TM wants to spend big on a CB and Striker, then he’ll have to sell. We can’t keep spending net £10 million every summer, otherwise we’ll be straight in embargo. That is just a fact.

I believe the following is correct... The losses to fail FFP are 36m. Last year we lost 17m. Simply put, we can lose 19m over the next two seasons?

20 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'd snap there hands off

Just now, pick32 said:

Berahino could be a good option just been sacked by stoke 

Be interesting to see if Stoke take the same moral stance if a player who is actually doing the business gets convicted!

Clearly a very good player in there, but not good odds that he'll turn his career round at this point in my view. He'll go to a championship cub who get desperate in all likelihood. I hope that it's not us.

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 1

5m would be too much for Gallagher imo, we need to be abit smarter in the window than that. Reckon anything around 2m would be good business but wouldn’t stretch beyond that. Would much rather us try and get Austin whose allowed to leave this summer although I can imagine wages might be an issue.

No doubt that reed was the best midfielder at the club last season, and I like many would love to see him back, but I also wonder if he is too much of a similar player to Travis to fork out 5m+ on. We really do need to a cm who can do the defensive side of the game while also set the tempo and dictate play, and I’m not sure that is reeds game, which is why I think TM is after a technical midfielder.  

I think we could get more than Reed and Gally would cost for Dack tbh.

The only problem I see is to get the best from Dack we have to play him in behind one central striker so BB and AA have to play out wide when they play as neither are suited to playing up top alone Gallagher for all he's a big lad I don't know if his hold up play is suited to being a lone target man either so he would probably get shunted out wide as well. 

Assuming that there is a budget and that’s a big assumption.  The first on the shopping list should be a big uncomplicated centre back, someone in the mould of Matt Woods, Tony Gale,  and dare I say Glenn Keeley who would stick his head where others would think twice about putting their boot.

In my opinion that would improve the goalkeeper beyond recognition, and first and foremost a reasonable team needs a good spine.  Once that is achieved then look at other positions, probably right back to prevent the centre backs being pulled out of position to cover.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

Makes the Brereton transfer even more inexplicable.

• Like 1

Gallagher is bang average at best. Reed would be useful if Mowbray would actually play him in the middle rather than wasting his talents out wide but hypothetically sacrificing Dack to bring them in would be a seriously backwards move imo.

That said even if we signed no-one for the next season or two we'd probably fall foul of FFP purely on the basis of our operating losses so blowing £7m on BB and not playing him, handing out new contracts like sweeties to players who should have been discarded and talk of slow burns and long term plans seems all the more baffling and negligent.

• Like 5

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Gallagher is bang average at best. Reed would be useful if Mowbray would actually play him in the middle rather than wasting his talents out wide but hypothetically sacrificing Dack to bring them in would be a seriously backwards move imo.

That said even if we signed no-one for the next season or two we'd probably fall foul of FFP purely on the basis of our operating losses so blowing £7m on BB and not playing him, handing out new contracts like sweeties to players who should have been discarded and talk of slow burns and long term plans seems all the more baffling and negligent.

Could always splash it this year and then sell players next summer like most teams are doing around us now

• Like 1

I'd pay 3.5m tops for Gallagher. 5m is way too much in my estimation.

If we say got Gallagher, gk, a lb, a rb and a cb that would be decent business. How we do that on our budget I'm not sure.

Linked to this I don't really think we should prioritise buying a central midfielder, but that seems to be near the top of TMs shopping list. I'd be happy loaning someone in again as we have Travis and Davenport coming through, plus Evans and Smallwood hanging about. Obviously I would like an upgrade but limited funds need to be spent up front, at gk and in defence for me.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I believe the following is correct... The losses to fail FFP are 36m. Last year we lost 17m. Simply put, we can lose 19m over the next two seasons?

I may be mistaken, but I think our League One losses aren't included in the 3-year FFP calculations as League One and Two follow their own version of FFP ("SCMP"), which essentially says any losses are fine (for recently relegated clubs, as I think there is an exception made for contracts signed whilst above League One) as long as the owner covers it. (Oddly, and sadly for smaller L1 clubs, they don't seem to have considered the possibility for 'big spenders' with deep-pocketed owners, like Wolves, Rovers, and Sunderland, dropping down to L1 and spending like sailors...)

At the very least, checking the EFL website, it doesn't clarify whether League One losses count in the 3-year FFP calculation, but it does point out that promotion-related payments are excluded, so any promotion-related costs from 17/18 are excluded from our £17m loss for FFP purposes (as is a certain amount of our academy expenditure).

One thing to keep in mind for FFP is player profits can be booked immediately, while transfer fees are amortised over the years of the contract. So, if Brereton was £6m with a 3-year contract, his accounting cost is £2m for three years. Hence selling Dack (if it comes to that...) acts as an 'escape valve' for us FFP-wise given his original fee was so low (and will be well-amortised by now) so almost all of the fee (minus sell-ons to Gillingham, I suppose) would go to that year's finances. I don't think there's an urgency to sell Dack in the next year or two, but could very well be the case in a couple years' time (and by that point, if Dack's generally continued his form and we're still puttering around mid-table, we can probably expect him to be off anyway)

• Like 2