BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I remember that Norwich game with Bradley Johnson and saying the same thing - he was the outstanding player in the championship. Age, wage, type of player may be a problem - him and Travis is solid but too negative.

I see that Charlton have offered terms to Aribo and Bauer. Rovers must find out what terms they are offered from Charlton and then "Gazump" both offers by a few £k.

... of course, we would then be "Gazumped" by other teams. ??

I don't expect either of them to be at either Rovers or Chalton come August. Still, lets be proactive for once.

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

So we seem to have a decent budget, and there should be optimism for the new season. 

For a club of our size it could be a lot worse.

I agree. How many teams will be forced to sell? Swansea need 30 million, Leeds look like selling without an injection of capital given eleven sports owner Radrazzani who owns Leeds is actively touting them and lost tv rights.

middlesborough are offloading to comply with ffp, Steve Gibson has launched legal action against Derby for selling there ground which is delaying Wednesday and their Thai owner doing the same depending on this outcome. West Brom need to offload and lost Gayle 25 goals. 

Huddersfield won’t spend under a new local owner and bound to lose Lossl and the big German their crux of defence. Hull are selling any asset going usually so I’d be surprised to see Bowen there in September especially as he’s a HG player for any Prem side (Burnley).  Another 25 goals.

Birmingham will be watched on any spending and have to pay a fine which is included in ffp calculations, Forest have to sell before buying and I’m sur ethere 5milluon court case against Fawaz over the sale agreement and purchased debt must be in ffp calculations too.

Other than Fulham and Stoke maybe Bristol City who I think will go for it I don’t fear anyone next year. Us and Cardiff playoffs as a minimum, Tans held off converting the rest of debt to equity I think he will take this years profit and a meaty parachute and sell the club if they make a decent start minimising his loses much what I think venkys wish to replicate. 

Looking at our lot and the under 30 comment I can see a young marque signing again. Think it’s under 23s from academy whose wages are exempt from ffp. Though it might change dependant on appearances. We’ve a conveyor of talent to bolster us mid season with Magloire and Butterworth. That said our losses of 17million factor in we lost around 5 of revenue was about 12 in reality less any exemptions under ffp and are probably under SCmP which had its own graces. The way we operate now losing circa 12 a year is borderline On ffp but at moment it seems like Cheston and KPMG have found a way to work it without damaging us every year and quietly running us pretty well in that respect. 

Expecting personally two Europeans a striker and defender, a marque English player who won’t command wages. Almost thought we’d hit the nail twice when I saw Matt Clarke from Pompey linked.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 6

Just now, Scotland1 said:

I agree. How many teams will be forced to sell? Swansea need 30 million, Leeds look like selling without an injection of capital given eleven sports owner Radrazzani who owns Leeds is actively touting them and lost tv rights.

middlesborough are offloading to comply with ffp, Steve Gibson has launched legal action against Derby for selling there ground which is delaying Wednesday and their Thai owner doing the same depending on this outcome. West Brom need to offload and lost Gayle 25 goals. 

Huddersfield won’t spend under a new local owner and bound to lose Lossl and the big German their crux of defence. Hull are selling any asset going usually so I’d be surprised to see Bowen there in September especially as he’s a HG player for any Prem side (Burnley).  Another 25 goals.

Birmingham will be watched on any spending and have to pay a fine which is included in ffp calculations, Forest have to sell before buying and I’m sur ethere 5milluon court case against Fawaz over the sale agreement and purchased debt must be in ffp calculations too.

Other than Fulham and Stoke maybe Bristol City who I think will go for it I don’t fear anyone next year. Us and Cardiff playoffs as a minimum, Tans held off converting the rest of debt to equity I think he will take this years profit and a meaty parachute and sell the club if they make a decent start minimising his loses much what I think venkys wish to replicate. 

Looking at our lot and the under 30 comment I can see a young marque signing again. Think it’s under 23s from academy whose wages are exempt from ffp. Though it might change dependant on appearances. We’ve a conveyor of talent to bolster us mid season with Magloire and Butterworth. That said our losses of 17million factor in we lost around 5 of revenue was about 12 in reality less any exemptions under ffp and are probably under SCmP which had its own graces. The way we operate now losing circa 12 a year is borderline On ffp but at moment it seems like Cheston and KPMG have found a way to work it without damaging us every year and quietly running us pretty well in that respect. 

Expecting personally two Europeans a striker and defender, a marque English player who won’t command wages. Almost thought we’d hit the nail twice when I saw Matt Clarke from Pompey linked.

Wow that's us up then.....can't wait.

Elphick and Bauer would compliment what we had already, Adamoh yes but I’d worry about his wage in a position I don’t see a desperation for, an upgrade i concede although Davenport and Travis have potential to grow. Left back, right back are still major for me. If we can sort them out then we can tackle , gk, striker and wingers. Need a few loans in there, we didn’t use that enough last year when you see the play off final, all the best players were on loan , our only hit was reed 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

What I don't get with Goodwillie was, with his duck-feet running style and general lack of speed, how did anyone scout him and think he might be good enough in the first place?

They didn't Kean lined it up before he even got the nod for full time gig at Ewood according to Craig Brown.  It was parr for the course under Venkys....off an agents list I think the method of scouting was picking off what certain people presented.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

The key is going to be the loanees we get from Premier League clubs.

No way would Villa be going up without Tammy Abrahams.  

In 7 years we must have had 30 loans from Premier League clubs and about 4 who were any good. Cairney, Reed, Gallagher, Keane. 

They're either hard to find or we aren't very good at picking them but the majority have been a waste of time, space and money. Either way, basing our promotion plans on it is risky. We need a better squad before adding a couple of quality loans. We will struggle to do it paying 5k a week out when WBA are paying 30k.

12 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

All that well argued analysis by Scotland1 and that's all you can manage.

33 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Wow that's us up then.....can't wait.

The optimist in me allows me to dream! 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

In 7 years we must have had 30 loans from Premier League clubs and about 4 who were any good. Cairney, Reed, Gallagher, Keane. 

They're either hard to find or we aren't very good at picking them but the majority have been a waste of time, space and money. Either way, basing our promotion plans on it is risky. We need a better squad before adding a couple of quality loans. We will struggle to do it paying 5k a week out when WBA are paying 30k.

Gestede was alright 

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Scottish league is pony. Although I think @Scotland1 might disagree with me there :)

It's just so hard to judge when you have one team so dominant. It's difficult for players at other clubs to play well consistently year after year. If they play well, they will end up at Celtic or Rangers and then they basically play with an under 23 team playing under 16s every week.

Certainly some great players there, but you couldn't predict how they will go in England. In fairness McGinn has been a  revelation, but he is in the minority. 

The difference is Mcginn and Mceough, sums it up for me. Both looked good in the same team but one is more than up for it and is probably premiership level and the other is meh, couldnt cut it in L1. Thats what you get with the Scottish leagues and I really hope our scouting goes much further than that. 

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

What I don't get with Goodwillie was, with his duck-feet running style and general lack of speed, how did anyone scout him and think he might be good enough in the first place?

One overhead kick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Elphick and Bauer would compliment what we had already, Adamoh yes but I’d worry about his wage in a position I don’t see a desperation for, an upgrade i concede although Davenport and Travis have potential to grow. Left back, right back are still major for me. If we can sort them out then we can tackle , gk, striker and wingers. Need a few loans in there, we didn’t use that enough last year when you see the play off final, all the best players were on loan , our only hit was reed 

I've only seen Bauer once but he looked deeply average to me. I wouldn't say he was much of an improvement on Downing and not nearly as good as Lenehan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

The optimist in me allows me to dream! 

Aye, a European forward and defender?  Do you mean not from the UK or Ireland? I'm not sure Tony goes past whitby on his holidays. 

Give us some names then as this is so unlike Tony that you must have an inkling to suggest it.....

10 hours ago, JeffRover said:

Waggott in the LT states we’ve got a similar budget to last year, meaning we have probably between 5 - 10 million to spend.

So that's £2.5M for players and £7M for a future young star!  :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think very little of the Scottish league...but I completely agree. First my eyes took in 16 goals (actually 15 turns out) in the SPL, and I went 'eh', then I read onto 'from midfield' and thought 'ooh interesting' then that he was only 19 and suddenly I'm very interested. Not a player I know, obviously, but surely worth scouting and considering. Sounds like 2.5 million from the article you put up, and maybe could be obtained a touch cheaper. Try to make a chunk incentivised etc...

Also worth considering 'midfield' covers a lot of different roles. Anyone know more about whether he plays in that Dack-type 'midfield' role, the wings, etc?

The Scottish league is about average for a country of 5.5m people. The difference is we use to produce quality Football people, Dalglish/Souness and the sort. That has fallen by the wayside and the fault lies with the SFA, Rangers and Celtic. Actually think the SPL is getting better very slowly. Clarke coming in as National Manager is huge.

John McGinn was the best player in the Championship for me last year, partial to all action Centre Midfielder, and he was plucked from Hibs last year so there are good players in Scotland. 

Edited by Fraserkirky

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

The Scottish league is about average for a country of 5.5m people. The difference is we use to produce quality Football people, Dalglish/Souness and the sort. That has fallen by the wayside and the fault lies with the SFA, Rangers and Celtic. Actually think the SPL is getting better very slowly. Clarke coming in as National Manager is huge.

John McGinn was the best player in the Championship for me last year, partial to all action Centre Midfielder, and he was plucked from Hibs last year so there are good players in Scotland. 

Really gutted we missed out on McGinn, Villas best player which says a lot considering they are packed full of former PL stars. They got him at a snip too, half what we paid for BB.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

There's quite a few more decent ones than the 4 you mentioned, including a few who were absolutely key players.

Kazim-Richards, Gestede, Tommy Hoban, Baptiste, Tunnicliffe, Jordi Gomez, Danny Graham, Tom Lawrence, Emnes, Harry Chapman, Adam Armstrong, Jack Payne.

I wouldn't say loans have hurt as at all.  Our hit/miss ratio for loans is about the same as buys I would say.

What's hurt us most is bringing in over the hill rubbish like Murphy, Etuhu and Best on massive contracts. We would have been better off with bringing in loans in those cases.

About half of any years recruitment will be loans, and the teams that go up usually have made a number of great loans. We have to emulate that.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Fantastic post. Thanks for the insight into the financials. I also agree on the changing landscape and i believe that we have a real chance next season based on that and the information being recieved from Waggott re the budget.

Re the signings - can you clarify if that’s five or three signings you’re expecting? Any loans? 

11 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Really good post that. I would like us to go for Matt Clarke as well. I work in hampshire and some colleagues are Pompey fans and rate him very highly. Not getting promoted may mean he wants out.

Jarod (Bowen) will probably end up at Everton who have been monitoring him for a long time. 

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

They didn't Kean lined it up before he even got the nod for full time gig at Ewood according to Craig Brown.  It was parr for the course under Venkys....off an agents list I think the method of scouting was picking off what certain people presented.

and the money...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricky said:

Really good post that. I would like us to go for Matt Clarke as well. I work in hampshire and some colleagues are Pompey fans and rate him very highly. Not getting promoted may mean he wants out.

Jarod (Bowen) will probably end up at Everton who have been monitoring him for a long time. 

I live in Portsmouth. Matt Clarke is their standout player at the back. Pompey were good defensively last year. Going forwards is where they came unstuck. He would be a good signing.

Plus he's 22 with only 1 year left on his contract. 

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 2

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

I live in Portsmouth. Matt Clarke is their standout player at the back. Pompey were good defensively last year. Going forwards is where they came unstuck. He would be a good signing.

Plus he's 22 with only 1 year left on his contract. 

Definitely the type we should be going for. Young and coming towards the end of his contract. They would want a fee for him but it should be within budget and wages shouldn’t really be a problem. Only worry is that his performances will have attracted interest from others so not sure if we would get him or not.