BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Regarding the merits, or not, of the Scottish leagues I admit that the once strong flow of talent moving to English clubs has long gone. Having said that, there is still the odd player who must be hiding somewhere in those leagues. 

In tonight’s Champions League final is one such player namely Andy Robertson. Rejected by Celtic as a 15 year old, went to play for Queens Park as an amateur before being transferred to Dundee Utd. where he was spotted by ex dingle Stan Ternent who was scouting for Hull City at the time and came south to easily make his mark. It shows that there can be players waiting to be discovered, it’s a case of having the scouting network to find them. Do we have such a network?

15 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

The Scottish league is about average for a country of 5.5m people. The difference is we use to produce quality Football people, Dalglish/Souness and the sort. That has fallen by the wayside and the fault lies with the SFA, Rangers and Celtic. Actually think the SPL is getting better very slowly. Clarke coming in as National Manager is huge.

John McGinn was the best player in the Championship for me last year, partial to all action Centre Midfielder, and he was plucked from Hibs last year so there are good players in Scotland. 

Aye of course, no offence meant to Scotland by the league being poor relative to English football. You have about 10 percent of the population of England so it's not remotely surprising. In theory you'd probably expect it to be a bit worse than it is, by that figure.

Scotland used to have a decent national team too. I'm sure it will happen again some day.

10 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Just reading the LET article on Rodwell, and the Waggott's tone suggests that Rodwell hasn't been guaranteed first-team football, so I suspect he's looking elsewhere (Torino and Sassuolo in Italy have been mentioned) to mull over his options.

He is clearly a bit of quality, but not as a defender - that's on Mowbray, and perhaps Rodwell wants to be playing in midfield. He's good backup for what Mowbray wants, but I can't see Rodwell wanting a similar bit-part role next season, as I'm pretty sure it would be for him here.

If we have a midfield next season that can justifiably make Rodwell back up then we will be doing very well.

17 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Just reading the LET article on Rodwell, and the Waggott's tone suggests that Rodwell hasn't been guaranteed first-team football, so I suspect he's looking elsewhere (Torino and Sassuolo in Italy have been mentioned) to mull over his options.

He is clearly a bit of quality, but not as a defender - that's on Mowbray, and perhaps Rodwell wants to be playing in midfield. He's good backup for what Mowbray wants, but I can't see Rodwell wanting a similar bit-part role next season, as I'm pretty sure it would be for him here.

It's been made very clear that Rodwell wants to play centre half not midfield. Unless he's changed his mind.

Waggott's words also seemed to imply to me that we were about to offer him better terms. If so, I don't understand why. His decision will be based on where he will play as much as he needs to, I suspect, much more than the money aspect. He hasn't convinced me enough yet to just throw more cash at him in either case, but if he's going to pick based on career path, we risk giving him more cash for no reason. If I'm right.

21 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

I agree. How many teams will be forced to sell? Swansea need 30 million, Leeds look like selling without an injection of capital given eleven sports owner Radrazzani who owns Leeds is actively touting them and lost tv rights.

middlesborough are offloading to comply with ffp, Steve Gibson has launched legal action against Derby for selling there ground which is delaying Wednesday and their Thai owner doing the same depending on this outcome. West Brom need to offload and lost Gayle 25 goals. 

Huddersfield won’t spend under a new local owner and bound to lose Lossl and the big German their crux of defence. Hull are selling any asset going usually so I’d be surprised to see Bowen there in September especially as he’s a HG player for any Prem side (Burnley).  Another 25 goals.

Birmingham will be watched on any spending and have to pay a fine which is included in ffp calculations, Forest have to sell before buying and I’m sur ethere 5milluon court case against Fawaz over the sale agreement and purchased debt must be in ffp calculations too.

Other than Fulham and Stoke maybe Bristol City who I think will go for it I don’t fear anyone next year. Us and Cardiff playoffs as a minimum, Tans held off converting the rest of debt to equity I think he will take this years profit and a meaty parachute and sell the club if they make a decent start minimising his loses much what I think venkys wish to replicate. 

Looking at our lot and the under 30 comment I can see a young marque signing again. Think it’s under 23s from academy whose wages are exempt from ffp. Though it might change dependant on appearances. We’ve a conveyor of talent to bolster us mid season with Magloire and Butterworth. That said our losses of 17million factor in we lost around 5 of revenue was about 12 in reality less any exemptions under ffp and are probably under SCmP which had its own graces. The way we operate now losing circa 12 a year is borderline On ffp but at moment it seems like Cheston and KPMG have found a way to work it without damaging us every year and quietly running us pretty well in that respect. 

Expecting personally two Europeans a striker and defender, a marque English player who won’t command wages. Almost thought we’d hit the nail twice when I saw Matt Clarke from Pompey linked.

Great post.

Can understand the stance on Rodwell IF they haven't offered him more money as it would be better put elsewhere imo but if it's a modest offer he'd be handy to stay around that's the type of quality 'squaddie' you want as long as it doesn't cost much.

Cab understand him as well seeing what offers are out there why not be a mercenary and go and experience other leagues and types of football if you can't be a Prem or Champ regular but there is interest elsewhere.

All I would say is the club should put a time limit on him as it's about what Blackburn Rovers want to do and the team not individual players, a little to much of that with Mowbray if i'm honest.  No point leaving it till last min waiting for him to decide then ending up short or just signing a body for the sake of it.  He was handy at times but missing badly at others, very much an on top player.  The biggest focus for me should be on the ones who were floundering the most in that bad bad run as either side most were ok and if not others carried them but when some key players were off the boil nobody really stepped up and that's what you need.

He was a flounderer then.

• Like 2

Not sure I’ve seen him suggested on here... but if we’re after saving a few quid, Ritchie de Laet released from Villa. Good competition for Nyambe in my opinion and absolutely rapid. 

Obviously don’t want us to deal only in freebie’s but I think he would be a decent signing. 

Can somebody please print out a list of our results between february and April and staple them to Mowbray's forehead as he considers wasting the summer and waiting for last minute deals? It's fine if he can't pull off supposed miracles in the transfer market, but then resign and go and let's find someone who can. It's 1st of June and I'm already getting sick of this.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Not sure I’ve seen him suggested on here... but if we’re after saving a few quid, Ritchie de Laet released from Villa. Good competition for Nyambe in my opinion and absolutely rapid. 

Obviously don’t want us to deal only in freebie’s but I think he would be a decent signing. 

I've heard worse suggestions. He was on loan in Australia last season and scored a few goals. Apparently he played a few games on the wing and up front. Very strange. 

On 27/05/2019 at 09:07, philipl said:

Yes the frightening thing- the status quo without transfer "investment" lands us in FFP bother.

This is why Waggott is so focused on gate and commercial income.

In football terms, these are small numbers.

Absolutely- we simply have to get more fans through the gates on match days. But not simply giving tickets away, hopefully sales are good so far as the prices are fair. Generally the club looks to be on the up, sponsorship looks to have increased, squad value is on the increase and wage to turnover is down - I think the tipping point seems to be transfer fees, last year are net spend was greater than a lot of clubs even those with parachute money; every other teams seem to be selling players for 10m + Bristol city seem to have a conveyer belt.

• Like 1

As long as we are an also ran in the second division - which we largely have been since 2012, crowds will not substantially rise.

I wish they would, but I doubt we’ll sell more than our standard 10,000 STs - now start showing some intent in the transfer market and that may change, ‘the club is looking more stable’, ain’t going to bring in the numbers, as reassuring as that may be the likes of us on here.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Great shout. Believe he can play all across the back four too? Could be a very shrewd signing.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

As long as we are an also ran in the second division - which we largely have been since 2012, crowds will not substantially rise.

I wish they would, but I doubt we’ll sell more than our standard 10,000 STs - now start showing some intent in the transfer market and that may change, ‘the club is looking more stable’, ain’t going to bring in the numbers, as reassuring as that may be the likes of us on here.

Go back to 80s, we would average around 8000 and if we were top at christmas then crowds would rise. If not crowds would stay constant or even drop off. Transfers may impact for a game or two but if we ain't winning that wont last

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Go back to 80s, we would average around 8000 and if we were top at christmas then crowds would rise. If not crowds would stay constant or even drop off. Transfers may impact for a game or two but if we ain't winning that wont last

That and having attractive football to watch. How many first half goals did we score at home last season ?

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I’m on about summer season ticket sales, they can receive a boost by some attractive close season signings.

You are correct that when the season is actually underway, it is success on the pitch that boosts crowds.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That and having attractive football to watch. How many first half goals did we score at home last season ?

Personally agree but many I know will only go to see winning football. Glory hunters. Wish they stay away but know for the good of the club they are needed

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I’m on about summer season ticket sales, they can receive a boost by some attractive close season signings.

You are correct that when the season is actually underway, it is success on the pitch that boosts crowds.

Who are we going to sign which will bring glory hunters back? When we signed Archibald it added a few but it was only when we were on the run did crowds built.

To get bums on seats we would need big names who non-committed supporters have heard off and there is no way that is going to happen

• Like 1

Waverers might be persuaded by a couple of heard of signings. Don't have to be mega but people who can do a bit more than just do a job. Think most people, even those who definitely intend to get a ST are holding onto cash for the moment to see how the fixtures are, how many games they'll miss, who we look like bringing in and any number of other factors like who of the people they go with still wants to go. 

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Exactly the point I was making, Waggott is in cloud cuckoo land if he expects crowds to increase when we plod along in the mid table of the second division.

I don't think he does that's why he's trying to maximise from the hardcore and putting his shirt on big away followings. 

Telling his manager to cut the deadwood off the payroll and not just add squaddies to it so they can put the money towards the wages of a couple of imaginative signings, however they are delivered, could be the difference between raising the averages a couple of thousand or seeing it drop back further.

There's no quick fix in Blackburn unless you show serious ambition.

Edited by tomphil

45 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Exactly the point I was making, Waggott is in cloud cuckoo land if he expects crowds to increase when we plod along in the mid table of the second division.

Couldn't agree more re: Steve Waggott. Seems to have nice intentions but he clearly overestimates when it comes to projections for the future.