Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Boro fans said he played well last season, but our fans ignore that. Now imagine the Boro fans said he played badly, it would be quoted ad nauseum. 

At the end of the day, if he is good enough to start, so be it, but even if he isn't he brings great experience and can only be a good role model for the young wingers currently here. He's a big upgrade on Conway and I like Conway. He's also an upgrade on Murphy and Whittingham. 

 

Let’s be fair now, I’ll bet most people have no idea what Boro fans thought of him last season. Though granted, it wouldn’t be too difficult to find out.

Can’t say I know any of their fans to ask, I’ve not bothered looking on any of their forums yet and I don’t have  Twitter account.

People rightly have concerns as we have been burned by older players in the past. 

Edited by K-Hod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

Let’s be fair now, I’ll bet most people have no idea what Boro fans thought of him last season. Though granted, it wouldn’t be too difficult to find out.

People rightly have concerns as we have been burned by older players in the past. Not sure what the issue is tbh.

No, but @philipl seems to have provided a bit of research for the rest of us lazy bones!

Downing is going to be 35 at the start of this coming season, but I suspect he'd play a bigger and better role than Conway did for us last season. He played 40 games last season for a club who were much closer to the play-offs than we were. Even if he doesn't hit 40 games, I think it's time that we added some quality into the team, rather than just young and hungry hard workers. I think the balance could be good. I hope we sign him.

There is a long way to in this window, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TM wants some more technically gifted players and more experienced pros to complement the youngsters, so I imagine that's the reason he's keen on Downing. Would he be someone that would start week in, week out? No. Could he be someone that we could bring on as a sub and produce a little bit of quality to open teams up? Quite possibly. 

If he's our main summer signing then it would be disappointing. If, however, he's brought in to strengthen the squad then he's a decent addition (if he signs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also reckon John Obi Mikel would be a top free agent signing to play as our defensive midfielder. I reckon that'd be a start in helping out our defensive problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Boro fans said he played well last season, but our fans ignore that. Now imagine the Boro fans said he played badly, it would be quoted ad nauseum. 

At the end of the day, if he is good enough to start, so be it, but even if he isn't he brings great experience and can only be a good role model for the young wingers currently here. He's a big upgrade on Conway and I like Conway. He's also an upgrade on Murphy and Whittingham. 

 

Young wingers currently here ?

Trouble is with these types of older signings it doesn't really matter what they did the season before because they can suddenly 'go' overnight. New club, new manager, area, training, way of doing things can either prove a shot in the arm or the straw that breaks the old back (legs) we've seen it countless times.

It's a shoe in signing as far as I reckon unless some other club offers him silly wages and it's a typical Mowbray type signing and as we've seen heart rules head for Tony too often that's what worries me.

A cheap short term signing on Conways wages it's a no brainer but anything else i'd leave well alone this has white elephant written all over it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downing is getting on a bit for me and I'd rather focus our meagre wages on players who we can flog in the future. 

Mowbray needs to sort out the defence for me we need CB's that know the role. I think lenihan and raya would both benefit from having an accomplished man alongside them. 

I'd be selling Dack if someone is really willing to stump up 15m and spending it on a new spine, minus attack. A CB and a CM of quality would be good. 

We need to play Brereton more in his role CF, he's not the same as DG, but we spent 7m on him so need to get the best out of him. A few more ball players and less emphasis on lumping forward and he'll do alright. 

Get in some defensive players who can win the ball back and retain possession and then a midfielder who can find space for them to pass too, and we could actually start playing a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Downing interest might be a smoke-screen for lack of progress with other targets, but I see it as an upgrade on Conway for very similar wages. Not a signing I expected or hoped for, but he's definitely an upgrade in terms of class, technical ability and flexibility on positions.

Removing experience from a dressing room is risky business, especially as Conway seemed to be Mowbray's dressing room lieutenant (often acknowledged by Mowbray). Downing fits the bill perfectly for that role - from LT:

Quote

Downing would bring a wealth of experience to the Rovers squad, something Mowbray is keen to add, with 400 appearances for Middlesbrough, as well as 35 England caps and spells with Aston Villa and Liverpool.

I'm not going to argue with Mowbray's logic here. It would be a positive first signing for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wanderingrover said:

The Downing interest might be a smoke-screen for lack of progress with other targets, but I see it as an upgrade on Conway for very similar wages. Not a signing I expected or hoped for, but he's definitely an upgrade in terms of class, technical ability and flexibility on positions.

Removing experience from a dressing room is risky business, especially as Conway seemed to be Mowbray's dressing room lieutenant (often acknowledged by Mowbray). Downing fits the bill perfectly for that role - from LT:

I'm not going to argue with Mowbray's logic here. It would be a positive first signing for me. 

I have come around to a similar point of view.

Not playing related but I liked the way he reported concerns about his previous Agent to the Police back in 2008, showed character and bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be content with Downing being signed to play a central role as we could do with a bit more quality on the ball in there but it would concern me if he was being signed as a winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, darrenrover said:

Has Downing played centre half previously?

Don't know but he has played full-back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I would be content with Downing being signed to play a central role as we could do with a bit more quality on the ball in there but it would concern me if he was being signed as a winger.

Let's hope it turns out better than Whittingham in that case.

There are a few interesting players without contract at the moment. I saw for example that Yoann Gourcuff has no club. He was thought to be a world-class player back in the days. Not that he would ever come here even today... Just a bit interesting what happens to some players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue for me is not Downing as such. I have no doubt that he would be a better option than Conway for the role Conway was performing.

It's just that replacing Conway like for like was well down my priority list. I'm not even sure if he needs replacing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Boro fans said he played well last season, but our fans ignore that. Now imagine the Boro fans said he played badly, it would be quoted ad nauseum. 

At the end of the day, if he is good enough to start, so be it, but even if he isn't he brings great experience and can only be a good role model for the young wingers currently here. He's a big upgrade on Conway and I like Conway. He's also an upgrade on Murphy and Whittingham. 

 

Cardiff fans liked Whittingham and wanted him to stay. Look how that ended. What I want from our signings this time is some leaders. The sort of players who grab the ball out of the back of the net when we've just conceded a bad goal and rally the troops. We've already got enough players who just stare at the ground and pretend nothing has happened.  Downing doesn't strike me as being a leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Don't know but he has played full-back

 

I think Tony likes 352 if he had the right players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downing, no thanks. And that’s from somebody who has rated him throughout his career, I just think his position at 35 is a no no. Don’t think he would ever be welcomed as a starter due to his age, Christ we wrote Conway, Graham, mulgrew off due to age and they are all younger than him. Much rather his wages got used on younger and hungrier players. Downing at 32 would be a great signing, at 35 we would be rightly laughed at and beaten by a stick by other fans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Downing, no thanks. And that’s from somebody who has rated him throughout his career, I just think his position at 35 is a no no. Don’t think he would ever be welcomed as a starter due to his age, Christ we wrote Conway, Graham, mulgrew off due to age and they are all younger than him. Much rather his wages got used on younger and hungrier players. Downing at 32 would be a great signing, at 35 we would be rightly laughed at and beaten by a stick by other fans 

Unless he turned out to be a success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, quite a few overreacting as per. Downing hasn’t signed anything yet. Moreover, surely any signings have to be looked at in full context. Any signing can look good or bad as a one off. 

Downing doesn’t particularly inspire me either. Let’s see how it plays out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Yup, quite a few overreacting as per. Downing hasn’t signed anything yet. Moreover, surely any signings have to be looked at in full context. Any signing can look good or bad as a one off. 

Downing doesn’t particularly inspire me either. Let’s see how it plays out.

When you say overreacting it looks like you mean there are more posts from naysayers than delighted fans. That’s not an overreaction it’s a number of reactions.

You then go on to say that he doesn’t inspire you!

Although he isn’t what I would call a priority can see the merits in such a signing. He is a player that Mowbray will know (trust/loyalty factor), he has bags of experience and should be a good influence in the dressing room and he is/was a quality footballer. In the mid-to-late 80s we had many an aged former pro come here: Ossy Ardilles, Kevin Moran, Frank Stapleton, Steve Archibald, etc.

The problem we have is that in recent times, Murphy (spit), Etuhu, Whittingham, Greer, Wes Brown - have all been dismal failures.

Edited by Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's an Argentinian world Cup winner on his way I will be delighted. 

We can't exactly have millions and millions to spend, so I'd rather we focused on the areas that matter. 

He could be worth it, but he was on 40 odd at boro, so would he drop to 10 or so? I am not sure. 

TM has done well, but his transfers seem a bit scattergun and our defence is our weaklink. Get that sorted and then sign a downing, if funds allow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr X said:

If there's an Argentinian world Cup winner on his way I will be delighted. 

We can't exactly have millions and millions to spend, so I'd rather we focused on the areas that matter. 

He could be worth it, but he was on 40 odd at boro, so would he drop to 10 or so? I am not sure. 

Ouch...and I wouldn't really want to pay him 10 or so tbh. I don't believe I want us to pay him any amount he would actually come for, although I do think he'd be an upgrade on Conway. Rather get someone younger. I feel like the wing is probably the absolute most vulnerable position to becoming not good enough overnight when your legs go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bluebruce said:

Ouch...and I wouldn't really want to pay him 10 or so tbh. I don't believe I want us to pay him any amount he would actually come for, although I do think he'd be an upgrade on Conway. Rather get someone younger. I feel like the wing is probably the absolute most vulnerable position to becoming not good enough overnight when your legs go.

I agree he is a better player than Conway, but we have plenty of wide players and Chapman for me replaces him. 

He could be good in the middle, but it is also a position that requires legs. Up down all game? Can he do it? 

If we need a been there and done that type, let's get it in a role that doesn't always need legs. That way he might last longer than a season and also lessens the concern in regards fitness. 

Chuck the 10k a week on the CBs wages and get us a real beast. A dream would be Cahill, he's a great bloke and quality. Derby are keen so who knows, but won't be cheap. Ashley Williams? Is he out of contract? Jagielka? 

I would like to see us sign one and play a back three as below:

Newbie Lenihan

       Mulgrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.