BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have 1 player considering an offer. 1. Not a couple. 

We are the same as many, many other clubs in that regards. At last count 4 Championship clubs had made signings. 

I'm not argumentative, I just point out silliness. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get to all of it :) 

You're too busy knee jerking to every post only you and possibly one or two others decide is negative yet not long ago you were measuring your own length of rope out.

Is this a revert to type after we thought you'd become one of us.. ?  ?

There's not much likely to happen on the transfer front for the next week or so as Mogga's on his jollies.

It's absolutely imperative for me that whatever transfer funds we have, the majority are used in defence. It's the oldest adage in football, build from the back. We need 2 solid centre halves and a left back: a young 'un who can improve and one with experience and leadership qualities. Forget midfield, we've an abundance.

If we're going to play football on the deck going forward and not lump it forward to Danny Graham or an equivalent, we could do worse than get Rhodes on loan up top to finish off our sweeping moves!

• Like 3

Just now, tomphil said:

You're too busy knee jerking to every post only you and possibly one or two others decide is negative yet not long ago you were measuring your own length of rope out.

Is this a revert to type after we thought you'd become one of us.. ?  ?

I'm not knee jerking to anything to be honest. I am actually thinking of taking a break. At this time of year , when nothing is happening for most clubs and all you have is rumours and gossip, the football threads on here fill up with repetitive untruths and negativity. I'm not judging, people are free to say what they like. As I said, I think I will just take a break and only come on here when we sign players. 

I probably just fitted in better during our horrific run, because we were all on the same page then and there wasn't much that could be said other than outrage. 

I am one of ye regardless, whether ye like it or not  ? 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm not knee jerking to anything to be honest. I am actually thinking of taking a break. At this time of year , when nothing is happening for most clubs and all you have is rumours and gossip, the football threads on here fill up with repetitive untruths and negativity. I'm not judging, people are free to say what they like. As I said, I think I will just take a break and only come on here when we sign players. 

I probably just fitted in better during our horrific run, because we were all on the same page then and there wasn't much that could be said other than outrage. 

I am one of ye regardless, whether ye like it or not  ? 

I get what you're saying and I think we'll be looking at the freebie and loan market so there'll be nothing moving on that till the end of June, a long month awaits...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Why are you so argumentative?

I'd agree that we only have a couple of players considering offers but we evidently don't have much urgency as a consequence of bugger all having happened and because of our budget and only 2,500 season tickets being sold, don't have much wiggle room financially either.

Season tickets sold thus far probably cover Ben Gladwin's wage for the year, enough said..

And we won't sell many more until we see some signings materialising.

• Like 1

To be fair the season ticket number at this stage means nothing unless it is significantly down on what is normally is a month before the seat deadline.

Really reaching to connect it to no signings at the start of June.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To be fair the season ticket number at this stage means nothing unless it is significantly down on what is normally is a month before the seat deadline.

If it was my business, I'd be worried and asking the question 'what could be done to convince those considering picking their games as opposed to buying a season ticket'.

Look at the BRFCS poll.....

Seen that Mo Diame has been released by Newcastle, would love to see him here, the kind of player we’ve lacked for years. Proper box to box Cm. On a free would be a good signing. Imagine he’ll have more attractive offers tho.

The brfcs poll means nowt, not representative in any way to the wider fanbase.

If we usually sell 4,000 a month into sales then yes, big trouble, but we could’ve sold 1,500 by this stage normally. Without a like for like you can’t read into it either way. But there is even less incentive to buy early this season as they’ve got rid of the early bird and subsequent price rise in July.

Doesnt change my view that the club is always too late getting them on sale and doesn’t do enough to market them, by the way.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Definitely reaching. The figure is purely because there's no incentive to buy early. I'll be getting mine, but I've no reason to yet, there's no price hike or 'early bird' deal this year.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Those 5 - 6 players, did they get contract extensions and improvements early last Season and now we expect them to just walk away?

Football doesn't usually work like that.

Some of them will have done and the merits of that have been debated before. You can't expect anyone to walk away from a contract and I'm not saying that. What I was discussing with Tomphil is Mowbray's apparent lack of ruthlessness when it comes to our potentially game time limited players. He's said himself that he'd rather leave a player to decide whether they stay or go, insinuating that he's not actively looking to sell said players.

You might not be able to sell everyone you don't want in the squad, but you can't argue that his approach is the best way to improve the squad.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We don't have 5-6 players mulling over contract offers. 

Every club has squad players. You have no idea that we lack either urgency or wiggle room. 

I didn't say we did to be fair. It was a comment about players - most of which are indeed in contract - who will likely have been told they will have smaller parts to play next season. Albeit framed in a conversation about Rodwell and whether or not he is likely to stay. Sorry for the confusion.

Fair enough, the last line is a punt in the dark. However I don't think it's too far a reach surmising that if we operate a soft stance on potentially unwanted contracted players - as Mowbray has evidenced via numerous interviews - then you aren't going to have the same urgency and potential wriggle room (i.e. freed up wages, on top of any agreed transfer/wage budget) to sign up new players, if you already have players contracted in that position.

2 hours ago, john.leigh said:

But what if their basic wage is relatively low, with top ups based on games played? 

As we don’t know details of how players wages are packaged/ incentivised it’s futile to speculate. Good fun, but futile.

But what if it isn't?

You've essentially just summarised the limitations of a football messageboard there. Assuming the vast majority of us aren't ITK, isn't it all just speculation and opinions. They serve no purpose other than to entertain us, as they more than likely won't ever influence those in charge. We're all presumably here because we enjoy talking rubbish about the team we love, albeit some more coherently than others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. E said:

Would it be absurd to ask about Sturridge? I mean his last outing was at West Brom where he failed miserably, he can't have his sights set too high...plus here he would be a guaranteed starter every game. This is if he wants to play football. If he is happy warming the bench with much higher wager at another club for the rest of his career...that would be unfortunate.

5 years ago, sturridge was a world class footballer. Outstanding talent but he's gone the way of many talented english strikers, collymore, jansen, etc who took the foot of the pedal. Such a waste. Why did he join west brom when inter wanted him?

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

5 years ago, sturridge was a world class footballer. Outstanding talent but he's gone the way of many talented english strikers, collymore, jansen, etc who took the foot of the pedal. Such a waste. Why did he join west brom when inter wanted him?

Matt Jansen I assume? Bit harsh! Don't think the lad took his foot off the pedal...in fact you could argue the opposite was the problem. He was never the same after that and I don't think it was anything to do with desire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I would argue that with no early bird and on the back of some pretty insipid home performances last season, many will want to see the signings Mowbray insisted were coming -before committing.  

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Matt Jansen I assume? Bit harsh! Don't think the lad took his foot off the pedal...in fact you could argue the opposite was the problem. He was never the same after that and I don't think it was anything to do with desire.

Jansen clearly suffered brain damage in his moped accident in Rome which effectively finished his career.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Jansen? That comment is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

This comment really annoyed me

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

We have exactly a couple of players considering an offer. Rodwell and Gladwin.

Gladwin has surely signed his. I imagine he signed it the minute it was offered. He wouldn't have any better alternatives. Probably on very little. Relatively of course. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would ye take 1-1.5 million for Bennett? He put a picture on instagram with his agent. I wonder would his agent run stuff by him about clubs being interested. 

I like Benno (more to do with attitude and work rate than ability) but if we could get £1.5m for him, I'd probably take it. 

(Providing the funds are made available)

• Like 2