BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

If Raya costs any more goals through his own cock ups this season he should be benched and stay there let the other lad se the season out see if he's worth keeping.

There's been too many this season despite him being young and learning on the job or whatever. The basics are the basics and he should be grasping them by now and if they don't sign another good keeper for the squad in summer they should upgrade the keeper coach.

Time for grabbing the bull by the balls enough of the nicey nicey old pals stuff if we want to get anywhere.

Whilst he recognises the type of centre back we need I'm slightly concerned about comments along the lines of 'when I say strengthen I mean add competition'.

For me at least one of the centre backs needs to be our 'biggest' signing this summer. The type that should be able to come through the door with his name nailed down in the first 11 on day 1.

It would be such a let down, but so predictable to see this seasons centre backs starting on day 1 next season with a couple of new centre backs sitting on their bench 'waiting their turn'.

I might be misinterpreting him, possibly a little harsh, but comments like that along with our recent track record of signings leaves me wary. 

• Like 5

Just now, Don Said said:

It would be such a let down, but so predictable to see this seasons centre backs starting on day 1 next season with a couple of new centre backs sitting on their bench 'waiting their turn'.

I'm not even worrying about that scenario because I know it will happen.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Shame he didn't realise this in January, when we were doing well and let loads of defenders out on loan and didn't even consider that our centre backs with chequered injury histories might get injured again....

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Whilst he recognises the type of centre back we need I'm slightly concerned about comments along the lines of 'when I say strengthen I mean add competition'.

For me at least one of the centre backs needs to be our 'biggest' signing this summer. The type that should be able to come through the door with his name nailed down in the first 11 on day 1.

I might be misinterpreting him, possibly a little harsh, but comments like that along with our recent track record of signings leaves me wary. 

Surely no one should be 100% certain of their place? Surely we everyone need to prove they are good enough for their place in the team

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Surely no one should be 100% certain of their place? Surely we everyone need to prove they are good enough for their place in the team

That's a given. Yes everybody needs to work hard and perform, but a starter in all reality.

Different scenarios but think of Rovers signing Bellamy, Santa Cruz etc. They were signed to start, to be main men in the spine of the team, not 'to add competition'.

1 hour ago, Don Said said:

In other words he's looking for some more bench warmers at best because he hasn't got the bottle to replace senior players he need replacing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Said said:

Me to. We don't need competition for places. That's the last thing we need as that infers the 11 is good enough and the youth isn't ready to step up. We need first name on the sheet signings. Like I said earlier I can only hope he is saying that to keep the current lot motivated until the end of the season before he makes changes but as we all know it's the hope that kills you

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

In other words he's looking for some more bench warmers at best because he hasn't got the bottle to replace senior players he need replacing. 

Paul Downing was brought in as competition and only got a game through injuries. We should continuously be looking to bring better players in otherwise, as we are seeing, we will regress.

Once again Mowbray muddies the water with an interview which leaves me perplexed.

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Paul Downing was brought in as competition and only got a game through injuries. We should continuously be looking to bring better players in otherwise, as we are seeing, we will regress.

Once again Mowbray muddies the water with an interview which leaves me perplexed.

Exactly, he keeps muddying the waters on this. Interviews range from saying he is just looking for 'competition' or 'depth' to saying he wants to sign players for the first XI. Separate quotes from just today's LT about signings, in two articles (the first two are explicitly about the defence):

"It’s an area of the pitch that we have to strengthen. When I say strengthen I mean add competition."

"I talk about the depth."

"We need to get to the summer and get the recruitment right, finding players who will make the first XI better week in, week out.”

The last one is encouraging, the first two are worrying as all hell.

Edited by bluebruce

7 hours ago, Don Said said:

That's a given. Yes everybody needs to work hard and perform, but a starter in all reality.

Different scenarios but think of Rovers signing Bellamy, Santa Cruz etc. They were signed to start, to be main men in the spine of the team, not 'to add competition'.

Eactly.  He should be buying  4 players to become the spine of the team immediately.  Keeper, CB, cm, cf.   They should all be good enough to command a place.  We can slot in the rest  of our midfielders (sorry -squad)  around that.  Definitely not the other way round.  Only Graham, Dack  and possibly Nyambe and Lennihan have shown enough to be first choice.

We don't need to add "depth" or "competition", the word is QUALITY which is severely below what is required in this league.

That is going to take signing 4/5 players to go straight into the team, not sit on the sidelines untrusted to play Tony's way.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, 47er said:

Better late than never I suppose.

But, should we really be fishing around league one.  We need a CH ready from day one who will come in and crack some heads.  Add competition?  WTF is that.

3 hours ago, USABlue said:

But, should we really be fishing around league one.  We need a CH ready from day one who will come in and crack some heads.  Add competition?  WTF is that.

It says League one and Europe. I expect one from each. I hope 5 signings in defensive areas. A new keeper, 1 new right back, 2 centre back and 1 left back. 

Heneghan was excellent last week at Bradford for Blackpool. Bauer had good reviews. So I expect 1 signing to either of these

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It says League one and Europe. I expect one from each. I hope 5 signings in defensive areas. A new keeper, 1 new right back, 2 centre back and 1 left back. 

Heneghan was excellent last week at Bradford for Blackpool. Bauer had good reviews. So I expect 1 signing to either of these

Bloody hell, that's a whole new defence. How likely is that to happen ? It doesn't say much about our recent recruitment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bloody hell, that's a whole new defence. How likely is that to happen ? It doesn't say much about our recent recruitment.

Thats would give us 2 right backs, 4 centre backs and 2 left backs all challenging for a spot in the defence

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats would give us 2 right backs, 4 centre backs and 2 left backs all challenging for a spot in the defence

So you don't want to sign Rodwell?

Just curious, I'm a bit on the fence but probably wouldn't either. In which case I do want to see us get two good CHs.

How does Bell, Williams plus one new left back mean 2 left backs though? (Not accounting for jokes about how one or both of them don't really count).

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

So you don't want to sign Rodwell?

Just curious, I'm a bit on the fence but probably wouldn't either. In which case I do want to see us get two good CHs.

How does Bell, Williams plus one new left back mean 2 left backs though? (Not accounting for jokes about how one or both of them don't really count).

Chaddy wanted Rodwell signing on a long contract a month or two back so he must be staying.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Presuming this is true as he doesn't have a profile on the official website (and I assume used to, especially as there are two goalies in the academy team photo but only one goalie profile).

350k seems very reasonable indeed for a 17 yr old goalie nowhere near the first team, with the likes of Fisher already well rated. We only got something like that for O'Connell when he was on the fringes. Hopefully this doesn't backfire so spectacularly.

I expect there's a sell-on fee to minimise that danger. Our academy costs what, 3 or 4 million a year to run? Last big sale of a player we developed from it was Hanley, so it's good to see us getting a bit of return from it. That's paid for Rothwell essentially.