BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Presuming this is true as he doesn't have a profile on the official website (and I assume used to, especially as there are two goalies in the academy team photo but only one goalie profile).

Looks like it as been removed , here what a google search brings up as a preview of the page (below) , link goes to a 404 error.

Story is also on the Liverpool Echo website but wont link to it as its a pop up ad fest of a site, but seems he has been signed as cover for the U18's squad due to an injury to their main keeper. Was a sub for their game yesterday

Ben Winterbottom - Goalkeeper - Profiles - Blackburn Rovers

https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/academy/profiles/goalkeeper/ben-winterbottom/

Jan 15, 2018 - Preston-born, Ben has been with Rovers for a number of years and makes the step up become a first year Academy scholar. Having earned his contract through the quality that he has shown throughout his time at the club, he'll be eager to continue that improvement as he moves up to 

Edited by perthblue02

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Presuming this is true as he doesn't have a profile on the official website (and I assume used to, especially as there are two goalies in the academy team photo but only one goalie profile).

350k seems very reasonable indeed for a 17 yr old goalie nowhere near the first team, with the likes of Fisher already well rated. We only got something like that for O'Connell when he was on the fringes. Hopefully this doesn't backfire so spectacularly.

I expect there's a sell-on fee to minimise that danger. Our academy costs what, 3 or 4 million a year to run? Last big sale of a player we developed from it was Hanley, so it's good to see us getting a bit of return from it. That's paid for Rothwell essentially.

What about Mahoney ? Didn't we get paid for him ?

9 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Looks like it as been removed , here what a google search brings up as a preview of the page (below) , link goes to a 404 error.

Story is also on the Liverpool Echo website but wont link to it as its a pop up ad fest of a site, but seems he has been signed as cover for the U18's squad due to an injury to their main keeper. Was a sub for their game yesterday

It must be nice being able to spend 350k on a goalkeeper for the bench of your under-18s.

Plenty of teams in this league who would spend that, or less, on their main goalkeeper.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes, a bit, but I said big sale. Mahoney was a million including potential add ons if I remember rightly. I know it's more than this sale, I'm just saying we haven't recouped much financially from it lately so it's nice to have some of these little fees trickle through at least, especially for players way down the pecking order. (Unless he turns into a damn good player obviously!) 

Should have posted this here...

What will be most telling is not just who he brings in but who he lets go. However, we’ve just given new contracts to a number of the old guard who really needed to be upgraded on: Williams, Evans, Mulgrew, Graham (1yr ext), 

So we will likely get:

- A new second keeper to replace Leutweiler (exp 2019)

- A new back up right back (we don’t have one)

- Wharton back from loan (if we don’t there is something fishy there) or an alternative replacement for Downing

- The only glimmer of hope is that Brereton signed a new contract to 2021 with Forest six months before we bought him ? so it is possible for these deals to still allow for a sale. However, I can’t remember the last player we sold for that another club had to twist our arm for, let alone spend well over the odds.

Anyway, this graphic gives an idea of our immediate gaps and lack of long term stability - shirt number is year of contract end (white = out of contract; red = 1yr; blue = 2yr; yellow = 3yr):

1C196C15-D123-42AD-9FC1-C6484D1E0332.thumb.jpeg.38a8b61a8bc895a8f08d704f0970b68d.jpeg

I don’t expect genuine upgrades to replace first teamers.

We have a gap on the left midfield, concerns on the right hand side of defence, one keeper and two high quality players who leave a big shoes to fill: Reed and Rodwell. (In particular, the signing of Rodwell on a one year deal, with no promotion ambitions was a very strange one indeed - what did it achieve?).

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

8 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yes, it was agreed by a tribunal iirc. No idea how much.

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, a bit, but I said big sale. Mahoney was a million including potential add ons if I remember rightly. I know it's more than this sale, I'm just saying we haven't recouped much financially from it lately so it's nice to have some of these little fees trickle through at least, especially for players way down the pecking order. (Unless he turns into a damn good player obviously!) 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/may/rovers-to-receive-fee-for-mahoney/

£425k initial fee, £100k for every 10 first-team appearances up to 50 (£500k), £250k if he makes an England appearance, and 20% of any profit on future sales.

So up to about £1m if he becomes a Bournemouth regular, and a share of any future sale. Hard to really evaluate that fee right now. Seems he's been doing okay at Birmingham on loan, but he hasn't been an automatic starter there, and he didn't do much at a relegated Barnsley the year before. Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of Birmingham fans...

We also sold Callum Wright to Leicester last year. Probably best to try and tie these assets down to long-term contracts (seems we've learned our lesson there with all the recent contracts), but I suppose our hands are tied in cases like Mahoney and Wright where they're keen on a Premier League move.

(Taking a look, randomly Ben Williams, who we let go in 2017, has managed 14 appearances for Barnsley in League One this year... Good for him! Rare that a youngster who is outright released manages to recover like that!)

I was a bit surprised at the start of the year when Mowbray seemed to cast doubt on continuing with the Academy, or at least brought up the question of whether that money could be better spent. Considering academy expenditure is largely exempt from FFP, it's somewhere our owners can still throw their financial muscle behind (and a sign of their commitment). The Academy did seem to have a pretty poorly timed dip in production a few years ago, but the emergence of the likes of Travis, Nyambe, and Lenihan, plus Fisher, Magloire, Wharton, Grayson, Buckley, Platt, Butterworth, and Rankin-Costello as promising prospects now all on the fringes, probably shifts the net value of the Academy back to positive, and Mowbray appears to be recognizing that. 

Picking up PL Academy castoffs is looking like a decent strategy too, as we'll have a much clearer path to first team football than the likes of Man U, Liverpool, Man City, etc. Includes Butterworth, Rankin-Costello, and Travis, Hart may be a miss there, and Davenport is still TBD (the latter of which I think has occasionally gotten some odd stick when he's been dealing with unfortunate injuries...). Nuttall sort of counts in this category too as a Man City castoff years ago...

• Like 1

Mowbray still talking about competition for existing players... herein lies the fundamental issue.. we need players to go to the next level not to compete with existing! 

My view is.. we need..

1 x first team GK

2 x CB supported by Wharton and existing as reserves

1 x competing RB 

1 x new LB 

1 x CM 

1 x Additional winger to support Chapman and Rothwell.

1 x class Striker 

We need to move on the following: 

Lutweiller 

Rodwell / William's / Hart

Smallwood/ Gladwin/ Conway/ Bennett 

Maybe Samuel but I'm unsure there is something about him I like 

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Mowbray still talking about competition for existing players... herein lies the fundamental issue.. we need players to go to the next level not to compete with existing! 

My view is.. we need..

1 x first team GK

2 x CB supported by Wharton and existing as reserves

1 x competing RB 

1 x new LB 

1 x CM 

1 x Additional winger to support Chapman and Rothwell.

1 x class Striker 

We need to move on the following: 

Lutweiller 

Rodwell / William's / Hart

Smallwood/ Gladwin/ Conway/ Bennett 

Maybe Samuel but I'm unsure there is something about him I like 

You’ve just summed up why I think Mowbray needs to go now. It’s not him personally, it’s what he thinks is necessary for this team and how he is likely to recruit. More players to push the ones we already have rather than replace them.

Mulgrew, Bennett and Graham all need upgrading. Both full back positions need improvement. Reed and Rodwell are going and will be replaced by Travis and probably a loanee.

We just don’t have any depth.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Chasing down a 25yo with no pedigree whatsoever and has been at Motherwell for five minutes? Surely we need experience at Championship level or PL loan quality?

Mowbray ooot.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Chasing down a 25yo with no pedigree whatsoever and has been at Motherwell for five minutes? Surely we need experience at Championship level or PL loan quality?

Mowbray ooot.

Agree, I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be the signing we need. We aren't short on CMs. If we recruit there we need to get a GOOD one or it's pointless. It would just be another body in the way of the likes of Buckley.

Course, the article could be cobblers.

A 25 year old Spanish kid* playing in Scotland, who happens to be a CM, our new European scouting system bearing early fruit,  I hope it's at least edible and tasty and doesn't leave a nasty aftertaste.

Actually as he's quite tall he could double as Keeper back up. 

I hope the article is fake news or it just confirms we buy in car boot sales. 

* That's what the newspaper article says! 

7 hours ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray ooot.

Seen him a few times when he played in the A league, was probably one of the better players in the Wellington Phoenix side although quite young at the time , certainly didn't seem a  attacking threat but a steady defensive type midfielder who likes to  get stuck in and  to pass the ball about.

Would class A league as mid to lower championship / top of league 1 standard overall so read into that what you will.

An upgrade on Smallwood ? Possibly if he still the same player he was at WP

Edited by perthblue02

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Seen him a few times when he played in the A league, was probably one of the better players in the Wellington Phoenix side although quite young at the time , certainly didn't seem a  attacking threat but a steady defensive type midfielder who likes to  get stuck in and  to pass the ball about.

Would class A league as mid to lower championship / top of league 1 standard overall so read into that what you will.

Is this really the kind of player Mowbray needs to make to win the fans over (and maybe a few football matches)? I think not. It would be another big gamble.

Just now, Stuart said:

Is this really the kind of player Mowbray needs to make to win the fans over (and maybe a few football matches)? I think not. It would be another big gamble.

Think as part of a bigger re-build he could do a job (not seen him play since he left the A league though), but he apparently only signed a 1 year deal a Motherwell, and there are three clubs linked to him in the article, sounds to me like his agent  putting his availability out there or pushing for a new or improved contract. 

Edited by perthblue02

7 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

At least Mowbray has expanded his scouting network to Scotland. I hear we are looking at a centre half from Rhyl and a keeper from Wrexham ?.

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Probably already been posted but Nicko is reporting that TM wants five new players in the summer. He’s saying we want a GK, RB, CH, CM, and striker. 

He probably won't pick any of them anyway and still play the old guard.....