BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

59 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I found that an odd comment as it was Mowbray who was happy to spend the wages on someone not expected to actually play much but is 'nice' and was his fly on the wall in the dressing room. Tony would be suited to running a Rest Home.

And he will also be using some of his salary budget on Gladwin who isn't expected back until the end of the year at the earliest. Add convalescent home to the rest home.

Madness in my view.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17703350.could-rovers-match-ben-brereton-fee-this-summer/

Better late than never. A year after the event Mowbray tells his current story on the Brereton signing. I can't take much more hogwash.

There it is from the horses mouth my suspicions confirmed that it was a panic move late on as money was on the table and Mowbray felt compelled to spend it through fear it wouldn't materialise down the line. 

The big question for me is whether that cash was there all summer and we failed to invest it until the 11th hour due to pursuing unrealistic targets for weeks and weeks or it wasn't and someone at Venky Hq suddenly decided to throw a lump sum into the mix to sign a 'star' player hence the last minute nature of it and throwing it all into one player rather than spreading it around the team.

Incomprehensible that Mowbray would opt to spend such an amount on a 19 year old project whilst doing next to nothing with the defence and midfield and ending up with no fit centre halves in January.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There it is from the horses mouth my suspicions confirmed that it was a panic move late on as money was on the table and Mowbray felt compelled to spend it through fear it wouldn't materialise down the line. 

The big question for me is whether that cash was there all summer and we failed to invest it until the 11th hour due to pursuing unrealistic targets for weeks and weeks or it wasn't and someone at Venky Hq suddenly decided to throw a lump sum into the mix to sign a 'star' player hence the last minute nature of it and throwing it all into one player rather than spreading it around the team.

Incomprehensible that Mowbray would opt to spend such an amount on a 19 year old project whilst doing next to nothing with the defence and midfield and ending up with no fit centre halves in January.

Reading what Mowbray says it is clear that money was available all summer, not spent on Fees as we could not meet wage demands and then spunked on one player rather than maybe lose it. When that player fails to make the grade from the start he becomes one for the future. Hell, I could feck up like that!

I wonder who tipped Mowbray off on Brereton as he would not have been researched, as others have stated. I do remember reading something about this is a well-known Blog ......

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

It’s not, the main reason, as you’ve just stated in your longer reply, is people question his ability. 

Im saying it’s impossible for a supporter like myself or yourself to judge somebody’s technical ability based off the amount of games Brereton has played.

if the main issue was that he cost £7m and he doesn’t play, I’d agree totally, but by your own admittance that’s not what this is about.

When does it become acceptable for a supporter to judge a players technical ability? Is it possible for me or you to ever judge someone who plays for Real Madrid, Man United or Macclesfield? I’ve seen more of Brereton than I’ve seen of any of their players.

Really, it’s more about how Brereton is able to contribute, which in his first season was very little. He did more bad than good. I’d also point out we’ve had plenty of players who are widely accepted as technically lacking (Savage being a prime example) who have contributed plenty, whereas someone like Rochina who had all the technique in the world was pretty ineffective. Besides, if he had as much technical ability, or as much ability to influence as we’ve a right to expect of a £7 million signing, surely he’d have been given more first team opportunities?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

If Matt Clarke is the Pompey CB then he's being linked in the press with Leeds and Brighton for £6m. 

I always thought Marcus Maddison was the fabled 'baseball cap and ripped jeans' guy. Hopefully he turns up in Tony's office this summer in a bowler hat, 3 piece suit and a monocle. 

Yea shame, he is exactly what we need at the back, will just have to be Bauer then, although I don’t know much about him 

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The other silly thing is he bemoans players wanting £5k more - why not be flexible with the wage if the fee is lower? All of those CM's weren't close to Brereton's fee individually. Perhaps a conversation to be had with Venky's there but we need some flexibility!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Moderation Lead

It’s right to lump Jordan Hugill and load of rubbish together in the same sentence. Absolutely pathetic return in front of goal, that lad.

PNE really had West Ham’s pants down with that transfer!

30 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Really, it’s more about how Brereton is able to contribute, which in his first season was very little. He did more bad than good.

I really fail to see how Brereton did more bad than good with the time he was given. Odd one.

QPR (sub) won Penalty which won us the game
Preston (away) and Bournemouth (away Cup) he scored in both but unfairly ruled offside
First home start v Bolton, scores a great goal.

What bad did he do?

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I really fail to see how Brereton did more bad than good with the time he was given. Odd one.

Preston (away) and Bournemouth (away Cup) he scored in both but unfairly ruled offside

What bad did he do?

Being generally shite?

• Like 3

What bad did he do?

Those offside goals are becoming the new Myles Anderson tackles...

Conceded at least two throw-ins directly from shots where he should have got the back of the net.

Dived a bit.

Lost possession cheaply countless times and didn’t retain the ball.

Appeared to lack effort which allowed the opposition to control possession from the back far more easily.

Provided absolutely no outlet.

He did far less than Nuttall.

If you think Brereton has been worth the money, and positively contributed this season, fair enough. I massively disagree. We aren’t ever going to change each other’s minds.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It’s right to lump Jordan Hugill and load of rubbish together in the same sentence. Absolutely pathetic return in front of goal, that lad.

PNE really had West Ham’s pants down with that transfer!

Pathetic?

Throughout their careers - 

Danny Graham - goal every 229 minutes

Jordan Hugill - goal every 222 minutes.

Personally I quite rate him in the target man role, and would be pleased if it's a sensible fee/wages.

What bad did he do?

The 'bad' would essentially be him taking the place of someone in the team that would've contributed more at the time.

I don't think he looks a terrible player, but he does seem to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team whenever I've seen him play. 

A full pre season of him and the team getting used to a new style of playing could be just what he needs. He should be better equipped to show what he can do next season.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The other silly thing is he bemoans players wanting £5k more - why not be flexible with the wage if the fee is lower? All of those CM's weren't close to Brereton's fee individually. Perhaps a conversation to be had with Venky's there but we need some flexibility!

Exactly what I was thinking. If you have a budget surely you can adjust the wage / transfer fee ratio based on the merits of the players involved.

What Mowbray is saying is that we could have had 2 two of his original targets, who may have gone straight into the team, on higher wages. We ended up with 1 player on lower wages who made no impact. Total spend was the same either way.

It's a strange argument.

• Like 3

Just now, RoverKyle said:

The 'bad' would essentially be him taking the place of someone in the team that would've contributed more at the time.

I don't think he looks a terrible player, but he does seem to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team whenever I've seen him play. 

A full pre season of him and the team getting used to a new style of playing could be just what he needs. He should be better equipped to show what he can do next season.

Footballing intelligence definitely seems to be the main issue. He has it physically, and has shown bits technically. Looks slightly ungainly when he runs, but travels with the ball rather well, albeit looking unorthodox when he does.

Lone strikers, a bit like centre backs, take a few more years to learn the role and responsibility than other positions, and he's learning from an expert in Danny Graham, so there are reasons to have some optimism for me. I think whether he can improve that aspect of his game is probably going to turn out to be most important question about whether he turns out to be a good signing or not in a couple of years time. 

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

Those offside goals are becoming the new Myles Anderson tackles...

Conceded at least two throw-ins directly from shots where he should have got the back of the net.

Dived a bit.

Lost possession cheaply countless times and didn’t retain the ball.

Appeared to lack effort which allowed the opposition to control possession from the back far more easily.

Provided absolutely no outlet.

He did far less than Nuttall.

If you think Brereton has been worth the money, and positively contributed this season, fair enough. I massively disagree. We aren’t ever going to change each other’s minds.

I didn't mention the money once, I asked you to back up your claim he's done more bad than good, which I think it's absolute tosh.

I'm not being funny but "dived a bit" isn't doing more bad than good and I think you can admit that's pedantic.

He played far less than Nuttall...

Which game did he show a lack of effort? In my memory this just didn't happen.

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Hopefully not a revelation, but Ben Brereton doesn't pick the side. To put the fact he played here and there over others as a bad stain on him is odd?

I didn't mention the money once, I asked you to back up your claim he's done more bad than good, which I think it's absolute tosh.

I'm not being funny but "dived a bit" isn't doing more bad than good and I think you can admit that's pedantic.

He played far less than Nuttall...

Which game did he show a lack of effort? In my memory this just didn't happen.

Joe come on.

The lad was generally bloody awful. 

That doesn’t mean I’ve given up on him or he doesn’t need time or there isn’t something there. But to pretend he was more hit than miss last season is utter nonsense.

• Like 6

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Joe come on.

The lad was generally bloody awful. 

That doesn’t mean I’ve given up on him or he doesn’t need time or there isn’t something there. But to pretend he was more hit than miss last season is utter nonsense.

He wasn’t awful. He got a handful of minutes and was okay.

got a goal in his only start upfront.