BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Got a goal against an unpaid, relegated team, but I hope it does give him confidence. But that apart he was very poor. More hit than miss? Get out of it! 

Didn’t say he was more hit, I said he didn’t do “more bad than good”. He was average. But “bad”? Bollocks.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Has what physically? Height? That’s about it. No physical presence at all. 

Needs to hit the weights.

Game of opinions, he lead the line well against Bolton, which lets not forget was the first time he's started at Ewood. Totally accept that they're an abysmal team, but his all round game was good and with a little more composure could've had more than the one. 

He's no Heskey, but he's an athletic boy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I didn't mention the money once, I asked you to back up your claim he's done more bad than good, which I think it's absolute tosh.

I'm not being funny but "dived a bit" isn't doing more bad than good and I think you can admit that's pedantic.

He played far less than Nuttall...

Which game did he show a lack of effort? In my memory this just didn't happen.

- You have mentioned money time and time again... both in disputing the generally accepted fee we paid for him, while also using that same reported fee as supposed proof of his ability. You seem to acknowledge he’s been “more miss than hit”, but are outraged at the suggestion he has done “more bad than good”. I absolutely believe that in the vast majority of games where he came on we looked worse for it, and in the games where he was subbed off we looked better for it.

- allow me to expand on that then... he needlessly threw himself to the floor on more than one occasion, and in doing so needlessly surrendered possession

- I don’t have any stats to hand, but I’d be astonished if this were true. I’d bet significant money that Brereton was involved in many more games than Nuttall... no idea in the number of minutes in total they both played, but I’d expect Breretons to be higher. If Nuttall has had more, it won’t be by much. If you’ve got the stats please let me know.

- I can’t remember specific games, but on multiple occasions from my memory.

• Like 1

Hugill would be a great addition in my eyes. Played a lot for Boro last season and does the hard work aswell as get goals.  Would be a class replacement for DG or someone to share that target man role. 

I am abit concerned however that it has been mentioned that Bauer might be our only CB signing this summer as the LT mentioned recently. This is our weakest area and one which needs investment, if we are really looking at a free agent who doesnt have championship experience to solve our defensive fratalities then we won’t even get close to the playoffs imo. 

• Like 3

Just now, TruRover said:

Hugill would be a great addition in my eyes. Played a lot for Boro last season and does the hard work aswell as get goals.  Would be a class replacement for DG or someone to share that target man role. 

I am abit concerned however that it has been mentioned that Bauer might be our only CB signing this summer as the LT mentioned recently. This is our weakest area and one which needs investment, if we are really looking at a free agent who doesnt have championship experience to solve our defensive fratalities then we won’t even get close to the playoffs imo. 

I’d be really disappointed if we only get Bauer, in fact, that’s not true... I will be livid. It would make a mockery out of the assurances that have been made to supporters about improving that area of the team.

• Like 2

Just now, TruRover said:

Agree with that. I think one centre half to play alongside Lenihan could be enough, but if so it'll need to be a real step up to what we currently have. Bauer might be a good player, but in the main untested this level.

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

I’d be really disappointed if we only get Bauer, in fact, that’s not true... I will be livid. It would make a mockery out of the assurances that have been made to supporters about improving that area of the team.

Mowbray made references to defenders coming in this summer during his speech to the fan groups a few weeks ago. He didn't mix his words. Not possibly coming in or maybe coming in but definitely coming and not one defender but defenders plural because those here last season allowed too many goals to go in.

It wouldn't be the first time he's made bold claims to fans which then don't come to fruition but he will be left looking silly if it's the same team as last season with Rodwell and a cheap back up to replace Downing making up the numbers. 

Then again he'll arguably look even worse if he gets his new defenders, spends money doing so and then they turn out to be crap or we continue to leak goals for fun. Then the spotlight turns away from Mulgrews legs and towards the training ground and coaching.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

- You have mentioned money time and time again... both in disputing the generally accepted fee we paid for him, while also using that same reported fee as supposed proof of his ability. You seem to acknowledge he’s been “more miss than hit”, but are outraged at the suggestion he has done “more bad than good”. I absolutely believe that in the vast majority of games where he came on we looked worse for it, and in the games where he was subbed off we looked better for it.

- allow me to expand on that then... he needlessly threw himself to the floor on more than one occasion, and in doing so needlessly surrendered possession

- I don’t have any stats to hand, but I’d be astonished if this were true. I’d bet significant money that Brereton was involved in many more games than Nuttall... no idea in the number of minutes in total they both played, but I’d expect Breretons to be higher. If Nuttall has had more, it won’t be by much. If you’ve got the stats please let me know.

- I can’t remember specific games, but on multiple occasions from my memory.

You are correct.

Brereton played in more games than Nuttall, 25 v 15, and had a lot more time on the field comparatively speaking. To say otherwise is as accurate as other posters saying all he had were a few 10 mins.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

You are correct.

Brereton played in more games than Nuttall, 25 v 15, and had a lot more time on the field comparatively speaking. To say otherwise is as accurate as other posters saying all he had were a few 10 mins.

if it is a straight choice between Brereton and Nuttall, I would take Brereton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Hopefully not a revelation, but Ben Brereton doesn't pick the side. To put the fact he played here and there over others as a bad stain on him is odd?

Love the sniping, but it's really not necessary. Chill out. 

It was evident from his performances - however few or short - that he wasn't ready to step into our first team last season. Although he didn't do anything necessarily 'bad' during his appearances, having him play meant that we lost a presence and goal threat up front.

It says more about the current gulf in class between him and Graham more than anything. But also that we struggled to adopt a different style of play whenever our target man (Graham) was replaced by a more mobile forward (Brereton).

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Didn’t say he was more hit, I said he didn’t do “more bad than good”. He was average. But “bad”? Bollocks.

Bennett is average. Brereton was worse than Bennett last season.

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Pathetic?

Throughout their careers - 

Danny Graham - goal every 229 minutes

Jordan Hugill - goal every 222 minutes.

Personally I quite rate him in the target man role, and would be pleased if it's a sensible fee/wages.

What’s your source? Only basing this on what I can see on Wikipedia, suggests your numbers aren’t all that accurate...

You seen him play recently?

Edited by K-Hod

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, so it's worth pointing out that Bauer does have Championship experience. They bought him when they were in the Championship, then got relegated that season. He played 19 games in the league and a couple of cup games, so sayeth the Wiki. It's not tons of experience of course (less than Brereton's before he signed, but also more than say, Joe Rothwell before he signed), and only making about half the games for a team that got relegated might mean he wasn't up to much, or could just mean he had injuries, but it's factually inaccurate to say he doesn't have Championship experience. Assuming you and others meant 'any' rather than 'substantial' Championship experience.

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Did you go to the away game at St James's Park? 

Ben Brereton played 11 minutes at St James's Park. And yes... yes I did.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

You are correct.

I meant all time appearances, Nuttall has played more for the club, but clarity is clearly not important.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Ben Brereton played 11 minutes at St James's Park. And yes... yes I did.

Then unless you watched a very different game from me, you must have seen him fail to chase every ball that came near him. When you're given 11 minutes the least you do is chase everything even lost causes.. 

• Like 4

Just now, gumboots said:

Then unless you watched a very different game from me, you must have seen him fail to chase every ball that came near him. When you're given 11 minutes the least you do is chase everything even lost causes.. 

We obviously just see it differently.

Just now, gumboots said:

I remember Souey sending Noel Blake on for the last ten minutes against Utd when we'd gone down to ten players after a sending off. All he had to do was run his tripes out for ten minutes and make life hard for their back four. As it was he just lounged about upfield whilst they bombarded us. He'd have done as much good sat next to me in the stand. Souey had him on his way shortly after that.