BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

12 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Probably already been posted but Nicko is reporting that TM wants five new players in the summer. He’s saying we want a GK, RB, CH, CM, and striker. 

He's missed out the big one LEFT-BACK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Would class A league as mid to lower championship / top of league 1 standard overall so read into that what you will.

Seriously? Not a league I watch but my perception of it was utter tinpot.

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Seriously? Not a league I watch but my perception of it was utter tinpot.

The FFA , organisation and League structure are pretty tinpot (franchise /salary cap model) but the football seems to have improved in the few years I've been over here. 

As CCM got a mention earlier , where else in the world can you see giant sauce bottles filling one end of the ground :)

0byq0bh.jpg

Edited by perthblue02

Very, very worrying that Mowbray doesn’t seem to think we need any wingers. Can see our starting XI right now for the first game of 2019/20 season and it’s Armstrong and Bennett on the wings.

8 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

The FFA , organisation and League structure are pretty tinpot (franchise /salary cap model) but the football seems to have improved in the few years I've been over here. 

As CCM got a mention earlier , where else in the world can you see giant sauce bottles filling one end of the ground :)

0byq0bh.jpg

There isn’t even a stand behind the goal!

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

There isn’t even a stand behind the goal!

Of course not , they would have to cut down the palm trees and get rid of the sauce bottles, not going to happen :)

Think their highest attendance in the last few years was around 12 thousand and capacity is 20 odd thousand. Apparently it was built like that so it offered views of the Brisbane water estuary.

Edited by perthblue02

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Of course not , they would have to cut down the palm trees and get rid of the sauce bottles, not going to happen :)

So not so much tin pot as glass bottle!

There is only one reason not to dismiss the Kiwi league out of hand and one reason alone...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Very, very worrying that Mowbray doesn’t seem to think we need any wingers. Can see our starting XI right now for the first game of 2019/20 season and it’s Armstrong and Bennett on the wings.

I’m pretty sure we’re heading towards 3 at the back so wouldn’t need wingers.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

So not so much tin pot as glass bottle!

There is only one reason not to dismiss the Kiwi league out of hand and one reason alone...

The A-League is Australian (with one New Zealand team, Wellington Phoenix).

The New Zealand domestic football is definitely tinpot. Not that as a nation they can't put out the odd legend...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The A-League is Australian (with one New Zealand team, Wellington Phoenix).

The New Zealand domestic football is definitely tinpot. Not that as a nation they can't put out the odd legend...

My mistake. Thought he had posted a photo from a NZ match.

45 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Need to sign 3 centre halves in summer then, not 1.

Need 2 to partner Darragh and 1 to challenge them.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Need to sign 3 centre halves in summer then, not 1.

Need 2 to partner Darragh and 1 to challenge them.

Though I suspect they’ll sign two and promote one of the young lads? 

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He has flirted with the idea but what makes you sure that this is the plan.

With Rodwell on the bench on Saturday, if that is the plan, it shows how forward thinking he is that he didnt play it on Saturday. Surely it would have made sense to play the formation he supposedly intends on playing going forward whenever current personnel allows, It would have allowed Bell and Nyambe to assimilate and stake a claim for the wing back roles, and perhaps have allowed the likes of Dack and Rothwell to start to gel together in a tweaked attack.

I dont agree with going back to a formation that has posed more questions than answers in the past, but if that is the plan, I would have welcomed 8 trial runs starting at Villa Park as a sign of our manager thinking and planning ahead. But no, in went Bennett and Conway, Armstrong back in for Rothwell, back to the status quo.

And that would beg the further question, why sign Chapman?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He has flirted with the idea but what makes you sure that this is the plan.

With Rodwell on the bench on Saturday, if that is the plan, it shows how forward thinking he is that he didnt play it on Saturday. Surely it would have made sense to play the formation he supposedly intends on playing going forward whenever current personnel allows, It would have allowed Bell and Nyambe to assimilate and stake a claim for the wing back roles, and perhaps have allowed the likes of Dack and Rothwell to start to gel together in a tweaked attack.

I dont agree with going back to a formation that has posed more questions than answers in the past, but if that is the plan, I would have welcomed 8 trial runs starting at Villa Park as a sign of our manager thinking and planning ahead. But no, in went Bennett and Conway, Armstrong back in for Rothwell, back to the status quo.

And that would beg the further question, why sign Chapman?

I just get the feeling that’s the formation he’d play if he had the players. He’s talked a few times about Sheff Utd. You can play wide forwards if you play 343. 

4 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

0byq0bh.jpg

Is still a relatively new League isn't it? Give them time, they are still playing ketchup.

• Backroom
13 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

We've been "heading towards a back 3" since the day Mowbray arrived. Just over two years later and we're still nowhere near, and every time we do try to play a back three it's an absolute shambles. Another in an increasingly long list of failures for Mowbray - inability to impose the formation he prefers onto the team, instead repeatedly reverting to this stodgy 4-2-3-1 which makes us a defensive mess. 

Just now, DE. said:

We've been "heading towards a back 3" since the day Mowbray arrived. Just over two years later and we're still nowhere near, and every time we do try to play a back three it's an absolute shambles. Another in an increasingly long list of failures for Mowbray - inability to impose the formation he prefers onto the team, instead repeatedly reverting to this stodgy 4-2-3-1 which makes us a defensive mess. 

A back three can be very effective, but you've got to have the right players, who are happy with the system . This also means the two wing backs have to know how to play the system.

Edited by rigger

• Backroom
Just now, rigger said:

A back three can be very effective, but you've got to have the right players, who are happy with the system . This also means the two wing backs have to know how to play the system.

There's been no evidence in our brief experiments with the formation that our players have been coached to really understand how it works - nor am I convinced our current squad is even close to being capable of doing so. I'd say at the very least to play this system we'd need two new CB's, a new LWB (although we really need two of these as well) and a new CM. I'm also unconvinced by Nyambe as a long-term solution as RWB due to his lack of assists & goals, but he might prove adequete in that position. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DE. said:

There's been no evidence in our brief experiments with the formation that our players have been coached to really understand how it works - nor am I convinced our current squad is even close to being capable of doing so. I'd say at the very least to play this system we'd need two new CB's, a new LWB (although we really need two of these as well) and a new CM. I'm also unconvinced by Nyambe as a long-term solution as RWB due to his lack of assists & goals, but he might prove adequete in that position. 

You should always play the system that fits the skill set of your players and not shoe horn the players into a system that doesn't bring out the best in them. Having said that given Mowbray's signings I expect a 1-9-1 formation next season.

• Like 1

He tried the back 3 in league 1 and the team wasn't good enough to carry it off apart from the odd in game change so if he couldn't put a side together to do it there with the biggest budget in the league it won't be happening now.  He'd need an almost entire new back line and that isn't happening and that's before he confuses them with his other selections etc.

Best way for a safety first pass it around the back line then smack it forward guy like him to play is with a solid flat consistent back 4 and good at the basics keeper.  That's where he needs to start imo.

52 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He tried the back 3 in league 1 and the team wasn't good enough to carry it off apart from the odd in game change so if he couldn't put a side together to do it there with the biggest budget in the league it won't be happening now.  He'd need an almost entire new back line and that isn't happening and that's before he confuses them with his other selections etc.

Best way for a safety first pass it around the back line then smack it forward guy like him to play is with a solid flat consistent back 4 and good at the basics keeper.  That's where he needs to start imo.

TM tried the system with players who collectively were not good enough. He needs to get the correct players together.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

TM tried the system with players who collectively were not good enough. He needs to get the correct players together.

And that's unlikey to happen for a multitude of reasons and if he thought he could do it with Bell & Nyambe as the wingbacks then tried to shoehorn his signing Whittingham in as well I've zero faith he'll come up with the goods this time.

Mowbray is a very basic manager and needs to stick to basic things and get good players for that in my view.