Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

If Matt Clarke is the Pompey CB then he's being linked in the press with Leeds and Brighton for £6m. 

I always thought Marcus Maddison was the fabled 'baseball cap and ripped jeans' guy. Hopefully he turns up in Tony's office this summer in a bowler hat, 3 piece suit and a monocle. 

Yea shame, he is exactly what we need at the back, will just have to be Bauer then, although I don’t know much about him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't rule it out with the old North East/Middlesbrough connection there but he'll have been on fortunes at West Ham and hasn't really done the business for a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There it is from the horses mouth my suspicions confirmed that it was a panic move late on as money was on the table and Mowbray felt compelled to spend it through fear it wouldn't materialise down the line. 

The big question for me is whether that cash was there all summer and we failed to invest it until the 11th hour due to pursuing unrealistic targets for weeks and weeks or it wasn't and someone at Venky Hq suddenly decided to throw a lump sum into the mix to sign a 'star' player hence the last minute nature of it and throwing it all into one player rather than spreading it around the team.

Incomprehensible that Mowbray would opt to spend such an amount on a 19 year old project whilst doing next to nothing with the defence and midfield and ending up with no fit centre halves in January.

The other silly thing is he bemoans players wanting £5k more - why not be flexible with the wage if the fee is lower? All of those CM's weren't close to Brereton's fee individually. Perhaps a conversation to be had with Venky's there but we need some flexibility!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s right to lump Jordan Hugill and load of rubbish together in the same sentence. Absolutely pathetic return in front of goal, that lad.

PNE really had West Ham’s pants down with that transfer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What do you think we'd get if we offered him back to Forest ?

Would they want him? £500000 max is my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Really, it’s more about how Brereton is able to contribute, which in his first season was very little. He did more bad than good.

I really fail to see how Brereton did more bad than good with the time he was given. Odd one.

QPR (sub) won Penalty which won us the game
Preston (away) and Bournemouth (away Cup) he scored in both but unfairly ruled offside
First home start v Bolton, scores a great goal.

What bad did he do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I really fail to see how Brereton did more bad than good with the time he was given. Odd one.

QPR (sub) won Penalty which won us the game
Preston (away) and Bournemouth (away Cup) he scored in both but unfairly ruled offside
First home start v Bolton, scores a great goal.

What bad did he do?

Being generally shite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I really fail to see how Brereton did more bad than good with the time he was given. Odd one.

QPR (sub) won Penalty which won us the game
Preston (away) and Bournemouth (away Cup) he scored in both but unfairly ruled offside
First home start v Bolton, scores a great goal.

What bad did he do?

Those offside goals are becoming the new Myles Anderson tackles...

Conceded at least two throw-ins directly from shots where he should have got the back of the net.

Dived a bit.

Lost possession cheaply countless times and didn’t retain the ball.

Appeared to lack effort which allowed the opposition to control possession from the back far more easily.

Provided absolutely no outlet.

He did far less than Nuttall.

 

If you think Brereton has been worth the money, and positively contributed this season, fair enough. I massively disagree. We aren’t ever going to change each other’s minds.

Edited by Miller11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It’s right to lump Jordan Hugill and load of rubbish together in the same sentence. Absolutely pathetic return in front of goal, that lad.

PNE really had West Ham’s pants down with that transfer!

Pathetic?

Throughout their careers - 

Danny Graham - goal every 229 minutes

Jordan Hugill - goal every 222 minutes.

 

Personally I quite rate him in the target man role, and would be pleased if it's a sensible fee/wages.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I really fail to see how Brereton did more bad than good with the time he was given. Odd one.

QPR (sub) won Penalty which won us the game
Preston (away) and Bournemouth (away Cup) he scored in both but unfairly ruled offside
First home start v Bolton, scores a great goal.

What bad did he do?

The 'bad' would essentially be him taking the place of someone in the team that would've contributed more at the time.

I don't think he looks a terrible player, but he does seem to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team whenever I've seen him play. 

A full pre season of him and the team getting used to a new style of playing could be just what he needs. He should be better equipped to show what he can do next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The other silly thing is he bemoans players wanting £5k more - why not be flexible with the wage if the fee is lower? All of those CM's weren't close to Brereton's fee individually. Perhaps a conversation to be had with Venky's there but we need some flexibility!

Exactly what I was thinking. If you have a budget surely you can adjust the wage / transfer fee ratio based on the merits of the players involved.

What Mowbray is saying is that we could have had 2 two of his original targets, who may have gone straight into the team, on higher wages. We ended up with 1 player on lower wages who made no impact. Total spend was the same either way.

It's a strange argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverKyle said:

The 'bad' would essentially be him taking the place of someone in the team that would've contributed more at the time.

I don't think he looks a terrible player, but he does seem to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team whenever I've seen him play. 

A full pre season of him and the team getting used to a new style of playing could be just what he needs. He should be better equipped to show what he can do next season.

Footballing intelligence definitely seems to be the main issue. He has it physically, and has shown bits technically. Looks slightly ungainly when he runs, but travels with the ball rather well, albeit looking unorthodox when he does.

Lone strikers, a bit like centre backs, take a few more years to learn the role and responsibility than other positions, and he's learning from an expert in Danny Graham, so there are reasons to have some optimism for me. I think whether he can improve that aspect of his game is probably going to turn out to be most important question about whether he turns out to be a good signing or not in a couple of years time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Miller11 said:

Those offside goals are becoming the new Myles Anderson tackles...

Conceded at least two throw-ins directly from shots where he should have got the back of the net.

Dived a bit.

Lost possession cheaply countless times and didn’t retain the ball.

Appeared to lack effort which allowed the opposition to control possession from the back far more easily.

Provided absolutely no outlet.

He did far less than Nuttall.

 

If you think Brereton has been worth the money, and positively contributed this season, fair enough. I massively disagree. We aren’t ever going to change each other’s minds.

I didn't mention the money once, I asked you to back up your claim he's done more bad than good, which I think it's absolute tosh.

I'm not being funny but "dived a bit" isn't doing more bad than good and I think you can admit that's pedantic.

He played far less than Nuttall...

Which game did he show a lack of effort? In my memory this just didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has what physically? Height? That’s about it. No physical presence at all. 

Needs to hit the weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverKyle said:

The 'bad' would essentially be him taking the place of someone in the team that would've contributed more at the time.

Hopefully not a revelation, but Ben Brereton doesn't pick the side. To put the fact he played here and there over others as a bad stain on him is odd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I didn't mention the money once, I asked you to back up your claim he's done more bad than good, which I think it's absolute tosh.

I'm not being funny but "dived a bit" isn't doing more bad than good and I think you can admit that's pedantic.

He played far less than Nuttall...

Which game did he show a lack of effort? In my memory this just didn't happen.

Joe come on.

The lad was generally bloody awful. 

That doesn’t mean I’ve given up on him or he doesn’t need time or there isn’t something there. But to pretend he was more hit than miss last season is utter nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Joe come on.

The lad was generally bloody awful. 

That doesn’t mean I’ve given up on him or he doesn’t need time or there isn’t something there. But to pretend he was more hit than miss last season is utter nonsense.

He wasn’t awful. He got a handful of minutes and was okay.

got a goal in his only start upfront.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a goal against an unpaid, relegated team, but I hope it does give him confidence. But that apart he was very poor. More hit than miss? Get out of it! 

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Got a goal against an unpaid, relegated team, but I hope it does give him confidence. But that apart he was very poor. More hit than miss? Get out of it! 

Didn’t say he was more hit, I said he didn’t do “more bad than good”. He was average. But “bad”? Bollocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Hi everyone, I'm looking for the Summer Transfer Window thread?

Can you point TM and Waggott to it when you find it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Has what physically? Height? That’s about it. No physical presence at all. 

Needs to hit the weights.

Game of opinions, he lead the line well against Bolton, which lets not forget was the first time he's started at Ewood. Totally accept that they're an abysmal team, but his all round game was good and with a little more composure could've had more than the one. 

He's no Heskey, but he's an athletic boy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I didn't mention the money once, I asked you to back up your claim he's done more bad than good, which I think it's absolute tosh.

I'm not being funny but "dived a bit" isn't doing more bad than good and I think you can admit that's pedantic.

He played far less than Nuttall...

Which game did he show a lack of effort? In my memory this just didn't happen.

- You have mentioned money time and time again... both in disputing the generally accepted fee we paid for him, while also using that same reported fee as supposed proof of his ability. You seem to acknowledge he’s been “more miss than hit”, but are outraged at the suggestion he has done “more bad than good”. I absolutely believe that in the vast majority of games where he came on we looked worse for it, and in the games where he was subbed off we looked better for it.

- allow me to expand on that then... he needlessly threw himself to the floor on more than one occasion, and in doing so needlessly surrendered possession

- I don’t have any stats to hand, but I’d be astonished if this were true. I’d bet significant money that Brereton was involved in many more games than Nuttall... no idea in the number of minutes in total they both played, but I’d expect Breretons to be higher. If Nuttall has had more, it won’t be by much. If you’ve got the stats please let me know.

- I can’t remember specific games, but on multiple occasions from my memory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.