BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

28 minutes ago, The Axe said:

By what accounts is he a greedy bastard. I know people who know him from Madeira and they paint a picture in which money was never a factor with him. He played two seasons on little more than board and lodgings to get a chance to move up to the Maritimo first team. Maritimo do not pay big wages but he never sought a move and made no attempt to leave until Charlton came in for him. Perhaps you could elucidate on how and when he became a well known greedy bastard.

Probably as soon as an agent took him under their wing.

21 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The point I was answering had nothing to do with playing. It was Mowbray wanted to use him as a mentor. I was asking why do that when we already had an experienced winger here.

If Downing is better and can benefit the first team squad then I'm fine with the deal. If on the other hand he is having one last payday then it is a waste of resource we haven't much of.

I am sure he isn't just being signed as a mentor. Either way he is better than Conway in both regards. 

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I've not really seen him play so no idea if he's any good. The problem though now is that PKE are now seen as a  bigger draw than us for prospective signings. I'd be surprised if they pay bigger wages, they certainly don't spend bigger on transfers. So what have they got that we haven't? My guess would be an inspiring, positive manager and not Lance Corporal Jones. 

Or just a look at league positions over the past 5 seasons would probably do it 

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And this time last year we beat them to Adam Armstrong simply because we could meet his demands and Nobbers couldn't. This came from Peter Risdale at a Nobbers supporters forum.

I am really worried now that the Indians have turned the tap down to a trickle.

Or we don't want to pay over the odds to a greedy so and so. I think every sign points to that. 

We have the same budget as last summer according to Waggott, so tap still running luke warm, medium speed 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or we don't want to pay over the odds to a greedy so and so. I think every sign points to that. 

We have the same budget as last summer according to Waggott, so tap still running luke warm, medium speed 

Or we are playing catch up. Whilst Mowbray and Waggott are out in Pune waiting for their audience to try and persuade the owners to cough up some money Preston and most other clubs have already got all that sorted and are on with contacting available players and negotiating terms.

If he's a 'greedy so and so' then how come it sounds like he's going to Preston? They don't pay big wages and also lose a lot less a year than we do. So if he's going there over than here for financial reasons something is amiss somewhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or just a look at league positions over the past 5 seasons would probably do it 

Why 5? Let's make it 10, or 20. Or let's count trophies over the last 30.

Or let's just count the most recent season and only worthwhile comparison. They finished a massive 2 points above us. 

PNE. Massive attraction for any player?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Or we are playing catch up. Whilst Mowbray and Waggott are out in Pune waiting for their audience to try and persuade the owners to cough up some money Preston and most other clubs have already got all that sorted and are on with contacting available players and negotiating terms.

If he's a 'greedy so and so' then how come it sounds like he's going to Preston? They don't pay big wages and also lose a lot less a year than we do. So if he's going there over than here for financial reasons something is amiss somewhere.

Well there's no way they are paying the 40/50k pwk or even half of it so if he does end up going there it'll raise a few eyebrows.

Wouldn't be surprised though we courted Assombalanga knowing already he'd command a huge fee and wages then after we signed no one we got told we were in for some good ones but they were too dear,... no shit !!!!

Becoming a convenient get out of jail card when we end up with the expected young loans and lower level back ups ?

How serious are we ?     We know we aren't 30k pwk + serious but to get some decent players they'll have to pay some decent wedge, how much is Samuel, Gladwin, Smallwood on ?  Be nice if that was freed up.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

If we are to believe Mowbray and two centre halves are being targetted then perhaps Bauer wanted assurances over minutes that Mowbray couldn't give.

Haven't  seen much of Bauer but if media reports are correct and we are trying to bring Hanley in then I would expect Lenihan and Hanley as first choice, I'd rather Hanley than Bauer

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Playing catch up? We have been interested in Baeur since at least last January. 

Ya, it's more than likely not financial. Probably just thinks they are the better option. I mean, is anyone surprised? 

42 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Why 5? Let's make it 10, or 20. Or let's count trophies over the last 30.

Or let's just count the most recent season and only worthwhile comparison. They finished a massive 2 points above us. 

PNE. Massive attraction for any player?

If I was a player, I would be looking at the last 5 seasons, not the last 30. Unfortunately for us, Preston are a more attractive option at the moment. I think we are catching them and will pass them soon, but ya a sign of how far we fell under our great leaders in Pune

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If I was a player, I would be looking at the last 5 seasons, not the last 30. Unfortunately for us, Preston are a more attractive option at the moment. I think we are catching them and will pass them soon, but ya a sign of how far we fell under our great leaders in Pune

PNE a more attractive option ! We are down the rabbit hole. ?

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Yeah he is going to stay with this I think. 

Need 7 players:

Competition GK - Frank Fielding Free

Dominant Centre Half - Grant Hanley

Competition at LB - Jake Bidwell

New Centre Midfielder - Joe Aribo

Resign Rodwell

New Right Winger - Tahith Chong on Loan from Man United.

New Striker - Jordan Hugill 

If we manage to sign 7 players, let alone 7 good ones, I will be amazed.

I anticipate about 3/4 decent players is about where we'll end up, similar to previous windows.

The worry for me would not necessarily be the player, but it all boils back to this ridiculous system that Venkys insist on, making the manager wait until a couple of weeks after the season has finished to go all the way to India to plead with them for a budget, especially when our league status was confirmed with weeks to spare. Its essentially giving everyone else a massive head start.

• Like 3

They finished 1 point above us and conceded like 2 less goals? What exactly makes Preston so attractive as I'm clearly missing something?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Either way he is better than Conway in both regards. 

How can you say that?

Do you know him personally? If he is an inward type person who doesn't communicate then now matter what he was like as a player he would be rubbish as a mentor.

Anyway if you know him personally then I'm sorry that I've questioned you.

As a player, historically Downing may have been a better player but is he now? I know Conway's legs had gone and at the level we play up he wasn't up to it but is Downing?

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The worry for me would not necessarily be the player, but it all boils back to this ridiculous system that Venkys insist on, making the manager wait until a couple of weeks after the season has finished to go all the way to India to plead with them for a budget, especially when our league status was confirmed with weeks to spare. Its essentially giving everyone else a massive head start.

Most managers meet with the owners to sign off the budget after the season has finished.

Just now, Ossydave said:

They finished 1 point above us and conceded like 2 less goals? What exactly makes Preston so attractive as I'm clearly missing something?

They have been floating around the play offs prior to the last season, we were in league 1. We still have a bit of a stigma for being a basket case. It's disappearing thanks to Mowbray though 

I reckon it could be that he was told he will play there, Whereas Honest Tony said he would have to fight for his place. 

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

How can you say that?

Do you know him personally? If he is an inward type person who doesn't communicate then now matter what he was like as a player he would be rubbish as a mentor.

Anyway if you know him personally then I'm sorry that I've questioned you.

As a player, historically Downing may have been a better player but is he now? I know Conway's legs had gone and at the level we play up he wasn't up to it but is Downing?

He is an ex international who has played at a far higher level than Conway. Unless he is a mute, he surely brings more to the table. 

As for playing wise. Chalk and cheese. Conway played a handful of games last season. Downing started over 30 for a team who almost made the play offs. 

They have been floating around the play offs prior to the last season, we were in league 1. We still have a bit of a stigma for being a basket case. It's disappearing thanks to Mowbray though 

I reckon it could be that he was told he will play there, Whereas Honest Tony said he would have to fight for his place. 

They were in league 1 themselves 4 years ago. Granted they had a decent season prior to last season but still failed to make the play offs. Really struggling to see how they could be seen as a more attractive proposition tbh. I'm not overly bothered if we do miss out on Bauer, I think he rates himself more than others seem to rate him.

He is an ex international who has played at a far higher level than Conway. Unless he is a mute, he surely brings more to the table. 

As for playing wise. Chalk and cheese. Conway played a handful of games last season. Downing started over 30 for a team who almost made the play offs. 

Cant blame me for being wary. We've been here before. At least you knew what you had with Conway!

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

They were in league 1 themselves 4 years ago. Granted they had a decent season prior to last season but still failed to make the play offs. Really struggling to see how they could be seen as a more attractive proposition tbh. I'm not overly bothered if we do miss out on Bauer, I think he rates himself more than others seem to rate him.

or his agent does!

I suppose as most contracts run to and from 30th June most free agents will be announcing moves next week , maybe we already have 1 or 2 in the bag 

• Like 1