BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

We could easily have just moved onto other players.

Secretly I’m glad - I’ve watched him a few times trying to look positively for reasons why we’ve been so keen, and I was reaching tbh.

Bookmark this - he’ll go on to be immense and in the team of the season and the message board goes full reactor 4.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Bauer signs for Preston. One thing is for sure you can guarantee that he isn't on 40-50K a week there. Rather embarrassing for the club to pursue a  player for about a year and he ends up going to Preston. 

As Sharpe said, looks like Preston guaranteed him a starting place and Rovers  couldn’t give him that, let’s hope we have someone else lined up who’s better.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

We could easily have just moved onto other players.

Secretly I’m glad - I’ve watched him a few times trying to look positively for reasons why we’ve been so keen, and I was reaching tbh.

Bookmark this - he’ll go on to be immense and in the team of the season and the message board goes full reactor 4.

I think PNE's manager has a fairly decent success rate when it comes to transfers, on a smaller budget than Mowbray. 

• Like 3

If we're not targeting CBs that we can guarantee a starting place - it doesnt exactly fill me with hope. We need at least one CB that goes straight into the starting eleven alongside Lenihan.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

As Sharpe said, looks like Preston guaranteed him a starting place and Rovers  couldn’t give him that, let’s hope we have someone else lined up who’s better.

They are getting their excuses in early. Most of moggas signings have started their career at Rovers on the bench, even the expensive ones. He's either lied to them all or they were happy to fight for their place, like most footballers. 

That's Mowbray's 2nd knock back of the summer and we're not even in July. This is turning into a repeat of last summer when he ended up panic buying because he couldn't secure his 1st choice targets. 

Mowbray obviously can't sell the club as an attractive place to come and play. 

Beaten to the punch by PNE. FFS! 

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

If we're not targeting CBs that we can guarantee a starting place - it doesnt exactly fill me with hope. We need at least one CB that goes straight into the starting eleven alongside Lenihan.

I honestly think it's Lenihan/Williams to start the season, any new centre half will start the season on the bench.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Bauer signs for Preston. One thing is for sure you can guarantee that he isn't on 40-50K a week there. Rather embarrassing for the club to pursue a  player for about a year and he ends up going to Preston. 

It's only embarrassing if he turns out to be a good player. Lets wait and see.

We've been after this guy for over a year but yet again in typical Rovers fashion it seems we've happily been linked to someone who was never likely to come but it looks like we are doing something.

No doubt his agent was asking for daft wages but I think 40/50k pwk is a complete porkie from honest Tony who's bluff has now been called as he's signed for Preston who'll no way be paying half that free or no free. 

Think the fact is TM would've done it on the cheap because as Sharpe has said this morning he would likely have been Downings replacement, a good one no doubt but very very worrying as if that's the case TM is clearly yet again only interested in signing back ups and squaddies to his present first choices and that's not good enough imo particularly when it looks like he'll be happy to spew a lump of his budget on 20k + pwk Downing ( old boy network). 

Pissing money directly down the drain that will be because you could put Ronaldo and Messi up front in one of his teams and we'd still concede shite goals weekly.

He better come up with something good pretty soo.

• Like 2

Just now, unsall said:

Well if we couldn't guarantee him a starting place, we fecking better have someone lined up! 

• Like 3

Jake Cooper, Grant Hanley, Patrick Bauer, Liam Lindsay.

Out of that list of players who’ve been mentioned who actually thinks Bauer was option “A”?

The worrying thing is, Bauer was likely Option B. So either Option A AND B are gone, or Option A is coming and we’ve nothing to worry about.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Agree completely. 

Should be the number one target. Bauer might have only been considered a backup option and that's fair enough. So TM surely must have a top target that we are chasing?

Just now, rigger said:

It's only embarrassing if he turns out to be a good player. Lets wait and see.

It's embarrassing that we have chased him pretty publicly for a year and yet we still can't convince him to join us over Preston.

Just now, tomphil said:

Think the fact is TM would've done it on the cheap because as Sharpe has said this morning he would likely have been Downings replacement, a good one no doubt but very very worrying as if that's the case TM is clearly yet again only interested in signing back ups and squaddies to his present first choices and that's not good enough imo particularly when it looks like he'll be happy to spew a lump of his budget on 20k + pwk Downing ( old boy network). 

Sharpe doing a bit or PR work for the club there I think. Why when your first choice defence is terrible would you be worried about replacing a defender who played 3 games last season especially when we have young lads like Wharton, Magloire and Grayson who could fill in for 3 games.

• Like 2

It's not money in this case unless we really have non the cold hard fact here is Mowbray seems to have been unable to attract a player to Rovers he's been tracking over a year and he's gone to Preston.  Not a big club or a wealthy one or in a flash area so no of those excuses wash the underlying issues may well be you're behind the pecking order of Lenihen, Mulgrew and possibly Williams and Rodwell from the moment you come ffs OR they clearly demonstrated the ambition he didn't.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Agree completely. 

Should be the number one target. Bauer might have only been considered a backup option and that's fair enough. So TM surely must have a top target that we are chasing?

Thats what I am clinging to but a feeling in my gut makes me think we might be doing the TM trick of backing up what we have rather than replacing them. if we're looking for someone to start and Bauer was to be backup fine - if not, brace yourself for a ton more goals to be shipped next season.

Personally couldn't really care less about Bauer. He's obviously had assurances that he's going to be a starter there, as long as we bring in someone of proven Championship quality then I don't think we can complain. 

I think Hanley will end up back here. Just a hunch. 

• Like 2

Just now, Neal said:

Personally couldn't really care less about Bauer. He's obviously had assurances that he's going to be a starter there, as long as we bring in someone of proven Championship quality then I don't think we can complain. 

I think Hanley will end up back here. Just a hunch. 

I would be happy with that.

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

We cannot guarantee you a place in a defence that shipped the most away goals in the EFL last season - hardly going to inspire anyone to sign is it. 

If Tony is coming out with this type of shyte, he needs to go quickly , unless he's got Grant in his back pocket 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

Time will tell what happens next. We land a Hanley etc. soon and most people will quickly forget about Patrick Bauer. I don't expect that will happen though. 

Bauer clearly a long term target that we've failed to get over the line. Either because PNE are seen as better in some shape or form (manager wise, admin wise, financially), or we've moved on to other targets, or we simply haven't a clue what we're doing as we're 4 weeks behind clubs like Preston thanks to the India trip.

Either way it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Mowbray spent all last summer preaching patience and the long game talking about high calibre targets. We ended up paying 10 million for Brereton and to bring Armstrong back. Hope he's got a better couple of tricks up his sleeve.

• Like 4

Or Bauer played with someone who Neil managed before who he gave him a  glowing reference, thus swaying his decision.

Who knows? 

The default reason doesn't always have to be that Mowbray and the club "did something wrong" 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Well the pressure is on Mowbray now to get a signing through the door to appease the discontent a lot of us are feeling with the Bauer news. 

Like him, rate him, whatever, the fact is it's slightly embarrassing to be so linked and for so long and him join Preston.

Hanley, Cooper or Linsdsay would do. But we certainly need one, maybe two quality CBs to go with Lenihan.

Que Rodwell to resign and Downing.

17 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We cannot guarantee you a place in a defence that shipped the most away goals in the EFL last season - hardly going to inspire anyone to sign is it. 

Should he be guaranteed a place though? 

I don't see why managers should be guaranteeing them starting places just to sign.  What if he plays badly in training? Should it be in his contract? 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Should he be guaranteed a place though? 

I don't see why managers should be guaranteeing them starting places just to sign.  What if he plays badly in training? Should it be in his contract? 

Well he's allegedly been guaranteed a place at Preston and while not heaps better, their defence wasnt as bad as outs last season. I dont think its ever contractual its just the word of the manager. TM is probably a little too honest for his own good sometimes and probably told him he will be down the pecking order int he beginning and will have to fight for a place while Preston probably told him everything he wanted to hear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unsall said:

That is nonsense from Sharpe. How on earth can anybody be guaranteed a starting place - it just doesn't happen. If he's playing better than his competition he will play, if not he doesn't.

• Like 1