BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

44 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Jake Cooper, Grant Hanley, Patrick Bauer, Liam Lindsay.

Out of that list of players who’ve been mentioned who actually thinks Bauer was option “A”?

The worrying thing is, Bauer was likely Option B. So either Option A AND B are gone, or Option A is coming and we’ve nothing to worry about.

Lindsay has gone to Stoke so your list is down to two.

44 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Agree completely. 

Should be the number one target. Bauer might have only been considered a backup option and that's fair enough. So TM surely must have a top target that we are chasing?

I too agree. Plus Tony has come out and said that Hanley who happens to be an solid experienced centre that he’s not the top target which I think he’s lined up better centre half’s?

Don’t think we can judge/moan about potential signings for at least 4 weeks yet.

Who knows what players may come through the building? 

Just now, arbitro said:

That is nonsense from Sharpe. How on earth can anybody be guaranteed a starting place - it just doesn't happen. If he's playing better than his competition he will play, if not he doesn't.

Doesn't always work like that here...

• Like 2

In my opinion now that Downing has become available Mowbray is probably preparing to swallow up most his budget on this guys short term wages hence the sudden cooling on Bauer. Then they'll scrabble about for a good loan or two where the parent club contributes most, be it Hanley or someone else.

Then maybe a squaddie and if there is actually any transfer money another 'bubble under the surface' youngster via a friendly agent or three.

This would more fit his mantra than spending or loaning in players actually ready to take the place of the improved deal favourites.

Downing will be trumpeted as a marquee signing stepping down to come to lil old Rovers from massive mighty Boro I can just see it now.

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or Bauer played with someone who Neil managed before who he gave him a  glowing reference, thus swaying his decision.

Who knows? 

The default reason doesn't always have to be that Mowbray and the club "did something wrong" 

Your optimism is admirable. Bauer has picked them over Rovers because he might have played with someone who previously played under Neil who gave Neil a glowing reference so he joins Preston? 

So nothing to do with financial details, contracts, us chasing him for more than a year, our club being well known as a shambles of an outfit usually at least a month behind rivals in most aspects.

I know which version I believe and what I think is the most likely run of events here. Of course we could come out of it ok if we go and get someone better, we could also end up in a mess given the time invested into this failed signing and Mowbray's fussiness over new signings.

Telegraph at work protecting Rovers position saying Preston could guarantee him starts. Who apart from the world class players can expect guaranteed starts?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Well the pressure is on Mowbray now to get a signing through the door to appease the discontent a lot of us are feeling with the Bauer news. 

Like him, rate him, whatever, the fact is it's slightly embarrassing to be so linked and for so long and him join Preston.

Hanley, Cooper or Linsdsay would do. But we certainly need one, maybe two quality CBs to go with Lenihan.

Que Rodwell to resign and Downing.

There is no pressure on Mowbray till our owners decide to apply it. We can rage as much as we want but it won't influence anything

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Your optimism is admirable. Bauer has picked them over Rovers because he might have played with someone who previously played under Neil who gave Neil a glowing reference so he joins Preston? 

So nothing to do with financial details, contracts, us chasing him for more than a year, our club being well known as a shambles of an outfit usually at least a month behind rivals in most aspects.

I know which version I believe and what I think is the most likely run of events here. Of course we could come out of it ok if we go and get someone better, we could also end up in a mess given the time invested into this failed signing and Mowbray's fussiness over new signings.

Telegraph at work protecting Rovers position saying Preston could guarantee him starts. Who apart from the world class players can expect guaranteed starts?

Well my guess for why he chose them is as good as anyones, about as much evidence as well.

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Jake Cooper, Grant Hanley, Patrick Bauer, Liam Lindsay.

Out of that list of players who’ve been mentioned who actually thinks Bauer was option “A”?

The worrying thing is, Bauer was likely Option B. So either Option A AND B are gone, or Option A is coming and we’ve nothing to worry about.

Lindsay's gone to Stoke, Mowbray has already said Hanley isn't top of the list.

• Moderation Lead
39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or Bauer played with someone who Neil managed before who he gave him a  glowing reference, thus swaying his decision.

Who knows? 

The default reason doesn't always have to be that Mowbray and the club "did something wrong" 

It doesn't, but it's a little confusing that this lad has been linked to us for about a year, then PNE swoop in out of nowhere and sign him.

Well my guess for why he chose them is as good as anyones, about as much evidence as well.

Well we know that we are late with most things. We know that the manager and CEO didn't know what the plan or budget was going to be up until a couple of weeks ago. We know that since then Mowbray, who controls the footballing operation, has been on a well earned family holiday. It is safe to deduce that progress on transfers will have been very limited during that time as Mowbray will have been unable to meet with new signings.

Most of that is fact as confirmed by the club. Not guesswork or assumption. The assumption is the above impacts on our ability to recruit quickly and decisively, which I think it does compared to a club with an owner who takes interest and prioritises the club.

Just now, K-Hod said:

It doesn't, but it's a little confusing that this lad has been linked to us for about a year, then PNE swoop in out of nowhere and sign him.

It is what it is, he drew more attention on himself after scoring the goal in the play off final, so had more options. He chose Preston. Very possibly the incorrect choice. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Well we know that we are late with most things. We know that the manager and CEO didn't know what the plan or budget was going to be up until a couple of weeks ago. We know that since then Mowbray, who controls the footballing operation, has been on a well earned family holiday. It is safe to deduce that progress on transfers will have been very limited during that time as Mowbray will have been unable to meet with new signings.

Most of that is fact as confirmed by the club. Not guesswork or assumption. The assumption is the above impacts on our ability to recruit quickly and decisively, which I think it does compared to a club with an owner who takes interest and prioritises the club.

So you think that we never made an offer to Bauer?  

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Should he be guaranteed a place though? 

I don't see why managers should be guaranteeing them starting places just to sign.  What if he plays badly in training? Should it be in his contract? 

It's what managers say though there'll be a long list who've been promised they are coming in to start then soon find themselves not doing. To sign players you have to massage their egos if there are a few clubs in for them and as we know football talk is 50% bullshit at all times by all managers.

TM may be too honest for his own good in these circumstances - 'We'd like you to come here a be 3rd choice CH to start with behind Lenihem & Mulgrew with a view to forcing you're way in and keeping the shirt and for that we'll give you X amount per week'  as opposed to - 'Patrick we've been tracking you a long time and we see you as someone who can come straight in and start and we can build a team around you as long as you hit the grade, for that we'll give you x amount and a cherry on top if succesful'

So you think that we never made an offer to Bauer?  

No idea. But as his contract at Charlton expires who will have been speaking to him or meeting with him recently to try and get a deal done?

• Moderation Lead

It is what it is, he drew more attention on himself after scoring the goal in the play off final, so had more options. He chose Preston. Very possibly the incorrect choice. 

Yet the other day you said that PNE were a better option than us......:rover:

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's embarrassing that we have chased him pretty publicly for a year and yet we still can't convince him to join us over Preston.

I refer to my earlier opinion. It is only embarrassing if he turns out to be a good un. It may be that we have chased him for a year with a value for money figure in mind. Preston may have offered a larger figure. If he is out of our value for money range you pull out of the deal. I don't see any embarrassment in that. 

• Moderation Lead

Do you not think it's a bit embarrassing that we have failed to sign a player we've clearly been after for a year? Only for PNE to steal a march and sign him?

Remember, there's been no announcement from us that we were 'pulling out of the race to sign him' for example.

Just now, K-Hod said:

I read we were looking to bring him in last year but Charlton wanted £500k for a player who was free six months after. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/why-blackburn-rovers-should-definitely-look-to-reignite-interest-in-defensive-stalwart/

Just now, rigger said:

I refer to my earlier opinion. It is only embarrassing if he turns out to be a good un. It may be that we have chased him for a year with a value for money figure in mind. Preston may have offered a larger figure. If he is out of our value for money range you pull out of the deal. I don't see any embarrassment in that. 

If we applied that logic to any potential signings we wouldn't sign anybody.

9 minutes ago, gumboots said:

There is no pressure on Mowbray till our owners decide to apply it. We can rage as much as we want but it won't influence anything

Spot on.   I've never seen such a relaxed scenario as what there is now lets hope the holiday camp midtable just do enough mentality isn't settling in again.