BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Yeah, until Alex Neill saw him scoring a goal on the telly he'd never heard of him :rolleyes:

And yesterday you were saying PNE were a more attractive option so in your mind it must surely be the correct decision.

Not even Houdini could get out of the knots you've tied yourself up in, and not because he's dead.  

I said I can see why a player would see Preston as a better option. 

I then said he possibly made the wrong choice. Time will tell. 

Sit this one out bud 

Just now, Neal said:

Pretty sure no one will care about Bauer once we make a couple of promising signings. 

We need more than couple, for starters we need a whole new back line. Only 45 Days until the window shuts and we aren't exactly noted for getting deals done quickly. 

• Like 1

Bauer is a league one defender who has chosen to sign for the best they’ll ever be club on a free. He’s not great and they haven’t paid millions to secure him. Just a freebie. His career record doesn’t say star but journey man and by 26 your record should say more. Hanley twice the player. Let’s see who appears. Although to undermine my argument completely there does appear to be a similar approach.

A defensive brereton long term project type. God forbid

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

How can PNE offer him more than us? How can we lose 10 million a year more than them if so?

Maybe they have a higher value for money range on him,  than we have. The second part could be bad business strategy. 

Just now, Stuart said:

Woah woah woah.

Let me stop you there.

Not me personally, but they have undoubtedly closed the gap to us in terms of attractiveness. Passed it even. I know, hard to imagine that would have happened when we were in the premier league, but unfortunately it's the reality. 

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:10, Bigdoggsteel said:

If I was a player, I would be looking at the last 5 seasons, not the last 30. Unfortunately for us, Preston are a more attractive option at the moment. I think we are catching them and will pass them soon, but ya a sign of how far we fell under our great leaders in Pune

Someone's telling porkies, 'bud'. 

Don't we keep getting told by our own manager we need to be following the Preston model ?

I'd be interested to know when was the last time they shelled out millions on an U23 reserve or got into talks with a 30k pwk 35 yr old free agent with a serious view to signing him maybe at the expense of recruiting younger hungrier legs ?

What they've done with Bauer is follow the tyical PNE model to the letter, identify and swiftly move for a player mid 20's with good potential and plenty game time behind him, mostly lge 1. Probably for a specific role in the team all for what will turn out to be modest money seeing as there is no fee and he may well do them a good job for 4 years or more even if he doesn't increase in value and get bought. I think for them at this moment it's a very astute signing and as much as it sticks In my craw PNE could well be the next Sheff U in a season or two.

What we continue to look like going off speculation is typical Venky BRFC, not knowing it's arse from it's elbow then diving in scaterr gun later in the window bodies for bodies sake. First rule of thumb invest in what might make money rather than what it can instantly give the team, second rule of thumb just plug gaps with whatever and whatever the cost.  Millions go down the swanny again but it's ok our owners can afford it but all the while it's lumped on what we owe them.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

With Mowbray, Waggott, Cheston and Silvestre in India trying to find out what the plan is and what (if any) money was being made available, who will have being doing the negotiations and when will those have been happening?

Seems more likely to me that Alex Neil sorted his budget some time ago, had his holiday at the end of the season, and has since returned and got down to the serious business of making signings to bed in as quickly as possible.

We are weeks behind as usual. Time people accepted that. Its sometimes the simple things that make the big difference.

You can use the "weeks behind" argument in many contexts, I have complained myself about the trip to Pune, but you can't use it in relation to a player we have 100% being interested in since at least last January. 

He chose Preston over us for either football or monetary reasons. Simple as. Just take it on the chin. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You can use the "weeks behind" argument in many contexts, I have complained myself about the trip to Pune, but you can't use it in relation to a player we have 100% being interested in since at least last January. 

He chose Preston over us for either football or monetary reasons. Simple as. Just take it on the chin. 

or we backed out ourselves, were never really that interested. None of us know how this transfer manifested, including you. It could be many different reasons tbh so you cannot really say as fact that he chose them over us for money or footballing reasons. Did he even have a choice to make? 

• Like 2

I’ll say this on the mighty PNE. We are in disarray and they finished one point above us. There is nothing at Deepdale that is better than us. Ground, facilities, training complex, salary structure and history. 

The only thing they had that we didn’t was the gentleman that was sir Tom Finney but we had Douglas. So for whatever reason Bauer went there it’s isnt because they are or ever will be at our level. That is fact

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

We need more than couple, for starters we need a whole new back line. Only 45 Days until the window shuts and we aren't exactly noted for getting deals done quickly. 

I agree, I'm just saying once we make a few decent signing people won't care. For what it's worth I think we need a keeper, centre half, left back, centre mid and forward. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It isn't that simple. IF he chose Preston over us that sets alarm bells ringing, especially given we've been interested for 12 months now. Sounds like whatever he was hearing from Rovers wasn't good enough whereas Preston have quickly got the job done. Financially I cannot accept players picking PNE ahead of us. Not when we're losing more than double what they are every year.

Just now, Boroblue said:

I’ll say this on the mighty PNE. We are in disarray and they finished one point above us. There is nothing at Deepdale that is better than us. Ground, facilities, training complex, salary structure and history. 

The only thing they had that we didn’t was the gentleman that was sir Tom Finney but we had Douglas. So for whatever reason Bauer went there it’s isnt because they are or ever will be at our level. That is fact

Correct but their manager knows what he has to work with, can make an offer and get stuff done because he has a proper Chairman with power behind him and an owner that can be contacted when needed.

• Like 2

My impression is that we have an agreed budget (whatever Waggot presented to the owners) which will keep the club within the FFP regulations.  

Waggott and Mowbray are trying to spread that budget across 5 or 6 players which means our top tier targets are likely not to be feasible signings as there will be interest from other clubs who can pay a bit more.  Now rather than adjust the policy and spend the budget on signing 2 quality players, we will end up 5 or 6 players that help boost the squad numbers but not necessarily of top quality.

This is just my hypothesis on what is happening and I could be totally wrong.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Maybe, just maybe - we didn't want him anymore. Honestly can't say I'm too fussed.

No problem with that if we go and get a decent alternative at some point soon. If we don't and then we get the gradual lowering of expectations and Mowbray moaning about costs and wages etc. and we end up picking up a loan to fill in on the cheap then it's a big problem.

• Like 2

Sharpe is confirming that Bauer has signed for Preston.

Appalling if it’s true that we were priced out and they weren’t. What day you now Mowbray?

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How can PNE offer him more than us? How can we lose 10 million a year more than them if so?

Because we don't have a under 23 team or academy that costs over 3 million & we don't waste  over 6 million on over rated  player s. We matched the Armstrong bid & wages but he chosen Rovers because he was on loan with you. Some of you lot need to smell the coffee. PNE are a well run club with realistic expectations & don't expect to buy players we can't afford we are not Aston v or Leeds & we no that but the trouble  is most Rovers fans have been brought up with silver spoons in there mouth.

Edited by Bowlandforest

Just now, Kamy100 said:

My impression is that we have an agreed budget (whatever Waggot presented to the owners) which will keep the club within the FFP regulations.  

Waggott and Mowbray are trying to spread that budget across 5 or 6 players which means our top tier targets are likely not to be feasible signings as there will be interest from other clubs who can pay a bit more.  Now rather than adjust the policy and spend the budget on signing 2 quality players we will end up 5 or 6 players that help boost the squad numbers but no necessarily of top quality.

This is just my hypothesis on what is happening and I could be totally wrong.

Mowbray said the opposite. He said he had got the numbers in last summer (filled the squad) and that this summer it was about targeting 3 or 4 experienced players to go straight in the 1st team. 

• Like 4

Just now, Bowlandforest said:

Because we don't have a under 23 team or academy that costs over 3 million & we don't waste  over 6 million on over rated  player s. We match Armstrong bid & wages but he chosen Rovers because he was on loan with you. Some of you lot need to smell the coffee. PNE are a well run club with realistic expectations & don't expect us to buy players we can't afford we are not Aston v or Leeds & we no that the trouble  is most Rovers fans have been brought up with silver spoons in there mouth.

Realistic expectations?

You throw your toys out of the pram every season due to 'Hemmings having no ambition'

• Like 2