BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

My impression is that we have an agreed budget (whatever Waggot presented to the owners) which will keep the club within the FFP regulations.  

Waggott and Mowbray are trying to spread that budget across 5 or 6 players which means our top tier targets are likely not to be feasible signings as there will be interest from other clubs who can pay a bit more.  Now rather than adjust the policy and spend the budget on signing 2 quality players, we will end up 5 or 6 players that help boost the squad numbers but not necessarily of top quality.

This is just my hypothesis on what is happening and I could be totally wrong.

But Mowbray took great delight in telling us he had money left over from the last two windows. If the budget is similar to last seasons does it include the money he didn't spend? If it does then the budget is lower, if it doesn't then it's higher. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would be surprised if they are censoring well articulated criticism. More than likely censoring abusive posts or drivel. They shouldn't censor the drivel though. 

It's the first on the article, which is quoted by someone else a few posts down. Not abusive in the slightest. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

If you can tell us unequivocally the situation regarding Bauer I'd love to hear it.

Failing that, it would probably save you from injury during your mental gymnastics if you just copy/pasted "I don't like Tony Mowbray" instead of winding yourself up.

It's not me who's wound up. I'm not posting childish little comments like 'Sssh Tony bad'. You tend to do that when you're run out of argument. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

It's not me whose wound up. I'm not posting childish little comments like 'Sssh Tony bad'. You tend to do that when you're run out of argument. 

It's hard to form an argument when the people I disagree with are just making stuff up to flesh out an already formed opinion.

I'm saying - if we knew the situation, we could judge it, what happens in the rest of the window will give us the answers.

Until then it's just people crying over hypothetical spilt milk.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray said the opposite. He said he had got the numbers in last summer (filled the squad) and that this summer it was about targeting 3 or 4 experienced players to go straight in the 1st team. 

The things is what Mowbray says and what actually happens are two entirely separate issues.

Regarding Bauer I saw him play once on TV. Knowing we were interested I watched him pretty closely, to be honest he didn't look to be an improvement on Downing or Williams. He was just a Steady Eddie type tall lad filling a slot in the back four. Nothing special either on or off the ball. And that was at a lower level than we are at. The young Arsenal loanee playing along side him that day is twice the player Bauer will ever be.  If I'm wrong I'll hold my hand up next season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

And that for me is were the waters are muddied. Last year, to quote Risdale we 'blew Preston out of the water' with what we offered Armstrong and less than a year on they are reputedly paying more in wages.

It's not just missing out on Bauer that bothers me in particular. I trying to see the bigger picture and my hunch is that Mowbray didn't get anything like he hoped for from his recent soiree to India. The next few weeks will be telling and could well shape up the mid term future of our club.

Yes I tend to agree. Let's face it these owners have previous for leading managers up the garden path only to make them look stupid at the end of it. Lambert was another promised or led to believe by someone that he would get proper backing, gave them time to deliver it and rather than be made a fool of he walked when it became obvious that they were having him on. 

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the goalposts have been moved or money Mowbray expected to materialise has disappeared on the whim of the owners. 

They're capable of anything and don't deserve trust.

• Like 2

It's hard to form an argument when the people I disagree with are just making stuff up to flesh out an already formed opinion.

I'm saying - if we knew the situation, we could judge it, what happens in the rest of the window will give us the answers.

Until then it's just people crying over hypothetical spilt milk.

What stuff is being made up? All we know is we wanted him and he's gone elsewhere. Do you know differently?

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

And that for me is were the waters are muddied. Last year, to quote Risdale we 'blew Preston out of the water' with what we offered Armstrong and less than a year on they are reputedly paying more in wages.

It's not just missing out on Bauer that bothers me in particular. I trying to see the bigger picture and my hunch is that Mowbray didn't get anything like he hoped for from his recent soiree to India. The next few weeks will be telling and could well shape up the mid term future of our club.

I totally agree.

The Raos are not renowned for investing anything in defensive players. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Yes I tend to agree. Let's face it these owners have previous for leading managers up the garden path only to make them look stupid at the end of it. Lambert was another promised or led to believe by someone that he would get proper backing, gave them time to deliver it and rather than be made a fool of he walked when it became obvious that they were having him on. 

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the goalposts have been moved or money Mowbray expected to materialise has disappeared on the whim of the owners. 

They're capable of anything and don't deserve trust.

We've all said it over and over and over again, as long as these " owners "  run the club we're going nowhere in particular. You just can't run a football club on automatic pilot.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The things is what Mowbray says and what actually happens are two entirely separate issues.

Regarding Bauer I saw him play once on TV. Knowing we were interested I watched him pretty closely, to be honest he didn't look to be an improvement on Downing or Williams. He was just a Steady Eddie type tall lad filling a slot in the back four. Nothing special either on or off the ball. And that was at a lower level than we are at. The young Arsenal loanee playing along side him that day is twice the player Bauer will ever be.  If I'm wrong I'll hold my hand up next season.

Which makes you wonder why we wanted him and made a bid last summer?

• Like 1

I'm not concerned that Bauer has gone to another club. I'm sure he is a decent player but don't think he is a world beater.

What does bother me is that Mowbray has said on more than one occasion that his agent was asking £40K - 50K per week and this was a stumbling block.

The fact that he has signed for Preston makes these claims look like total nonsense and therefore makes me suspect Mowbray's honesty - the one quality I had most admired in him up to this point.  

• Like 3

It's the first on the article, which is quoted by someone else a few posts down. Not abusive in the slightest. 

It is difficult to tell if that quote was deleted by the poster or a mod though? He could also have said something else and then being banned. It's not that clear.

They shouldn't be deleting non abusive posts that are just critical though 

What stuff is being made up? All we know is we wanted him and he's gone elsewhere. Do you know differently?

Did we still want him? So we definitely got "beat" to the signing?

I've been off the radar and haven't seen a solid link or verifiable quote recently.

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

I'm not concerned that Bauer has gone to another club. I'm sure he is a decent player but don't think he is a world beater.

What does bother me is that Mowbray has said on more than one occasion that his agent was asking £40K - 50K per week and this was a stumbling block.

The fact that he has signed for Preston makes these claims look like total nonsense and therefore makes me suspect Mowbray's honesty - the one quality I had most admired in him up to this point.  

At last someone's brought up the real issue.

• Like 1

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Mowbray likes to exaggerate massively. He reckons Stoke and Middlesbrough are huge clubs and Bristol City get 30,000 full houses every week. 

If he's telling the owners this sort of stuff and they believe it then we're going nowhere fast.

It was always doubtful that Bauer or his agent were asking for that sort of cash. There's wanting a raise and then there's that. He'll have been on about 5k a week Charlton and will be on double that with PNE. Very hard to take Mowbray seriously when claiming he was demanding 50k a week

• Like 2

Which makes you wonder why we wanted him and made a bid last summer?

What also puzzles me is we weren't the only club interested in him. Several scouts/managers must have seen something I couldn't see in him. Of course one game on TV is no way to judge a player but you can usually see something in their game that stands out.  Maybe Preston have a specific role for him in their way of playing. Maybe Mowbray is still dreaming about three at the back and want's a more creative type of player. From what I saw Bauer is definitely not a ball player.

• Like 1

Did we still want him? So we definitely got "beat" to the signing?

I've been off the radar and haven't seen a solid link or verifiable quote recently.

4 days ago:-

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17708264.rovers-handed-boost-in-chase-for-charlton-defender-bauer/

"Rovers’ quest to add to their defensive ranks has taken a step forward – with Charlton close to admitting defeat in their battle to keep hold of Patrick Bauer.  The German, out of contract at the end of the month, has been a long-term target for Rovers who saw two bids rejected last summer. Bauer, 26, is likely to be one of two central defensive options to arrive this summer"

• Like 3

4 days ago:-

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17708264.rovers-handed-boost-in-chase-for-charlton-defender-bauer/

"Rovers’ quest to add to their defensive ranks has taken a step forward – with Charlton close to admitting defeat in their battle to keep hold of Patrick Bauer.  The German, out of contract at the end of the month, has been a long-term target for Rovers who saw two bids rejected last summer. Bauer, 26, is likely to be one of two central defensive options to arrive this summer"

You and I must read that differently - it says that he didn't want to sign a contract at Charlton and that we bid for him last summer.

It says nothing about an offer from us this time. Is it not possible we weren't in for him?

Just now, JHRover said:

Mowbray likes to exaggerate massively. He reckons Stoke and Middlesbrough are huge clubs and Bristol City get 30,000 full houses every week. 

If he's telling the owners this sort of stuff and they believe it then we're going nowhere fast.

It was always doubtful that Bauer or his agent were asking for that sort of cash. There's wanting a raise and then there's that. He'll have been on about 5k a week Charlton and will be on double that with PNE. Very hard to take Mowbray seriously when claiming he was demanding 50k a week

I've no doubt we're still seen as a soft touch by agents. I bet he went to Preston for less than he was asking us to pay him.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

I would have been far more upset if Pne had signed Hanley....

Mm, yes if the curent Hanley is still the Hanley that left us for Newcastle. I see that he can't displace Mulgrew in the Scotland team. it's too late now but Rochdale had a good young centre back on loan from Wolves at the end of last season. He's just signed for Shrewsbury this season. He had more about him than what I saw of Bauer apart from maybe experience.