BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

And that for me is were the waters are muddied. Last year, to quote Risdale we 'blew Preston out of the water' with what we offered Armstrong and less than a year on they are reputedly paying more in wages.

It's not just missing out on Bauer that bothers me in particular. I trying to see the bigger picture and my hunch is that Mowbray didn't get anything like he hoped for from his recent soiree to India. The next few weeks will be telling and could well shape up the mid term future of our club.

Exactly where i'm at with it i'm actually not over fussed about the player although I think he would've been a good addition to the squad on a free and personally would've taken a punt on him much sooner when it was doable.  They've clearly courted him a long time so must've seen something they liked so again it's the bigger picture at play here, whether that is actually the owners or Mowbray himself changing tack is debatable it's easier to lay everything at their door but they provided funding last year clearly and he shoved the majority of it on Brereton.

Some of his transfer dealings worry me there aren't many full time ones aside from Dack and Armstrong that can actually be described as astute yet although Rothwell may buck the trend.

Just now, Miller11 said:

As I said, I think he’s jumping to conclusions based on the fact Bauer’s contract was up.

I know I had the benefit of hearing it first hand, but he really was very dismissive of the idea of signing Bauer.

I had been wondering myself why Sharpe continued touting him when the message I got from the horses mouth was very much contrary to this.

Cos he has nothing else to write about? 

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The Daily Fail linking us with some bloke called Brandon O’Neill - a defensive CM from Sydney FC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7158951/Blackburn-Rovers-line-350-000-Australia-international-midfielder-Brandon-ONeill.html

Simon Jones was linking us with all sorts last summer. He seems to be the Nixon of the middle England. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look he isn't media trained and smooth like some of these modern managers nowadays. You can see he loves his football and gets excited sometimes when talking and rambles off and exaggerates. If we were all recorded regularly and our words examined , I am sure we would all be guilty of exaggerating or getting facts wrong from time to time. The "lying" narrative some peddle on here is nasty in my opinion. 

Let's just say what Mowbray says and what actually happens can be two different things. He is also far too keen to big up other clubs up whilst talk about us as though we are a small club with no money who are punching above our weight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

And that for me is were the waters are muddied. Last year, to quote Risdale we 'blew Preston out of the water' with what we offered Armstrong and less than a year on they are reputedly paying more in wages.

It's not just missing out on Bauer that bothers me in particular. I trying to see the bigger picture and my hunch is that Mowbray didn't get anything like he hoped for from his recent soiree to India. The next few weeks will be telling and could well shape up the mid term future of our club.

Great point re Armstrong last season. I don’t think there’s any evidence that the budget has been lowered. In fact the CEO stated when he returned that the budget was the same / similar.

Therefore, the natural assumption on this is that this not about money but more about how much both clubs showed they wanted him.

This only becomes bad business if / when we fail to buy any better.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Let's just say what Mowbray says and what actually happens can be two different things. He is also far too keen to big up other clubs up whilst talk about us as though we are a small club with no money who are punching above our weight.

What he says he wants to happen and what actually happens can be different alright, usually with regards to things out of his control like transfers. If he is guilty of anything ,it is covering for the Venkys and their level of support/interest. He was dropping hints before going to India about needing a budget to push on, then the word back was that it will be the same as last summer, which is fine and an improvement on other summers, but I do have a feeling he expected more. 

He does big up other clubs too much at times, I actually think that ultimately worked to our favour in League 1, but he does over do it in the championship I will admit. 

I don't remember him ever saying anything like we are punching above our weight, in fact I recall him saying a number of times that we are a Premier league club.  As for the no money line, well see my first paragraph above. We just don't have the budgets of other teams in the division. A bit more of a level playing field this coming season though. 

We are though....until he suddenly finds 7 million for a Brereton or thousands per week for a Downing.... or generosity to injury prone and non contributors that could free up much needed space on the wage bill.

Welcome to the BRFC transfer merry go round where nothing makes sense.

• Like 3

What he says he wants to happen and what actually happens can be different alright, usually with regards to things out of his control like transfers. If he is guilty of anything ,it is covering for the Venkys and their level of support/interest. He was dropping hints before going to India about needing a budget to push on, then the word back was that it will be the same as last summer, which is fine and an improvement on other summers, but I do have a feeling he expected more. 

He does big up other clubs too much at times, I actually think that ultimately worked to our favour in League 1, but he does over do it in the championship I will admit. 

I don't remember him ever saying anything like we are punching above our weight, in fact I recall him saying a number of times that we are a Premier league club.  As for the no money line, well see my first paragraph above. We just don't have the budgets of other teams in the division. A bit more of a level playing field this coming season though. 

What we spent last summer was considerably more than a lot of clubs in this division. The likes of Reading, Millwall, Brentford, QPR, Bristol City, Hull, Wigan, Preston, the newly promoted clubs etc could only dream of going out and spending what we did last summer and some of those clubs have never spent 6-7 Million whatever it was on a player in their entire history we spent it on a bench warmer.

• Like 3

What we spent last summer was considerably more than a lot of clubs in this division. The likes of Reading, Millwall, Brentford, QPR, Bristol City, Hull, Wigan, Preston, the newly promoted clubs etc could only dream of going out and spending what we did last summer and some of those clubs have never spent 6-7 Million whatever it was on a player in their entire history we spent it on a bench warmer.

Last summer maybe, but in the 5 seasons prior to that I would say all of those clubs bar Wigan and Milwall spent more than us. Mowbray has steadied the ship and got us going in the right direction again. He was playing championship catch up from the minute he walked in the door. We now have a team to get behind again. I will admit I like this team more than any team we have had since being relegated from the Premier league and I wouldn't say I am alone in that regard. 

We spent 5.25 million plus add-ons on an England under 19 international. Personally I would have liked to have seen the money used elsewhere, but it wasn't and that has been discussed enough at this point.  

Last summer maybe, but in the 5 seasons prior to that I would say all of those clubs bar Wigan and Milwall spent more than us. Mowbray has steadied the ship and got us going in the right direction again. He was playing championship catch up from the minute he walked in the door. We now have a team to get behind again. I will admit I like this team more than any team we have had since being relegated from the Premier league and I wouldn't say I am alone in that regard. 

We spent 5.25 million plus add-ons on an England under 19 international. Personally I would have liked to have seen the money used elsewhere, but it wasn't and that has been discussed enough at this point.  

So you've moved the goalposts from 'We just don't have the budgets of other teams in the division' to what has happened in the last 5 years. 

• Like 1

I don't remember him ever saying anything like we are punching above our weight.

Only last week he described Stoke City and Middlesbrough as 'huge clubs' with 'huge support' and that we've to try and compete with them next season.

In my opinion an inappropriate and insulting comment to make in his position as manager of Blackburn Rovers.

Not only factually incorrect but unneccessary and unhelpful.

If he genuinely believes that then I'm not sure he's in the right job. If he's saying it to try and take pressure off his shoulders then I'd rather he stopped talking.

It's one thing bigging up bog standard Championship sides for no reason other than to make life easier for himself. It's another when most of his comments are simply incorrect. Like Bristol City filling their ground every week which they don't. 

The sort of nonsense comments that quickly erode my respect and patience.

By all means play it quiet on talking to the press but don't dare try and put the club down in public or describe some garbage down here as huge clubs. We were far superior to all of them before his bosses turned up.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I saw a down payment of 5 million. The other two million could just be following on next year. Paid in instalments as most fees are, nothing to with add ons.

That could be swallowing up the headroom in this years budget as well.

Just now, JHRover said:

It's one thing bigging up bog standard Championship sides for no reason other than to make life easier for himself. It's another when most of his comments are simply incorrect. Like Bristol City filling their ground every week which they don't.

Bristol City, Brentford and Preston are 3 the teams that he loves to big up the most. 

So you've moved the goalposts from 'We just don't have the budgets of other teams in the division' to what has happened in the last 5 years. 

I haven't moved any goalposts. You named a handful of teams who finished below us.  What about all the clubs who spent more than us? Are you saying that's not the case? We were around mid-table for spending last summer and that is where we finished. 

Sorry, what is your point exactly? 

Just now, JHRover said:

Only last week he described Stoke City and Middlesbrough as 'huge clubs' with 'huge support' and that we've to try and compete with them next season.

In my opinion an inappropriate and insulting comment to make in his position as manager of Blackburn Rovers.

Not only factually incorrect but unneccessary and unhelpful.

If he genuinely believes that then I'm not sure he's in the right job. If he's saying it to try and take pressure off his shoulders then I'd rather he stopped talking.

The sort of nonsense comments that quickly erode my respect and patience.

By all means play it quiet on talking to the press but don't dare try and put the club down in public or describe some garbage down here as huge clubs. We were far superior to all of them before his bosses turned up.

Stoke were in the Premier league for over a decade before playing in the Championship last season. They regularly get crowds of 25,000 plus and they are receiving parachute payments. Why does describing them as a big club in this division surprise/annoy you? 

• Like 1

Stoke were in the Premier league for over a decade before playing in the Championship last season. They regularly get crowds of 25,000 plus and they are receiving parachute payments. Why does describing them as a big club in this division surprise/annoy you? 

Because in comparison to Blackburn Rovers they are not a big club. Never have been and never will be. Describing them as such is negative and defeatist and is getting the excuses in early. 

I'm well aware that they were in the Premier League for a long time. So were we until recently. Bournemouth have been in a while as have Burnley. Would you be comfortable describing them as huge clubs with the inference being that we are inferior?

I'm well aware at present they get more fans than us and have more income than us. That doesn't make them a huge club. 

I'd rather our manager fought our corner and instilled an attitude of us being every bit as big as our rivals rather than providing himself, the owners and players with ready made excuses before a ball is kicked. 

• Like 5

I haven't moved any goalposts. You named a handful of teams who finished below us.  What about all the clubs who spent more than us? Are you saying that's not the case? We were around mid-table for spending last summer and that is where we finished. 

Sorry, what is your point exactly? 

You said we 'We just don't have the budgets of other teams in the division' I just named you 11 teams who I would imagine we can at the very least compete with if not better you can add Birmingham to that list as well to make it 12. Then there are clubs like Derby, Swansea, Sheffield Wednesday who are having to cut their budgets and sell before they buy. So there are 15 teams for you who we should be able to at the very least compete with financially in the transfer market this summer. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Because in comparison to Blackburn Rovers they are not a big club. Never have been and never will be. Describing them as such is negative and defeatist and is getting the excuses in early. 

I'm well aware that they were in the Premier League for a long time. So were we until recently. Bournemouth have been in a while as have Burnley. Would you be comfortable describing them as huge clubs with the inference being that we are inferior?

I'm well aware at present they get more fans than us and have more income than us. That doesn't make them a huge club. 

I'd rather our manager fought our corner and instilled an attitude of us being every bit as big as our rivals rather than providing himself, the owners and players with ready made excuses before a ball is kicked. 

He never said they won more trophies than us. He is talking about financially, which is the name of the game these days. If Bournemouth or Burnley got relegated they would be big clubs in this division

Jesus if he was coming out saying we are a huge club in this division and should be beating everyone, would you honestly think that to be a good strategy at this point? I think the men in the white coats would be down to Brockhall.  

He said he wants us to challenge for promotion this season, so I think that nips any excuses in the bud. He has basically put the pressure on himself and the players. This goes against everything you are claiming. 

• Like 2

You said we 'We just don't have the budgets of other teams in the division' I just named you 11 teams who I would imagine we can at the very least compete with if not better you can add Birmingham to that list as well to make it 12. Then there are clubs like Derby, Swansea, Sheffield Wednesday who are having to cut their budgets and sell before they buy. So there are 15 teams for you who we should be able to at the very least compete with financially in the transfer market this summer. 

Yes, 11-12 teams we would be expecting to finish ahead of. That still only puts us mid-table. 

You are conveniently ignoring the teams who have spent/will spend more. Of the 3 clubs you mention above even, they have all spent big fees on players in the last few seasons, far ,far more than us and it's an absolute cert that their wage budget is bigger than ours. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Funny how we used to compete against and often outdo the likes of Stoke, Boro, Preston and Brentford when we hadn't a pot to piss in and we got 7k on whilst Stoke/WBA/Leics/Boro could often command double figures even back then with fanbases more fickle than our own.

If we are going to be a top ten Championship sides there's plenty of bigger income clubs we have to compete directly with we've done it most of our history so it isn't a free pass in the excuse stakes i'm afraid. It's all about how the team is built and managed and this team spirit we are so big on now.

Astute signings needed please.

• Like 6