BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, tomphil said:

Funny how we used to compete against and often outdo the likes of Stoke, Boro, Preston and Brentford when we hadn't a pot to piss in and we got 7k on whilst Stoke/WBA/Leics/Boro could often command double figures even back then with fanbases more fickle than our own.

If we are going to be a top ten Championship sides there's plenty of bigger income clubs we have to compete directly with we've done it most of our history so it isn't a free pass in the excuse stakes i'm afraid. It's all about how the team is built and managed and this team spirit we are so big on now.

Astute signings needed please.

Different times man. 2 words- parachute payments. Not impossible, but you can't just pretend things are the same as they were 20 years ago. The playing field is becoming less and less level. We got relegated at an awful time financially.

Nevermind the clubs you mention above, it seemed to me like we were competing with the likes of Spurs when we were in the Premier league! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He never said they won more trophies than us. He is talking about financially, which is the name of the game these days. If Bournemouth or Burnley got relegated they would be big clubs in this division

Jesus if he was coming out saying we are a huge club in this division and should be beating everyone, would you honestly think that to be a good strategy at this point? I think the men in the white coats would be down to Brockhall.  

He said he wants us to challenge for promotion this season, so I think that nips any excuses in the bud. He has basically put the pressure on himself and the players. This goes against everything you are claiming. 

It is a fair bet , that if Bournemouth and Burnley lost their respective managers tonight ...Both would probably be relegated next season....Burnley went straight back up with Dyche , not sure that would happen at Bournemouth ....

It will be interesting to see how Huddersfield fair without Wagner ???

Edited by Waggy76

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The Daily Fail linking us with some bloke called Brandon O’Neill - a defensive CM from Sydney FC.

Just like to point out there is a footy site of which gives the accuracy for each paper for each clubs stories, And daily mail are always the most accurate for rovers. So id take their stories in higher regard than any other rag 

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

Yes, 11-12 teams we would be expecting to finish ahead of. That still only puts us mid-table. 

You are conveniently ignoring the teams who have spent/will spend more. Of the 3 clubs you mention above even, they have all spent big fees on players in the last few seasons and it's an absolute cert that their wage budget is bigger than ours. 

We have a good enough budget to be at the very least challenging for top 6, we just need to spend it well. Last year Norwich and Sheffield United both promoted neither side spent big money and both will have been far from the highest wage bills in the division but they had good competitive budgets like us and they spent them very well. The same the year before Cardiff had a modest budget but Warnock knew the league and what type of players to use his budget on. The trouble is with Mowbray is that apart from perhaps with Hibs over 15 years ago he has never over achieved with a club.

• Like 2

Different times man. 2 words- parachute payments. Not impossible, but you can't just pretend things are the same as they were 20 years ago. The playing field is becoming less and less level. We got relegated at an awful time financially.

Nevermind the clubs you mention above, it seemed to me like we were competing with the likes of Spurs when we were in the Premier league! 

And in Prestons  case ? as with most of this division there is no parachutes.  Course it was different times but there was still huge financial barriers like clubs getting 10 to 20 thousand average crowds and keeping all their gate money whilst most others got sub 10k averages, massive difference.

You still had to pay your top players 500 - 1000 per week whilst keeping your others happy on £250-350 or less so not to dissimilar in the grand scheme of things just more noughts but still the same principles as today.

And we are backed by billionaires you know and well within FFP at the moment despite still carrying a far too hefty wage bill which could stand some sensible pruning to allow a good signing or two. Our gaffer doesn't seem to fancy that though for fear of upsetting the lads.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7158951/Blackburn-Rovers-line-350-000-Australia-international-midfielder-Brandon-ONeill.html

Simon Jones was linking us with all sorts last summer. He seems to be the Nixon of the middle England. 

I think we were linked with this guy earlier this year, in march or april if I am not wrong.

Edit: yes we were.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/english-championship-clubs-preparing-to-swoop-for-sydney-fc-star-20190418-p51fdq.html

Edited by Swanson

Just now, AAK said:

Dissapointed in not signing a league one dolloper? Fuck me, hes shit. Who cares. 

Im not dissapointed we didnt sign the guy. I am dissapointed in the fact that we have seemingly chased someone for two transfer windows in a row and were not able to sign him because in my opinion we are to reactive in the transfer market. We could have signed Bauer ages ago but in stead we waited and waited, then we decided to wait until his contract runs out and, out of nowhere, he scores the winning goal in the playoffs. Suddenly all kind of teams chase him, his ego blows up a bit and we tell him to “fight for his place” etc etc. Then he decides to move on to where he prob is guaranteed play time. I think we could have just handled this whole situation smarter and it feels like lost time and effort.

• Like 5

Just now, Heinz said:

Im not dissapointed we didnt sign the guy. I am dissapointed in the fact that we have seemingly chased someone for two transfer windows in a row and were not able to sign him because in my opinion we are to reactive in the transfer market. We could have signed Bauer ages ago but in stead we waited and waited, then we decided to wait until his contract runs out and, out of nowhere, he scores the winning goal in the playoffs. Suddenly all kind of teams chase him, his ego blows up a bit and we tell him to “fight for his place” etc etc. Then he decides to move on to where he prob is guaranteed play time. I think we could have just handled this whole situation smarter and it feels like lost time and effort.

This is it in a nutshell it doesn't really matter what differing opinions we all have of him as a player or potential signing the fact is from the outside it's looked like another long drawn out waste of time.  During that time - 3 windows - some other very good and gettable players have probably changed hands whilst our lot sit on their fingers 'giving these lads a chance' in season and 'waiting for others to make THEIR minds up and get back to us leaving the door open all summer' out of season.

Casual to say the least.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heinz said:

Im glad we didnt, hes crap. Lets not get frustrated about not signing an average player from the third tier, we obviously didnt want him that much. Its crazy, should we have offered him double what pne offered him just to say "hey weve just signed a dolloper cause we can pay more than pne" and then he goes on to be shite?

We probably have a better centre half lined up, it wouldnt be difficult.

• Like 1

£350,000 seems a fair enough price for a player like that with no English league experience. Can hit a dead ball like.

20 minutes ago, Heinz said:

Come on get your facts right, no we couldn’t sign him as Charlton made it clear he wasn’t going anywhere until the end of the season, can’t blame them they wanted promotion.

Then as widely reported TM said his agent bumped up his wages as he was on a free.

Think what Sharp said is probably the truth, that Preston said he would be starting (obviously not guaranteed) and one of the main 2 c/backs, whereas Rovers said he would be 1 of 4 but could well be on the bench, hope TM comes out and clarifies and hope he ends up with a better signing.

Just now, AAK said:

Im glad we didnt, hes crap. Lets not get frustrated about not signing an average player from the third tier, we obviously didnt want him that much. Its crazy, should we have offered him double what pne offered him just to say "hey weve just signed a dolloper cause we can pay more than pne" and then he goes on to be shite?

Lets wait and see how crap he is, if PNE are above us next season with a better defensive record whilst we dollop around with the same faces and a loan or two.

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

I'd be amazed if we're sniffing round A league players, just seems like a silly season rumour. I'd rather take a punt on Bruno Fornaroli if we're going down that route ?

With mowbary in charge 'the amazing' seems possible. (I don't mean that in a good way)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Dissapointed in not signing a league one dolloper? Fuck me, hes shit. Who cares. 

Funny when people say this and I only really pick on your post because it’s so emphatic.

People wouldn’t be saying he was shit if we’d signed him. And a heck of a lot of those “happy” that a long standing target has signed for a local rival would be hammering anyone who said he was.

Surreal place this at times.

Just for balance though, this time last year you rated Bauer at £1.2m. Now he’d be a shit freebie? Has he got worse despite promotion?

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Funny when people say this and I only really pick on your post because it’s so emphatic.

People wouldn’t be saying he was shit if we’d signed him. And a heck of a lot of those “happy” that a long standing target has signed for a local rival would be hammering anyone who said he was.

Surreal place this at times.

Just for balance though, this time last year you rated Bauer at £1.2m. Now he’d be a shit freebie? Has he got worse despite promotion?

Indeed, and I imagine that many of those using this as a stick to beat Mowbray with, would have been underwhelmed had he signed and then used that as a stick to beat Mowbray with instead. 

It’s almost as though people have entrenched views and use every action, inaction, rumour and whatever else as confirmation of those views

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AAK said:

It's academic now, we move on. Hopefully.

Edited by DeeCee

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Lets wait and see how crap he is, if PNE are above us next season with a better defensive record whilst we dollop around with the same faces and a loan or two.

And let’s wait for the start of the season, and see who we have signed before all this none sense on here.

41 minutes ago, unsall said:

Then as widely reported TM said his agent bumped up his wages as he was on a free.

Think what Sharp said is probably the truth, that Preston said he would be starting (obviously not guaranteed) and one of the main 2 c/backs, whereas Rovers said he would be 1 of 4 but could well be on the bench, hope TM comes out and clarifies and hope he ends up with a better signing.

Ok, I've found out that it's not Tony, the guy that is doing the deals is a proper prick apparently.  Not easy to deal with and probably the reason we struggle to sign anyone.

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

£350,000 seems a fair enough price for a player like that with no English league experience. Can hit a dead ball like.

Looks like he can strike them with either foot ...