BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, davulsukur said:

I can't imagine any club just sits and waits until the end of the season and then decides a budget. They must be scouting players, looking at contract situations all the time and these would have to fit into a budget structure of some kind.

Budgets will be impacted on relegation, players sales, player injuries, FFP, it has to be an evolving process. 

Even in our case, i can't imagine we just wait until TM and the gang go over to India to decide a budget. Conversations must have been going on throughout the season.

You are applying good business practice to our owners. Think about that for a moment or two.

• Like 5

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17717367.rovers-boss-on-the-difficulty-of-getting-first-signing-secured/

Completely get what TM is saying but if we again miss out on players of the calibre such as Celina, McGinn and Freeman for the sake of a few grand a week then it will be extremely disappointing. Especially if we then blow it on a 19 year old prospect!

• Like 2

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

My previous post was not meant to be about Bauer but rather more general in that as at early May Alex Neil knew his budget and therefore which of his targets he could start going for.

We are told that the Club is being 'rebuilt' and should, therefore, be judged over X number of years or X number of transfer windows.

It seems to me that we actually have no 'masterplan' if the Club, TM and Waggott have to wait until they go to Pune to find out what the owners mood currently is and what funding will be available. The fact that such meetings appear to be on a yearly basis adds to the problem. No one can plan or run a business on such a basis. It is not a criticism of TM or Waggott apart from the fact that they seem to accept these ruinous working conditions.

There seems a feeling around Preston that they were worried about losing Neil so uncle Trevor has eased the purse strings a bit to help keep him happy. This Bauer signing would back that up although it's in the 15k+ range not the 40 or 50k however rumours of a heft signing on fee that might balance that a bit.  Either way if it's cost them 2 million quid all in it's a decent bit of business I feel, easily covered if he / they have a good season or two.

That may have been a reason they've got they've got down to business early this time around plus he seems a very proactive manager, Mowbray is very much reactive in most situations, a little bit too relaxed perhaps.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17717367.rovers-boss-on-the-difficulty-of-getting-first-signing-secured/

Completely get what TM is saying but if we again miss out on players of the calibre such as Celina, McGinn and Freeman for the sake of a few grand a week then it will be extremely disappointing. Especially if we then blow it on a 19 year old prospect!

Or on a short term 35 year old old pal, there's no wisdom in that either.

• Like 2

I would guess that Celina and McGinn could be on more than our top earners. Celina came from City and Villa fought off interest from Celtic for McGinn. QPR didn't want top sell Freeman, so it wasn't a case of us missing out on him for a "few grand". 

Of course what he is saying there is logical and makes sense. 14 teams in the division have yet to make a signing. You would think we were the only ones going off the comments here :) 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would guess that Celina and McGinn could be on more than our top earners. Celina came from City and Villa fought off interest from Celtic for McGinn. QPR didn't want top sell Freeman, so it wasn't a case of us missing out on him for a "few grand". 

Of course what he is saying there is logical and makes sense. 14 teams in the division have yet to make a signing. You would think we were the only ones going off the comments here :) 

He talked a fair bit of missing out on players because they’d gone elsewhere for £5k more. Pretty sure it was in reference to a couple of those. Freeman may have not been for that reason but for the other two it likely was a big factor.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

He talked a fair bit of missing out on players because they’d gone elsewhere for £5k more. Pretty sure it was in reference to at least a couple of those players. Freeman may have not been for that reason but the other two likely was a big factor.

Where did he say players went elsewhere for £5k per week more? 

1 hour ago, Biz said:

You may be right in some ways, but they’ve nowhere near the funding or facilities we have.

The quotes of their chairman online last summer, about the Armstrong transfer and us “blowing them out the water” would point me to think that anyone we wanted “as much” as Preston, we’d get before them.

Read Neil's mments this summer. With him agreeing to a new contract came extra funding. As he himself said PNE are operating at a different level now. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This summer is a carbon copy of last. Same excuses from Mowbray, same knock-backs from players. 

• Like 4

Dack rumors were inevitable. 

I reckon we probably will lose him this summer. Mowbray has said in the past that it sometimes takes selling the prized asset in order to build the team. 

As others have already pointed out, this never happens with Venkys in charge.

I reckon we probably will lose him this summer. Mowbray has said in the past that it sometimes takes selling the prized asset in order to build the team. 

Mowbray has hardly helped the situation. If he doesn't want to lose his best players and doesn't want rumours to start perhaps he shouldn't spend his time in India talking about selling him. 

• Like 1

Yup, if we got 18 million for Dack, who would be confident of it all being put back into the team? Probably get given 5 million and told to find another hidden gem or two.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nor has it actually happened :) 

Yet.....

Why would you approach players and hold talks with them if you didn't want to sign them ?  That didn't happen with Bauer, allegedl. It has happened with Downing, go figure.... ?

Just now, JHRover said:

Mowbray has hardly helped the situation. If he doesn't want to lose his best players and doesn't want rumours to start perhaps he shouldn't spend his time in India talking about selling him. 

Because that is where the blame lies for agents and tabloid newspapers making stories up. If Mowbray didn't say anything, there would be nothing about Dack 100% guaranteed 

Just now, tomphil said:

Yet.....

Why would you approach players and hold talks with them if you didn't want to sign them ?  That didn't happen with Bauer, allegedl. It has happened with Downing, go figure.... ?

It hasn't happened and we have no idea how much he would be on if it does, but its definitely to blame for us not signing palyers :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It hasn't happened and we have no idea how much he would be on if it does, but its definitely to blame for us not signing palyers :) 

Yes you're correct if he's saving cash from his budget to direct into this which would likely cost a million quid for one season and that's accounting for him taking a ten grand per week drop in wages..... ?

I suspect the only thing holding this up is waiting for the player himself to be released from his Boro contract end of June and seeing what else he might be offered.

Mind you if we sign two good defenders and a striker Stuart is welcome... ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Could do with some positive news today, my Chow passed away a couple of hours ago. I know its just a dog but its never nice to be woken by a harrowing yelp/cry and then seeing your buddy of 10 years lieing on the floor with blood coming from his mouth. One final yelp of pain within 20 seconds of getting there and he was gone.

Then of course I have the missus and kids all crying their eyes out.

Come on TM - give me something to take my mind off.

Sad to read about your dog. R.I.P. Its never easy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No, sometimes he really doesn't help himself. Perhaps he did it to try and entice bids because he believes he will get more money to invest but the reality is, he won't. 

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yup, if we got 18 million for Dack, who would be confident of it all being put back into the team? Probably get given 5 million and told to find another hidden gem or two.

£5m is optimistic to say the least.

I suppose the important distinction is whether the £5k extra would have put them on more than our highest earner, or whether it was just £5k extra we refused to pay out of principle.  If we wouldn't pay McGinn ,for example, £5k more, but still within our wage structure, that would be a bad call, if it broke the wage structure and that was why we wouldn't pay it, well then it's a different conversation.  

Maybe Mowbray is sugar coating it as well is saying players decisions just came down to others paying more money. Lets just say all things were equal in terms of offers from us, Villa and Celtic. Where would you put us on that list in terms of attractiveness to a player? 

Fair to say McGinn would have moved to Villa (playoff finalists the year before) over us that just came up from L1 even if we did stump up the extra. My issue is that it was clear McGinn was a top target quite early on for us, and our whole slowness throughout a summer what with trips to India with hands out meant that we were unable to get it done quickly before Villa came sniffing around.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Fair to say McGinn would have moved to Villa (playoff finalists the year before) over us that just came up from L1 even if we did stump up the extra. My issue is that it was clear McGinn was a top target quite early on for us, and our whole slowness throughout a summer what with trips to India with hands out meant that we were unable to get it done quickly before Villa came sniffing around.

Who knows? Players have plenty of time to weigh up their options. They ain't in no rush to jump at any offers early on. Why would they be