BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Anyone else get the feeling that a Downing or a Frank Fielding May be a done deal but TM doesn’t want that too be announced as our first signing when we are at a time where season ticket sales are horrendous and the club are trying too shift more? Could be the case. EDIT: Just seen on Twitter that Downing’s odds of joining us have gone in from 7/4 too 1/5. Someone knows something! 

Edited by Butty

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who knows? Players have plenty of time to weigh up their options. They ain't in no rush to jump at any offers early on. Why would they be 

We don't know for sure no, but the way we do things surely doesn't help at all. 

• Like 1

A commanding central defender is my essential.

One or two other defenders great to have.

Anything else a bonus for the simple reason of the extent of talent coming through from the youth set-up.

As an established Championship side, we should be a more attractive proposition than last summer.

If Dack/Lenihan go, I hope they go early in the window.

• Like 1

July will be crazy I reckon. The concern for us is the later players sign, the less likely it is that they will start.... That combined with our tough start does concern me. 

We cannot and should not start the first game with a defence containing both or even one of Bennett and Mulgrew. 

If we have 10 million to spend again this summer, just spend 5-6 million of it on a top class Championship centre half. It's absolutely crucial. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How do you work out we have a good enough budget to challenge for the top 6 when at least 6 teams have bigger budgets than us? By my rough estimate 9 will have more to spend for sure. Then we will have around the same budget as  6-10 other clubs. 

Because as I explained but you appear to have missed (deliberately?). Our budget is competitive for this League and as side's like Norwich, Cardiff and Sheffield United have shown over the last few season you don't need the biggest budget to go up, they had competitive budgets (like us) but certainly not the biggest but they used their budget to recruit well.

Tables aren't decided by budgets (otherwise Mowbray would have had us top of League 1 at canter) they are decided by what you spend your budget on and our budget if last summer is anything to go by is competitive for the division and if used well should have us competing for top 6.  

• Like 2

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Because as I explained but you appear to have missed (deliberately?). Our budget is competitive for this League and as side's like Norwich, Cardiff and Sheffield United have shown over the last few season you don't need the biggest budget to go up, they had competitive budgets (like us) but certainly not the biggest but they used their budget to recruit well.

Tables aren't decided by budgets (otherwise Mowbray would have had us top of League 1 at canter) they are decided by what you spend your budget on and our budget if last summer is anything to go by is competitive for the division and if used well should have us competing for top 6.  

With a "competitive" budget we can be competitive, like we were last year, barring the horrific run. Of course there are teams who go up without spending the most, but if you look at the top 6 every season, more often than not the teams in it have spent more than those out of it. Last season those in it , spend as much if not more than we did. The majority spent a lot more. Small margins in this league and going off where we were when Mowbray took over, he is improving things. 

Going off your last paragraph so seeing as "tables aren't decided by budgets"  , couldn't the argument be made that Mowbray did a great job coming top 2? You know, we weren't familiar with the league and budgets are irrelevant so....

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

July will be crazy I reckon. The concern for us is the later players sign, the less likely it is that they will start.... That combined with our tough start does concern me. 

We cannot and should not start the first game with a defence containing both or even one of Bennett and Mulgrew. 

If we have 10 million to spend again this summer, just spend 5-6 million of it on a top class Championship centre half. It's absolutely crucial

We shouldn't be starting with Elliott Bennett on the pitch but he is more certain to be starting (if fit) than anybody else.

59 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I suppose the important distinction is whether the £5k extra would have put them on more than our highest earner, or whether it was just £5k extra we refused to pay out of principle.  If we wouldn't pay McGinn ,for example, £5k more, but still within our wage structure, that would be a bad call, if it broke the wage structure and that was why we wouldn't pay it, well then it's a different conversation.  

Maybe Mowbray is sugar coating it as well is saying players decisions just came down to others paying more money. Lets just say all things were equal in terms of offers from us, Villa and Celtic. Where would you put us on that list in terms of attractiveness to a player? 

55 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Fair to say McGinn would have moved to Villa (playoff finalists the year before) over us that just came up from L1 even if we did stump up the extra. My issue is that it was clear McGinn was a top target quite early on for us, and our whole slowness throughout a summer what with trips to India with hands out meant that we were unable to get it done quickly before Villa came sniffing around.

We never even went in for McGinn because in Mowbray's on words he 'didn’t really see central midfield as somewhere where we needed to spend a lot of money'.   A bad decision in my opinion.

Had we been in for McGinn we could have got him before Villa were even an option as it wasn't until the end of July when new owners came in that they had any money to spend.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

We shouldn't be starting with Elliott Bennett on the pitch but he is more certain to be starting (if fit) than anybody else.

We never even went in for McGinn because in Mowbray's on words he 'didn’t really see central midfield as somewhere where we needed to spend a lot of money'.                   A bad decision in my opinion.

Had we been in for McGinn we could have got him before Villa were even an option as it wasn't until the end of July when new owners came in that they had any money to spend.

We did, Waggot pretty much confirmed it when he did the press cindmference in India. You'll be able to see it somewhere. 

Edited by Neal

We never even went in for McGinn because in Mowbray's on words he 'didn’t really see central midfield as somewhere where we needed to spend a lot of money'.   A bad decision in my opinion.

We were definitely in for McGinn, I think Waggott or Mowbray even said something along the lines of "the lad that went to Villa" 

Just now, Neal said:

Got to say I wasn't too keen when I heard Hanley being mentioned but for the type of defender we need, considering our budget... He's probably the best we could do. 

I'm a bit vary because he's a bit too similar to Lenihan. Erratic, agressive - likes to be the first defender to challenge for the ball. Both will often be on yellow cards, but will probably also instill a bit of fear in opponent's strikers. Would like to see a commanding figure alongside Lenihan, but one with a cooler head than Hanley...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Butty said:

Anyone else get the feeling that a Downing or a Frank Fielding May be a done deal but TM doesn’t want that too be announced as our first signing when we are at a time where season ticket sales are horrendous and the club are trying too shift more? Could be the case. EDIT: Just seen on Twitter that Downing’s odds of joining us have gone in from 7/4 too 1/5. Someone knows something! 

If that's the case, then no one at the club can possibly say it's a signing worth making. 

If he's that shit, they have to delay it just to try and get more sales done, then he ain't worth signing at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Fair to say McGinn would have moved to Villa (playoff finalists the year before) over us that just came up from L1 even if we did stump up the extra. My issue is that it was clear McGinn was a top target quite early on for us, and our whole slowness throughout a summer what with trips to India with hands out meant that we were unable to get it done quickly before Villa came sniffing around.

Completely get that. Agreed - McGinn would have joined Villa over us. Celina to Swansea, not so sure. Like you I just feel that the V's p!ssing about makes it nigh on impossible for us to strike early on targets. Seems a bit frustrating all round at the moment; I hope I'm proved wrong but can foresee another disappointing window with this lot at the helm.

• Like 1

Just now, Torgeir said:

I'm a bit vary because he's a bit too similar to Lenihan. Erratic, agressive - likes to be the first defender to challenge for the ball. Both will often be on yellow cards, but will probably also instill a bit of fear in opponent's strikers. Would like to see a commanding figure alongside Lenihan, but one with a cooler head than Hanley...

Van Dijk it is then... 

Just now, Torgeir said:

Sorry mate, I can't believe you wouldn't slot hanley into our defence after watching that total shambles last season.  Seriously, Williams in particular was and is feckin rubbish and if he starts the season I'm putting money on us being relegated.  

Hanley is a top of the championship defender and is probably the only one who can see past the idiots that are waggot et al. We are struggling to sell the club to potential signings.

• Like 2

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Completely get that. Agreed - McGinn would have joined Villa over us. Celina to Swansea, not so sure. Like you I just feel that the V's p!ssing about makes it nigh on impossible for us to strike early on targets. Seems a bit frustrating all round at the moment; I hope I'm proved wrong but can foresee another disappointing window with this lot at the helm.

What else is new ?

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Sorry mate, I can't believe you wouldn't slot hanley into our defence after watching that total shambles last season.  Seriously, Williams in particular was and is feckin rubbish and if he starts the season I'm putting money on us being relegated.  

Hanley is a top of the championship defender and is probably the only one who can see past the idiots that are waggot et al. We are struggling to sell the club to potential signings.

He was one of our better performers when he moved to centre half near the end of the season. Mulgrew was far worse at centre half.  That being said, I hope we have a starting 11 replacement for both of them come day 1 and I would be happy with Hanley. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was one of our better performers when he moved to centre half near the end of the season.

Doesn't make up for his abysmal showing for the last 2 years and Mulgrew has had to cover for him for 2 seasons, no wonder he's knackered. 

Williams is not good enough for league 1.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we got offered 15 million for Dack I would take it. Rothwell to play in the Dack role, Chapman and Armstrong out wide. Use that money along with what we have, to bring in 2 centre halves, 1 being Hanley, a winger, a striker and a right back. 

Because Venky's would allow that?

• Like 1