BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Took the words out of my mouth ... The only player we have of "playing it out from the back" is the one who is universally thought of as past it and a weak link ... give me defenders who can defend please , if they can play a bit that's a bonus

Just read that we haven't won on the opening day of the season since 2010/11 season. That's a couple of months or so before Venkys bought us. I don't reckon that's entirely a coincidence. It's likely at least partly down to the shambolic transfer approach we've had over these years under them. From signing utter dross due to agents, to repeated slow starts to windows thanks to needing to fly to India to get the budget finalised. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

This silly new fashionable idea of “playing it out from the back” is ridiculous. We (and many other teams) try it and all that ends up happening is we knock it around the back four for a dozen pointless passes, invite pressure, knock it back to Raya, who boots it out for a throw-in in their half. We need defenders who can defend first and foremost.

Yeah, my phrase for it is " Pass it around until we lose it " football.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

How did that happen? I have a lab, hate to feel what u are feeling now

Bemused mate, dont wanna derail a thread with personal stuff but was just sudden death - was normal the day before, cleaned his plate as always, shat healthily as always, mood was the same as always. My wife got up a couple hours before to go to toilet and said he was fine as well, normal, tail wagging, following her around. More I look into it, seems its a stroke, heart attack, anuerysom or something like that which is sudden. I could potentially find out for sure but will cost an arm and a leg for an autopsy which would both not guarantee finding cause of death or bring him back.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Bemused mate, dont wanna derail a thread with personal stuff but was just sudden death - was normal the day before, cleaned his plate as always, shat healthily as always, mood was the same as always. My wife got up a couple hours before to go to toilet and said he was fine as well, normal, tail wagging, following her around. More I look into it, seems its a stroke, heart attack, anuerysom or something like that which is sudden. I could potentially find out for sure but will cost an arm and a leg for an autopsy which would both not guarantee finding cause of death or bring him back.

Dont pay - any dog in pain or knowing the clock is running out will avoid its owners, their pack mentality means they move away from the group so not to be a hindrance. Sounds like yours went quickly and without too much stress. Dont wait too long before getting another. RIP!

• Like 2

Just now, J*B said:

Dont pay - any dog in pain or knowing the clock is running out will avoid its owners, their pack mentality means they move away from the group so not to be a hindrance. Sounds like yours went quickly and without too much stress. Dont wait too long before getting another. RIP!

We are, she wants one like now. Me, Id rather wait a bit but if it makes her and the kids feel better - go for it.

Anyway - back to footy.

Hanley 6 mil? Half that id consider. You should be able to get two solid Cbs for 3 mil each in this league. Hanley is decent and the ugly beast we need but wouldnt 6 million tempt Millwall for their lad at the back?

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

This silly new fashionable idea of “playing it out from the back” is ridiculous. We (and many other teams) try it and all that ends up happening is we knock it around the back four for a dozen pointless passes, invite pressure, knock it back to Raya, who boots it out for a throw-in in their half. We need defenders who can defend first and foremost.

That's exactly what possession based game means for average sides at this level, knock it slowly side ways and backwards to keep hold of it and try and draw the opposition out then hoof it over the top.  It's mostly what we've already seen from Mowbray over the past few years and same as the mind numbing stuff under Bowyer.

Another common theme in this approach is ?  Yes that's right two deep sitting defensive mids, in short it'll mean nothing has changed at all.  Seems in chasing Downing and the other oldies we've been linked to he's looking for someone to deliver the killer balls forwards to open it up a bit.  Not sure that'll be enough i'm afraid.

Just now, tomphil said:

That's exactly what possession based game means for average sides at this level, knock it slowly side ways and backwards to keep hold of it and try and draw the opposition out then hoof it over the top.  It's mostly what we've already seen from Mowbray over the past few years and same as the mind numbing stuff under Bowyer.

Another common theme in this approach is ?  Yes that's right two deep sitting defensive mids, in short it'll mean nothing has changed at all.  Seems in chasing Downing and the other oldies we've been linked to he's looking for someone to deliver the killer balls forwards to open it up a bit.  Not sure that'll be enough i'm afraid.

Yep, I always say to my son "  We'd do better if they put the goals up at the sides of the pitch instead of the ends ".

I was watching the American womens team earlier. They know how to attack, they're full of running and they're always looking to move the ball forward quickly. The ball never stops moving and they use the full width of the pitch with one winger right out on the whitewash at all times. When they lose possession they really chase the ball down. It's like watching another game to the way we play.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yep, I always say to my son "  We'd do better if they put the goals up at the sides of the pitch instead of the ends ".

I was watching the American womens team earlier. They know how to attack, they're full of running and they're always looking to move the ball forward quickly. The ball never stops moving and they use the full width of the pitch with one winger right out on the whitewash at all times. When they lose possession they really chase the ball down. It's like watching another game to the way we play.

We've played the same way since GB or should I say since Evans & Lowe first got pitched together but Evans is the common theme in it all.  Manager after manager at Ewood seem to play a style to accommodate certain players it's mind numbing at times.  We had Reed last season a proper midfielder and Travis looking like a young understandably raw potential midfield dynamo and it was shaken up a bit at times and worked well on occasion.  A revert to type was always bubbling under the surface though, so frustrating i'd love us to move away from that altogether.

Never against a 442 two banks of four when needs must though but that's a rigid formation not the staggered one we have.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sorry mate, I can't believe you wouldn't slot hanley into our defence after watching that total shambles last season.  Seriously, Williams in particular was and is feckin rubbish and if he starts the season I'm putting money on us being relegated.  

Hanley is a top of the championship defender and is probably the only one who can see past the idiots that are waggot et al. We are struggling to sell the club to potential signings.

I never said I wouldn't, I just have some concerns that I posted earlier and believe he will be an expensive signing and that money can be spent on a better fit for us.

Hanley is a top of the Championship squad player.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Sorry for your death

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So apparently the Downing deal is close

Do supporters of other clubs act so negatively straight off the bat about a free transfer, or is just our fans? 

I could understand it if the window closed tomorrow....

Not fond of your own fans are you?

Apologies if I am repeating old stuff but I did go back a few pages to check. If we can get 18. Million for Dack soon I would take it. He is done a great job for us but like the stock market and houses sell high and buy low. We then have a real chance to buy three players who could make a difference in key positions.

My fear is that if we don’t let him go he will get all unnecessary which will affect his form. One mans opinion. https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/they-have-to-let-him-go-blackburn-face-decision-over-in-demand-star-opinion/

• Like 1

Shows how little people understand our club. They all say we'd get money to improve our squad and improve our spending power. We'd get some of any transfer fee minus whatever Venkys decide to bank, and whatever they were prepared to give Mowbray without the sale of Dack would go back into their coffers too.  Any small amount left over would be what the manager had to spend. Selling Dack would give us no extra transfer kitty at all. That's not to say it won't or shouldn't happen, just that for us there is no sugar coating the bitter pill of selling one of our better players

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do supporters of other clubs act so negatively straight off the bat about a free transfer, or is just our fans? 

You should take a leaf out of @Mattyblue's book and visit some other club's forums, you'd be amazed at how well-mannered and balanced (in addition to well-organised) this is in comparison to most.

And to answer the question directly - yes, fans of every club will always give their honest opinion on potential signings, and whether they're in favour or not of the deal (if it's the latter, it doesn't mean they don't want them to succeed). It'd be strange if only Rovers fans out of the entire football world did that.

• Like 2

I do think people need to relax a bit.

Look how many deals are going through at the minute, not just in the championship but across the country.

Its holiday season for both footballers and agents. Yes I realise mobile phones exist etc but in terms of getting actual deals signed sealed and delivered you're going to have to wait patiently - it's not that long till July now.

LT reporting: 

"Up to 5 signings" and hope to keep 'star men'

Gk, upto 2 CB, cm and striker.

TM quote:

Some of those might be free transfers, some might be loans, and some players that we might look to buy, polish them up, and then sell on.

“We might also have players in the building who can make an impact for us next season.”

If that last part is referring to players we already have, like Ben B, Chapman and under 23s then there is clearly bugger all budget.  

It looks like a vintage venky window!

*Also, where does Downing the winger fit into the spine of the team? 

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

LT reporting: 

TM quote:

Some of those might be free transfers, some might be loans, and some players that we might look to buy, polish them up, and then sell on.

“We might also have players in the building who can make an impact for us next season.”

If that last part is referring to players we already have, like Ben B, Chapman and under 23s then there is clearly bugger all budget.  

Half that article is about Canada in the CONCAF - why we do we care? Our keeper has been on the bench the whole tournament anyway. 

LT reporting: 

TM quote:

You saved me a copy and paste job?.

What hope is there for the future when the manager comes out with that particularly about selling players on. I'm beginning to think the India trip was a one sided affair with Mowbray being told what his brief is.

We won't get an loans from PL clubs until after the transfer window because they will be away with their clubs.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the whole situation.

• Like 1

LT reporting: 

TM quote:

That indicates that there isn't much to spend. 

Free transfers, loans and any signings would be younger players who would need time but we looking to make a profit on. (I appreciate we are always looking to make a profit on players)