BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I reckon Villa will be in for him if they don't go up and have to sell Grealish. It will be a top Championship club . Premier league isn't happening for him this summer, absolutely not. 

Agreed, not without a sustained run of eye-catching form from now to season's end, at least. If he reverts to his more recent form again I think we will keep him, as we would value him more than other clubs.

If he does somewhere in between though we could spend the summer worrying about top-end Champs clubs coming in.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I reckon Villa will be in for him if they don't go up and have to sell Grealish. It will be a top Championship club . Premier league isn't happening for him this summer, absolutely not. 

Even if they don't go up I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Grealish will be on his way.

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even if they don't go up I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Grealish will be on his way.

Two of my mates support villa and they are pretty sure he will be on his way if they don't go up. Even if they don't need the money because of selling land near the ground, he himself will probably want to play in the premier league. I think this season was him doing villa a bit of a turn 

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

As for the Smallwood / Evans axis it has now become Willowe or Lowev far too much for my liking and with Travis emerging it would be a Trav-esty to waste his talent in favour of those two every week.  Only solution is remove the temptation and get shut of one of them so revert to type isn't an option anymore.

I think you're probably right with this. Even though he's likely to want a crack at the Prem, we should be doing all we can to get Reed on board permanently. Ideally to play alongside Travis. 

If availability and/or finance prohibits us, I'd like to see us go in for Will Vaulks. Looks a good player at this level and most likely an upgrade on Smallwood & Evans. Plus you'd imagine he'd be available for a reasonable fee, especially if Rotherham were to go down. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I think you're probably right with this. Even though he's likely to want a crack at the Prem, we should be doing all we can to get Reed on board permanently. Ideally to play alongside Travis. 

If availability and/or finance prohibits us, I'd like to see us go in for Will Vaulks. Looks a good player at this level and most likely an upgrade on Smallwood & Evans. Plus you'd imagine he'd be available for a reasonable fee, especially if Rotherham were to go down. 

I'd certainly have a punt at getting him back on loan even if it's for half a season then see how the land lies in Jan but we need to finish the season strong and with him involved so as to tempt him back.

Trouble is TM seems to see everyone he signs these days as back up whether it be loan or perm and I reckon Reeds sussed that now so that won't be appealing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverKyle said:

I’d take Vaulks. Definite upgrade on them two, and if they’d take Smallwood back as part of the deal then even better. I’ve also always been a fan of Jon Taylor for them too, small pacey tricky winger in the Chapman mould. Again wouldn’t be too costly.... John Marquis has been mentioned on here a few times, the Doncaster striker. He’s scored a lot of goals for them over the last few years, can play the Graham role well too so I wouldn’t mind him. The only position I’m struggling too find a good option is left back, it’s a position we need to strengthen for sure. Bell is poor defensively and shits himself whenever he crosses the half way line.. The thing is if we had a Farke or a Wagner in charge, they’d bring in some German unknown who would turn out too be unreal. Big summer ahead for TM..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Don Said said:

I hope we don't give up on Reed, and I hope TM is being shrewd by underplaying the situation. Southampton may want to look at him but every player has a price.

If he's affordable, without stopping us from signing the other key positions, it's an absolute no brainer.

The lad is good and is only going to get better. We also know that he fits in to our team which is half of the dilemma solved.

Likelihood is we'd either be rewarded by years of having the type of central midfielder every team needs, or we'd recoup the fee we pay with a tidy profit on top.

Sign him up.

REEEEEDY!

I would love to see him signed up and starting every week in his favoured CM position.

Not going to happen is it?

I think that's why he bought Bell then sadly realised he didn't have the centre defenders good enough to carry it off, and that was league 1 !

Bizarrely he chose not to invest in those positions in summer despite stepping up a level with almost the same defence that went down.  Hindsight is one thing but planning is kind of expected in management.

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd say Bell is at his best when attacking from wide. He's a wing back not a full back. Tony ain't got a clue.

There are certainly flashes of good attacking play from him, but how many times does he get the ball and slow the play down and look scared to have a run? There are times when he beats a man and gets down the line but there are so many times where he does what I’ve previously mentioned. I’d keep him as a back up left back but we definitely need an improvement on him and surely there’s someone out there?! 

• Like 1

Just throwing out some names:

Patrick Bauer (FREE) CB

Grant Hanley (Norwich) CB

Efe Ambrose (FREE) RB/CB

Leighton Baines (FREE) LB

Giorgos Kyriakopoulos (Asteras Tripolis, Greece) LB

James Justin (Luton) LB

Joe Aribo (FREE) CM

Harrison Reed (Southampton) CM

Nick Powell (FREE) CM

Neskens Kabano (FREE) RW

Gwion Edwards (Ipswich Town) RW

Jake Hastie (Motherwell) RW

Lucas Joao (Sheff Wed) ST

Sam Cosgrove (Aberdeen) ST

Charlie Austin (Southampton) ST

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd say Bell is at his best when attacking from wide. He's a wing back not a full back. Tony ain't got a clue.

I'd say Bell would be at his best for us, playing for another club.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think that's why he bought Bell then sadly realised he didn't have the centre defenders good enough to carry it off, and that was league 1 !

Bizarrely he chose not to invest in those positions in summer despite stepping up a level with almost the same defence that went down.  Hindsight is one thing but planning is kind of expected in management.

The only thing is that TM genuinely thinks Mulgrew and Williams are good enough. He wouldn't have given Mulgrew a long extension, and he wouldn't have persisted with Williams without that opinion.

I think when Mowbray draws up the plan for next season hes likely to work from the basis of Lenihan and Mulgrew as his starting centre backs - with Williams and a new signing or one of our loaned out players on the  bench (I think Rodwell is likely to go).

If we do that I really fear for us next season as Mulgrew is such a huge liability. One of the core tenants of Mowbrays philosophy is to respect seniority and heirachy. If Mulgrews still at the club (and especially if he's club captain) Mowbray will be loathe to drop him on a permanent basis. Same as Bennett, Williams and Conway he will try to fit him in somehow.

Only way out is for us to sell him. But I doubt anyone will want him, as hes on a new contract till 2021. Maybe Celtic could be persuaded to take him back? He'd be great in the Scottish league . I don't think Mowbray will actually want to sell though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Just throwing out some names:

Patrick Bauer (FREE) CB

Grant Hanley (Norwich) CB

Efe Ambrose (FREE) RB/CB

Leighton Baines (FREE) LB

Giorgos Kyriakopoulos (Asteras Tripolis, Greece) LB

James Justin (Luton) LB

Joe Aribo (FREE) CM

Harrison Reed (Southampton) CM

Nick Powell (FREE) CM

Neskens Kabano (FREE) RW

Gwion Edwards (Ipswich Town) RW

Jake Hastie (Motherwell) RW

Lucas Joao (Sheff Wed) ST

Sam Cosgrove (Aberdeen) ST

Charlie Austin (Southampton) ST

Ambrose and Hanley can be crossed off right away ?

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

The only thing is that TM genuinely thinks Mulgrew and Williams are good enough. He wouldn't have given Mulgrew a long extension, and he wouldn't have persisted with Williams without that opinion.

I think when Mowbray draws up the plan for next season hes likely to work from the basis of Lenihan and Mulgrew as his starting centre backs - with Williams and a new signing or one of our loaned out players on the  bench (I think Rodwell is likely to go).

If we do that I really fear for us next season as Mulgrew is such a huge liability. One of the core tenants of Mowbrays philosophy is to respect seniority and heirachy. If Mulgrews still at the club (and especially if he's club captain) Mowbray will be loathe to drop him on a permanent basis. Same as Bennett, Williams and Conway he will try to fit him in somehow.

Only way out is for us to sell him. But I doubt anyone will want him, as hes on a new contract till 2021. Maybe Celtic could be persuaded to take him back? He'd be great in the Scottish league . I don't think Mowbray will actually want to sell though.

Agree and nobody will give Mulgrew the wages he's on here at his age, I do think if he was free and wasn't after silly money there'd be a few interested parties because he'd be a good addition to plenty squads in the Championship.  As a main man though his defensive frailties have been too evident this season and his lack of leadership on the pitch and body language at times is pathetic but at the end of the day he just isn't that kind of player and you can only be yourself he isn't going to change now. He'd probably be alright again for a few months early doors next season after a summers rest but i'd also be saying to him look son it's club or country now if you want to stay here.

As you've pointed out though the situation Mowbray has created with his pecking order we are stuck in catch 22. To bring better in than some of them wouldn't be that difficult nor expensive if the desire was really there but to bench Bennett, Williams, Conway, Evans, Mulgrew etc IS expensive so it won't be happening.

Just now, tomphil said:

Agree and nobody will give Mulgrew the wages he's on here at his age, I do think if he was free and wasn't after silly money there'd be a few interested parties because he'd be a good addition to plenty squads in the Championship.  As a main man though his defensive frailties have been too evident this season and his lack of leadership on the pitch and body language at times is pathetic but at the end of the day he just isn't that kind of player and you can only be yourself he isn't going to change now. He'd probably be alright again for a few months early doors next season after a summers rest but i'd also be saying to him look son it's club or country now if you want to stay here.

As you've pointed out though the situation Mowbray has created with his pecking order we are stuck in catch 22. To bring better in than some of them wouldn't be that difficult nor expensive if the desire was really there but to bench Bennett, Williams, Conway, Evans, Mulgrew etc IS expensive so it won't be happening.

Indeed and if we don't move them on AND we do bring in the players Mowbray promises, who will be the ones to lose out next year? Yep, the under 23s. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Indeed and if we don't move them on AND we do bring in the players Mowbray promises, who will be the ones to lose out next year? Yep, the under 23s. 

That's a frightening thought so I don't envy his task this summer because he's going to have to upset a few of those in their comfort zone although I don't want to see him using any of his budget to start paying players off again just to get rid.

Proper catch 22 if they want to move it forwards but of course the easy option is leave it as it is and hope to finish midtable again and keep involving the youngsters a bit more.I think that'll be the option they'll favour behind closed doors but it's a hard sell to the fans but the owners will back it if he punts on Dack for a good profit and gives them some blather about their 7 million investment being ready to step in so save your money we are well covered in that area.... ?

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Ambrose and Hanley can be crossed off right away ?

The same Hanley that won player of the season the last time he was here? And was second in a similar award at Norwich last season behind James Maddison? Would be a massive upgrade.

Joe Aribo would be a superb signing but I doubt it would be realistic with much bigger teams sniffing around.

• Like 1

I went to the Rochdale V Sunderland game last Saturday. A very good pal of mine is a Sunderland fan and he got tickets, so him and his wife visited us for the weekend. . It was a pretty turgid sort of game, bags of effort but not a lot of skill on show. The one player that was head and shoulders above all the rest was that Dylan McGeoch who Rovers tried to sign last close season.  What a good little player, a poor man's Tugay in the way he was always available for the pass and was always looking to spread the play. He was a shining light for Sunderland. He was for them what I thought Danny Murphy might have been for us. Rochdale had a good centre back who's on loan from Wolves, a big guy with a double barrelled name, he looked very capable although he was playing on the right hand side of a back three.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Dont believe that McGeogh has been a regular there.

Aswell as Aribo and Hanley if possible I would like to see us look at Reece James currently on loan at Wigan from Chelsea if it was realistic especially after how loaning Palmer went. Top player. And maybe Bidwell whose contract is expiring at left back.

Watching the Brum v Sheff U game last night and seeing the size and physique of some of them lot spread across both teams it's easy to understand why we've often struggled this season particularly at the back.

Something else that really needs addressing as I thought we were a bit small and lightweight even last season.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Aswell as Aribo and Hanley if possible I would like to see us look at Reece James currently on loan at Wigan from Chelsea if it was realistic especially after how loaning Palmer went. Top player. And maybe Bidwell whose contract is expiring at left back.

Think Reece James might be a little pie in the sky

But Jake Bidwell ticks a lot of boxes: 

-He's originally from Southport so might fancy a move back up North.

- He's out of contract in the summer

- He's over 24 (or whatever the limit for compensation is)

-He shares an agent with a couple of our recent signings (Brereton and Chapman)

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That's what my pal said, he's not first choice when everybody is fit. Having said that he was really outstanding on Saturday in a rough and tumble game. Wether he could do it at our level I wouldn't like to say. I could see why we were looking at him though.