BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

42 minutes ago, Neal said:

Didn't realise the Gallagher link was being reported by SSN has to be sonething in it. 

I would be seriously pissed if we signed Gallagher, Brereton should be given the opportunity to play in the position he is accustomed to not the bloody wing, if Mowbray is contemplating  this transfer then i am definitely losing faith in the guy.  

• Like 2

Whilst I'd welcome the Gallagher signing on the right deal in the absence of nothing else happening and I think we could stand a Raya sale for good money IF there is a proper replacement my god going into the season without any defensive reinforcements would be bonkers.

Downing not replaced (yet), long term target who most expected to come in as a first team player/challenger/back up or whatever missed then prospect of maybe Raya sold an the Canadian standing in won't be covered up by getting in the other Downing and Gallagher.  It would see a weak defensive pool even weaker, crazy crazy stuff so if that's the thinking i'll have little sympathy for the dogs abuse that will follow a bad start to the season.

If someone like Coyle pulled that there'd be many questions asked so I hope Tony has his eye on a good keeper and at least 1 defender right to the point he has them primed and ready to come.

• Backroom
Just now, EgyptianPete said:

I would be seriously pissed if we signed Gallagher, Brereton should be given the opportunity to play in the position he is accustomed to not the bloody wing, if Mowbray is contemplating  this transfer then i am definitely losing faith in the guy.  

Gallagher might end up on the wing as well tbf.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Gallagher (if it happens) with Brereton just off him will probably be our front two on the opening day of the 20/21 season.

Dack sold then presumably?

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Gallagher (if it happens) with Brereton just off him will probably be our front two on the opening day of the 20/21 season.

Seen as we don’t play with two up top I highly doubt that, Mowbray will probably stuck Gallagher on the wing like he did with Brereton most of the time. :( EDIT: Sorry just realised you put 20/21 season. Ignore me :lol: 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, EgyptianPete said:

So downing a waste of a wage again god knows what goes through Mowbrays mind, defence man defence

I am assuming Downing is being brought in for a more central role. It seriously wouldn't surprise me if Gallagher came in to play on the wing with Brereton as his backup, despite neither actually being wide players.

As for downing S  signing I bet there was little if any planning for that they most likely just heard he'd become available and he had the right contacts, Mowbray liked him decided he could find a use for him, it was doable if he got the ok for the wages so they went for it.

Whether it was at the expense of pursuing other targets for more urgent needs who knows yet but what a fecker if it was !

Not really seeing the point of having Graham, Gallagher and Brereton. 3 players for one role seems overkill when we only have 2 CBs.

We will see what transpires but I cannot see him costing less than 4-5m and that's too rich for me.

wish we were being linked to some defenders.

• Like 1

Sorry to sound like nicko setting up a random deal out of the blue as a near certainty then making more mileage on it when "Shock horror" it doesn't happen but according to my friend who knows Hanley, he isn't coming back.

I know not why but I'd be surprised if we were in the same ball park as him re: potential wages.

Yet another dead end and more time wasted.

56 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

I'd be very worried if Brereton is anywhere near our first team in any position. 

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

Didn't Gallagher get stuck out on the wing last time he was here? Can't remember who the manager was.

Coyle signed him and then got sacked. Mogga took over.

Not sure where Coyle played him but seems like the kind of thing Mowbray would do to play him out wide.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Didn't Gallagher get stuck out on the wing last time he was here? Can't remember who the manager was.

Yeah I think you are right. Seem to remeber the last match against Brentford we played Mulgrew as a left back pinging cross field balls to Gallagher at the right wing. He dominated the full back in the air. Probably more suited to the wing than Brereton, but needs to be Grahams understudy.  Gallagher is quite mobile, good pace and decent in the air infront of the goal. Doesn't have Grahams know how as a target man, but more potential in that role than Brereton. Would be a decent buy IMO. 

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry to sound like nicko setting up a random deal out of the blue as a near certainty then making more mileage on it when "Shock horror" it doesn't happen but according to my friend who knows Hanley, he isn't coming back.

I know not why but I'd be surprised if we were in the same ball park as him re: potential wages.

Yet another dead end and more time wasted.

I don't think much time was spent on him tbh... 

6 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Fraserkirky   

If your looking for a marquee signing then John McGinn from Hibs is the man. He is leaving Hibs probably for the championship. Price tag of 5m. 23 year old Scottish international. Brilliant centre midfielder

——————————————————-

I mentioned John McGinn on this forum a full three months before he signed for Villa. If Tony is needing any help with the scouting department he can shoot me a PM.

Man United could do a lot worse than spend 50m on him. 

They probably will !

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

One thing that people imply with Gallagher is how he was hamstrung under Coyle, I'm not sure I fully agree with that theory as whilst obviously Coyle is a terrible manager, it was more often than not defensively where he was found wanting. Indeed, he often played in a 4-4-2 with Graham in the first half of that season, and if not with Emnes. You could argue that Mowbray's style was even less suited to him, with one striker and Gallagher often wide, a position he cannot perform in effectively, and I'm sure he scored most of his goals under Coyle.

That season he spent here was by far his best to date, and it wasnt that good. In the last 2 years he has spent key years of his development, firstly in a very underwhelming, barren year at Birmingham, followed by a year of him back at Southampton not playing at all, with a serious injury added into the package.

You look at his style of play and I don't think it at all fits into the style Mowbray has mentioned. He was rather ungainly and at times clumsy, you cant imagine the likes of Dack and Rothwell playing one twos off him. 

You also then ask further questions of the Brereton deal. In essence, we'd have spent over 10m on 2 strikers neither of which youd expect to start to the season. Thats in no way a luxury we can afford with the deficiencies we have further back. We play one striker with Dack just off them, we would have beside Graham, we would have Gallagher and Brereton both needing game time, Samuel who for some reason Mowbray rates, Nuttall and Armstrong competing for one place.

And obviously, theres the matter of splurging presumably a huge chunk of our budget on a striker when our defence is so bad.

He's definitely a better player than Brereton, Samuel or Nuttall at this moment in time, and hes far from the worst striker I've ever seen. But for me, I dont particularly rate him, and spending so much off our budget on him would be a terrible decision in my opinion.

10/10, exactly my views also.

• Like 1