BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

As far as I know he was in talks with the Club last Monday but like Bauer, it's another signing that hasn't happened.

Ah OK. For it to get as far as talks is an interesting one because surely there would have been some sort of rough financial agreement in place for talks to take place... Perhaps the manager didn't like what he saw/heard. 

• Backroom

Still strange to me that our first major signing, with a fee included, is going to be for a striker when we already have Graham, Brereton, Armstrong, Samuel and Nuttall who can play in that position. Granted of that lot I'd only trust Graham to be any good regularly, and Tony probably sees all except Graham as wingers anyway, but still. I'd be much happier if we were talking about getting a goalkeeper or defender. Instead our first two signings are going to be attacking players, even though our problem last season was not scoring goals, but rather leaking them at the other end.

• Like 2

Gallagher in and Nuttall out would be a positive step in my opinion. It would  be an improvement. 

I'll be on the whole pleased if we get him in on a permanent quickly. Get him up to speed and ready for regular games.

The crux then from an attacking point of view is going to be keeping Dack and protecting Graham.

Then focus our energies on defence and midfield where more serious work needs to be done.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Just now, DE. said:

Still strange to me that our first major signing, with a fee included, is going to be for a striker when we already have Graham, Brereton, Armstrong, Samuel and Nuttall who can play in that position. Granted of that lot I'd only trust Graham to be any good regularly, and Tony probably sees all except Graham as wingers anyway, but still. I'd be much happier if we were talking about getting a goalkeeper or defender. Instead our first two signings are going to be attacking players, even though our problem last season was not scoring goals, but rather leaking them at the other end.

I would be happy with Gallagher if we get two defenders. GK and a centre mid is a nice to have, I think we could do okay with Raya and the centre mids we have although I wouldn't say no to an upgrade obviously. But at least one centre back, at least one full back and and a legitimate alternative to Graham is an absolute requirement. If we don't manage that we've really messed up the window.

Frustrating that the one person we have signed, Downing, seems a total luxury.

Edited by joey_big_nose

• Backroom
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I would be happy with Gallagher if we get two defenders. GK and a centre mid is a nice to have, I think we could do okay with Raya and the centre mids we have although I wouldn't say no to an upgrade obviously. But at least one centre back, at least one full back and and a legitimate alternative to Graham is an absolute requirement. If we don't manage that we've really messed up the window.

Frustrating that the one person we have signed, Downing, seems a total luxury.

If we make those signings then signing Gallagher won't be an issue (although like Downing I still question the necessity), but until we do I'll be nervous.

Just now, JHRover said:

Gallagher in and Nuttall out would be a positive step in my opinion. It would  be an improvement. 

I'll be on the whole pleased if we get him in on a permanent quickly. Get him up to speed and ready for regular games.

The crux then from an attacking point of view is going to be keeping Dack and protecting Graham.

Then focus our energies on defence and midfield where more serious work needs to be done.

In the interests of equality, Gallagher in and Brereton out would be an improvement.

• Like 2

• J*B featured this topic
Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

I've said it before, but selling Raya this summer will be one we regret massively for a long time.

People state he is not Brad Friedel, true, but hes also not Jake Kean, Jason Steele, Simon Eastwood, Jayson Luitwiler or Gregorz Sandomierski... ie our goalkeeping history (without Raya) over the past 7 years.

Frightening.

And Sandomierski is the best (or at least most successful) out of that bunch! Sooner have him than Leutwiler.

Let’s face it though, we've all said, or most of us have, that we need better than Raya. The only disappointment is that we are keeping (excuse the pun) the wrong one as reserve.

If we sell Raya, we will be no better off as the replacement won’t have any competition either. We’ll still need another new keepers.

If any of this is true then it just reinforces the fact that Mowbray doesn’t like having an unhappy bench. Personally I think a bench should be a pretty miserable place, unless the first XI are winning every game.

It’s just the silly season rumour mill. Although I’d be equally annoyed if we end up giving him a new deal and selling it to fans that it’s something other than papering over the cracks.

No matter what happens, we need a new first team keeper and a new number two. Upgrading Raya could answer one of those without selling him.

Leutwiler was brought to the club to make up the numbers and sit on the bench every week, and given his previous clubs i suspect he's on peanuts compared to most goalkeepers these days.

Happy days all around then. Happy to sit on the bench without causing any aggro and happy to take his salary which will still be a considerable increase on what Shrewsbury were paying him. I'm not criticizing Leutwiler for that, nor am i questioning his professionalism. 

No surprises that we're happy to hand him another season. Boxes off the worry of a back-up keeper being needed without upsetting any apple carts or adding more to the wage bill.

Of course if we really want to get anywhere we need to be doing better but it seems the focus here is more on financial concerns and avoiding bringing in anyone who 'might' upset the camaraderie.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

In the interests of equality, Gallagher in and Brereton out would be an improvement.

Nuttall and Samuel will never be good enough too play championship football regularly, probably not even league one. If Brereton hadn’t cost 7 million i’d Be saying the same on him.

5 hours ago, Neal said:

On Gallagher... He surely can't be costing more than a couple of mill. He hasn't really done anything since his season with us. 

It is footballs silly period where a guy who can do 10 kick-ups is worth billions. 5m is nothing to them, these days. Oh the irony of it all, Jack's club bitching over pennies. 

Even if we do get him cheap (Brereton cost 7m ?) there will be serious add ons. 

5 hours ago, Butty said:

Nuttall and Samuel will never be good enough too play championship football regularly, probably not even league one. If Brereton hadn’t cost 7 million i’d Be saying the same on him.

How much we paid for him is irrelevant.

10 hours ago, briansol said:

Yeah I think you are right. Seem to remeber the last match against Brentford we played Mulgrew as a left back pinging cross field balls to Gallagher at the right wing. He dominated the full back in the air. Probably more suited to the wing than Brereton, but needs to be Grahams understudy.  Gallagher is quite mobile, good pace and decent in the air infront of the goal. Doesn't have Grahams know how as a target man, but more potential in that role than Brereton. Would be a decent buy IMO. 

Mowbray did use Gallagher in the way you describe although we played a back three and Mulgrew played long diagonal balls.

But doesn't this way of playing conflict with Mowbrays wanting to play a more passing game?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray did use Gallagher in the way you describe although we played a back three and Mulgrew played long diagonal balls.

But doesn't this way of playing conflict with Mowbrays wanting to play a more passing game?

Yes you are right, I don't think Gallagher is being brought back as winger. Our "new" passing game would mean less reliant on a target man, and I think someone like Gallagher would be seen as a more mobile option to lead the line. Knowing how Mowbray likes his players to cover several position, I would also expect to see him deployed on the right wing as well at times. I know he was deployed as winger at times in his Birmingham spell too.

Just now, billingtonrover said:

If we could sign a goalkeeper that could actually take crosses coming into the box, then maybe we aren't desperate for a "big ugly centre half" !

Just a thought.......

It's becoming clear that this is Mowbray's way of thinking. Not sure if I'm on board with it or not in truth. Saying that I actually wouldn't be too upset if Raya left and we got a more commanding keeper in to replace him. He's a great shot stopper but I don't think he inspires confidence from his defence. 

The thinking is baffling though, whether we upgrade Raya or not, we still need a big imposing centre half to partner Lenihan.

Williams I thought did ok there at the end of last season, but he is not a long term option there.

• Like 1

I suppose any discussions about Raya leaving need to be informed by what the actual fee is. If he is leaving for £2 million , thats bad. If it is closer to £4 or £5 million well I think it's a good deal. I liked Raya, good shot stopper, but I do think he had a big part to play in the defensive shambles last season. Not the only culprit, or arguably not the biggest. I definitely wouldn't put him in the same category of Dack or Lenihan and if it raises much needed funds for other areas, I can see the merit. 

anyone have any idea what the fee is? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Firstly I have to point out that I respect others opinions on this forum and I have not despite some suggestion slated members off on a persistent basis.

Secondly, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes at Ewood than anyone on here will ever know and on that basis TM and co SHOULD be given due credit and that includes Waggott who IMo has done ever so well after what’s gone before in the past 8 years or so.

Thirdly, it’s all fair and well being critical however some of it borders on rancid persistent rubbish and speculation, it’s this bit that bores the pants off readers on this forum and when one highlights this they are instantly set about!

Fourthly, discussion is all fair and well, but for it to be a progressive conversation or exchange of views, there has to be some element or basis of truth BUtT the fact remains, in particular to this thread, there hasn’t been one shred of evidence to back up the speculative theories!

There have been some wonderful contributors in these forums over the year but who no longer participate and that’s a shame. Whether they are barred, banned, suspended or whatever, the fact remains they are no longer here because of the abuse dished out. 

If there is any business being conducted at Rovers then I would suggest waiting for the club to announce it before over reacting to social media outburst and the daily fail news!

Other than that have a great Sunday, 3 weeks u TIL a day out at Ibrox???

Well said 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I suppose any discussions about Raya leaving need to be informed by what the actual fee is. If he is leaving for £2 million , thats bad. If it is closer to £4 or £5 million well I think it's a good deal. I liked Raya, good shot stopper, but I do think he had a big part to play in the defensive shambles last season. Not the only culprit, or arguably not the biggest I definitely wouldn't put him in the same category of Dack or Lenihan and if it raises much needed funds for other areas, I can see the merit. 

anyone have any idea what the fee is? 

Brentford aren't the types to pay top dollar usually but to be fair the Venkies, they usually don't sell unless its top dollar bids coming in.