BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

Yea, also in a league where we paid the most, had the best facilities and favourites to go up.

I wonder why business was easier?

Maybe so, but you can't expect people to be placated by the old "judge at the end of the window" mantra. Fool me once shame on you, fool me sixteen or so times shame on me.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Maybe so, but you can't expect people to be placated by the old "judge at the end of the window" mantra. Fool me once shame on you, fool me sixteen or so times shame on me.

I think it’s better to just react to the signings and then the first team come august.

The previous summers to 17 seemed mainly just hoping the better players stayed. Regardless of the platitudes of the LET

8 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I don't for one minute think we should sign Charlie Adam, and I am not in favour of signing older players because they are free. I was simply posting a team that made up of successful older signings. 

So.... How much did Brereton cost again? 

When is Maddison finally going to sign?

Can't believe we didn't seal the Bauer deal. 

Not sure how those 3 names are relevant to the likes of Charlie Adam but one thing is for sure by the time they've hypothetically paid wages of short term deals for Downing, Adam, Whittingham and whoever else over a season or two they could've bought a bit of younger quality instead.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

I think it’s better to just react to the signings and then the first team come august.

The previous summers to 17 seemed mainly just hoping the better players stayed. Regardless of the platitudes of the LET

I agree there is no point in panicking now, but I can't blame people for being pessimistic either. Based on past history (including our two most recent transfer windows) it's logical to assume we are going to be underwhelmed by the time the window shuts. If not then it'll be a pleasant surprise. 

We obviously can ‘compete with Bristol City’ who have spent £8 million on the back of a £12 million windfall.

We spent £7million on ‘potential’ on the back of selling nobody.

Wrong priorities does not equate to no money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

While the names being linked at present are not very inspiring, the time to judge is at the end of the window.

As of yesterday there had been 47 transfer (including freebies and loans) and 7 teams who not done any deals yet.  I suspect things will really ramp up now that teams are back in pre-season training.  We do not have the money to compete with teams like even Bristol City who can spend £8 million on a defender, on top of signing players like Da Silva (from Chelsea) and Bentley (from Brentford).  I think what is happening is that the market is inflated at the moment so teams like Rovers are waiting and trying to get some sort of value for money as market usually does calm down (in terms of money demanded) as the deadline approaches as teams have to shift players to peruse their targets that they have.

That said, I was excited by the names being mentioned in May as it seemed we were taking a different approach but now we are being linked with the same type of player that we have been over the last 2 years which is a bit disappointing given the investment in scouting structures.

The Bristol City comparison ignores the fact that the majority of their business has been low cost and sensible spending, often funded by selling their players and sensibly reinvesting the proceeds. Example being Bobby Reid to Cardiff.

To suggest they are financially in another league to us isn't really right. As Waggott has confirmed our wage bill is competitive in this league and we had a net spend of £10 million last summer without selling anyone. 

If we went down their route and sold players for big money then we could spend similar amounts, but we all know deep down that when the sales come here the cash will disappear as it has in the past and we won't use the cash to strengthen.

The Newsquest papers like the LT, Bolton News Etc know feck all.

Marc Iles (Bolton local hack) was tweeting on Sunday morning that Luca Connell was going nowhere for the foreseeable, this was AFTER his move had already been announced on the Celtic website.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Miller11 said:

They also made guarantees and promises of improving the defence and making signings which would go straight in to improve it. They have quickly backtracked on this since they were summoned to Venky HQ.

Time will tell if they have backtracked I suppose 

17 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sunderland were playing in a different league from the one we had, they should also have went up easily, I wouldn’t want their manager either. Giving kudos for mowbray getting us out a poor league one is one of the reasons we are in the position that we are. Your comment about watching football is petty and irrelevant, debate like a sensible adult not a child mate 

They were paying in the same league and the fact is they didn't go up. 

"Giving kudos to mowbray for getting out of a poor league one is one of the reasons we are in the position that we are" 

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read on here and that is some achievement. Ridiculous on many, many levels. 

Not really big news, but I know Ben Gladwin was meant to turn up for a mortgage meeting way down south today in Reading, and never showed up. The fact that hes down in Reading having that done would say to me hes more than likely out the door. (Hopefully!)

Although he didnt show up for it haha

Edited by ruggles1995

Just now, ruggles1995 said:

Not really big news, but I know Ben Gladwin was meant to turn up for a mortgage meeting way down south today in Reading, and never showed up. The fact that hes down in Reading having that done would say to me hes more than likely out the door. (Hopefully!)

Although he didnt show up for it haha

How on earth would you know that? lol

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

It's getting bad, rovers tweeting last summers signings......I think they are trying to claim Davenport as a new signing 

In all fairness, he wasn't available for most of the season. So he will be like a new signing for us.