BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

New signings aren’t just a numbers game. We need to sign players who can improve the first team.

You are right.  Let’s start with a big bruising central defender and a left back.  The rest will be ok when they realise we can defend.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You've just fallen for it. Was we not paying him then?

I haven't fallen for anything. I'm capable of having an opinion on something before the club, the LET or other posters try and impose their idea/opinion on to me. 

IMO Davenport and Chapman will both be in and around our starting eleven next season, despite not seeing much game time last season. You've got to factor that in when you consider our recruitment this summer. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Do you think you might be part of the problem?

You're all over this mb like a rash - a bad one.

Alright old timer. Thanks for the contribution. 

Not sure if there is such a thing as a good rash, but you know more than I do about that 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Ethan Pinnock, a very good centre back is going to Barnsley. Another potentially good signing going elsewhere.

And all these "negative/moaning" accusations are what stops conversation, not anything else.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

And Bidwell has joined Swansea, would have been a very good and free addition to a problematic position, as it is I suspect we will go into the season with the hopeless Amarii Bell a nailed on starter.

Hasn't Pinnock been at Barnsley for a year or 2? Don't know anything about his quality to be fair. 

Bidwell's another one I only really know by name if I'm being honest. I think Bell improving was one of the missed stories of the final few months of last season, so I don't think left back is as much of a problem as I would've done last January. That said he's still not great, wouldn't be against brining in a replacement if one was available.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I still struggle to accept that the gap between mathematically confirming safety and Mowbray flying to India with no idea as to his budget isnt a hindrance in terms of being proactive earlier in the market.

This is the crux of it. The argument from those that refuse to criticise the club will be that other clubs haven't done a lot of business.

Well that's alright then. 

Nothing to be concerned about and everything is great because some other clubs haven't signed many players yet either.

We had a 2 month window between March and May to get everything sorted in time to hit the ground running yet here we are in July with 1 free agent in the building and a weaker squad than last season. 

Mowbray's talk of better players, European scouting, new defenders and getting them in ready for pre season all haven't happened. Is that because of 'the market' or because of our owners? 

The Davenport one is just to remind people he's here to try and deflect from a lack of incomings this summer. Either way there's no evidence he's good enough for what we need. I hope he is but a dozen games at relegated Burton more than a year ago doesn't prove anything.

• Like 2

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hasn't Pinnock been at Barnsley for a year or 2? Don't know anything about his quality to be fair. 

Bidwell's another one I only really know by name if I'm being honest. I think Bell improving was one of the missed stories of the final few months of last season, so I don't think left back is as much of a problem as I would've done last January. That said he's still not great, wouldn't be against brining in a replacement if one was available.

Pinnock joining Brentford 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The poster said Davenport will be like a new signing, which is a completely reasonable statement. Within seconds he was rounded on by 2 of the usual suspects. Discussion is becoming totally shut down here due to the same posters moaning over and over again about the same things, along with literally anything to do with the club. It's boring and I can only imagine not inviting for new posters. 

I do think Davenport will be fresh blood and hopefully a positive effect on the squad from last year so I disagree with the 2 usual suspects. But rounded on?  Lol.  Give over.

That's a similar overreaction as the bandwagon comment I quoted someone on yesterday.

It's comments like that that give the impression that people who are unhappy with Mowbray are unreasonable bullies who aggressively shut down conversation. No. They just voice their opinions which some posters, and the club, probably don't like to hear.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

34 posts by you yesterday - every one of them adding nothing to the thread.

According to the Dermatology Society, exanthems are treatable by refraining from posting unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Please see your own doctor if the condition worsens. 

Top right, 'Ignored Users', enter selection with fluid. One administration will sooth the source of irritation. Please see your own Doctor if the urge to be a miserable **** persists.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

34 posts by you yesterday - every one of them adding nothing to the thread.

According to the Dermatology Society, exanthems are treatable by refraining from posting unless you have something worthwhile to say.

Please see your own doctor if the condition worsens. 

Thank's for the stats on my posts. Not so sure on the opinion piece mind. 

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I do think Davenport will be fresh blood and hopefully a positive effect on the squad from last year so I disagree with the 2 usual suspects. But rounded on?  Lol.  Give over.

That's a similar overreaction as the bandwagon comment I quoted someone on yesterday.

It's comments like that that give the impression that people who are unhappy with Mowbray are unreasonable bullies who aggressively shut down conversation. No. They just voice their opinions which some posters, and the club, probably don't like to hear.

He was rounded on. All he said was Davenport will be like a new signing. First post sarcastically said "Thanks Tony" , the next one said that he had been fooled. Both were within minutes of his post. 

I am glad to see though that considerably more posters have since backed up his view that he will indeed be like a new signing. 

So Leicester rejected a £70 million bid from United for Maguire. Football getting crazier by the day. 

Also, do any of you follow Mulgrew on Instagram? he posted a video yesterday of him coming 2nd in the parents race at his kids sports day. 2nd to......Paul Gallagher ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Yeah, was apparently the better half of the impressive partnership with Lindsay that has seen him get a move to Stoke with Barnsley having the best defensive record in League 1 last year.

QPR had to move two or three on, Bidwell included, with Les Ferdinand admitting that they need to cut back, but hes a consistent Championship left back.

Id have to strongly disagree on Bell. Seeing him live in all home games and some away, I didnt notice the improvement, hes still a major weakness for me. Allows crosses to come in with regularity, and gets a nose bleed well before using his pace to get into a crossing position. Even with him, we only have one left back with Williams a centre back and Hart nowhere near up to the standard.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is the crux of it. The argument from those that refuse to criticise the club will be that other clubs haven't done a lot of business.

Well that's alright then. 

Nothing to be concerned about and everything is great because some other clubs haven't signed many players yet either.

We had a 2 month window between March and May to get everything sorted in time to hit the ground running yet here we are in July with 1 free agent in the building and a weaker squad than last season. 

Mowbray's talk of better players, European scouting, new defenders and getting them in ready for pre season all haven't happened. Is that because of 'the market' or because of our owners? 

The Davenport one is just to remind people he's here to try and deflect from a lack of incomings this summer. Either way there's no evidence he's good enough for what we need. I hope he is but a dozen games at relegated Burton more than a year ago doesn't prove anything.

Absolutely. It undoubtedly is a hindrance, and a needless one. The likes of Bauer, Barbet, Lindsay, Bidwell and Pinnock would have all improved our defence but have all gone to rivals, so other teams are now getting busy.

It just screams of a lack of proactivity and initiative throughout. We had the same soundbites for months last month, the waiting game. Totally agree on the damp squib that has been our new european network. All seemingly hot air.

Davenport will be a bonus but we need more than that to replace Reed. Samuels the confusing one, hes absolute shite yet people have mentioned him coming back as if its a good thing.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yeah, was apparently the better half of the impressive partnership with Lindsay that has seen him get a move to Stoke with Barnsley having the best defensive record in League 1 last year.

QPR had to move two or three on, Bidwell included, with Les Ferdinand admitting that they need to cut back, but hes a consistent Championship left back.

Id have to strongly disagree on Bell. Seeing him live in all home games and some away, I didnt notice the improvement, hes still a major weakness for me. Allows crosses to come in with regularity, and gets a nose bleed well before using his pace to get into a crossing position. Even with him, we only have one left back with Williams a centre back and Hart nowhere near up to the standard.

Just looked on his wiki, the boy is the same height as Samba, so could well have been what we needed!

The Bell you describe is exactly what I saw at the start of the season. Personally, I thought that he was getting tighter to his man and was travelling with the ball well in the final few months (agree that his crossing still isn't good enough). In any case, if Bidwell was a clear upgrade then we should have been all over that on a free.

Reed a big loss. Great for us once TM realised he could play.

As for "moaners" the manager made clear statements even before last season about how poor we  were at defending and how new faces were needed. Defenders were the priority.

Nothing so far to even indicate that he will fulfil the assurances he made.

Therefore people are disappointed and saying so. I realise the Window isn't closed but he didn't fix this problem a year ago and we look like having to score 3 again to win a game on too many occasions.And we'll concede late ones as well, the whole League knows to step up the pressure late on whatever the score.

Edited by 47er
typo
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Forget Bidwell, Rovers should pick up Haitam Aleesami on a free.  His contract just expired with Palermo. Has a good pedigree with Palermo in Serie A/B and regular for the Norwegian national team. Modern left back that can defend and attack. 27 years and wages within our structure. Doubt the scouting team are aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitam_Aleesami

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, 47er said:

Reed a big loss. Great for us once TM realised he could play.

As for "moaners" the manager made clear statements even before last season about how poor we  were at defending and how new faces were needed. Defenders were the priority.

Nothing so far to even indicate that he will fulfil the assurances he made.

Therefore people are disappointed and saying so. I realise the Window isn't closed but he didn't fix this problem a year ago and we look like having to score 3 again to win a game on too many occasions.And we'll concede late ones as well, the whole League knows to step up the pressure late on whatever the score.

Fans moaned on here all last summer that "we have no money to spend", it turned out we did. Don't  @ me about how it was spent, that is a separate issue. My point remains. 

Now it's about not signing players and as you say yourself, the window isn't closed! 

Mowbray was interviewed in Austria today and said that he is looking forward to new signings joining up with the group as it brings out everyones competitiveness.  So like we are going to sign players, there is no doubt about that. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Think this thread does need to get back on track to be honest. 

Wonder if DJ’s promotion to the first team could lead to a few more younger lads going out on loan now he has more of Mowbray’s ear?

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fans moaned on here all last summer that "we have no money to spend", it turned out we did. Don't  @ me about how it was spent, that is a separate issue. My point remains. 

Now it's about not signing players and as you say yourself, the window isn't closed! 

Mowbray was interviewed in Austria today and said that he is looking forward to new signings joining up with the group as it brings out everyones competitiveness.  So like we are going to sign players, there is no doubt about that. 

No, the window hasn't closed. However its not compulsory to leave signings to the last minute, just de rigeur for us.!

Isn't it better for new players to train with and get to know their team-mates weeks before the season starts? The manager needs to assess them in training as well, perhaps this is why new signings seem to have to wait so long for selection.

Just now, 47er said:

No, the window hasn't closed. However its not compulsory to leave signings to the last minute, just de rigeur for us.!

Isn't it better for new players to train with and get to know their team-mates weeks before the season starts? The manager needs to assess them in training as well, perhaps this is why new signings seem to have to wait so long for selection.

Ya, ideally the earlier the better, but the reality is players are weighing up their option now and many are holding off to see if better offers come in. The decision then is do we wait and hope one of our top targets picks us , or do we move down the list. We could still miss out on the top targets even if we do wait though, which is what I suspect happened last summer. 

I think waiting til late in the window is de rigeur for most clubs. I suspect it could be even worse this year with the window closing earlier. I think the first week in August will be pandemonium. Hopefully we will have our business done by then. Do I think we will? No. As long as we have the center half in by then, that will be good enough for me , because as you rightly say, the manger isn't one for playing lads without looking at them in training a lot.