BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, briansol said:

Some fact about the relegation in 16/17 and Mowbray:

- Mowbray took the helm in February 22, with a squad inherited from Coyle and a closed transfer window. We had 29 points from 31 games at that time. Under Mowbray we took 22 points from remaining 15 games averaging 1.5 point pr game which would equal a 69 point total over a whole season. I struggle to see which "decent" manager who could do much better.

- I don't think Mowbray is perfect. He is far too loyal against the current players, conservative in the transfer market. But he has brought stability to the club, a squad that wants to play for the club, youngsters coming through, and established ourselves a mid-table side again. In addition he has the trust of the owners which we know is critical. I want to see us progress further under Mowbray.

And who could you realisticly replace him with?  Berg, Appleton, Coyle proves it's far more likely to get it wrong than right. 

It's fine to want more and for us to better, but we are a mid-table sized club with mid-table resources. Realisticly we will end mid-table unless we can overperform.

I agree with much of this, but the problem is that when you stand still in this game, you stagnate and then start going backwards.

That's what happened in the letter years of Bowyer and I think we have probably reached the turning point under Mowbray.

He did a sound job in getting us straight back up, but the warning signs were there last season that a struggle lies ahead.

Mowbray cannot complain about the backing he has received, (e.g. Brereton for silly money), so I don't agree when people start making excuses for him.

There are several examples of clubs with mid-table resources making a push for promotion under the right management.

That said, we all know that our owners, (and a chief exec who I wouldn't trust to pick his nose), will more than likely make another poor appointment.

So it's catch 22 and an end product on the pitch that does not capture the imagination or excite, and will doubtless be watched by fewer and fewer people.

I haven't renewed as yet as it's got to the stage where I'm going through nothing else but force of habit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I agree with much of this, but the problem is that when you stand still in this game, you stagnate and then start going backwards.

That's what happened in the letter years of Bowyer and I think we have probably reached the turning point under Mowbray.

He did a sound job in getting us straight back up, but the warning signs were there last season that a struggle lies ahead.

Mowbray cannot complain about the backing he has received, (e.g. Brereton for silly money), so I don't agree when people start making excuses for him.

There are several examples of clubs with mid-table resources making a push for promotion under the right management.

That said, we all know that our owners, (and a chief exec who I wouldn't trust to pick his nose), will more than likely make another poor appointment.

So it's catch 22 and an end product on the pitch that does not capture the imagination or excite, and will doubtless be watched by fewer and fewer people.

I haven't renewed as yet as it's got to the stage where I'm going through nothing else but force of habit.

Totally agree. I'm not suggesting we should stand still, I expect progress this season from Mowbray.  

Last season was resultwise pretty much could be expected, neither more or less.  From an objective standpoint, quite a few clubs are worse off financially this season, and Mowbray needs to use that edge to improve results. I expect a top 10 push, although I think promotion is out of reach. We have quite players that should be improved this season like Rothwell, Bell, Armstrong, Brereton, Travis, Davenport etc. However we're still too many players short in central areas, esp defence to mount a real promotion push.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Doogs said:

I thought this was the transfer thread..

Transfer thread should stay closed till nearly the end of the window or at least until there's something new to report. That way we might fight it out elsewhere and those who want to read and respond to actual transfers would be able to read this without pages of rubbish bickering. Probably wouldn't work though

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Glosrover said:

All very interesting and worthy of a debate, but maybe the Mods need to be redirecting this stuff into a Tony Mowbray 'any good or not' thread ?

- I think the one being hijacked is supposed to be about the summer transfer window.......

Aye, when's our new centre half being unveiled?

2 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Transfer thread should stay closed till nearly the end of the window or at least until there's something new to report. That way we might fight it out elsewhere and those who want to read and respond to actual transfers would be able to read this without pages of rubbish bickering. Probably wouldn't work though

That’s the whole point of the links thread 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Jack Payne has signed for League 2 winners Lincoln.

Obviously reached his level, though a fair few on here wanted him as Dack’s back up!

Turns out the links to us were bullshit so

Those slating Mowbray for boring and predictable recruitment were well off. 

Ha was that aimed at me? You’re an angry bugger these days ^_^

I felt that did need pointing out because it was a beyond daft thing for fans of a club with supposed aspirations of the top end of the Championship to be coming out with.

(Though obviously a sign of desperation).

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought we had to wait and see and judge him when the window has closed?  :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For every one slating Mowbray, there was one baselessly claiming he would have been a fantastic bit of business due to their Tony tinted glasses.

• Like 3

Just now, Miller11 said:

For every one slating Mowbray, there was one baselessly claiming he would have been a fantastic bit of business due to their Tony tinted glasses.

Hardly baselessly when he was here and people saw him play. They were just giving their opinion on the lad. 

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, that's nonsense, he clearly isn't that type of player. Have you ever seen a second of Beckenbauer play football? I doubt very much that you have.  I would probably compare him to someone like Stam , Vidic or Paul McGrath. 

Beckenbauer's come along once in a lifetime. I can't recall a player as good in that position. In his prime he was like a classy Roy Keane without the agro. I went to a sportsmans dinner a while ago with Dean Saunders. Somebody in the audience asked him who was the best player he ever played with - he said straight away " Paul McGrath, he was unbelievable at Villa, never really trained because of his knees but what a player come Saturday afternoon ".

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hardly baselessly when he was here and people saw him play. They were just giving their opinion on the lad. 

It was baseless, because there was nothing remotely in his game that said he could step up to top half of the Championship... as just proven.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Beckenbauer's come along once in a lifetime. I can't recall a player as good in that position. In his prime he was like a classy Roy Keane without the agro. I went to a sportsmans dinner a while ago with Dean Saunders. Somebody in the audience asked him who was the best player he ever played with - he said straight away " Paul McGrath, he was unbelievable at Villa, never really trained because of his knees but what a player come Saturday afternoon ".

McGrath was incredible. A raging alcoholic with no cartilage in his knees for most of his career. So many players say he is the best they have played with.  His book is a great, if depressing read. 

• Like 1