BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Pal has always been friendly as far as I was aware unless it’s used sarcastically.

if I’ve ever said it that’s how it was meant . I call everyone pal. Quite shocked it’s sparked a reaction tbh

Same here...  It's cringeworthy, to be honest.  Some people need to get a bloody grip- muppets!

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Cannot but help think Mowbray is storing up trouble for the club in the years ahead. Johnson is 32, Downing 34/35, both past their sell-by date, Darlow at 28 is not old for a keeper but not young either.  Ageing squads suddenly need wholesale restructuring as these players lose it,  and we have enough older players on the books already. I hope we have some very good youth players coming through, because these old legs will need the youngsters to do the running for them. Ideally, we should be signing quality players in the 24-26 age bracket, people like Harrison Reed for instance. 

Agreed Jim. Dreadful window for me so far.

Raya out - madness.

Downing age 35 in - more madness

Johnson - jury firmly out. 32 and going into the engine room of midfield. Highly unlikely he'll be as good as Reed.

Gallagher - has already proved both here and at Birmingham he isn't good enough at this level. So why are we even looking at him?

Long old season coming up.

• Like 5

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sadly in today’s market that is peanuts , not going to get much prem lg strikers go for less than that, armstrong was really low and not the norm 

I agree, but it just shows we're shopping in the wrong market. Look at the top goalscorers (20+ goals) from last season in the Championship:

Pukki - free from the Danish Superliga

Abraham - loan from the PL

Maupay - £1.6m from French Ligue 1

Gayle - loan from the PL

Sharp - circa £700k from the Championship

Rodriguez - £12m from the PL

McBurnie - £350k from either League 1 or League 2, can't be bothered to check

Adams - £2m from League 1

Bowen - £0, youth product

The only one who cost any significant money was Rodriguez, who was bought when WBA were in the Premier League so is an outlier.

£5m for Sam Gallagher is lazy and bad scouting imo. If you want players from the PL it seems clear that loaning is generally the way to go, rather than paying silly amounts just because the selling club is in a different financial universe. 

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Raya out - madness.

Johnson - jury firmly out. 32 and going into the engine room of midfield. Highly unlikely he'll be as good as Reed.

Gallagher - has already proved both here and at Birmingham he isn't good enough at this level. So why are we even looking at him?

Ambivalent on Raya, he made alot of mistakes which cost us points - although I'd like to have seen him with a big, commanding leader in front of him, which has never had at Rovers. I'm sure a John MacNamee type would have improved his confidence no end. 

• Backroom

Raya out - madness.

Did someone run over your dog this morning or something?

• Like 8

Love how the pal debate has gotten onto its 5th page ?

Growing up, the rumour around my primary school was that "pal" stood for "personal a*se licker" ?‍♂️

Darlow for Raya, although I'd probably rather keep Raya it is not as desperate a transfer merry-go-round as it seemed at 10am.

Spending all the Raya money on his replacement still seems rather redundant to me. But Darlow is up there for what we could hope in exchange and it refreshes the BRFC scapegoat. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Gallagher is a striker 

Forgot about that. Yes that would be much needed. As really think you're being overly optimistic about Bereton coming good. Especially to the level we need in the timeframe we need. But Gallagher is a good shout and more similar to Graham. 

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I may be in the minority but I’d be happy with Gallagher, unfairly judged on a horrendous season with us when he was playing with poor players for a poor manager. Still scored some good goals that year. 

I would still like us to sign another winger, a Jamal Lowe or a Marcus Maddison - can also play left back. Then when we were chasing a game it would give us chapman one side, new winger on the other, Johnson and Travis/ Davenport holding, and a combo of either graham/ brereton or Gallagher/ Armstrong depending on the opposition. 

Downing is more of a holding winger than a bomb these days. I don’t like Armstrong or rothwell on the wing 

get rid of Smallwood, nuttall, Samuel and Evans for me 

I find this argument really bizarre, that season he is being "unfairly judged" on was actually the best season of his career, his other seasons have been rattling around Southampton nowhere near the team, in a goalless loan spell at MK Dons or at Birmingham where he scored 6 goals in over 30 games.

When he was here he scored the vast majority of goals under the manager who was supposed to be so much of a handicap to him. Coyle made Gallagher basically the main man with Graham or Emnes alongside him, 2 wingers, at the cost of any defensive stability, but it was certainly not a hindrance to him, as it was comfortably the best spell of his career. Mowbray started playing him wide of Graham when we moved to a back 3 towards the back end of that season, and the goals dried up somewhat.

For me, as others have touched on, it would be a really lazy signing in terms of overpaying for a bog standard former player, and a reckless purchase with money needed to overhaul a woeful defence.

I would however be happy with Darlow coming in.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Cannot but help think Mowbray is storing up trouble for the club in the years ahead. Johnson is 32, Downing 34/35, both past their sell-by date, Darlow at 28 is not old for a keeper but not young either.  Ageing squads suddenly need wholesale restructuring as these players lose it,  and we have enough older players on the books already. I hope we have some very good youth players coming through, because these old legs will need the youngsters to do the running for them. Ideally, we should be signing quality players in the 24-26 age bracket, people like Harrison Reed for instance. 

No, he expects Davenport, Buckley and Butterworth to replace them. In fact if we were signing 24-26yr olds then therefore be a good case to say he was blocking their progress imo.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya absolutely no way a 20 year old will get better with more game time. Absolutely impossible. God dammit!!! "shakes fist to towards sky" 

Plenty of 20 year olds will get better with more game time. Who's saying otherwise? Have you always been so extreme?

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

By the time the trouble you speak of is here players like Buckley and Butterworth and such should be ready if they meet the potential seen in them so a few old heads to guide our youngish squad should be fine. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Who isn't prolific, not a particularly sharp finisher, not particularly quick, not particularly good at holding the ball up, notrparticularly good in the air.

Apart from that.......

It's well established that he is quick, you might be right on the other attributes. Some divided opinions:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/heres-what-southampton-birmingham-city-14901383

Likelihood is that unless upwards progress continues Mowbray will be out of a job before he needs to worry about rebuilding after these players have gone. 

He needs to do what he can to try and get us up asap. If we don't go up there's a fair chance Venkys will sell anyone of value like they did last time Bowyers project didn't work out.

18 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Pal has always been friendly as far as I was aware unless it’s used sarcastically.

if I’ve ever said it that’s how it was meant . I call everyone pal. Quite shocked it’s sparked a reaction tbh

It's not a major thing either way but I don't think it's that difficult to comprehend either.

If you know someone personally and address them as "pal" then that would usually indicate that you're being friendly.

If you don't know someone from adam and are disagreeing with them (as I think was happening in this instance) and address them as "pal" then that usually indicates you're being patronising or condescending.

Sybil Fawlty subject "The bleeding obvious" over and out! ?

• Like 4

• Backroom

No. 

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though.

I struggle to see how a striker who scored 11 goals can be seen as inadequate, given our current best striker scored only 12 in that same season.

Given a run up front, under a decent manager, I'd expect him to score 15-20, rather like Graham.

• Like 1

Gutted about Raya going, I was really looking forward to watching him develop. Another thing added to Mowbray’s catalog of errors. I’d trust Brentford’s scouting department over Mowbray’s opinion a player, every single time.

• Like 2