Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, Mercer said:

Totally predictable from Mowbray.  The same applies even more to our goalie coach 'boy' Benson who, IMO, needs replacing ASAP.

“At this moment though I think this team needs some experience behind it and a goalkeeper who has been there, seen it and done it and hopefully can help the defensive unit keep some more clean sheets.”

Bang on! Not just that a keeper needs to be part of season to develop and understanding with his back line 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mercer said:

Totally predictable from Mowbray.  The same applies even more to our goalie coach 'boy' Benson who, IMO, needs replacing ASAP.

“At this moment though I think this team needs some experience behind it and a goalkeeper who has been there, seen it and done it and hopefully can help the defensive unit keep some more clean sheets.”

Decent defenders would help too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Aye, womens teams. Lightweight and galaxies behind citeh kids

He would get in that city squad. For perspective, foden and Diaz the exception, they had davenport as captain the season before last and he was one of their better players. Nmecha was there main threat and he has struggled at Preston. They have just resigned Angelino who must have kicked on in the 12 months he had away. City have a superb youth set up but not many go on to higher than championship level. Buckley’s style of play would be perfect for that city team and I’m sure he would establish himself in that team. He would never get near there first team squad so I don’t know why any kid on the cusp of breaking through our team would leave as he would more than likely end up back out on loan. With the exception of four or five the rest of the squad is no better than what we have hence the reason we finished fifth and they finished three places below us

for every sancho there are ten jack Byrnes. Couldn't make it here and he was highly thought of. 

 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of panic about Raya but at the end of the day he wanted to lesve. Also, what's the point in developing goalkeepers in the acacemy if he's just going to stay there and stop us bringing more through? Mowbray doesn't fill me with confidence either, I wanted a change last season and there are many other managers i'd take over him but I think he's doing the right thing so far in aiming for more expdrience. It's been too long since I've watched players who absolutely hate to get beat, who are real leaders and I think this could be the difference for us next season. A few additions of the right age at centre half, left backend CF and we'll be looking in good shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Travis is half a season ahead of him. But I can tell you that everyone rates him as the best potential in the academy. Including Travis. Buckley is the one they fully expect to play PL football. It’s not just his ability either, also the most mobile and best mentally.

Are you John Buckley? Or John Buckley's Agent 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Neal said:

There's a lot of panic about Raya but at the end of the day he wanted to lesve. Also, what's the point in developing goalkeepers in the acacemy if he's just going to stay there and stop us bringing more through? Mowbray doesn't fill me with confidence either, I wanted a change last season and there are many other managers i'd take over him but I think he's doing the right thing so far in aiming for more expdrience. It's been too long since I've watched players who absolutely hate to get beat, who are real leaders and I think this could be the difference for us next season. A few additions of the right age at centre half, left backend CF and we'll be looking in good shape. 

Agree with your point re: Raya, most people wanted a more experienced keeper bringing in and Raya benching. Raya would get peeved and seek a move when his value would be less, if Mowbray has lost faith surely its best to get rid when his value is highest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neal said:

There's a lot of panic about Raya but at the end of the day he wanted to lesve. Also, what's the point in developing goalkeepers in the acacemy if he's just going to stay there and stop us bringing more through? Mowbray doesn't fill me with confidence either, I wanted a change last season and there are many other managers i'd take over him but I think he's doing the right thing so far in aiming for more expdrience. It's been too long since I've watched players who absolutely hate to get beat, who are real leaders and I think this could be the difference for us next season. A few additions of the right age at centre half, left backend CF and we'll be looking in good shape. 

Nothing wrong with bringing in experience (although we arguably already have plenty of that with Graham, Evans, Bennett, Mulgrew, Williams) but I am against bringing in players on their last legs looking for one last payday. I'd certainly put Adam and Downing in that category. Not sure yet about Johnson. Pontus Jansson for £5.5m at 28 years old would be a great example of an experienced player at this level who hates to lose and still has years left in him. Adam and Downing not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Totally predictable from Mowbray.  The same applies even more to our goalie coach 'boy' Benson who, IMO, needs replacing ASAP.

“At this moment though I think this team needs some experience behind it and a goalkeeper who has been there, seen it and done it and hopefully can help the defensive unit keep some more clean sheets.”

What do you want him to say, we want to sign a crap goalie, he’s said what most normal fans have thought, Raya was a great shot stopper, very agile but useless on crossed, so he wants someone who can command his area, nothing to do with Benson, it’s built in a goalie re crosses, you either have it or you don’t and Raya was weak in that area.

 Why don’t you wait to see who he brings in before making your mind up, but the problem is whatever Mowbray says or does you will not agree, due to your dislike of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we are almost certainly heading towards Carson, Hart or Ruddy. 

Hart gets a lot of stick but just like Friedel did, maybe he can restart his career at Ewood. 

Ruddy would be my choice but wouldn't complain at  either of the other 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Just been having a look at the business other teams in the league have done. One team that really stood out was Barnsley.

Not unlike Mowbray, Stendel has done a bit of a raid on his past club, Hannover rather than Middlesbrough in this case. But as well as a couple from Germany they have also bought in what look like two big young centre halves from Denmark and Belgium. I don’t profess to know anything about these players, and they might not be any good, but while no doubt helped by the fact they have a manager from Europe, their scouting network clearly stretches a lot further than ours.

968FE892-5202-4929-A19C-EFB039E737AE.jpeg

Mate of mine is communications manager at Bristol City, he says they’re going for it big time this season, 7 signings done/imminent the latest was the ex Chelsea CB they had on loan last year.  Bankrolled by Steve Lansdown who’s a big fish in business down these parts and doesn’t see FFP as a barrier any more.  Mate is very confident they won’t lose Webster to Villa either and bullish about their chances of playoffs minimum.  He doesn’t think Fielding is going to Rovers (or that Derrick Williams is going back to Bristol anytime soon).  

I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I think we are almost certainly heading towards Carson, Hart or Ruddy. 

Hart gets a lot of stick but just like Friedel did, maybe he can restart his career at Ewood. 

Ruddy would be my choice but wouldn't complain at  either of the other 2.

Whomever it is the sooner the better so they can build a rapport with our defenders well before the real business begins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I think we are almost certainly heading towards Carson, Hart or Ruddy. 

Hart gets a lot of stick but just like Friedel did, maybe he can restart his career at Ewood. 

Ruddy would be my choice but wouldn't complain at  either of the other 2.

Carson or Ruddy please. Can't bare having a Dingle cast off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, unsall said:

What do you want him to say, we want to sign a crap goalie, he’s said what most normal fans have thought, Raya was a great shot stopper, very agile but useless on crossed, so he wants someone who can command his area, nothing to do with Benson, it’s built in a goalie re crosses, you either have it or you don’t and Raya was weak in that area.

 Why don’t you wait to see who he brings in before making your mind up, but the problem is whatever Mowbray says or does you will not agree, due to your dislike of him.

Some have posted on here that Raya wanted to leave.  Full stop.  The question is why?

IMO, the main reasons why Raya wanted to leave:

  • His game wasn't developing as fast as it should.  IMO, that is down to 'boy' Benson our goalkeeping coach, the kid who started work in Carlisle Community Team and has never (as far as I'm aware) played professional football.  Coaching a goalkeeper is a specialist art - you need someone who's done it and got the tee shirt, a mentor who knows the art inside out from having played the game and a mentor who can build confidence and resonate with the difficulties and hurdles a young goalkeeper will face.  Hasn't Rayna already said the goalkeeping coach at Brentford is a good reason for going there - equally, I think you could interpret that Benson was a good reason for Raya wanting to get away from here.
  • Was made a scapegoat for Rovers' defensive woes.  Hasn't Mowbray done that again in his LT comments?  Last season, I can recall Mowbray openly criticising Raya and Nyambe (easy targets) but don't recall a word against Bennett who, IMO, was horrendous at right back or Williams / Bell at left back who, IMO, were persistent accidents waiting to happen, and boy did they happen!  Time and time again, our defence was ripped to shreds leaving Raya exposed.  If Mowbray, Venus and Lowe were capable of organising a defensive unit, bringing in appropriate reinforcements where needed, this would not have happened.  So, IMO, Raya's inexperience has become an easy shield for Mowbray to hide behind.

Was Raya the finished article?  Not by a long way but he has all the attributes to develop into a top class goalkeeper which I think he will.  As for crosses, I think your comments are completely wrong.  You learn by analysing, working on the the training field and putting into practice - for that, you need a goalkeeping coach with the know how and an ability to build confidence in the goalkeeper.  If the goalkeeper respects the goalkeeping coach for what he himself has done in the game and brings to to the table in terms of player development then you have a very decent chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mercer said:

Some have posted on here that Raya wanted to leave.  Full stop.  The question is why?

IMO, the main reasons why Raya wanted to leave:

  • His game wasn't developing as fast as it should.  IMO, that is down to 'boy' Benson our goalkeeping coach, the kid who started work in Carlisle Community Team and has never (as far as I'm aware) played professional football.  Coaching a goalkeeper is a specialist art - you need someone who's done it and got the tee shirt, a mentor who knows the art inside out from having played the game and a mentor who can build confidence and resonate with the difficulties and hurdles a young goalkeeper will face.  Hasn't Rayna already said the goalkeeping coach at Brentford is a good reason for going there - equally, I think you could interpret that Benson was a good reason for Raya wanting to get away from here.
  • Was made a scapegoat for Rovers' defensive woes.  Hasn't Mowbray done that again in his LT comments?  Last season, I can recall Mowbray openly criticising Raya and Nyambe (easy targets) but don't recall a word against Bennett who, IMO, was horrendous at right back or Williams / Bell at left back who, IMO, were persistent accidents waiting to happen, and boy did they happen!  Time and time again, our defence was ripped to shreds leaving Raya exposed.  If Mowbray, Venus and Lowe were capable of organising a defensive unit, bringing in appropriate reinforcements where needed, this would not have happened.  So, IMO, Raya's inexperience has become an easy shield for Mowbray to hide behind.

Was Raya the finished article?  Not by a long way but he has all the attributes to develop into a top class goalkeeper which I think he will.  As for crosses, I think your comments are completely wrong.  You learn by analysing, working on the the training field and putting into practice - for that, you need a goalkeeping coach with the know how and an ability to build confidence in the goalkeeper.  If the goalkeeper respects the goalkeeping coach for what he himself has done in the game and brings to to the table in terms of player development then you have a very decent chance.

You Like Ben Benson don't you. Why do you refer to him as the boy? Do you think he is the only person who works with the Goalkeepers at the STC? Raya wanted to leave and made that clear before the season was out. 

Edited by alderson777
Pressed accidentally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
Just now, alderson777 said:

You Like Ben Benson don't you. Why do you refer to him as the boy? Do you think he is the only person who works with the Goalkeepers at the STC? Raya wanted to leave and made that clear before the season was out. 

Got a Link, first time I have seen that suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Rovers have someone better than David Marshall in mind. Should been the perfect one for Rovers and a freebie. Wigan making a coup if getting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alderson777 said:

You Like Ben Benson don't you. Why do you refer to him as the boy? Do you think he is the only person who works with the Goalkeepers at the STC? Raya wanted to leave and made that clear before the season was out. 

Ben Benson is our goalkeeping coach isn't he?  So who else would work with Raya?

Look, I don't think Benson is up to the job for the reasons stated and it's impacted on Raya.  It's as simple as that and it is my opinion.

Perhaps I've listened and read to too many of Mowbray's comments and it's rubbing off on me.  To refer to Adams as 'a kid' post Barrow match was ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I didn’t think Raya leaving was catastrophic you would have assumed we had an imminent arrival.

As it stands it’s a really poor move letting him go without a replacement lined up and it weakens our hand when negotiating.

We were under no obligation to let him leave so we should have held on until things were in place  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mercer said:

Ben Benson is our goalkeeping coach isn't he?  So who else would work with Raya?

Look, I don't think Benson is up to the job for the reasons stated and it's impacted on Raya.  It's as simple as that and it is my opinion.

Perhaps I've listened and read to too many of Mowbray's comments and it's rubbing off on me.  To refer to Adams as 'a kid' post Barrow match was ridiculous.

I have no doubt that is what you believe and I’m sure neither does anyone else. 

You really don’t need to repeat yourself in every post, I don’t think anyone  needs any light to be shed on your view of our goalkeeping coach.

Edited by K-Hod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glosrover said:

Mate of mine is communications manager at Bristol City, he says they’re going for it big time this season, 7 signings done/imminent the latest was the ex Chelsea CB they had on loan last year.  Bankrolled by Steve Lansdown who’s a big fish in business down these parts and doesn’t see FFP as a barrier any more.  Mate is very confident they won’t lose Webster to Villa either and bullish about their chances of playoffs minimum.  He doesn’t think Fielding is going to Rovers (or that Derrick Williams is going back to Bristol anytime soon).  

I

Did Fielding not sign for Millwall a couple of weeks ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

I have no doubt that is what you believe and neither does anyone else. 

You really don’t need to repeat yourself in every post, everyone believes you.

Mercer makes a very valid point but does overdo it.

The only reason Benson is first team keeper coach is that it was part of the deal Mowbray accepted when Mowbray took the job.

Rovers did it on the cheap by internal promotion and nothing to do with Benson's ability or experience, he was just in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time, depending on your point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Mercer makes a very valid point but does overdo it.

The only reason Benson is first team keeper coach is that it was part of the deal Mowbray accepted when Mowbray took the job.

Rovers did it on the cheap by internal promotion and nothing to do with Benson's ability or experience, he was just in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time, depending on your point of view.

The funny thing is, I absolutely agree tbh, but if anyone was repeating themselves in such a way about any viewpoint, I’d have the same reaction.  

Edited by K-Hod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.