Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I am not going to jump on this blame the GK coach bandwagon - for a bit of context, check out Tyson Fury's trainer Ben Davison who is just 26-years old and is earning rave reviews from everyone in boxing for what he is achieving. He had been nothing more than a amateur boxer previously.

To be fair, Davison is training the equivalent of Messi, it doesn't take much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think we’ve really missed a trick there with Jansson. Would have been exactly what we need at centre half.

Brentford is in London , which is a big pull for foreign players ..

Also they are probably about sell Maupay to Sheffield United for £22 mill ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always seem to sell the good young keepers that come through at Rovers, Given, Fielding etc now Raya but pre Venkys we've always had a top notch number 1 and at least one good experienced back up. Alongside some good experienced keeper coaches as well.

Replacing Steele was NEVER going to be difficult Keane or Eastwood could've done that job just as well it was more about desperation than promoting Raya because he was that good. They simply gave him a go because he was there, the Gary Bowyer of keepers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, J*B said:

To be fair, Davison is training the equivalent of Messi, it doesn't take much. 

😅😅

Get back in your box he's training a lanky clown to fight bums he's just a cheerleader when Fury gets in with Wilder and the like he does what he wants, pure survival instinct. Bit like Raya is an instinctive reactionary keeper certain things come natural the things he actually needs drilling in don't.

More like equivalent of Carlton Palmer !

So many boxing trainers weren't fighters or much of fighters but I really think having a good ex keeper as a coach is beneficial and football in no way resembles boxing it's a team game for a start they don't need that individual mentality drilling in them like fighters do.

Daft comparison but not surprising from a Fury groupie .... 😄

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

It's an improvement on 7M though! :(

For someone who was two goals behind Danny Graham when he was here.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking around - or that we could be using the money elsewhere - but the Brereton-Gallagher comparisons are nonsense IMO.

Maybe we could get Stokes back on another free. Or maybe Assombalonga is imminent. Who knows.

Edited by CD_93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, unsall said:

Obviously referring to Bauer situation,again, think the jouno was saying that the Preston manager said he would start as one of the back 4 and Mowbray said he would have to fight for his place, not quite a guaranteed place promised, as we all know that can never happen.

In fairness there was no reason to suggest Bauer wouldn't be starting. Who's he fighting with, Mulgrew and Williams? If Mowbray doesn't think he's necessarily better than those two then we shouldn't have been chasing him in the first place. We need people to come into the starting XI, not squad members to provide competition. It surely goes without saying that if Bauer failed to be up to the required standard he could find his position under threat.

Edited by DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

😅😅

Get back in your box he's training a lanky clown to fight bums he's just a cheerleader when Fury gets in with Wilder and the like he does what he wants, pure survival instinct. Bit like Raya is an instinctive reactionary keeper certain things come natural the things he actually needs drilling in don't.

More like equivalent of Carlton Palmer !

So many boxing trainers weren't fighters or much of fighters but I really think having a good ex keeper as a coach is beneficial and football in no way resembles boxing it's a team game for a start they don't need that individual mentality drilling in them like fighters do.

Daft comparison but not surprising from a Fury groupie .... 😄

Keep on topic!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Brentford is in London , which is a big pull for foreign players ..

Also they are probably about sell Maupay to Sheffield United for £22 mill ..

It's more than being in London though. Their scouting, particularly in Europe, has been too notch and they are now reaping the benefits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

In fairness there was no reason to suggest Bauer wouldn't be starting. Who's he fighting with, Mulgrew and Williams? If Mowbray doesn't think he's necessarily better than those two then we shouldn't have been chasing him in the first place. We need people to come into the starting XI, not squad members to provide competition. It surely goes without saying that if Bauer failed to be up to the required standard he could find his position under threat.

The main thing about missing Bauer that perplexes me is that after all the talk of investing in good young players who can make a profit or serve us well for a number of years they appear to pass up on this one. Yet by the time we've finished collecting old heads on short contracts we'll probably have spent the same or more but have maybe just another midtable season to show for it then be hunting around again to replace them and still probably be light on defence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We always seem to sell the good young keepers that come through at Rovers, Given, Fielding etc now Raya but pre Venkys we've always had a top notch number 1 and at least one good experienced back up. Alongside some good experienced keeper coaches as well.

Replacing Steele was NEVER going to be difficult Keane or Eastwood could've done that job just as well it was more about desperation than promoting Raya because he was that good. They simply gave him a go because he was there, the Gary Bowyer of keepers.

Moseley, Bradshaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

The main thing about missing Bauer that perplexes me is that after all the talk of investing in good young players who can make a profit or serve us well for a number of years they appear to pass up on this one.

Reports suggest that Mowbray told Bauer that he would have to work to get into the starting XI, possibly behind A. N. Other yet-to-be-signed. I can see why he chose Preston, who will likely drop him straight into the first-team, but if it's Preston that are offering him first-team football and us not, I think that might say something about our plans in this window.

I know virtually nothing about Bauer, other than he is nothing to do with 24 and seems to be "not Mulgrew or Williams", and therefore a must-have by some fans' estimations. Maybe he would have improved our defence, and maybe he wouldn't. Something tells me that we have other plans, and that Bauer wasn't worth the wages that he was allegedly demanding as a free agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't particularly buy the 'London pull' comments. Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool do pretty well at drawing in foreign talent and we're in that catchment area when you consider where the players are going to live i.e. Cheshire, Manchester city centre, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Herbie6590 said:

Moseley, Bradshaw

Did they step sideways or up ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OnePhilT said:

Something tells me that we have other plans

There's a lot of people on here hope you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's more than being in London though. Their scouting, particularly in Europe, has been too notch and they are now reaping the benefits. 

I agree but once scouted , the attractions of London are far greater attraction !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverKyle said:

I don't particularly buy the 'London pull' comments. Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool do pretty well at drawing in foreign talent and we're in that catchment area when you consider where the players are going to live i.e. Cheshire, Manchester city centre, etc.

 

Brentford cannot compete with the above agreed , the demographic of football as changed to a southern based 2nd tier including clubs who once upon time were in the old 3rd Division South regularly ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Waggy76 said:

I agree but once scouted , the attractions of London are far greater attraction !

Depends on the player I suppose. Some can't handle the bright lights! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverKyle said:

I don't particularly buy the 'London pull' comments. Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool do pretty well at drawing in foreign talent and we're in that catchment area when you consider where the players are going to live i.e. Cheshire, Manchester city centre, etc.

 

That might be because they are United, City and Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Moseley, Bradshaw

Graham Moseley, blast from the past, never played in the first team but snapped up with Derby,I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Waggy76 said:

Brentford cannot compete with the above agreed , the demographic of football as changed to a southern based 2nd tier including clubs who once upon time were in the old 3rd Division South regularly ..

 

Just now, JacknOry said:

That might be because they are United, City and Liverpool.

Apologies to both, it was a bit of a half cocked message. They compete with similar teams to them (the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, etc), who have this London pull, and seem to do OK. 

I don't see why we shouldn't be competing with a similar team to us in terms of stature (Brentford) for foreign players. It's our scouting that's letting us down, not our location. Brentford's scouting is setting them apart in this league at the moment and they're reaping the rewards through the fees they've been receiving for the last couple of years.

Interestingly though, the one bit of scouting we seem to do well, is picking up youngsters in the North West who've seemingly fallen out of favour or not made it at the bigger Premier League clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JacknOry said:

That might be because they are United, City and Liverpool.

Exactly my thought 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverKyle said:

 

Apologies to both, it was a bit of a half cocked message. They compete with similar teams to them (the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, etc), who have this London pull, and seem to do OK. 

I don't see why we shouldn't be competing with a similar team to us in terms of stature (Brentford) for foreign players. It's our scouting that's letting us down, not our location. Brentford's scouting is setting them apart in this league at the moment and they're reaping the rewards through the fees they've been receiving for the last couple of years.

Interestingly though, the one bit of scouting we seem to do well, is picking up youngsters in the North West who've seemingly fallen out of favour or not made it at the bigger Premier League clubs.

Oh I agree with you, just thought the example you used could have been better. United one of the biggest clubs int eh world, Liverpool not so far behind and City with billions and the worlds best manager. Dont think they need any help attracting players at all. Also, apart from perhaps Chelsea in the past, the London clubs such as SPurs and Arsenal have really not had much success - so I doubt London would be a reason a player would choose them over the three northern teams you mentioned.

Completely agree with the rest though - Brentfords scouting, coaching and player development is as good as you could probably get in his division. They bring in players, polish them up and sell them on down the line with a massive markup. Latest one coming on top of Raya and Jannsen? Mathias Jensen from Celta Vigo is about to sign for them apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rise of the smaller southern clubs and their increasing wealth reflects the UK economy and the way it has been run in favour of the south over the past 30-40 years.

To older fans such as myself, the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Palace, Brighton etc in the top flight while clubs such as Sunderland, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Forest etc languish would have been inconceivable many years ago.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.