Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think we could all see we needed more experience after last season. 

Does there have to be a conspiracy about everything? 

Where’s the conspiracy? 

Dysfunctional club still dysfunctional is the crux of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I don't think last season was about lack of experience, it was about a lack of leadership, a lack of defensive quality and a lack of tactical nous from the manager (and repeatedly poor team selections). We had plenty of experience in Mulgrew, Conway, Rodwell, Williams, Evans, Bennett and Graham but none of them are leaders and other than Graham and Mulgrew (for the first few months anyway) there isn't much quality there either.

I don't buy that we must sign older players to sort out last season's problems. It's just an easy way to excuse Mowbray bringing in ageing, cheap players on short-term contracts to fill spaces in the squad because we clearly have very little to play with money wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I'd say about Hart is that when a poor defence is in front of him he has never really done well. See West Ham and Burnley for that.

He isn't one to really take a big grip of the players, talk them through the game. By all accounts Heaton saved Burnley's season last year and had Hart continued they'd have been in real trouble. Great shot stopper though.

If we bring in the calibre of Joe Hart then I would suggest we'd be a more attractive proposition to defenders, especially young up and coming players. For the sake of my sanity I hope we sign a centre back. How many more windows do we need to go through before fixing our back 4? This is a story way older than Mowbray, it's been seen the takeover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm not having that. If Man City put an offer on the table he'd move up north. He's a professional footballer with a short career. You go where the money and best opportunities are

There it is in a nutshell...

25 years ago maybe, but since the dark days of Pune those times are but a long distant memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Stuart said:

That he preferred to start both Evans and Smallwood rather than find a system to incorporate his best XI.

That he thought it a good idea to spout about it in the press in April and all but send Reed back to Southampton.

Well he incorporated Travis into the team, who clearly knew the position and played it the way Tony wanted. Reed is a loanee player, so I'm glad Travis was used there more than Reed anyway! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Where’s the conspiracy? 

Dysfunctional club still dysfunctional is the crux of it.

In some ways, yes. However saying the policy of signing young players is out the window, suggests that was the plan this summer and it was changed.  Wheras I think we all agree we needed more experience. Plus, the window is still open!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The only thing I'd say about Hart is that when a poor defence is in front of him he has never really done well. See West Ham and Burnley for that.

He isn't one to really take a big grip of the players, talk them through the game. By all accounts Heaton saved Burnley's season last year and had Hart continued they'd have been in real trouble. Great shot stopper though.

If we bring in the calibre of Joe Hart then I would suggest we'd be a more attractive proposition to defenders, especially young up and coming players. For the sake of my sanity I hope we sign a centre back. How many more windows do we need to go through before fixing our back 4? This is a story way older than Mowbray, it's been seen the takeover. 

Hart worries me a bit. You can even see his personality on the panel when surrounded by stronger characters like Roy Keane and Gary Neville. He does be like a little nervous boy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Adam, Butterfield, Johnson, Travis and possibly Rodwell. Can't wait for our revolutionary 1-8-1 formation opening day. 

Seriously though, as I have said a few times, something has to give here. I have a sneaking feeling Evans and Smallwood will leave

I think Rodwells offer should have been given a deadline, take it or leave it.  It makes no sense to me that pre-season has started and he is over in Australia. I wouldn't go crazy if he re-signs ,but he hasn't done himself any favours. He would really need to put performances in and quickly. If he signs somewhere else I think we might look a bit silly, the fact we were waiting for his answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hart worries me a bit. You can even see his personality on the panel when surrounded by stronger characters like Roy Keane and Gary Neville. He does be like a little nervous boy! 

Well he wouldn't have to worry about strong characters here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Well he wouldn't have to worry about strong characters here.

Lenihan and Johnson are the 2 main ones that come to mind. 

I would prefer Scott Carson personally , followed closely by John Ruddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack Rodwell can take the road for me. I don't know how he operates but I wouldn't be in the business of sunning myself on holiday whilst clubs waited for my answer. He's clearly hanging on for something better but it won't be forthcoming. We gave the lad a chance after his character got well and truly torn apart at Sunderland and he repays us by behaving in the way he has.

Besides, part of me feels like if he signs Mowbray will think we have depth in defence, and Rodwell is a pretty average defender. He's far better in midfield and as back up to Johnson and Travis would be a decent player. I can't shake off the way he's acted though and think we can get players who actually want to be here, want to be part of the squad and better the club for just as cheap as we can get him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Adam, Butterfield, Johnson, Travis and possibly Rodwell. Can't wait for our revolutionary 1-8-1 formation opening day. 

Seriously though, as I have said a few times, something has to give here. I have a sneaking feeling Evans and Smallwood will leave

I think Rodwells offer should have been given a deadline, take it or leave it.  It makes no sense to me that pre-season has started and he is over in Australia. I wouldn't go crazy if he re-signs ,but he hasn't done himself any favours. He would really need to put performances in and quickly. If he signs somewhere else I think we might look a bit silly, the fact we were waiting for his answer. 

The relief on 80% of Blackburn Rovers football club would be outstanding if both of them were to leave. It would make me a very happy person. Harsh but true.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

The relief on 80% of Blackburn Rovers football club would be outstanding if both of them were to leave. It would make me a very happy person. Harsh but true.

It would be progress, for sure. I think we have enough alternate options to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

The relief on 80% of Blackburn Rovers football club would be outstanding if both of them were to leave. It would make me a very happy person. Harsh but true.

I wouldn't be ecstatic to see the back of them but I'd say Travis and Johnson are a better partnership, and if Davenport and Buckley are due a step up this year it's not the end of the world. Maybe a replacement squad player would have to be brought in for if the young lads don't cut the grade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

 

As I’ve said, glad they’ve moved away from ‘plan A’, many of us knew it was a daft plan to start with.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again - There is a certain “arrogance” that comes across when posters/fans make assumptions like this - as if you or I are privy to their actual plan!

Especially when it’s put into a context of “im glad they’re doing what I said they should’ve done..!”

Theres nothing wrong with criticising the actions and decisions made, but please understand, if you’re going to make assumptions based on your perceptions of “the plan”, accept that others (like me) may think you’ve not the knowledge or connections to make that judgement!

Especially when there are holes in the idea that we’ve shifted from young to old in 12 months, when you remember Jack Rodwell last summer and our first recruit this year (Hilton).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hart surely has enough left for Championship level football with less spotlight on him he seemed to crumble a bit at top level mentally. Never been a huge fan simply because I never thought he was England material he was always a bit of a James mk 2 but like him there's no denying he has good ability.

Wouldn't want them paying silly wages for him though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on Hart. His career has derailed fairly spectacularly over the last few years.

Not sure if he'd have any kind of return to form here with what would be in front of him, although it might be the thing he needs as he would be more the "main man" if he came.

In any case, I'd rather not take the risk as the number 1 keeper slot is a vital position to fill.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hilton was brought in for the U23s, so has no relevance for this discussion. Rodwell was brought in on a short term deal.

Just like you I have no connections and never said I did. It’s an online forum and IN MY OPINION, I’m glad we are SEEMINGLY moving away from predominantly signing young English players.  Poor value for money and extremely risky in terms of return in investment and as a club you chase your tail, never progressing, as you wait for said players to develop, your top players move on and you are back to square one.

Only ever want the best for my beloved Blackburn Rovers, so frankly I’m not particularly arsed if a fella called ‘Biz’ on an obscure forum for football nerds think that makes me ‘arrogant’.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blondie said:

Hart a complete NO. Burnley fans hoping Hart can finish off what Coyle started.

 

Stupid statement. We would be lucky to get a keeper the quality of Joe Hart.  I doubt he'd play bottom half championship football though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Hilton was brought in for the U23s, so has no relevance for this discussion. Rodwell was brought in on a short term deal.

Just like you I have no connections and never said I did. It’s an online forum and IN MY OPINION, I’m glad we are SEEMINGLY moving away from predominantly signing young English players.  Poor value for money and extremely risky in terms of return in investment and as a club you chase your tail, never progressing, as you wait for said players to develop, your top players move on and you are back to square one.

Only ever want the best for my beloved Blackburn Rovers, so frankly I’m not particularly arsed if a fella called ‘Biz’ on an obscure forum for football nerds think that makes me ‘arrogant’.

Thinner skin than Trump.

You know, suggesting an opinion is arrogant is slightly different to calling someone a name?

As I’ll say for the final time. Some notion that the club has “changed” tact purely based on one previous transfer “going wrong” sounds stupid to me, that’s my opinion.

Do we agree on certain things, cons of bringing just youth in? Yes, certainly. But I don’t think signing Johnson and Downing is some acceptance that previous measures hadn’t worked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who’s called who a name? 

‘Thin skin?’ ‘Trump’ I don’t rise to the personal stuff you like stirring up with posters like blueboy, so don’t bother.

Good, I’m glad you think that it was a flawed policy, and thankfully Waggott/Mowbray/owners or a combination do too.

 

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wouldn't be ecstatic to see the back of them but I'd say Travis and Johnson are a better partnership, and if Davenport and Buckley are due a step up this year it's not the end of the world. Maybe a replacement squad player would have to be brought in for if the young lads don't cut the grade

Exactly. It just seems a waste of wages on CE & RS. They need to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.