Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, Biz said:

I am quite sure the club didn’t want to sell Raya - or at least made the decision based on a number of pros/cons in his future if he wanted to leave. That aspect has definitely thrown an extra spanner into the works, no question.

However - again using comments from “Motormouth Mowbray” he already said he wanted an experienced goalkeeper to come and challenge anyway (before Raya was leaving). Hence why I doubt much has changed.

The fact is he says a lot. I’m more concerned with actions, and despite the glaring necessities - I’m already quite please with Downing and (particularly) Johnson. Regardless of any comments from TM in the LET, I felt our team lacked leaders/nouse at times last season (particularly in the last few minutes of games!) Johnson is particularly the type of “shit” I’ve watched drag teams to 3 points vs us over the years, through quality but mainly a winners attitude.

If we can add a centre-half and GK as a minimum - both first team standard, I would be quietly confident going into the season.

Since most business ends up done towards the back of the window anyway, it’s probably fair to say we’ve done “ok” so far.

Not sure about the club as a whole, but I'm pretty sure Mowbray was happy to listen when an offer was put in for Raya. Those comments last season seemed very personal to me, like there had been a serious disagreement between the manager and the player. 

I've said for a while Mowbray could do with talking less. It's nice that he's willing to communicate his thoughts but sometimes less is more. You should only talk that much if you can back up everything you say, and very few managers in modern football could do that. 

LB for me is as crucial as CB (although GK is now obviously top priority). We can't seriously expect to go anywhere with Bell and Williams competing for that place. It's a bit embarrassing. If Bennett is still starting at RB, too, I fear we're sabotaging ourselves right from the get go irrespective of whether we bring in a decent goalie and/or CB.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biz said:

I am quite sure the club didn’t want to sell Raya - or at least made the decision based on a number of pros/cons in his future if he wanted to leave. That aspect has definitely thrown an extra spanner into the works, no question.

However - again using comments from “Motormouth Mowbray” he already said he wanted an experienced goalkeeper to come and challenge anyway (before Raya was leaving). Hence why I doubt much has changed.

The fact is he says a lot. I’m more concerned with actions, and despite the glaring necessities - I’m already quite please with Downing and (particularly) Johnson. Regardless of any comments from TM in the LET, I felt our team lacked leaders/nouse at times last season (particularly in the last few minutes of games!) Johnson is particularly the type of “shit” I’ve watched drag teams to 3 points vs us over the years, through quality but mainly a winners attitude.

If we can add a centre-half and GK as a minimum - both first team standard, I would be quietly confident going into the season.

Since most business ends up done towards the back of the window anyway, it’s probably fair to say we’ve done “ok” so far.

Should have bought an experienced keeper and kept Raya for the near future. And that's all I'll ever say now about Raya cos he's gone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

No. I saw it, END OFF. Cannot be bothered searching on your behalf, Watching the Cricket. 

Fine by me. We'll just assume that you and RoversClitheroe mixed up the contract expiry as the deadline then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

 

LB for me is as crucial as CB (although GK is now obviously top priority). We can't seriously expect to go anywhere with Bell and Williams competing for that place. It's a bit embarrassing. If Bennett is still starting at RB, too, I fear we're sabotaging ourselves right from the get go irrespective of whether we bring in a decent goalie and/or CB.   

I genuinely think Bell has improved marginally in the time we’ve had him.

My main issue with him is a lack of urgency, but I must say I though he finished the season well.

Whilst I agree somewhat on RB - I just think Nyambe will eventually improve to the level we need him to be, so whilst we keeping giving him opportunities - Bennett is a decent backup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

Should have bought an experienced keeper and kept Raya for the near future. And that's all I'll ever say now about Raya cos he's gone!

I don’t know his contract scenario but if benching him meant he left for less down the line, it’s easy to see why (in the financial climate of the championship) the decision was made to allow him to go now.

Not pleased personally, but as I said in his thread - much of my reaction depends on his replacement. We all agree a less erratic, more vocal and box -dominant keeper would’ve been an improvement! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biz said:

I genuinely think Bell has improved marginally in the time we’ve had him.

My main issue with him is a lack of urgency, but I must say I though he finished the season well.

Whilst I agree somewhat on RB - I just think Nyambe will eventually improve to the level we need him to be, so whilst we keeping giving him opportunities - Bennett is a decent backup.

 

I have a feeling Bell will always be a League 1 player at best, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on that. He has some good raw attributes but I wouldn't say any of them are defensive based. Either way he and Williams are a massive handicap on that side as it stands.

Nyambe definitely has the potential, I just fear we're in a similar situation with Raya whereby there has been some kind of tiff between him and the manager. He was left out repeatedly at the end of last season even when Bennett was putting in consistently poor performances at RB. It feels like there's something more there than meets the eye, but I hope that's just the natural suspicion I have over everything that happens at Rovers nowadays tainting my view of the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is any truth in what Nixon is saying... How can Southampton be commanding such a fee when only 2 lower championship clubs have shown an interest? Its not like clubs are falling over themselves to sign him. If this is what TM is referring to when discussing clubs demanding silly fee's then I don't blame him for waiting. He's a 2 million player, 5 is just ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not much in that either. Bielsa seems to want total control. Sounds like stuff strong players who want the best do in teams. 

Interesting that Jannsen wanted a move to the premier league, which didn't happen. Maybe he isn't as good as he thinks. 

saw something on twitter the other day, showed Jansson to be amongst the top 2 or 3 defenders in the division for a bunch of different measures, but amongst the lowest 5 or 6 too, including aerial duels, which seems incredible given his status as a dominant centre back. I can see why at this point no prem teams wanted to take the risk on him, and probably quite a few championship clubs (us included) would think that he can't be trusted for that price. 

I think you could probably say the same about Duffy when he was here in that he was brilliant at certain things and woeful at others, and he's made a good top flight career albeit playing in a team which plays exactly to his strengths. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defending is more mindset than ability. Bell has ability he just doesnt have the mindset and fire in him.

Always looks like he has munched a bag full of beta blockers before a game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wish he would loses interest in him . Where 3 weeks into per season  and he's  on his jollies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FGS5635 said:

For whats is worth, which is usually very little. Nixon just tweeted this

 

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko 42s42 seconds ago

Wigan. Backing away from Sam Gallagher deal. Wages and fee too rich for them in end. Blackburn clear run for him as it stands.

Hopefully the lack of competition means that we can get them down to a more reasonable fee. Looks like the consensus on here is that he'd be a useful enough addition, just that you can do more with £5million

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, briansol said:

Fine by me. We'll just assume that you and RoversClitheroe mixed up the contract expiry as the deadline then.

Fine by me. Assume what you want. I will assume that you are something I'd best not post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like gallagher, but we only play 1 up top 95% of the time. So signing him is a public admission that BB isnt up to it this year either.

If TM trusted BB to kick on this year, we wouldnt be looking at Gallagher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FGS5635 said:

Defending is more mindset than ability. Bell has ability he just doesnt have the mindset and fire in him.

Always looks like he has munched a bag full of beta blockers before a game

See @DE. this is where I am - similar to you’re view technically on him, but a seeming lack of quick decision making or intent.

Ironically, something Bennett does well despite the flak he gets. I’m not arguing he’s a RB, but I don’t think he is as bad as many suggest - and Nyambe has had lots of niggles/injuries too. 

Edited by Biz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hopefully the lack of competition means that we can get them down to a more reasonable fee. Looks like the consensus on here is that he'd be a useful enough addition, just that you can do more with £5million

5 is what has been reported in the press. But Wigan fans were shocked they were even sniffing around a player at that price. I've a funny feeling it's going to be a fair bit less than that, going up to 5 should he perform well. Score enough goals, make enough appearances, promotion etc. At which point he would have definitely been worth the money. I just don't think Wigan would have been looking if it was 5 million guaranteed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Fine by me. Assume what you want. I will assume that you are something I'd best not post

You would probably assuming correctly. I'm spending too much time on this message board, which is not character building. Enjoy your cricket (seriously)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

saw something on twitter the other day, showed Jansson to be amongst the top 2 or 3 defenders in the division for a bunch of different measures, but amongst the lowest 5 or 6 too, including aerial duels, which seems incredible given his status as a dominant centre back. I can see why at this point no prem teams wanted to take the risk on him, and probably quite a few championship clubs (us included) would think that he can't be trusted for that price. 

I think you could probably say the same about Duffy when he was here in that he was brilliant at certain things and woeful at others, and he's made a good top flight career albeit playing in a team which plays exactly to his strengths. 

Adds up. I read a few comments on twitter myself where Leeds fans sad he was good at organising and bringing the ball put, but not so much in the air. 

Totally the same as Duffy, about a 10 for aerial duels and a 5 for distribution. He will always find a Premier league club willing to take him though on as his strengths come in handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

When money is tight you leave your buys as late as you can and do your selling as soon as you can.

The savings in wages can be failry significant that way.

Its far from ideal, but its a simple way to reduce costs

But surely that has to be balanced against the risk of losing top targets for what is tantamount to penny pinching in the bigger picture. This is an area where I fundamentally disagree with Mowbray who believes prices will come down as we get closer to the end of the window. I think the opposite is likely to happen as selling clubs know there is a touch of desperation as evidenced by the late signing of Brereton for silly money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, briansol said:

You would probably assuming correctly. I'm spending too much time on this message board, which is not character building. Enjoy your cricket (seriously)

I am here too much too although, which you may find hard to believe, don't post all that much and try to avoid spats!

New Zealand is scoring too slowly, need to up the rate with such a fast outfield and wickets in hand. My money on India so far.

OH and I forgot:

LT:

"Tony Mowbray says Rovers can’t wait forever for responses to contract offers made to Craig Conway and Jack Rodwell.

Rovers revealed the club they were in talks with the out-of-contract pair who were regulars in the squad this season in their retained list released on Wednesday.

Both Conway and Rodwell will weigh up their options before deciding whether or not to extend their time at Ewood Park, but will be given deadlines to work to"

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.