Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Outscores Brereton last season having proven himself in the development squad (two stints). Bags in his first pre-season game.

Needs shipping out because the other bloke cost more.

Got to feel for Joe.

Not my thinking, maybe yours.

He’s 3 years older and has half as many senior appearances as Brereton.

Needs to play urgently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Not sure what relevance that has to Mowbray playing Smallwood and Evans instead of Reed, and putting the latter’s nose out of joint.

Your point was that Reed felt insulted by being overlooked by Smallwood and Evans. My point is that Travis took the place of one because he was more disciplined in that position, a point Tony made. Reed clearly was not as disciplined as Tony wanted. Plus he was a loanee, surely he felt more insulted by being overtaken by a 20 something youth player? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If we sign Gallagher that would be striker and midfield fully addressed (perhaps not perfectly but we have the right numbers and okay quality). Then we still need to sign three defenders and a GK which are woeful.

Achieve all of that and we could aim for top half. But we're not going to be in amongst the favourites for top six. We would need radically better signings than the kind we are linked to.

Here's a fun game :

Automatic Promotion Quality Players = None

Top six players = Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell, Graham, 

Top half players = Armstrong

Bottom Half Players = Evans, Nyambe, Bennett, Bell, Williams, Samuel

Relegation Players = Smallwood, Mulgrew, Leutweiler, Nuttall,

Unknown Quantities = Johnson, Downing, Chapman, Brereton (I'm being generous here....), Davenport, Butterworth etc.

As it stands we need the unknown quantities to turn out to be top six / top half players if we are to have a good season.

Good post, I think the only one I strongly disagree with is that to me Dack is definitely automatic promotion quality. I think he'd fit very well (probably better) in a top 2 side as there'd be other danger players the opposition would have to focus on. He'd get more space and his team would have more of the ball in the right areas.

As another poster pointed out, Downing and Johnson could be top 6 players as they technically were last season. Unknown quantities for us though, especially due to their ages (particularly SD). I reckon a Nyambe given more game time is probably a top half player next season. Samuel is relegation quality/unknown. Good list though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DE. said:

We've got a MC who can play goalkeeper... good old Richie. Just stock the whole team with central midfielders.

Smallwood

Bennett Rodwell Mulgrew Downing

Johnson Evans Adam Travis

Dack Davenport

Don't joke.

Take smallwood and Davenport out and replace with a keeper and Graham and that's a potential line up for this season.

It would be very Mowbray-esq to sign a powerful central midfielder in Johnson and play him out wide.

 

Terrifying

Edited by davulsukur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Salford are chasing David Wheater. He's a centre half but more importantly he's old and past it and pretty sure he used to play for boro so I'm surprised Tony isn't all over this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JayDee said:

Apparently Salford are chasing David Wheater. He's a centre half but more importantly he's old and past it and pretty sure he used to play for boro so I'm surprised Tony isn't all over this. 

Needn’t worry - he’s a centre back. Seemingly we don’t want any.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davulsukur said:

Don't joke.

Take smallwood and Davenport out and replace with a keeper and Graham and that's a potential line up for this season.

It would be very Mowbray-esq to sign a powerful central midfielder in Johnson and play him out wide.

 

Terrifying

For what it's worth I think we'll line up:

NEW

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

Possible that Nyambe will play at RB and Travis in CM, but I don't trust Tony in this regard. Evans is on plenty of money, has a new contract and has "discipline" so I don't think it's guaranteed that he'll be on the bench, and you have to assume Johnson will be starting. RM could be Travis, Brereton, Gallagher (if we sign him) or Armstrong (albeit on the wrong side of the pitch) potentially. Graham almost certainly will be our starting striker.

Edited by DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

For what it's worth I think we'll line up:

NEW

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

Possible that Nyambe will play at RB and Travis in CM, but I don't trust Tony in this regard. Evans is on plenty of money, has a new contract and has "discipline" so I don't think it's guaranteed that he'll be on the bench, and you have to assume Johnson will be starting. RM could be Travis, Brereton, Gallagher (if we sign him) or Armstrong (albeit on the wrong side of the pitch) potentially. Graham almost certainly will be our starting striker.

Where's Rothwell? He must start v Charlton 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going off this article, where it seemed Gateshead wanted a 6-figure compo fee, I assume the White deal is costing in the region of 100k. Which I imagine is similar to our sell on for Mahoney (20% of the profit, we got about 500k at the time, thought I heard he was selling for about a million to Millwall). Could be related, could be a coincidence. We should net a small 'development fee' for Mahoney on top of that. Was the max for that 5%? So maybe another 50k if I've remembered that right.

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news-carlisle-united-set-to-sign-hartlepool-united-target-tom-white-290881

Edited by bluebruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Where's Rothwell? He must start v Charlton 

Again, it's Mowbray. I don't trust him to start the likes of Nyambe, Travis and Rothwell. I hope and pray that he does, but I have a feeling it'll take a bad run of form for the "trusted" players to lose their place. The only place I can see Rothwell in the team, assuming Downing is a starter, would be on RM. Could be Bennett on that flank though with Nyambe at RB. For the record my PREFERRED team would be:

NEW

Nyambe Lenihan NEW NEW

Travis Johnson

Rothwell Dack Armstrong

Graham

Looks way too risky for Mowbray though so I'm not confident. Note this is based on TM's usual formation and not necessarily what I'd go with tactically.

Edited by DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Your point was that Reed felt insulted by being overlooked by Smallwood and Evans. My point is that Travis took the place of one because he was more disciplined in that position, a point Tony made. Reed clearly was not as disciplined as Tony wanted. Plus he was a loanee, surely he felt more insulted by being overtaken by a 20 something youth player? 

You’re missing the point, Imy. I suspect deliberately so I’ll leave it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I think half the problem is that the club announces these U23 signings as if they are first team signings.

Happened last year with Lyons, Davenport, Chapman etc 

 

All part of the plan. Then the Telegraph will be adding them as new signings to try and give the impression of more activity than there is. New signings for the u23s were previously announced as such whereas nowadays it is all about 'initially' with the u23s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

Again, it's Mowbray. I don't trust him to start the likes of Nyambe, Travis and Rothwell. I hope and pray that he does, but I have a feeling it'll take a bad run of form for the "trusted" players to lose their place. The only place I can see Rothwell in the team, assuming Downing is a starter, would be on RM. Could be Bennett on that flank though with Nyambe at RB. For the record my PREFERRED team would be:

NEW

Nyambe Lenihan NEW NEW

Travis Johnson

Rothwell Dack Armstrong

Graham

Looks way too risky for Mowbray though so I'm not confident. Note this is based on TM's usual formation and not necessarily what I'd go with tactically.

Aye, I think he needs to set the tone for the season v Charlton....attack them .  But he won't and it will be defensive until last 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

I think half the problem is that the club announces these U23 signings as if they are first team signings.

Happened last year with Lyons, Davenport, Chapman etc 

This is exactly the problem, U23 signings should be a short news story in the development section of the website, not front page with a photo signing a contract with the first team manager and feature article.

Once again though our priorities are questionable. We don’t even have an U23 manager at the moment.

That said, it’s telling that someone felt the need to put “White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Is this really the calibre of player we are looking at for the bench, or is this another case of jobs for the “good friends” of existing players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

You’re missing the point, Imy. I suspect deliberately so I’ll leave it there.

So to clarify it is 'embarrassing' that Tony persevered with Smallwood and Evans instead of Reed. You used his words from an article in April, in which he explained that Reed did not stick to his position (a reason why he hadn't started), however if Reeds performances continued then he would start? Ultimately he chose Travis instead of Smallwood anyway so clearly not as rigid with his persevering with Smallwood and Evans as you make out. 

I'll leave it there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, imy9 said:

I'll leave it there. 

You got there in the end. Good lad. :tu: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone really any ideas as to how TM is s ting the team up to play ?

Answer is no they don’t!

The formation being played will be adapted to each game as it comes, I am pretty sure about that.

At home we could go 3-4-2, 4-4-2 or 3-5-1-1.

new Keeper

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew or new CB Williams/Bell

Bennett/Rothwell Johnson Travis Downing/Chapman

Dack Graham or Brereton and Gallagher/Armstrong

 

Throw in Davenport Evans Nuttall Butterworth Rankin-Costello Smallwood Magloire and that has the basis of a good team/squad that can be adapted/changed to suit. I am sure there are probably others from the u23 squad that could step up namely Grayson so there is a lot of talent at the club. I haven’t added Adams but for me he could easily fit into the squad using his experience and know how to help Travis improve even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The cost of the deal is unknown as is the depth of the V’s pockets. It’s not worth worrying about imo. Based on last years budget I think we could spend seven figures again. Especially with the Raya money.

They sometimes pay a player like for example Ruddy, Hart or Forster a large signing on fee to keep wages down. 

 

I hope I am wrong but I honestly don't think we are going to be spending too much this summer.

If we spend 4/5 million on Gallagher all of those 3 keepers will be out of our reach.

I think we may end up with SG + various loan options in defence and a cheap keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

This is exactly the problem, U23 signings should be a short news story in the development section of the website, not front page with a photo signing a contract with the first team manager and feature article.

Once again though our priorities are questionable. We don’t even have an U23 manager at the moment.

That said, it’s telling that someone felt the need to put “White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Is this really the calibre of player we are looking at for the bench, or is this another case of jobs for the “good friends” of existing players?

I think it’s a good way to seem an appealing place for young players to come.

Even if that’s a spurious reason, I struggle to see why you think it’s a bad thing.

I like to know if we sign players for the U23s tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1 minute ago, Stuart said:

That said, it’s telling that someone felt the need to put “White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Is this really the calibre of player we are looking at for the bench, or is this another case of jobs for the “good friends” of existing players?

Well, he did manage to make Everton's bench on a couple of occasions last season, so it seems about right that he would at least expect to be in the discussion to make ours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I think it’s a good way to seem an appealing place for young players to come.

Even if that’s a spurious reason, I struggle to see why you think it’s a bad thing.

I like to know if we sign players for the U23s tbh

The development section of the website is available to everyone.

We have no U23 manager, no first team goalkeeper, a defence in dire need of reinforcements, pre-season preparation with a makeshift defensive unit, and one decent striker.

I never said signing a lad for the reserves is a bad thing but making this appear like a “proper signing” is disingenuous. Same as it was last season with the likes of Candlin and even Lyons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, good confidence boost for the lad and show us investing in young prospects.

I don’t think the intention is to make it out as a “proper signing”, that’s why they say he’s going in the U23s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in a "1 team bidding war" for Sam Gallagher... if we back out, in sure the fee will reduce 25% in a few weeks.

Spend the next 2 weeks focused on a quality GK and a quality CB. 

But that would be the logical approach.

We are 3 weeks away from lining up Luitwiler - Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams. If the window closes with no improvements =💀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.