Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Meh, good confidence boost for the lad and show us investing in young prospects.

I don’t think the intention is to make it out as a “proper signing”, that’s why they say he’s going in the U23s.

“White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Doesn't sound like they they think he’ll be there long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

“White is initially expected to join up with Rovers Under-23s, before pushing for a place in manager Tony Mowbray's senior squad.”

Doesn't sound like they they think he’ll be there long.

Well... good???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Well... good???

Yeah, because that’s just what our first team is missing right now - another midfielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

Yeah, because that’s just what our first team is missing right now - another midfielder.

You missed the bit where he’s going into the U23s?

If he’s better than our first 11 after a while then I’m glad to have him.

Whats the conspiracy here? Highly rated young national league player joins U23 squad (as Buckley progresses) because lizard people?

Or you just didn’t want it tweeting out?

I expect we’ll be at least two down in CM from youth loans/shipping out...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DE. said:

For what it's worth I think we'll line up:

NEW

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

Possible that Nyambe will play at RB and Travis in CM, but I don't trust Tony in this regard. Evans is on plenty of money, has a new contract and has "discipline" so I don't think it's guaranteed that he'll be on the bench, and you have to assume Johnson will be starting. RM could be Travis, Brereton, Gallagher (if we sign him) or Armstrong (albeit on the wrong side of the pitch) potentially. Graham almost certainly will be our starting striker.

I would say Rothwell and Travis will definitely start. They were absolutely cemented by the end of the season. I think Bennett (annoyingly) will return RB unless we sign someone.

The one that really worries me is Mulgrew. I can see Mowbray deciding to retain him in the starting XI as he's club captain. That would be absolutely mental given his atrocious performances last season  But sadly possible.

If we go into the season expecting to regularly play Mulgrew first choice Mowbray will be sacked by October guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

You missed the bit where he’s going into the U23s?

If he’s better than our first 11 after a while then I’m glad to have him.

Whats the conspiracy here? Highly rated young national league player joins U23 squad (as Buckley progresses) because lizard people?

Or you just didn’t want it tweeting out?

I expect we’ll be at least two down in CM from youth loans/shipping out...

You’ve really blown this out of all proportion. If you are that bothered, go back and read my first post on it. I stand by that.

Tell you what though, people are getting really antsy at the moment. The sooner we fix the glaring holes in the First XI the better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

For whats is worth, which is usually very little. Nixon just tweeted this

 

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko 42s42 seconds ago

Wigan. Backing away from Sam Gallagher deal. Wages and fee too rich for them in end. Blackburn clear run for him as it stands.

I thought Gallagher was to make a decision yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I would say Rothwell and Travis will definitely start. They were absolutely cemented by the end of the season. I think Bennett (annoyingly) will return RB unless we sign someone.

The one that really worries me is Mulgrew. I can see Mowbray deciding to retain him in the starting XI as he's club captain. That would be absolutely mental given his atrocious performances last season  But sadly possible.

If we go into the season expecting to regularly play Mulgrew first choice Mowbray will be sacked by October guaranteed.

I hope you are right re: Travis and Rothwell. I think Travis has a better chance of starting, but who drops out for him? Evans, I assume? So we're going to have a highly paid international midfielder on the bench? If that's the case we might as well try to sell him. We don't need a player drawing upwards of £12k p/w, at a conservative guess, warming the bench for most of the season. Our midfield influx would make a lot more sense if Evans and Smallwood were sold, although I have no idea who would be buying.

Rothwell should start, but I have my doubts. We will see. 

As far as Mulgrew is concerned, we already know Bauer was basically told he's need to earn a place ahead of the old faithful, which suggests barring a very high profile CB signing Mowbray is thinking of starting with Lenihan/Mulgrew at CB, which would be a disaster. Mulgrew is done. He should have been asked to move on. Tony hasn't got that ruthlessness in him though. 

What concerns me is that if we do start the season with the same defence as last season, which is looking scarily likely at the moment, Mowbray will surely feel they need protection from the midfielders considering how many we conceded last season. He can't be stupid enough to think a new goalkeeper will cure all of our defensive woes. That's what makes me think steady-eddy, super crab Evans will likely be given the nod ahead of the less predictable but much more impactful Travis. I really hope I'm wrong though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree.We dont want to be in a relegation-battle 6 weeks into a new season cos we cant defend!

Last season we had the luxury of starting the season off as a bit of an unknown entity...that isnt the case any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

You’ve really blown this out of all proportion. If you are that bothered, go back and read my first post on it. I stand by that.

Tell you what though, people are getting really antsy at the moment. The sooner we fix the glaring holes in the First XI the better!

If White has come in to cover Smallwood as he’s the new keeper I’ll be as gripey as anyone!

I’m pretty sure more business will be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neophox said:

Surely we will see the end of Evans this season.

How do people dislike Corry Evans that much? Crazy imo. Probably our best ball playing midfielder. Does the job that nobody wants to do yet gets slated week in week out. Madness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alderson777 said:

How do people dislike Corry Evans that much? Crazy imo. Probably our best ball playing midfielder. Does the job that nobody wants to do yet gets slated week in week out. Madness!

That’s what they call damning with faint praise.

To be honest I couldn’t disagree more, we really wouldn’t miss him imo

Edited by S8 & Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alderson777 said:

How do people dislike Corry Evans that much? Crazy imo. Probably our best ball playing midfielder. Does the job that nobody wants to do yet gets slated week in week out. Madness!

Hi Cory or is it Jonny? 

:)

He's good at breaking things up and stands out doing it every now and again. Too few and far between though. Offers nothing in attack apart from raising my hopes last season and the season before at crucial times. Some man to miss chances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well, he did manage to make Everton's bench on a couple of occasions last season, so it seems about right that he would at least expect to be in the discussion to make ours. 

Think you might need to explain this one to me, Eddie. I don’t get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You got there in the end. Good lad. :tu: 

Good lad? He he, out of interest Stuart, how old are you, 12?😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, imy9 said:

Good lad? He he, out of interest Stuart, how old are you, 12?😉

Nearly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DE. said:

For what it's worth I think we'll line up:

NEW

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Johnson

Armstrong Dack Downing

Graham

 

Dear God, that's an absolutely desperate looking line up.

Keeper could be anything, no CB or main striker which are absolute priorities, and apart from Dack zero creativity.

Have to hope we get busy and there is a massive influx of quality between now and the end of the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of central defenders being linked is extremely worrying for me. I really bloody hope he pulls a good one out of the bag but I genuinely too think we’ll be starting with Lenihan and Mulgrew come Charlton. It’s like Cov all over again for Tony.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, alderson777 said:

How do people dislike Corry Evans that much? Crazy imo. Probably our best ball playing midfielder. Does the job that nobody wants to do yet gets slated week in week out. Madness!

To be honest Travis has looked twice the player Evans has in every regard including passing.

Evans is the sort of player good in theory - ticks things over, moves the ball around, doesn't give it away too much. But his impact on the game is so minimal. He had runs of half a dozen games or so where he was okay, decent even, but then slipped back. 

Mowbray has prioritised bringing in a midfielder (and finally got Johnson) and clearly Travis is starting, so I would say both Evans and Smallwood are looking at significant bench time 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Dear God, that's an absolutely desperate looking line up.

Keeper could be anything, no CB or main striker which are absolute priorities, and apart from Dack zero creativity.

Have to hope we get busy and there is a massive influx of quality between now and the end of the window.

It's just my pessimistic prediction based on what I perceive as Mowbray's preferences. I hope I'm wrong. I don't think people should read too much into the last month and a half of the season. That was not 'normal' Tony Mowbray, it was desperate Tony Mowbray trying to arrest a terminal slide, followed by a more relaxed TM who knew we were basically safe and was therefore willing to experiment. Look at Aug-Mar to see our manager's normal state of mind. Now granted Travis was pretty much a regular after Christmas in place of Smallwood, but Evans played a lot too. Reed didn't take his position - only once, really, against Derby in April. After that it was Evans/Travis. Who's to say Johnson won't come in to replace Travis? Keep in mind Evans started 33 matches last season, and Travis only started 19. Obviously Mowbray could start Evans/Travis, but I doubt we've brought Johnson in to sit on the bench.

As fans I think 99% of us would see more positives in Travis than Evans, but from Mowbray's perspective I would guess he'd see more positives in Evans than Travis. People should not be surprised or horrified if Evans is starting alongside Johnson against Charlton. Anyone who would be genuinely stunned by this hasn't been paying attention to our manager.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

For whats is worth, which is usually very little. Nixon just tweeted this

 

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko 42s42 seconds ago

Wigan. Backing away from Sam Gallagher deal. Wages and fee too rich for them in end. Blackburn clear run for him as it stands.

I don't want Gallagher myself but from the Club's point of view this is turning into an absolute farce, just like the extended and ultimately unsuccessful courtship of Bauer.

If he's the man you really want, get the money paid and bring him in.

If he isn't, move on and bring someone in you are comfortable paying that sort of fee for.

Seems like our scouting network is so desperately poor if Plan  A stalls we have no idea what to do next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

After the sale of Raya and the acquisition of the likes of Downing Adam and Butterfield, Hart' would be one final kick in the knackers for the fans.

Got to love the way how, to support your anti-Mowbray sentiment, you don't include mention the actual signing of Bradley Johnson (which is widely thought to be fairly astute), yet do include mention of 2 players we haven't actually signed and may never do, nor anyone like them!

FWIW I could accept Adam's signing IF he proves to TM that he still has the ability & desire, and the price is right in terms of his wages. Of course we'll probably never know the latter, and many won't trust TM's judgment on the former 2 until he proves it in their own eyes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Yeah, because that’s just what our first team is missing right now - another midfielder.

Typical Mowbray signing.

It's a "signing" which makes it look like we're doing something but at the same time he's not going to be challenging for the starting X1 in the forseeable future therefore his pals in the first team squad won't have their noses put out of joint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Typical Mowbray signing.

It's a "signing" which makes it look like we're doing something but at the same time he's not going to be challenging for the starting X1 in the forseeable future therefore his pals in the first team squad won't have their noses put out of joint.

Or, having lost Travis and Buckley to the first team squad, there is a spot in the u23s to sign a highly rated National League younger player.

Typical Mowbray paying attention to the u23s absolutely disgraceful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.