Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Got to love the way how, to support your anti-Mowbray sentiment, you don't include mention the actual signing of Bradley Johnson (which is widely thought to be fairly astute), yet do include mention of 2 players we haven't actually signed and may never do, nor anyone like them!

FWIW I could accept Adam's signing IF he proves to TM that he still has the ability & desire, and the price is right in terms of his wages. Of course we'll probably never know the latter, and many won't trust TM's judgment on the former 2 until he proves it in their own eyes.

Not sure what the point you're making is other than to have a gratuitous dig at me.

We HAVE signed Downing. We HAVE got Adam and Butterfield on trial the former getting a run out in the side only a few days  after ringing up to see if he could train with us to keep fit. They wouldn't be on trial unless TM wasn't at least considering signing them.

All extremely desperate stuff.

I didn't mention Johnson because he might be ok. But as a 32 year old free agent who won't be getting any better I'd say it's only a "might'.

When or if Mowbray does something positive I'll say so don't you worry.

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

FWIW I could accept Adam's signing IF he proves to TM that he still has the ability & desire, and the price is right in terms of his wages. Of course we'll probably never know the latter, and many won't trust TM's judgment on the former 2 until he proves it in their own eyes.

The trouble with that is that Rodwell presumably proved to TM's satisfaction that he had the ability and desire-----but he didn't.

Its possible that TM isn't as good a judge as we would want him to be.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Typical Mowbray paying attention to the u23s absolutely disgraceful.

Fair enough, as long as he pays some attention to the gaping holes in the first eleven as well.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Fair enough, as long as he pays some attention to the gaping holes in the first eleven as well.

I think we are all hoping for that, just odd to shit on the signing of an u23 in order to make that point.

I still think Tonys big idea will be new keeper and re signing rodwell as CB cover that will be it for defensive reinforcements 

Interview with Tom White out. Apparently been tracked for a few months. Seems a like determined young man with a point to prove. Would be a great story if we could unearth a diamond form non-league, although unlikely.  

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/july/whites-delight/

Some very positive comments from their fans as well:

He’s quality, best midfielder in the league last season.

What a move for

very much deserved. Unreal for us last season and thankfully someone took notice. Very well done sir, very well done.

Absolutely chuffed for

more than deserved. His work rate, ability and attitude was second to none for Gateshead. Can't wait to see his name in big lights.

No problem with the Tom White Signing, looks like he has been brought in on the the cheap to help Buckley move to the first team, If he turns out to be another Vardy then that’s a bonus 

I think many are getting frustrated that we have signed loads of midfielders (which numerically, aren’t a priority), when we have areas of the team which are a much bigger priority, that need to be strengthened, but haven’t been yet. 

I can understand, I really can! But there’s obviously still time to rectify it like, I just hope the defenders really are coming....(and a goalkeeper and a striker).

Edited by K-Hod

Just now, K-Hod said:

I think many are getting frustrated that we have signed loads of midfielders (which numerically, aren’t a priority), when we have areas of the team which are a much bigger priority, that need to be strengthened, but haven’t been yet. 

I can understand, I really can!

Absolutely!

14 minutes ago, pick32 said:

No problem with the Tom White Signing, looks like he has been brought in on the the cheap to help Buckley move to the first team, If he turns out to be another Vardy then that’s a bonus 

How does signing another bloody central midfielder help Buckley in any way?

All this Bauer talk about how he picked Preston over us, Im happy he didn’t sign shows he didnt want to fight for his place. Can’t be only one who wants players who are willing to fight to get in team and not expect to put straight in starting 11. Mowbrays doing it right trust in him. He’s taking us up 😛 

Just now, K-Hod said:

I can understand, I really can! But there’s obviously still time to rectify it like, I just hope the defenders really are coming....(and a goalkeeper and a striker).

I don't think they coming ( defenders ) I think we'll get Gallagher a keeper ( probably a loan ) re sign Rodwell as defensive cover defence has been Mowbrays managerial blind spot throughout his career

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

How does signing another bloody central midfielder help Buckley in any way?

Means he could be full-time with the first team squad or go out on loan to get some experience. 

Edited by S8 & Blue

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Agreed. Hard to stay patient and even though there is plenty of time left I worry TM hasn't got a plan outside of "wait till the last minute and hope clubs drop their pants" and we'll be scrabbling around in the last 24hrs ending up with players that we either don't need and/or aren't good enough. 

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I am guilty for jumping the gun too quickly. Sometimes I've been right, sometimes I've been wrong. Going to give it another 10 days. If we don't have at least a new GK or defender (our weakest areas) I will be worried.

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All extremely desperate stuff.

Not really. Granted Adam phoned us to request training facilities, but isn't that the sign of a model pro looking to keep himself in good shape? Sounds like he has desire to me, going off that. Furthermore he only played to make up numbers after Lyons pulled up injured. Can't blame him for saying yes when asked, nor TM for asking him when short on numbers due to injury.

Downing is not a desperate signing either IMO. A good, experienced old head for our many younger players to look up to. Provided future signings balance out the youth v experience ratio, it's every chance of being a good move.

Changing subject a little, it's been mentioned that we should've been all over Pontus Jansson as being the tough no nonsense CB we all crave; but didn't we have him & his mates on toast when we played Leeds at Ewood last season? I didn't see much there that warrants 5.5m, though admittedly that's only 1 game.

All I want from this window now is a goalkeeper,  and at least one (ideally two) centre back.

If we sign Gallagher (or anyone else), fine but we need those 2 positions filling.

23 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Yeh he could be here to give the u-23s cover for Buckley moving up. It seems a bit odd if so, given Buckley is 3 years younger than him. You'd expect someone brought in for that purpose to be no older than 20 really. Obviously no complaints if this goes on to be a good signing.

Just on the older side for the development squad..much like Lyons was. In fact I wonder if this puts the writing on the wall for Lyons, who actually sounded alright. Only room for so many young CMs coming through. Given how stocked the area is, 'risky' appearances from youth team players will be at a premium. Maybe Lyons is verging on a move north of the border where he impressed? Maybe to rejoin his old Coleraine boss permanently?

Cover for an under 23s player. Am I hearing this right?? 

Evans, Mols, Lyons, Lithuanian kid, and there is another one as well who’s name escapes me. All clambouring for Buckley’s spot in under 23s. 

Cover for under 23s...can’t believe my ears.

Evans, Mols, Lyons, Lithuanian kid, and there is another one as well who’s name escapes me. All clambouring for Buckley’s spot in under 23s. 

Maybe he’s better than them?

Look

We all want defenders and a keeper

No one REALLY wants Adam

But that doesn’t make this a bad signing!

Vale?

I think the Lithuanian is more of a winger or attacking mid (also not broken past u-18s yet)? Thought Mols was similar to that. No clue about Vale and Evans, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on the first two. I think the club are keen to ensure our u-23s stay in the top youth league. It's good for them and our ability to attract youngsters. This kid seems rated tbf, only odd thing about it is his age.

Does Buckley even have a spot in the first team though? I know we are expecting him to push on, but to even get on the bench for the CM/DM roles he will be competing with Travis, Evans, Johnson, Smallwood, Davenport, Downing, Bennett and even Lyons to a degree, as things stand. The first 5 probably being the biggest threat...only 4 of those 6 (including Buckley) can realistically make a matchday squad. Meaning Buckley is relying on some combo of us selling someone, not bringing in Adam, Butterfield or A.N. Other, and injury/suspension just to be on the bench.

I suspect he will spend at least the first couple of months training with the first team but playing with the u-23s.

Edited by bluebruce

28 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

All this Bauer talk about how he picked Preston over us, Im happy he didn’t sign shows he didnt want to fight for his place. Can’t be only one who wants players who are willing to fight to get in team and not expect to put straight in starting 11. Mowbrays doing it right trust in him. He’s taking us up 😛 

The whole "guaranteed start" at PNE being why he chose them has probably originated out of Brockhall and is another one of the fabled tales we get spun weekly by our manager and the LT.

I'd love to think that this would be a good year for the likes of Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Mols, Lyons and Butterworth... but the signings and trialings of Downing, Johnson, Adam and Butterfield probably tell us all we need to about 'Tombola T's' aims for out youngsters this season.

Tomorrow marks 6 days since Raya was having his medical, and besides a flat denial of Darlow... Nada. Tick tock.

1 hour ago, briansol said:

Good luck to him and hope he becomes a success at Ewood.

But in the football mad North east, if he was that good why didn't the likes of Sunderland or Middlesbrough snap him up?

Edited by jim mk2