BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom

Think Brentford are still well within net profit on transfers even if they spent £5m on Gallagher.

Let them have him. We have enough strikers already. Unfortunately none of them are a Graham type, but it would be pretty irresponsible to spend £5m on another one when we critically need a goalkeeper and a centre back.

• Like 1

Gallagher at £5 Million is overpriced but it looks as though that price is not going to come down so we need to make our minds up and decide if we are willing to pay that or if we are going to move on to other targets. The question is do we have other targets?

• Like 1

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

Brentford must be selling Benrahma and/or Maupay otherwise what is FFP all about?

Some big money being thrown around the Championship this summer!

Rumoured to be selling Kauzer or whatever he's called to Villa for 12 million. Now that's a scouting system paying off. Not noticed them collecting academy players. A clear strategy and good at it. Bit different to the muddled and mixed messages here.

Just now, DE. said:

Think Brentford are still well within net profit on transfers even if they spent £5m on Gallagher.

Let them have him. We have enough strikers already. Unfortunately none of them are a Graham type, but it would be pretty irresponsible to spend £5m on another one when we critically need a goalkeeper and a centre back.

Sounds like they are selling a defender to Villa for £12m as well, just to add to the net profit.

Just now, rigger said:

I think we will finish above Brentford this season

I don't - I think they'll be right up there.

@JHRover - they don't even have an academy anymore I believe... It's all about the moneyball formula.

Just now, DE. said:

Club don't appear to be agreeing which is giving me major concerns for the season ahead unless a decent one is brought in.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Sounds like Brentford just leach off the rest of the academy clubs, hoovering up their surplus products and with the money saved, and then made on then selling them on, outbid us for players. Great stuff.

I still find it hard to believe that it makes them FFP compliant given that academy spend is exempt and transfers are scrutinised.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Brentford must be selling Benrahma and/or Maupay otherwise what is FFP all about?

Some big money being thrown around the Championship this summer!

They had a lot of money in the bank, sold Bentley for £2mil and also within last 12 months sold Mepham for £12.5 mil, Woods for £6.5mil, Egan £4.1mil, Jozefzoon £3mil and Yennaris for £5mil. So made over £33mil on transfer fees, that's why they are spending.

Given Gallaghers agent i'm always a bit suspicious of us being used in regards to him its happened every window since he's been here although i'm sure they'd love to get him here and if so we'll overpay.

Question is does Mowbray really want him ( whether we get him or not ) ?

Just now, AAK said:

They had a lot of money in the bank, sold Bentley for £2mil and also within last 12 months sold Mepham for £12.5 mil, Woods for £6.5mil, Egan £4.1mil, Jozefzoon £3mil and Yennaris for £5mil. So made over £33mil on transfer fees, that's why they are spending.

You would have to think that they are making a go of it this season. Perhaps this spending is in part an attempt to get their better players from last season to hang on too. If they could keep Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma and Konza while spending a bit on some good players, you would have to think that they are well eqquipped to have a shot at promotion.

Just now, JacknOry said:

You would have to think that they are making a go of it this season. Perhaps this spending is in part an attempt to get their better players from last season to hang on too. If they could keep Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma and Konza while spending a bit on some good players, you would have to think that they are well eqquipped to have a shot at promotion.

Definitely pal, maybe hoping for Premiership football next season, when they open their new ground.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Completely understandable though if they don't want to overspend on someone who is a nice to have, not a must have.

Whilst Gallagher per se isn't the answer imo, a top quality striker to replace Graham is an absolute must for me.

Our transfer policy really does appear to be a joke. We know what the price for Gallagher is, if we have the money and we really want him we should pay it or alternatively move onto someone else we are happy to pay the fee for.

If we don't have the money then similarly we should move on and stop wasting the window hoping Southampton will sell him to us at a price that isn't the price.

If I want a Ferrari that's £200k I'm not going to get it by offering £120 k , six months down the line I'm still going to be stood there with my nose pressed to the window. I'm not going to suddenly get the item on the cheap just because they feel sorry for me no matter how many times I walk round looking at it amusingly.

Not that Gallagher is "a Ferrari" of a player, more like a Ford Mondeo but the principle still applies.

• Like 2

• Backroom

The issue isn't necessarily Gallagher's quality (I think he'd be a competent Championship striker), more the reportedly large fee (compared to pretty much every 20+ goal scorer last season) and the fact we have other positions that desperately need strengthening. Plus Mowbray would probably play him on the wing. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

The issue isn't necessarily Gallagher's quality (I think he'd be a competent Championship striker), more the reportedly large fee (compared to pretty much every 20+ goal scorer last season) and the fact we have other positions that desperately need strengthening. Plus Mowbray would probably play him on the wing. 

Would be lucky to get 10 League goals (excluding penalties) out of Gallagher imo.

20 + scorers are surely in the 10-15m bracket at least these days.

Sounds a lot but then again we were prepared to risk 7m on a completely unproven 19 yr. old. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Would be lucky to get 10 League goals (excluding penalties) out of Gallagher imo.

20 + scorers are surely in the 10-15m bracket at least these days.

Sounds a lot but then again we were prepared to risk 7m on a completely unproven 19 yr. old. 

I posted a list a few pages back, every 20+ goal scorer last season cost significantly less than £5m, except Rodriguez who was bought for £12m when WBA were in the Premier League. It was all simply good scouting from the lower and european leagues, with a home grown prospect or two thrown in. Granted many of these were bought a few seasons back, but it just shows the value of looking ahead (and I don't mean by spending £7m on a youngster). 

If Gallagher scored 8-10 goals then I'd consider that reasonable considering he'd probably be spending most of his game time on the right wing. But it would only be reasonable if he was on loan or bought for significantly less than £5m. 

• Like 4