Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well someone will have to replace Graham IF he doesn't continue to deliver ad he had been. If he keeps delivering, then should he not keep his place? 

See we need a striker one way or another and we only play one up top. I would prefer Gallagher, Armstrong or Brereton to be given a run in their favoured position, but if they don't offer more than DG, we'll then they will need to get on somewhere else. 

That isn't the way to build a good team though that's just signing players then trying to accommodate them i'm afraid.

35 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Interesting that he names Butterworth, Buckley and Magloire whilst intimating that he’s happy to sign older players because they believe in those particular players...😉

A Lads & Dads team. Heart warming.

Just now, JacknOry said:

The argument there would be that we already bought somebody to replace Graham last season for quite a whack. 

Ya, indeed. If he doesn't come good at some point during his contract, that deal will look even worse. Spending the money there made no sense in hindsight as things stand. 

Just now, tomphil said:

That isn't the way to build a good team though that's just signing players then trying to accommodate them i'm afraid.

Exactly, all this buying players and then playing them in all kinds of positions just so they get on the field. Need a player for a position?buy him and the he has to compete with the others that have been signed for his position.

If we do sign Gallagher for the reported £5 million, we will have spent £12 million on two strikers and neither are guaranteed starters if TM sticks to his current system of one up top with either Dack or Rothwell playing in a free role behind.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

If we do sign Gallagher for the reported £5 million, we will have spent £12 million on two strikers and neither are guaranteed starters if TM sticks to his current system of one up top with either Dack or Rothwell playing in a free role behind.

in the meantime - how much have we spent on defence?

Just now, tomphil said:

No, not really because if they aren't better than the actual wingers in the squad, they won't get into the team in that position. Signing Gallagher to deputise for Graham is a good way to build a team imo. It's up to him and Brereton to win their places wherever they apply themselves best. 

Would be happy to see Gallagher sign, like the lad and feel that he has potential if played up top. Its just annoying the hell out of me that we dont have a damn defence.

Ya, could work out expensive. Say a 4 year contract, plus the fee and you are into double figures in the millions. I just wonder is the flex open ended or will it impact us this window. 

I reckon the rest of the business will be a keeper on a free and a CB on loan. 

Don’t worry, somebody will along soon to explain all...

No, not really because if they aren't better than the actual wingers in the squad, they won't get into the team in that position. Signing Gallagher to deputise for Graham is a good way to build a team imo. It's up to him and Brereton to win their places wherever they apply themselves best. 

Theoretically yes but you are conveniently side stepping how our managers does things going off what we've seen and there is no reason to think it'll be any different. What actual wingers do you refer to anyway ?

Chapman - only likely to be bit part player, Bennett - great workhorse but probably worst winger in division.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Don't think it would be in the clubs benefit to publicly explain our finances to be honest. Or did you mean one of our resident experts here? 

Gallagher is a decent signing but overpriced at £5 Million especially considering we need a overhaul of the defence. Mowbray must be going with the you score 3 we score 4 approach, with his £12 Million strike force.

Just now, tomphil said:

Theoretically yes but you are conveniently side stepping how our managers does things going off what we've seen and there is no reason to think it'll be any different. What actual wingers do you refer to anyway ?

Chapman - only likely to be bit part player, Bennett - great workhorse but probably worst winger in division.

Artmstrong, another striker turned winger. Rothwell should be nailed on for one of those positions anyway. Then we have Downing. BB shouldnt be getting anywhere near a winger spot based on performances. He is a striker and should be competing with Graham for that role. 

Just now, tomphil said:

It annoys me the way he does it to be honest. I just think Gallagher on the wing is less of a leap than some of the stuff he has done... 

Downing and Rothwell for me. I think Chapman and Armstrong will be great weapons off the bench. I don't think Bennett should be a starter, but I reckon he will probably start right back first game. Which will be annoying. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The only explanation I have other than the V's not allowing him to spend on defenders is that he's been foolishly blinded by Lenihan's return to form and fitness towards the end of the season and Williams coming in and doing okay. We all know Darragh has an injury in him, while Williams really, really isn't the long term answer at centre half. It is a huge concern; we will continue to concede for fun until new blood is brought in.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Don't think it would be in the clubs benefit to publicly explain our finances to be honest. Or did you mean one of our resident experts here? 

The latter ^_^

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Gallagher is a decent signing but overpriced at £5 Million especially considering we need a overhaul of the defence. Mowbray must be going with the you score 3 we score 4 approach, with his £12 Million strike force.

The thing is when you look at what players move for, it's probably not that much over the odds. The problem is i think we all agree a fee spent on a centre half should be a priority 

I reckon it will be a free keeper (there are a few knocking about) and a loan or two to patch up defence. All the while we have 300 midfielders and 150 strikers.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The only explanation I have other than the V's now allowing him to spend on defenders is that he's been foolishly blinded by Lenihan's return to form and fitness towards the end of the season and Williams coming in and doing okay. We all know Darragh has an injury in him, while Williams really, really isn't the long term answer at centre half. It is a huge concern, we will continue to concede for fun until that's sorted.

All 3 of Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams I would describe as injury prone. We have been caught short at centre half the last 2 seasons because of injuries. 

For that to happen again would be totally unacceptable and on Mowbrays head be it if we are in November playing a midfielder centre half. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Artmstrong, another striker turned winger. Rothwell should be nailed on for one of those positions anyway. Then we have Downing. BB shouldnt be getting anywhere near a winger spot based on performances. He is a striker and should be competing with Graham for that role. 

Exactly

How many times did he bring on Brereton to replace DG last season ?   Very rarely till the end plus Vs ain't going to pay 5 mill for yet another to sit on the bench every week.

A change in formation would get more of them in but can we see him straying away from the tried and trusted starting formula of Graham and Dack ?

Is he going to start subbing Dack every week and go 442 ?

I think we all know it's going to be a striker on one or both wings most of the time although the array of attacking talent we might be assembling should get the juices flowing it's pretty damn impressive to be fair.

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Time to bring out the secret weapon 

Blackburn Rovers will be playing four four fucking two

Doubt that very much as it means you don't get the best outta Dack