Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Not to be disrespectful to Wharton or Magloire but if we're seriously expecting either or both of them to step up in place of buying defenders then we are in big trouble. Wharton was playing for Lincoln and Bury last season whilst Magloire doesn't even appear to have been out on loan anywhere despite being 20, which seems weird to me as he's never been near the first team squad until recently? 

We're falling into the same trap we've seen multiple times over the years under Venky's. Rush kids into the first team without adequate preparation, let the fans witness them making all the mistakes they should have made out on loan elsewhere, leading to an erosion of confidence and the player never fulfilling their potential. At 20 and 21 Magloire and Wharton aren't exactly kids anymore, but one has been playing at League 2 level and the other at u23 level with, as far as I can see, no real experience of proper first team football save for a couple of cameos last season for us. Extremely risky to expect either player to be a significant part of our defence next season imo.  

27 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Gallagher is not a bad signing, but we would really need to look at moving out Samuel and Nuttall (even on loan), as I can't see them getting anywhere near the team.

Graham, Gallagher, Brereton and Armstrong should be enough options in the 18 and with the other two out on loan with a January recall in case we have injuries.

Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong, Bennett, Dack, Butterworth and Gallagher as wide /CAM options is plenty too.

Likewise Travis, Johnson, Davenport, Downing, Evans, Buckley (Adam, Butterfield), Smallwood and Bennett are crazy numbers for CM. 

That's 20 players, TWENTY, for 6 positions. Yet we have 1 (poor) GK and 5 (actual) defenders. Insanity.

You make a valid point.  Some aspects I'd like to add:

• Adam and Butterfield not likely to be signed up, at least not both.
  • Bennett likely to play right back / winger (probably not CM)
  • Several players can fill different positions, but not at the same time.
  • It's a squad game, so you need at least double options on each position for injuries/suspensions/fatigue. That means we should have a squad of 22 + youngsters when needed.
  • Absolutely right that we should now have plenty of options midfield/foward and some likely to leave perm or loan: Nuttall (loan), Smallwood (perm), Evans(?), Butterworth (loan)
  • GK / Defences low on numbers. You might count Wharton and Magloire but that's a stretch. If Williams is now a centre back, that means we lack a left back cover as well. Leutwiler not rated so might bring in two keepers, unless Fischer is seen as a number 2. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

OK let's just say we do sign a keeper and CB, we won't be in a bad spot then really. We have serious firepower. Defenders wil not relish coming up against Graham, Dack, Rothwell, Chapman, Downing and Armstrong. A lot of stuff for defenders to worry about there. Then if Brereton and Gallagher start chipping in as well. 

Have ye watched the behind the scenes training videos on YouTube? Brereton banging them in. Maybe it's propoganda 😂 but there are a good few clips of him scoring. 

Yeap. Saw a good clip of him skip past 2-3 players. Looked sharp - The kids a baby, there's potential there IMO.

Just now, Butty said:

No no no no no no. We aren’t paying 5 million for him too play on the f**king wing mate. He’s got too take Graham’s place in the side, if he comes in and hits the ground running then that will happen but I’m not having him shoe horned in on the wing when he’s a striker. 

In 4-3-3 I would expect the front 3 to be closer to goal and narrower than the inside forwards would be in 4-2-3-1. 

I just wonder if we didn't sign Brereton last summer, wlhow would he have done for Forest? Probably wouldn't have played much. Clearly not a karanka player and even less so of an O'Neill one. 

At least he had the year under his belt here. Huge season coming up for the lad. 

Magloire impressed vs Wigan then was bullied at Hillsborough, Scott Wharton has never impressed me in the multiple occasions he’s played, nor did he impress at Lincoln or Bury. Time to move him on.

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeap. Saw a good clip of him skip past 2-3 players. Looked sharp - The kids a baby, there's potential there IMO.

Ya, one he got through, I think from a Dack pass and he slotted it really nicely to the bottom right. The keeper was right on him and he didn't have much time. It looked a good finish. 

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I'm sure both Mowbray and Waggottt stated, after the India trip, that the budget was similar to last year. 

To slightly mis-quote the late Mandy Rice Davis, "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Just now, m1st said:

To slightly mis-quote the late Mandy Rice Davis, "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Why would they say it if it wasn't true? Mowbray is at times too honest, and Waggott has several times stressed the need to comply with FFP.  If they were supposed to be tactical it would have been wiser to say we have small budget to have a stronger hand in negotations.  

Just now, briansol said:

Why would they say it if it wasn't true? Mowbray is at times too honest, and Waggott has several times stressed the need to comply with FFP.  If they were supposed to be tactical it would have been wiser to say we have small budget to have a stronger hand in negotations.  

To give a positive message about the ownership and encourage season ticket sales?

"Defenders are coming. They (current defenders) know that!"

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

Happy if Gallagher is coming now. We really couldn't go into the season without a decent option to Graham. Seems like we managed to fend off other clubs like Wigan, Brentford and Preston(?)

Pretty sure he will play winger as well as striker. He did last time for us, and he did for Birmingham as well. Mowbray will probably say in next interview that he see him as someone who can play in there as well :)  Messageboard beware..

Just now, briansol said:

Happy if Gallagher is coming now. We really couldn't go into the season without a decent option to Graham. Seems like we managed to fend off other clubs like Wigan, Brentford and Preston(?)

Pretty sure he will play winger as well as striker. He did last time for us, and he did for Birmingham as well. Mowbray will probably say in next interview that he see him as someone who can play in there as well :)  Messageboard beware..

So is it a def signing for us now?

And to offer another entry from the Dictionary of quotations, it was Humpty Dumpty who told Alice, "Words mean what I want them to mean."

'Similar' in that context could surely mean: "slightly more"; "the same"; or "slightly less".

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

To give a positive message about the ownership and encourage season ticket sales?

A bit far fetched. Didn't have to quantify it, could easily say: "The owners is very supportive of what we are trying to achieve here. Unlike other clubs we don't have to sell our best players and there is some money available to add to the squad. We can't overspend even if the owners want to, because we need to comply with FFP"

Nyambe- academy graduate 

Bennett - converted midfielder 

Caddis - free

Lenihan- academy graduate/converted midfielder 

Mulgrew- free/converted midfielder 

Downing - free

Elliott Ward - free

Hendrie - loan

Rodwell - free

Olsson- free

Spurr - free

Kilgallon- free

Wes Brown - free

Gordon Greer - free

Michael Keane- loan

Alex Baptiste- loan

Todd Kane - loan

Ben Marshall- converted midfielder 

Jason Lowe - academy graduate/converted midfielder 

Grant Hanley- academy graduate 

Adam Henley - academy graduate 

Sam Hart - free

Tommie Hoban - loan

Derrick Willaims - 200k?

Amari Bell - 200k?

Shane Duffy - some sort of fee

I'll go out on a limb now and say that our defensive issues will be 'addressed' internally or with loans/free agents.

Remarkable that all those managers have chosen not to invest into proper defenders. Almost as though there's a common denominator here.

Just now, briansol said:

A bit far fetched. Didn't have to quantify it, could easily say: "The owners is very supportive of what we are trying to achieve here. Unlike other clubs we don't have to sell our best players and there is some money available to add to the squad. We can't overspend even if the owners want to, because we need to comply with FFP"

Maybe, it is more far fetched to believe everything they say..

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

Just now, starscascade said:

So is it a def signing for us now?

Not official yet, but looking very likely that a deal is in place. Sam Wallace wouldn't stick his neck out unless the deal was more or less done.  Alan Myers thinks it will be announced on Monday.

https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel

Just now, JHRover said:

Nyambe- academy graduate 

Caddis - free

Downing - free

Elliott Ward - free

Hendrie - loan

Rodwell - free

Olsson- free

Spurr - free

Kilgallon- free

Wes Brown - free

Gordon Greer - free

Michael Keane- loan

Alex Baptiste- loan

Todd Kane - loan

Sam Hart - free

Tommie Hoban - loan

Derrick Willaims - 200k?

Amari Bell - 200k?

I'll go out on a limb now and say that our defensive issues will be 'addressed' internally or with loans/free agents.

Remarkable that all those managers have chosen not to invest into proper defenders. Almost as though there's a common denominator here.

I keep thinking of the impact of signing John McNamee...

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Maybe, it is more far fetched to believe everything they say..

Of course. We all see the world through our tinted glasses, wouldn't be any messageboards if the world looked the same to everybody

Just now, JHRover said:

Nyambe- academy graduate 

Caddis - free

Downing - free

Elliott Ward - free

Hendrie - loan

Rodwell - free

Olsson- free

Spurr - free

Kilgallon- free

Wes Brown - free

Gordon Greer - free

Michael Keane- loan

Alex Baptiste- loan

Todd Kane - loan

Sam Hart - free

Tommie Hoban - loan

Derrick Willaims - 200k?

Amari Bell - 200k?

That is pretty damming evidence, but you did omit Dann, so I take it you are only looking at the time since we went down. Still, damning no doubt... 

In fairness you could look at any position before Mowbray took over and see the same story. He had a few weeks left to buck the trend this window. 

Let's just saw though we get a good centre half on loan. Not my ideal scenario, I think we should buy one, but let's just say. No doubt there will be uproar here, but would that be an over reaction, if, as I said, the one we get on loan is good? 

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Not to be disrespectful to Wharton or Magloire but if we're seriously expecting either or both of them to step up in place of buying defenders then we are in big trouble. Wharton was playing for Lincoln and Bury last season whilst Magloire doesn't even appear to have been out on loan anywhere despite being 20, which seems weird to me as he's never been near the first team squad until recently? 

We're falling into the same trap we've seen multiple times over the years under Venky's. Rush kids into the first team without adequate preparation, let the fans witness them making all the mistakes they should have made out on loan elsewhere, leading to an erosion of confidence and the player never fulfilling their potential. At 20 and 21 Magloire and Wharton aren't exactly kids anymore, but one has been playing at League 2 level and the other at u23 level with, as far as I can see, no real experience of proper first team football save for a couple of cameos last season for us. Extremely risky to expect either player to be a significant part of our defence next season imo.  

Neither are the big, no nonsense, tough son of a gun that we need at the back either and never will be IMO. Magloire particularly isn't that good in the air for a start!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

46 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah, the squad balance right now is way off. You can definitely sense that players are outgoing, hopefully one of either Evans or Smallwood in the middle, if not both. God forbid it's Travis.

I don't understand the issue with signing defenders. Surely Mowbray realises it, he has spoke about defenders coming, is it a case of us losing our targets or is there no longer a genuine appetite amongst the club staff for new players in that area? Do they see Wharton/Magloire stepping up?

We can't judge until the end of the window, but as it currently stands our squad is top heavy. 

I really do! I’m sure we will address it like, but we conceded loads of goals last season, not many conceded more than us, so it obviously needs to be fixed.