BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

15 minutes ago, AAK said:

Was having a good season last season until he got injured (played 30 games). The keeper who then came in also played well, so Lampard kept him in the team. He's been doing pretty decent at Derby. I'd be happy with a more experienced and vocal keeper.

Youngest average age of the squad in the Championship season 2018-19:

1) Blackburn - 24.55
2) Wigan - 24.73
3)Swansea - 24.76
4) Reading - 24.95
5) Ipswich 25.03

Ipswich were bottom, reading were 20th and in a relegation scrap until last couple of games of the season, Wigan 18th and same as Reading. Then us and swansea were decent at times, but far too inconsistent. There's a lot to be said for chucking in some experience leaders. That extra expereince from Downing and Johnson, and hopefully someone like Carson will be very good for this team, at times last season we really lacked the nouse in games, e.g.

1-0 at Bristol and losing 4-1
2-1 up at ipswich (a very poor side) and conceeding in injury time 2-2
1-0 up at home to villa and conceeding in injury time 1-1
1-0 up at Swansea and losing 4-1
2-0 up at home to brum and conceeding two late goals 2-2
2-1 up at leeds in the 91st minute and losing 3-2
2-0 up at brentford and losing 5-2
2-1 up at brum and conceeding with a few minutes to go, just after we'd taken the lead 2-2

There were a few other games were we were leading and didn't win, but these are the main ones, 20 points dropped here, in games of which we were controlling and then just fell apart, or didn't have the nouse at the end of the game to keep the lead. We finished on 60 points, even taking just half of them points that we chucked away (10) that would have put us on 70, granted that wouldn't have been enough for play offs, but in a lot of season it would see in the play offs or very near.

Fantastic post. Our two biggest problems last season were squad depth and experience. 

• Like 1

Just now, AAK said:

Was having a good season last season until he got injured (played 30 games). The keeper who then came in also played well, so Lampard kept him in the team. He's been doing pretty decent at Derby. I'd be happy with a more experienced and vocal keeper.

Youngest average age of the squad in the Championship season 2018-19:

1) Blackburn - 24.55
2) Wigan - 24.73
3)Swansea - 24.76
4) Reading - 24.95
5) Ipswich 25.03

Ipswich were bottom, reading were 20th and in a relegation scrap until last couple of games of the season, Wigan 18th and same as Reading. Then us and swansea were decent at times, but far too inconsistent. There's a lot to be said for chucking in some experience leaders. That extra expereince from Downing and Johnson, and hopefully someone like Carson will be very good for this team, at times last season we really lacked the nouse in games, e.g.

1-0 at Bristol and losing 4-1
2-1 up at ipswich (a very poor side) and conceeding in injury time 2-2
1-0 up at home to villa and conceeding in injury time 1-1
1-0 up at Swansea and losing 4-1
2-0 up at home to brum and conceeding two late goals 2-2
2-1 up at leeds in the 91st minute and losing 3-2
2-0 up at brentford and losing 5-2
2-1 up at brum and conceeding with a few minutes to go, just after we'd taken the lead 2-2

There were a few other games were we were leading and didn't win, but these are the main ones, 20 points dropped here, in games of which we were controlling and then just fell apart, or didn't have the nouse at the end of the game to keep the lead. We finished on 60 points, even taking just half of them points that we chucked away (10) that would have put us on 70, granted that wouldn't have been enough for play offs, but in a lot of season it would see in the play offs or very near.

In line with this we should also consider who our "senior" players were last year, for the sake of clarity I will use 26 and above as senior:

Strikers:

Danny Graham (33), apps 46, great season

Midfield:

Ellliot Bennett (30), apps 42, utility player, had a good enough season in my eyes

Richie Smallwood (28), apps 33, dropped at the end of the season deservedly and not a starter anymore

Ben Gladwin (27), apps 0, seniority by age only

Cory Evans (29), apps 36, nowhere near consistent enough, not exactly a "leader"

Conway (34), apps 26, mainly a sub, good player in his day but not with us anymore

Defenders:

Rodwell (28), apps 22, not a centre half, doesn't seem to want a new contract

Mulgrew (33), apps 31, a great set piece taker but dropped at the end of the season

Downing (27), apps 4, released

Goalkeeper:

The Canadian (30), apps 5, not good enough

An interesting stat if you take out Downing, Gladwin, Conway and Rodwell our average age becomes: 23.885

Again for the sake of clarity squad list and ages taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season

A further argument could be that you remove Smallwood and The Canadian from the list as they are no longer considered first team players (I'd argue neither is Mulgrew but as we haven't had an incoming centre half I won't remove him yet) that would make our average age: 23.459

We obviously have a crying need for QUALITY experience as the older players we have now are being dropped through either an emergence in a younger, better player (Smallwood/Travis) or through not performing to an acceptable standard often enough (Mulgrew, Evans).

Also, a little tidbit for the "Dads Army" myth that is currently being thrown about the board, if you added Johnson, Downing & Gallagher into the squad (along with Smallwood and the Canadian) our average age is still only: 24.483, which is still younger than the season before and you'd argue Johnson is a starter and Downing is a bit of a like for like of Conway.

We are arguably in a much better situation now in terms of squad age/experience balance than at the end of last season. If you throw in the experience of Carson or similiar and a centre half of similar ilk you suddenly have a squad laden with both quality experience (as opposed to P. Downing or Rodwell, who are either not really experienced in this level of football or just not great role models) and a definite chance for youth to break through and establish themselves.

• Like 9

AAK/Dreams of 1995. Excellent posts, both of you.

I've no issues with the signings made so far. In fact I'm really pleased, as long as we bring in a good keeper and centre half.

It's quite clear that we were lacking a bit of nous last season. Even just focussing on the times Graham was rested/injured/was subbed last season, we struggled to make an impact up front. It didn't work out for Brereton unfortunately, but I can't see Gallagher having the same issues in regards to influencing the game. We've seen first hand what he's about. His signing in isolation instantly makes us a tougher proposition next season. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gary C said:

A new back 4 bar Leninhan is required don't think we will get 3 additions for Charlton game. And a new keeper. Depends on whether he uses loan signings to to bolster squad

I don't think we need three additions to the back four if we are being honest and I think it's unreasonable to expect this to be the case we need a cb ( possibly two) and a keeper. 

Edited by Beanie01289
  • Like 1

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

I don't think we need three additions to the back four if we are being honest and I think it's unreasonable to expect this to be the case we need a cb ( possibly two) and a keeper. 

If our full backs for the coming season our Bennett at right back and one of Bell or Williams at left back then we can forget any talk of top 6. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

Point still stands that if Bennett and Bell are full backs, our defence will be one of the poorest in the league no matter who is at CB or in goal.

• Like 3

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

If our full backs our for the coming season our Bennett at right back and one of Bell or Williams at left back then we can forget any talk of top 6. 

What you’re asking for is unrealistic. Even if we’d signed two fullbacks, a cb and a new keeper on June 1st I’d be worried about them gelling for the start of this season.

Nyambe and Bell have potential and a year on, are certainly worth starting the season with. They have some more time imo.

AAK’s post showed how many points we gifted to teams because we lacked game management / experience. Based on this I’d be delighted to go into the new season with what we’ve got plus an experienced CB and GK. 

Just now, OJRovers said:

Point still stands that if Bennett and Bell are full backs, our defence will be one of the poorest in the league no matter who is at CB or in goal.

I disagree one quality cb will help massively a goal keeper is a must but to throw in the need for two full backs this late is just setting the manager up to fail which I guess is the whole point of this

• Like 1

Just now, briansol said:

Regarding Gallagher being expensive at 5, I see Zohore going for 8!. Similar stats which makes the Gallagher fee look better

Gallagher wasn’t expensive. One season of 15+ goals will treble his valuation. Same with Brereton. That’s why managers and club owners feel comfortable investing money in them.

Not sure we can realistically expect the fullbacks to be replaced (at least permanently) during this window on top of everything else. Bell got better at the end of the season and Nyambe will be a year older and with an international tournament under his belt. Both worth persevering with for another season in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

What you’re asking for is unrealistic. Even if we’d signed two fullbacks, a cb and a new keeper on June 1st I’d be worried about them gelling for the start of this season.

Nyambe and Bell have potential and a year on, are certainly worth starting the season with. They have some more time imo.

AAK’s post showed how many points we gifted to teams because we lacked game management / experience. Based on this I’d be delighted to go into the new season with what we’ve got plus an experienced CB and GK. 

You're better off taking the risk and time to get the good enough players and allowing them time to 'gel' than persisting with players already shown to not be good enough. 

One might see a short term bedding in period followed by a longer term improvement. The other will almost certainly result in more dreadful defending and will hold back the team no matter how many forwards are collected.

Unless the defence is properly addressed both in personnel and coaching we aren't going upwards and signing a load of midfielders and forwards won't change that.

In any event we've lost a month of gelling already by not signing any defenders so far. The better managers can coach and gel numerous new players together quickly.

• Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Nyambe is a fine player but last season his progress stalled after Christmas when Mowbray for some reason decided that Bennett was our first choice right back which meant on some occasions Nyambe didn't even make the squad. Nyambe should be our first choice right back but sadly the manager doesn't agree but even if Nyambe was our 1st choice right back we would still need another player to cover him there as Bennett showed consistently last season that he is a terrible full back.

As for Bell you quite simply cannot have a full back who does not attempt to stop crosses going into the box.

As for not gelling we conceded 69 goals last season even though that was the third season that most of that defence had played together. Even if there were some teething problems (which is by no means a certainty) it would improve the team over the course of the season and beyond that.

I disagree one quality cb will help massively a goal keeper is a must but to throw in the need for two full backs this late is just setting the manager up to fail which I guess is the whole point of this

If he uses Bennett at right back and Bell or Williams at left back then he is setting himself up to fail.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Nyambe is a fine player but last season his progress stalled after Christmas when Mowbray for some reason decided that Bennett was our first choice right back which meant on some occasions Nyambe didn't even make the squad. Nyambe should be our first choice right back but sadly the manager doesn't agree but even if Nyambe was our 1st choice right back we would still need another player to cover him there as Bennett showed consistently last season that he is a terrible full back.

As for Bell you quite simply cannot have a full back who does not attempt to stop crosses going into the box.

As for not gelling we conceded 69 goals last season even though that was the third season that most of that defence had played together. Even if there were some teething problems (which is by no means a certainty) it would improve the team over the course of the season and beyond that.

If he uses Bennett at right back and Bell or Williams at left back then he is setting himself up to fail.

I agree with this mostly. I think the plan this season is to stick with Bell and Williams at Left-Back and give Sam Hart some games after his successful spell at Southend and by the looks of it a good pre-season. For me this means we definitely have to sign a centre-half and a decent right-back to put pressure on Nyambe. 

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

How is it unrealistic to expect that? The defence was horrendous last season, it doesnt just need a solitary addition. I personally felt that left back was one of the main 2 or 3 priorities to fix over the summer, I certainly dont see the potential in Bell, a full back who doesnt stop crosses coming in. Bennett will start on the other side too.

Mowbray said "defenders are coming" so its not unrealistic to expect more than one.

• Like 5

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Nyambe has to keep developing his game, not just getting caught out of position but his crossing is dire.

I'm not exagerating when I say he's the worst crosser of a ball I've seen at Ewood.

He’s better than Bennett but is massively overrated on here.

I think it will probably be Bell first choice left back with Hart as back up, and Bennett at right back with Nyambe as back up, with William's being used in the centre.

Unfortunately Bennett for some reason has to play, and I just don't see how he gets in midfield especially after signing Johnson, then having Travis & Evans as our other options in the centre, with Downing, Rothwell, Armstrong, Gallagher & Brereton as wide options. So it has to be right back where he is shoehorned in.

I just can't see us signing a full back this summer.

Edited by MarkBRFC

10 minutes ago, iSeeRed said:

I agree with this mostly. I think the plan this season is to stick with Bell and Williams at Left-Back and give Sam Hart some games after his successful spell at Southend and by the looks of it a good pre-season. For me this means we definitely have to sign a centre-half and a decent right-back to put pressure on Nyambe. 

If the plan involves Sam Hart being in the team then something has gone wrong somewhere 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

If Del is at CH then yes....Bell and Del as a left sided defensive pair would be a gift to any decent championship team.  Bennett too? ??