BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do you also believe in Bennett? And do you want to run with 'there's a player in there' all season at LB, with Derrick 'A Player Is Nowhere To Be Found At Left Back' Williams as the backup?

I can stomach us running with potential weakness on one flank, but not both.

There's also the issue that whilst you and I believe in Nyambe, it's under serious question whether TM does. He does, however, believe in Bennett, whose other positions have seen competition arrive since January. It seems likely Bennett will be first choice at RB at the start of the season and possibly much longer.

I'm sure that statistic page people posted showing just how reliable and good Raya is (was) also showed statistics which put Elliot Bennett as one of the best right wing backs in the league.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

I dont think anyone is happy with that approach, but its what happens to everyone except the super rich with transfer windows. Most of the time a ll relevant parties are holding about believing they can get better or more and so on it gos until the deadline arrives and people are forced to react and make a decision

Its not ideal, but this is modern football

Exactly.

A big example of this is a player like Ethan Ampadu. Highly rated, obviously got a big future in football, and he only got released for loan bids yesterday. If the advice of Brfcs football experts had been followed we'd have had all of our players in by now and not been able to consider, or even bid for, a player like Ampadu. I'm not saying we will get him by the way, or even are interested.

A lot of players are currently in pre-season with their clubs and are fighting for a place. Within the coming weeks (it has already begun) you'll see a group of players that become available as they haven't cut the grade at their club. With inflated prices and the ridiculousness of agent demands clubs like us simply have to wait to see what deals there are available.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm sure that statistic page people posted showing just how reliable and good Raya is (was) also showed statistics which put Elliot Bennett as one of the best right wing backs in the league.

I seem to remember that was just in one area? Could be wrong. But as Bigdogsteel said, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Bennett played in multiple positions for starters, so if his stats include his time elsewhere it's hugely misleading. Not that all stats are bollocks, you just can't hang everything on them. They're a handy guide if you know how to read them, and use your actual eyes too.

I was trying to see if I could find the stats you were talking about on that optasportspro site. Interestingly, what I did see was Lenihan was 6th in the league for winning the ball back and starting a play sequence. 4th for just centre backs. I had a look at just full backs and Bennett wasn't there. It only shows the top 10 though for each position, so not necessarily any shame in that. Liam Cooper and Pontus Jansson, both for Leeds, were the top two centre backs for this stat. Jansson's tackles won per 1000 opposition touches was head and shoulders ahead of everyone else, at 3.21. Cooper's was closest, at 2.28. Seems like Brentford have played a blinder there. Would've been very happy if we could've made that one happen.

Edit - just found Bennett by searching for wingers instead. I'm sure it's conflated his stats with his time at full back and centre mid too though, but it has him at number one (for the same stat, of winning the ball and starting a sequence of play). Tbf, as a defensive winger, he does a good job, my eyes agree. Just doesn't offer enough going forward, generally. I find him an odd one...effort wise, he is NEVER found wanting. But his quality with the ball at his feet varies wildly. Sometimes he does genuinely excellent things, other times...well.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 47er said:

So why did you say it was unrealistic to expect full-backs now then? 

You're all over the place on this one, except in one regard----anything the manager does is acceptable to you.

We really are not going all-out for promotion or even the play-offs are we because we haven't sorted out the defence and we won't? Keeper and centre-back not enough to plug all those leaks of last season.

Tony falls short but does just enough to make it look like he's trying. And you fall for it.

I’m not all over anywhere and I’m falling for nothing. I said at the start of the window that I would judge the manager at the end of the window. That hasn’t changed.

It’s unrealistic to believe that we will buy 3 first team defenders and a goalkeeper in one window and gel them into a top 6 side. You (and the other doom and gloomers) are basically backing your initial rhetoric by demanding the club buy two fullbacks, two cbs and a keeper because you know it’s unrealistic. Setting them up to fail. But aside from all that, you haven’t got a clue what is happening with the development of Nyambe, Bell, Buckley, Butterworth, Davenport, Magloire etc. There’s been very little discussed about the impact of Jonty’s promotion and what he brings in terms of providing the conduit between a group of amazing youngsters and the first team. You’re also not aware of the massive changes in analytic focus and how they are looking to develop all of the players immeasurably. 

Im fortunate to have some access to those ideas and processes. So if they see players in Nyambe and Bell then I will go with that. But let me make something clear for the last time. I’m a Rovers fan, first of all. Whilst I think Mowbray has done a good job, if he does not get a defender and a keeper who I believe are better than what we have, I will lose faith in him too. 

Please don’t mistake my positivity for naivity.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamRochina said:

Adam again scoring twice ..that's three goals and three assists this pre season with us ..he's got creativity none of our midfielders have including dack

Is that in 3 games, too? To be fair, he seems to be on fire. Need to remember the standard of the opposition and the fact it's early in pre-season though. We definitely should shift one or two midfielders before considering him though. But he does bring something different, which could be handy in certain games. If his wages are very low and we shift a couple centre mids, I wouldn't object anymore.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Do you also believe in Bennett? And do you want to run with 'there's a player in there' all season at LB, with Derrick 'A Player Is Nowhere To Be Found At Left Back' Williams as the backup?

I can stomach us running with potential weakness on one flank, but not both.

There's also the issue that whilst you and I believe in Nyambe, it's under serious question whether TM does. He does, however, believe in Bennett, whose other positions have seen competition arrive since January. It seems likely Bennett will be first choice at RB at the start of the season and possibly much longer.

My point is that IF the manager believes that Bennett is the man to play RB then he will live and die by that decision.

I know they believe in Nyambe and Bell. Again, they will live and die by that decision.

But what I think many are missing is that the manager actually WANTS to get promoted. He’s stated it publicly (and privately). This is important because people seem to think he’d somehow sabotage his own job and ambitions just to play Bennett or Mulgrew? It’s weird. Why would he do that? It makes no sense. If he’s playing them then he believes they are the best player for the job. Bearing in mind he watches them train, play etc everyday then he is much better placed to make this decision than you or me...and again, he will live and die by those decisions!!

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Always interesting when it goes quiet...running out of time for your end of the week prediction pal ?

Ach just passing on what iv been told, team are hard at it to get faces in, they wanted a gk long before now but for one reason or another they can’t quite get it over the line 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Baffling to me that some are happy for us to essentially wait until the deadline to get players in, giving them no time to bed into the squad or have any kind of pre-season getting them used to their team mates and how we set up. Just throw them in the deep end and hope for the best. 

Because we haven't got the players we needed early we are gonna have to take it to the last minute. They will then take time to settle. Not ideal situation but if the right positions are covered we can hope to have a good season

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Ach just passing on what iv been told, team are hard at it to get faces in, they wanted a gk long before now but for one reason or another they can’t quite get it over the line 

They’re expensive, it’s understandable. Plus, the clubs have to be ready to part with them.

I’m not all over anywhere and I’m falling for nothing. I said at the start of the window that I would judge the manager at the end of the window. That hasn’t changed.

It’s unrealistic to believe that we will buy 3 first team defenders and a goalkeeper in one window and gel them into a top 6 side. You (and the other doom and gloomers) are basically backing your initial rhetoric by demanding the club buy two fullbacks, two cbs and a keeper because you know it’s unrealistic. Setting them up to fail. But aside from all that, you haven’t got a clue what is happening with the development of Nyambe, Bell, Buckley, Butterworth, Davenport, Magloire etc. There’s been very little discussed about the impact of Jonty’s promotion and what he brings in terms of providing the conduit between a group of amazing youngsters and the first team. You’re also not aware of the massive changes in analytic focus and how they are looking to develop all of the players immeasurably. 

Im fortunate to have some access to those ideas and processes. So if they see players in Nyambe and Bell then I will go with that. But let me make something clear for the last time. I’m a Rovers fan, first of all. Whilst I think Mowbray has done a good job, if he does not get a defender and a keeper who I believe are better than what we have, I will lose faith in him too. 

Please don’t mistake my positivity for naivity. Maybe I remain calm because I have more information to work off but I know enough about football, footballers and managers to know what works and what doesn’t.

My point is that IF the manager believes that Bennett is the man to play RB then he will live and die by that decision.

I know they believe in Nyambe and Bell. Again, they will live and die by that decision.

But what I think many are missing is that the manager actually WANTS to get promoted. He’s stated it publicly (and privately). This is important because people seem to think he’d somehow sabotage his own job and ambitions just to play Bennett or Mulgrew? It’s weird. Why would he do that? It makes no sense. If he’s playing them then he believes they are the best player for the job. Bearing in mind he watches them train, play etc everyday then he is much better placed to make this decision than you or me...and again, he will live and die by those decisions!!

May I ask what and how you get this "access" and why for example you refer to Johnson as Jonty, out of curiosity.

Has anyone implied that the manager is purposely sabotaging his own promotion push? People are questioning decisions hes making which may, unintentionally, reduce our chances of success. You mention Mulgrew and Bennett, they are his captain and vice-captain, who hes in the last year given new deals. Neither can in my (and seemingly many others) opinion have any claim to being the best in any position, to warrant automatic selection. But it wouldn't be the first example

Whats this conspiracy about people purposely demanding too much in terms of recruiting defenders in order to use it as a stick to beat the manager with down the line? Absolute nonsense. Our defence was the 5th worst in the league last year, and I think the worst in the Football League away from home. It was embarrassingly bad,not just in need of a solitary recruit. Crucially, the manager himself said only two months ago that "defenders(plural) are coming" in a public rant at how his current defenders cannot do his job, something that only echoed his weekly interviews for months prior. So how is it unrealistic to expect that our weakest area shouldn't be massively prioritised,especially when hes just proven with a 5m striker purchase that the money is there.

Patronising undertone aside, we do know how the development of Bell is going for example, we see it week in week out. And no one has ever doubted the potential of the academy and its success.

• Like 8

It’s a concern that we haven’t addressed the goalkeeper issue as yet. The worry is that we are missing out on our top targets.

We don’t just need bodies, we need a better goalkeeper than Raya (or selling him is bonkers) and we need a better centre half than Lenihan to really push on.

Leutweiler, Bennnett, Lenihan, Williams, Bell is a back 5 I could see Mowbray selecting from what we have available... and it’s one that is relegation standard.

A Raya upgrade, Nyambe, Lenihan, a quality centre back, Bell is possible and is a back 5 which could challenge for promotion.

Fine margins, but massively important. I’ve no doubt Mowbray wants to strengthen... but whether Venky’s share his vision remains to be seen.

• Like 7

• Backroom
2 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

I dont think anyone is happy with that approach, but its what happens to everyone except the super rich with transfer windows. Most of the time a ll relevant parties are holding about believing they can get better or more and so on it gos until the deadline arrives and people are forced to react and make a decision

Its not ideal, but this is modern football

I don't disagree, but at the same time we simply can't wait until the end of the window to bring in a first choice GK & CB imo. These need to be done earlier to give them a chance of being prepared for what is a difficult first month of the season for us. I'd be okay with us waiting until later in the window to add quality in the FB positions, although if I was Mowbray I'd be looking at getting Martin Olsson in ASAP if possible.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

May I ask what and how you get this "access" and why for example you refer to Johnson as Jonty, out of curiosity.

Has anyone implied that the manager is purposely sabotaging his own promotion push? People are questioning decisions hes making which may, unintentionally, reduce our chances of success. You mention Mulgrew and Bennett, they are his captain and vice-captain, who hes in the last year given new deals. Neither can in my (and seemingly many others) opinion have any claim to being the best in any position, to warrant automatic selection. But it wouldn't be the first example

Whats this conspiracy about people purposely demanding too much in terms of recruiting defenders in order to use it as a stick to beat the manager with down the line? Absolute nonsense. Our defence was the 5th worst in the league last year, and I think the worst in the Football League away from home. It was embarrassingly bad,not just in need of a solitary recruit. Crucially, the manager himself said only two months ago that "defenders(plural) are coming" in a public rant at how his current defenders cannot do his job, something that only echoed his weekly interviews for months prior. So how is it unrealistic to expect that our weakest area shouldn't be massively prioritised,especially when hes just proven with a 5m striker purchase that the money is there.

Patronising undertone aside, we do know how the development of Bell is going for example, we see it week in week out. And no one has ever doubted the potential of the academy and its success.

You make some good points. It’s obvious that you’re balanced and rational in your opinion. 

I just tire of the constant whining from people who know very little about football. I bite my lip and scroll a lot but @47er suggesting I’m simply chomping down on Mowbrays rhetoric is ridiculous. It’s hard to listen to, especially when you do have some actual access and the guy who’s spouting clearly doesn’t. I apologise it it came across condescending but it’s the truth.

Ill say it again. He HAS to strengthen a weak defence and goalkeeper ASAP to keep my faith. Nothing has changed. But the fact he hasnt isn’t because he doesn’t want to, it’s because he’s been so far unable to...as have many managers with two weeks to go before the season!

• Like 1