BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, DE. said:

I don't disagree, but at the same time we simply can't wait until the end of the window to bring in a first choice GK & CB imo. These need to be done earlier to give them a chance of being prepared for what is a difficult first month of the season for us. I'd be okay with us waiting until later in the window to add quality in the FB positions, although if I was Mowbray I'd be looking at getting Martin Olsson in ASAP if possible.

Nonsense if it takes to the end of the window to get the players that we need in then so be it. We are nit alone in this, and it's why so many deals are rushed over the line on deadline day. To say we simply can't wait is a gross over exaggeration. 

• Backroom
Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

Nonsense if it takes to the end of the window to get the players that we need in then so be it. We are nit alone in this, and it's why so many deals are rushed over the line on deadline day. To say we simply can't wait is a gross over exaggeration. 

It's just my opinion. If you think otherwise then that's fine, we'll have to see. Personally I think we'll have a GK & CB in place well before the deadline, as Mowbray will want both players to be able to hit the ground running from the first match rather than having to spend the first few weeks bedding in and getting used to the team, the manager and how we play.

A failure to prepare is preparation to fail. In my view (and it is just an opinion) the sooner we get first team players in the better. Padding out the squad or going for a surprise target can wait until later in the window. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

You make some good points. It’s obvious that you’re balanced and rational in your opinion. 

I just tire of the constant whining from people who know very little about football. I bite my lip and scroll a lot but @47er suggesting I’m simply chomping down on Mowbrays rhetoric is ridiculous. It’s hard to listen to, especially when you do have some actual access and the guy who’s spouting clearly doesn’t. I apologise it it came across condescending but it’s the truth.

Ill say it again. He HAS to strengthen a weak defence and goalkeeper ASAP to keep my faith. Nothing has changed. But the fact he hasnt isn’t because he doesn’t want to, it’s because he’s been so far unable to...as have many managers with two weeks to go before the season!

Youve said numerous times that if Mowbray doesnt strengthen the defence you wont be happy so to be fair you have put in black and white something you are going to judge the manager on, positive or negative. 

But I dont think that its unrealistic/some conspiracy to hope for/expect more than one defender to come in considering our current defence is so bad. And crucially, that the manager made a very straightforward and clear public promise that "defenders are coming" suggesting more than one because our "defenders cant defend." (or something along those lines)

I havent seen anyone suggest that Mowbray is purposely derailing our promotion chances by playing Bennett and Mulgrew. Fact is, Mowbray wouldnt be the first or last manager to have a blind spot towards a senior player who doesnt deserve to play as much as he does.

I also think that its always going to provoke people when you infer that they "know very little about football" whilst making many cryptic references to some sort of vague expert knowledge about the inner workings of the club. For example, you mention Bell as someone the club rates. He hasnt shown anything on the pitch to suggest he can contribute to a top 6 Championship team IMO. Nowhere near. And thats where it matters.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Ach just passing on what iv been told, team are hard at it to get faces in, they wanted a gk long before now but for one reason or another they can’t quite get it over the line 

Because we've sold our number one without having a replacement lined up? So the price / wages / agent fees all go up 10% because everyone knows we're desperate to get one over the line.

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

It's just my opinion. If you think otherwise then that's fine, we'll have to see. Personally I think we'll have a GK & CB in place well before the deadline, as Mowbray will want both players to be able to hit the ground running from the first match rather than having to spend the first few weeks bedding in and getting used to the team, the manager and how we play.

A failure to prepare is preparation to fail. In my view (and it is just an opinion) the sooner we get first team players in the better. Padding out the squad or going for a surprise target can wait until later in the window. 

Yeah in a perfect world we would get all business done nice and early so all new players can bed in and settle. But it's not the end of the world if a few quality players sign on deadline day or just before 

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

You make some good points. It’s obvious that you’re balanced and rational in your opinion. 

I just tire of the constant whining from people who know very little about football. I bite my lip and scroll a lot but @47er suggesting I’m simply chomping down on Mowbrays rhetoric is ridiculous. It’s hard to listen to, especially when you do have some actual access and the guy who’s spouting clearly doesn’t. I apologise it it came across condescending but it’s the truth.

Ill say it again. He HAS to strengthen a weak defence and goalkeeper ASAP to keep my faith. Nothing has changed. But the fact he hasnt isn’t because he doesn’t want to, it’s because he’s been so far unable to...as have many managers with two weeks to go before the season!

And you are a football expert? Talk about condescending. I probably have as much football knowledge as you. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Roverinbelfast said:

Yeah in a perfect world we would get all business done nice and early so all new players can bed in and settle. But it's not the end of the world if a few quality players sign on deadline day or just before 

In fairness I can't remember the last time we signed "a few quality players" towards the end of any recent window. We signed Danny Graham(loan) on Jan 20 in the 15/16 window. We got Mulgrew on the last day of the summer window in 16/17. At a stretch you could include Emnes although for me he isn't in the same bracket. Reed came in on August 27 last summer. That's about it as far as quality first teamers since the 15/16 season at least. 

Graham's permanent signing was July 1, same for Rothwell. Dack was June 27. Armstrong was Jan 9. 

Based on past history we can expect one potentially decent signing at the end of the window, but otherwise our serious business tends to be done before then. Could change this season, but it wouldn't be consistent with how the club normally operates in the transfer window.

Prem league spent £1.2bn last summer. Spent £600m so far this year.

take £100k a week wage, delay a transfer by 5 weeks, save half a million.

transfers are getting later each year because there’s a huge cost saving. Whilst we aren’t dabbling in those numbers, budgets and wages are scaleable. 

Everyone chill out a bit. Plenty of time left.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Ach just passing on what iv been told, team are hard at it to get faces in, they wanted a gk long before now but for one reason or another they can’t quite get it over the line 

Appreciate the info, patience needed, not bothered if it’s last day, times have changed, we have to get the best deal for us, are we still negotiating with the same player you think we are after?

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

And you are a football expert? Talk about condescending. I probably have as much football knowledge as you. 

We all want Rovers to do well. I'm frustrated by lack of additions but I'll get behind whoever's is on the pitch come August 9th when deadlines gone

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I havent seen anyone suggest that Mowbray is purposely derailing our promotion chances by playing Bennett and Mulgrew. Fact is, Mowbray wouldnt be the first or last manager to have a blind spot towards a senior player who doesnt deserve to play as much as he does.

I don't think it is sabotage (clearly), I'm just genuinely worried that Mowrbay is dull enough and thinks that Bennett, Williams, Smallwood, Mulgrew + Leutwiler etc = Promotion (or even puts up a challenge).

Every season teams get promoted and win titles with starters who should be nowhere near that level (theoretically) and are swiftly sold back to the Championship. Maybe Bennett etc are those in our squad... personally I don't see it.

Also,

? Just vomited in my mouth seeing a Rovers team sheet on July 17th 2019 with "Smallwood (c)" on it. I worry that we've been too relaxed sleeping on the assumption that Smallwood would be getting sold. 

Don't get me wrong, the team tonight is Smallwood + 10 Under 21 year olds, so who else would be captain... but still ?

Edited by Angry_Pirate

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

May I ask what and how you get this "access" and why for example you refer to Johnson as Jonty, out of curiosity.

Has anyone implied that the manager is purposely sabotaging his own promotion push? People are questioning decisions hes making which may, unintentionally, reduce our chances of success. You mention Mulgrew and Bennett, they are his captain and vice-captain, who hes in the last year given new deals. Neither can in my (and seemingly many others) opinion have any claim to being the best in any position, to warrant automatic selection. But it wouldn't be the first example

Whats this conspiracy about people purposely demanding too much in terms of recruiting defenders in order to use it as a stick to beat the manager with down the line? Absolute nonsense. Our defence was the 5th worst in the league last year, and I think the worst in the Football League away from home. It was embarrassingly bad,not just in need of a solitary recruit. Crucially, the manager himself said only two months ago that "defenders(plural) are coming" in a public rant at how his current defenders cannot do his job, something that only echoed his weekly interviews for months prior. So how is it unrealistic to expect that our weakest area shouldn't be massively prioritised,especially when hes just proven with a 5m striker purchase that the money is there.

Patronising undertone aside, we do know how the development of Bell is going for example, we see it week in week out. And no one has ever doubted the potential of the academy and its success.

You’re correct about our defence needing a lot of work if we are to be competitive next season. However I have to agree with Paul that there are lots of contributors to this board who are pushing a line that Mowbray does not want to get rovers promoted and in fact sees the club as some sort of retirement fund.

I agree that that it’s a ridiculous suggestion and I can’t be bothered looking up the posts in question, but maybe those who believe that could remind us of their point of view?

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not all over anywhere and I’m falling for nothing. I said at the start of the window that I would judge the manager at the end of the window. That hasn’t changed.

It’s unrealistic to believe that we will buy 3 first team defenders and a goalkeeper in one window and gel them into a top 6 side. You (and the other doom and gloomers) are basically backing your initial rhetoric by demanding the club buy two fullbacks, two cbs and a keeper because you know it’s unrealistic. Setting them up to fail. But aside from all that, you haven’t got a clue what is happening with the development of Nyambe, Bell, Buckley, Butterworth, Davenport, Magloire etc. There’s been very little discussed about the impact of Jonty’s promotion and what he brings in terms of providing the conduit between a group of amazing youngsters and the first team. You’re also not aware of the massive changes in analytic focus and how they are looking to develop all of the players immeasurably. 

Im fortunate to have some access to those ideas and processes. So if they see players in Nyambe and Bell then I will go with that. But let me make something clear for the last time. I’m a Rovers fan, first of all. Whilst I think Mowbray has done a good job, if he does not get a defender and a keeper who I believe are better than what we have, I will lose faith in him too. 

Please don’t mistake my positivity for naivity.

The key word is "trying" to make us top 6 and its absolutely clear that we won't make it without an overhaul of the defence. Which, you seem to have forgotten, the manager foreshadowed.

And don't say "I"m a Rovers fan, first of all" but accuse me of wanting Rovers to fail. "doom and gloomers" for me and other posters unspecified, but merely "positivity" for you.

I'll stick with my analysis I think.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Pardon me for not being ITK but just a mere supporter. Obviously unfit to argue with you. Suits me.

Edited by 47er
Missed a full stop out.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Nixon tweeting that West Brom in for Ajayi from Rotherham

Seems like one we could do well to try for (from what I've heard rather than seen). We supposedly rate him too, and wasn't the price only about 2 mill? Seems fair.

46 minutes ago, unsall said:

Appreciate the info, patience needed, not bothered if it’s last day, times have changed, we have to get the best deal for us, are we still negotiating with the same player you think we are after?

Yes, I’m still hopefull by Friday. Other team is holding it up not rovers , they have made a few changes in the summer so harder dealing with variety of people 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yes, I’m still hopefull by Friday. Other team is holding it up not rovers , they have made a few changes in the summer so harder dealing with variety of people 

• Like 1

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Even more convinced it's Carson now ?