BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I think we need a pacey winger, a tall defender and a brown eyed midfielder.

But our focus should definitely be on a pacey winger. A slow attacker might be worth a shout, mix it up. Have I mentioned we need a pacey winger?

MarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Just reading the last few pages. Is it fair to say that a lot of you think we'll have no trouble holding onto Dack this summer? I still have the feeling that his situation will comprise the lion's share of drama in the coming months.

The fact Nixon hasn't been trying to sell him means his name must not have been circulated by the usual suspects......yet !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think we need a pacey winger, a tall defender and a brown eyed midfielder.

But our focus should definitely be on a pacey winger. A slow attacker might be worth a shout, mix it up. Have I mentioned we need a pacey winger?

MarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauerMarcusMaddisonPatrickBauer

From Mowbrays last comments Rothwell will not be starting in the middle, so guessing he  will be out on the wing. We then have Chapman & Arma all with pace. Don't think a winger is needed tbh. Defenders and CM yes.

• J*B featured this topic
14 hours ago, neophox said:

Marcus Maddison and Patrick Bauer may be Rovers targets.

Haha is that Maddison still at Peterborough? I can't wait for another summer of seeing his name on every other post.

I think Bauer might depend on whether Charlton go up In the play offs or not, if he signs I imagine he will be used when Lenihan is out, and not a partner for him.

I'd say GK, CH, RB, LB, CM & ST are the positions that we need to sign, with 4/5 of them being good enough to come straight into the side instead of sitting on the bench for 6 months "learning the Mowbray" way.

14 hours ago, neophox said:

Marcus Maddison and Patrick Bauer may be Rovers targets.

Is this something you've heard or are you just speculating? 

Bauer is a given really, our interested in him has been well documented. 

Edited by Neal

After years and years of watching what seems like dozens of other Championship clubs play the FFP rules like a puppeteer and still have no promotions or sanctions to show for it, rumours we are to make a decent splash in transfers this summer.

Reading between the lines and looking ahead to next years FFP after the spending last summer and the L1 wages we kept on in 2017/18:

"If you're driving at 33mph in a 30 and on the boarderline of getting a fine... you might as well be driving at 44mph and earn your punishment."

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 2

You could invert the question and ask "who would most supporters want to start most games next season" and I only come up with 4 names - Lenihan, Travis, Rothwell, Dack.

Outside of those 4 it's a really mixed bag. Grahams getting on - if he can keep it up great, but I don't think we can rely on it. Bell, Nyambe, Chapman, Armstrong, Raya all could be good Championship players but are learning atm and have mistakes in them. Williams and Brereton have had poor seasons up until the last 4 games or so. Think its risky to depend on them too. Outside of that it's really a case of the players not being good enough.

I would say we need to compliment those core 4 players with around another 4 solid and high quality players who look destined for promotion. The others in the squad can fit around that core eight.

We'd be better off getting 4 really good players rather than 6 or 8 modest upgrades. I don't think we have the capability to complete more than 4 quality signings.

So if I picked 4 roles it would be CF, CB, LB, RB. Means we would have to persist with Raya and Leut, and hope Davenport or another youth player comes through in CM. AM and winger I think we are sufficiently covered as you can play learning players in those roles.

Priority has to be defence as it's been really poor.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

• Guest changed the title to Summer Transfer Window 2019
57 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

After years and years of watching what seems like dozens of other Championship clubs play the FFP rules like a puppeteer and still have no promotions or sanctions to show for it, rumours we are to make a decent splash in transfers this summer.

Reading between the lines and looking ahead to next years FFP after the spending last summer and the L1 wages we kept on in 2017/18:

"If you're driving at 33mph in a 30 and on the boarderline of getting a fine... you might as well be driving at 44mph and earn your punishment."

Or we could  go down the Frank Lampards Derby County fully approved by the Football League route just to be on the safe side

sell the Ewood catering contract to Venky's Vietnam Ltd for 30 million

or Brockhall to Venky's Singapore limited for 50 million and they can lease it back to the club for a quid a year, with a buy back clause of a fiver after three years

We would be well within FFP guidlines

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 8

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Or we could  go down the Frank Lampards Derby County fully approved by the Football League route just to be on the safe side

sell the Ewood catering contract to Venky's Vietnam Ltd for 30 million

or Brockhall to Venky's Singapore limited for 50 million and they can lease it back to the club for a quid a year, with a buy back clause of a fiver after three years

We would be well within FFP guidlines

Good old Football League have effectively given the go-ahead to owners to 'sell' stadia to other companies for a hefty profit to allow them to spend heavily and dodge FFP sanctions!

Some way of 'protecting' clubs against overspending - encourage owners to sell off assets to raise cash!

Birmingham have 'sponsored' their training ground and stadium. I'd have no objection to Brockhall becoming known as the 'Venkys training centre' if it meant they could chuck another few million in through the back door.

• Like 2

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mowbray's Signings to-date

Bradley Dack
Richie Smallwood
Adam Armstrong

Harrison Reed

Paul Downing
Marcus Antonsson
Mitchel Candlin
Paul Caddis
Kasey Palmer
Jack Payne
Rekeem Harper

Dominic Samuel
Ben Brereton
Sam Hart
Amari'i Bell
Jack Rodwell
Joe Rothwell
Harry Chapman
Brad Lyons
Jacob Davenport
Joe Nuttall
Jayson Leutwiler
Ben Gladwin
Charlie Albinson

Those in green are who I would class as successful signings. Those in grey are players who have been in and out the door. Those in black are basically the rest - to put it kindly, the jury is still out.

What does everyone make of that list? Does Mowbray need to be bolder in this window and bring in players who are going to oust the "maybe's"? Has Mowbray simply been doing a squad-building process since our transfer embargo under Bowyer? Or will Mowbray keep a tight ship and allow some of those signings a chance?

Doesnt make good reading. I'd probably give antonsson a green just because he scored some important goals and contributed enough to our promotion but I'm glad we never signed him if that makes sense. Possibly downing for the same reasons. Not the long term solutions we need but played important parts to get us where we are

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

Does not make good reading. Of the four in green, Reed is leaving and Smallwood had one good season in Div 1 and is not good enough anymore.

Of the middle group in grey, he should have got more than he did from Palmer. Downing was an OK standby.

Of the last group in black, out of 13 only Rothwell can be deemed a success, though we are looking to Chapman, Davenport and Brereton for next season. That's a poor return.

On the basis of all that I wouldn't give him a job.

Obviously more to running a club than transfers but that list is not a pretty sight.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Doesnt make good reading. I'd probably give antonsson a green just because he scored some important goals and contributed enough to our promotion but I'm glad we never signed him if that makes sense. Possibly downing for the same reasons. Not the long term solutions we need but played important parts to get us where we are

I agree with that. But i'd also include Rothwell and Chapman on the green list.

Think we've all seen what Rothwell can do since he's been starting and Chapman earned us some good point last season from the bench and should be an important option for us going forward due to his pace and trickery. The only question mark hanging over him is his injury record, but as far as I can recall, he's stayed injury free since resigning, despite only getting game time with the u23's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Bradley Dack
Richie Smallwood
Adam Armstrong

Harrison Reed

Paul Downing
Marcus Antonsson
Mitchel Candlin
Paul Caddis
Kasey Palmer
Jack Payne
Rekeem Harper

Dominic Samuel
Ben Brereton
Sam Hart
Amari'i Bell
Jack Rodwell
Joe Rothwell
Harry Chapman
Brad Lyons
Jacob Davenport
Joe Nuttall
Jayson Leutwiler
Ben Gladwin
Charlie Albinson

Those in green are who I would class as successful first-team signings. Those in grey are players who have been in and out the door (Reed will be on that list soon). Those in black are basically the rest - however you want to put it (jury is still out, the jury has spoken, haven't seen enough of them, not ready for the first-team, etc.).

What does everyone make of that list? Does Mowbray need to be bolder in this window and bring in players who are going to oust the "maybe's"? Has Mowbray simply been doing a squad-building process since our transfer embargo under Bowyer? Or will Mowbray keep a tight ship and allow some of those signings a chance?

I would certainly move Rothwell, Chapman, Brereton, Nuttall and Bell out of the list they are on

Hit and miss, but more positive than negative. Also generally young players, the likes of Davenport and Lyons came very highly rated. 

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

None of those you have mentioned have had a positively sustained impact on the first team. Rothwell has show what he is capable of in recent games, but let's not get carried away with him just yet; he needs more time in the team before he could be classed as a successful signing in my view.

Mowbray seems to like signing players who he believes have potential. Players like Cadd--- I mean Lyons, Nuttall, and so on. That's fine for squad-building, but it doesn't do a great deal of good for the present moment and needs.

I hope we get the ball rolling early in this window, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do. Our best window under Mowbray in terms of players who slotted nicely into the first-team was his first one - two years ago. I think the air is getting a bit stale down at Brockhall.

No, they haven't had an impact yet, but that doesn't automatically make them bad signings. 

From his first signing Mowbray has improved the squad, not made it worse. That is an ongoing process. A big summer coming up for sure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Bradley Dack
Richie Smallwood
Adam Armstrong

Harrison Reed

Paul Downing
Marcus Antonsson
Mitchel Candlin
Paul Caddis
Kasey Palmer
Jack Payne
Rekeem Harper

Dominic Samuel
Ben Brereton
Sam Hart
Amari'i Bell
Jack Rodwell
Joe Rothwell
Harry Chapman
Brad Lyons
Jacob Davenport
Joe Nuttall
Jayson Leutwiler
Ben Gladwin
Charlie Albinson

Those in green are who I would class as successful first-team signings. Those in grey are players who have been in and out the door (Reed will be on that list soon). Those in black are basically the rest - however you want to put it (jury is still out, the jury has spoken, haven't seen enough of them, not ready for the first-team, etc.).

I thought Marcus Antonsson was key to our promotion in the end. Without him I don't think we could've done it. Won the game at Bury for us, scored some key goals and offered something a little different down that left hand side. He could easily do a job in the Championship for me.

I think if we're looking at goalkeeper cover for David Raya, we couldn't go far wrong with Karl Darlow at Newcastle. Older head sure, but as a 2nd fiddle keeper, he'd bring much needed experience to a dressing room that could be without a Craig Conway for next season.

He's not getting any game time at Newcastle, and I think his contract only has a year left. He's not played consistently for a few years but if we are to let Jayson Leutwiler go, he's a perfect challenger for Raya IMO.

614218997_download(23).jpeg.7737a79f434d8a68cd5f67b745203711.jpeg

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Except that's not what I said... I suggested that the jury might still be out on them, particularly the younger ones. However, to satisfy the bad signings category, I doubt many would deny Caddis, Samuel, and Bell being in there.

You are very generousPaul Downing
Marcus Antonsson
Mitchel Candlin
Paul Caddis
Kasey Palmer
Jack Payne
Rekeem Harper

You are being very polite or very generous.

I would have no hesitation in adding Hart, Gladwin, Nuttall, Harper, Palmer and Samuel to the list of bad signings. Certainly, there are far too many of them.

There are a couple I have never heard of. Are they the future? Probably not lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

None of those you have mentioned have had a positively sustained impact on the first team. Rothwell has shown what he is capable of in recent games, but let's not get carried away with him just yet; he needs more time in the team before he could be classed as a successful signing in my view.

Rothwell cost something like 200k. The only reason he hasn't been playing a lot sooner is TM's stubborn approach. He now seems to be seen as a starter. He's been a successful signing.

I'd say Nuttall has been successful too, as he was free and has had easily more impact than he was expected to.

30 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I think if we're looking at goalkeeper cover for David Raya, we couldn't go far wrong with Karl Darlow at Newcastle. Older head sure, but as a 2nd fiddle keeper, he'd bring much needed experience to a dressing room that could be without a Craig Conway for next season.

He's not getting any game time at Newcastle, and I think his contract only has a year left. He's not played consistently for a few years but if we are to let Jayson Leutwiler go, he's a perfect challenger for Raya IMO.

614218997_download(23).jpeg.7737a79f434d8a68cd5f67b745203711.jpeg

Good shout that. Still only 28 which is pretty young for a goalkeeper.. He’s been unlucky that Newcastle brought that Dubravka in who’s been very solid for them. Outside the top six I’d say he’s right up there as one of the best... Just had a gander at out of contract players and I saw that Danny Williams is out of contract. Impressed for Reading over a few years in the championship and was part of their side who got beat off Huddersfield in the play-off final. Huddersfield then signed him and he played in over 20 games in their first season in the prem before falling out of favour this season. He’s a big guy who gets stuck in but is also good technically, USA international. Just a suggestion, decent player.

10 minutes ago, Butty said:

Good shout that. Still only 28 which is pretty young for a goalkeeper.. He’s been unlucky that Newcastle brought that Dubravka in who’s been very solid for them. Outside the top six I’d say he’s right up there as one of the best... Just had a gander at out of contract players and I saw that Danny Williams is out of contract. Impressed for Reading over a few years in the championship and was part of their side who got beat off Huddersfield in the play-off final. Huddersfield then signed him and he played in over 20 games in their first season in the prem before falling out of favour this season. He’s a big guy who gets stuck in but is also good technically, USA international. Just a suggestion, decent player.

Neither look like pacey wingers to me

Not many good big commanding keepers around these days I don't think unless you are prepared to gamble millions.

One thing England was a good breeding ground for down the leagues used to be bread and butter 6ft plus keepers and similar no nonsense centre defenders,  not any more it seems.

Been a bit spoiled for keepers in my time of watching Rovers, Gennoe, Mimms, Flowers, Filan, Friedel, Robinson then of course we were struck with Venkys/Kean/Anderson/Assorted agencies and aliases and nothing at all has been quite the same.   All those mentioned had their little flaws not many are perfect but they all got more right than they did wrong. Get the basics right, eliminate, keep to the bare minimum the mistakes that inevitably happen now and again and the fancy stuff second.  Nobody moans at a keeper when he lets one in the top corner but everyone does when he's hesitating or ball watching.

Raya to be fair has only just had his second full season and the first was a division below so I don't think he's gone backwards it's just the quality has stepped up whilst he's probably remained the same. Learning on the job and paying the price for not being loaned cutting his teeth properly when he was sat on Rovers bench for a season or two. Certainly wouldn't want rid of him but would feel better if he had real competition but sadly I can see them going down the cheap route and giving JL another contract and imo that's why Mowbray is playing him so he'll trigger another year.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

Yes. I have watched his performances. I like to watch Dack on the following premise:

Pretend you've never seen him before. It's his first game and he's a new signing. At the end think, is he good? For under a million pounds is he worth it?

I am yet to come to the conclusion that he wasn't, after any game, after any "bad" performance. And that's after watching every home game and half our away games in person. For me, anyone who could truly use that method and come to the conclusion after games that he wasn't worth it is just cynical.

Up to December I would agree with you, after December I would disagree on the vast majority of games. I cannot comment on Swansea away as I missed that game. Rather than squabble over our personal opinions, let's wait till the close season and see how many bids come in for him.

Edited by rigger