BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Surely the ability to debate shouldn’t be age specific?

Social media has created echo chambers where you largely ‘follow’ people with the same views as you .

Apart from being Rovers fans, this place is a free for all when it comes to views, ergo some people seem to struggle to accept ‘negativity’, or ‘positivity’ for that matter, as it differs from their own viewpoint.

Post of the day !

A good keeper and centre half will unite us all though.....for an hour !

• Like 1

• Backroom

Might there be an element of rather than 'blaming Raya' in terms of saving the ball, maybe they believe a more vocal, organising goalkeeper would solve a few defensive problems in one go:

Goalkeeper (rather than defender) can see more of the pitch = defence more organised = more focused  closing down and blocks = fewer saves necessary and more possession gained.

We always had a knack of looking disorganised last season even when playing well.

Meanwhile through Magloire and loaning AdCityBoy we'll have more pace and height available at centre back. Even more important if going with a back 3.

21 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Don’t bloody need two goalies, get a number one in and two defenders.

Mowbary's new formation 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Don't get me started on all that complete bollocks ?

You've touched on something there though there definitely is an element of crossover from social media style v long term old school forum style posters resulting in a few regular clashes.  There's an arrogance and faux offence that can be got away with on other platforms that can't be on these type of forums.

Agreed. Probably even more so since the official club messageboard was shut down.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

'Millennial' is just this generation's middle-aged people's attempt to talk down and ridicule the societal progress this generation's youth want.

Not true. It is the accepted academic and sociological title for that generation, I.e reaching adulthood/teenage years at the start of the 21st century. Generation Z being the generation underneath.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mike E said:

'Millennial' is just this generation's middle-aged people's attempt to talk down and ridicule the societal progress this generation's youth want.

Imagine thinking a movement to stop systematic racism against non-white (#BlackLivesMatter) and stop unnecessary sexualisation and harassment of women (#MeToo) are worthy of ridicule.

No doubt I'll be the same when I'm old and grumpy in 20 years too. Human nature to not like change.

Imaging thinking the phrase “black lives matter” would bring anything other than resentment or that justice is something to be meted out by social media and not the courts.

All lives matter FFS.

Look around, the world is going to shit and people still think that these divisive ‘movements’ are a good thing. The “you can’t say that” generation are the reason we have Trump and Brexit.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Not true. It is the accepted academic and sociological title for that generation. Generation Z being the generation underneath.

I've never heard someone over 40 use the word Millennial without being sarcastic, however. It's what that word means to them (rather like snowflake).

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Imaging thinking the phrase “black lives matter” would bring anything other than resentment or that justice is something to be meted out by social media and not the courts.

All lives matter FFS.

Look around, the world is going to shit and people still think that these divisive ‘movements’ are a good thing. The “you can’t say that” generation are the reason we have Trump and Brexit.

I bet you think Feminism is only about women, too. BlackLivesMatter is ABOUT all lives mattering.

• Like 2

Just now, Mike E said:

I've never heard someone over 40 use the word Millennial without being sarcastic, however. It's what that word means to them (rather like snowflake).

Well I have. Across media, academia, government publications and so on.

Snowflake yes, pejorative. Millennial is the accepted term for that mid 80s to late 90s generation, if it is used sarcastically by people you know or not.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t believe the gk situation is dragging into next week, I know mowbray is tearing his hair out at the length is taking to get deals done, not been an easy window by any stretch. Can’t give the keeper name but it was my understanding it was all but tied up Wednesday. Haven’t been given a reason for delay 

Can you give the name by private message then? If the deal happens then your credibility will be at an all time high ? put your neck on the chopping board matey. Plus you may as well just put it on here, I’ve never heard of a transfer deal not happen due too someone posting about it on a bloody messageboard ?

• Like 3

Just now, Butty said:

Can you give the name by private message then? If the deal happens then your credibility will be at an all time high ? put your neck on the chopping board matey. Plus you may as well just put it on here, I’ve never heard of a transfer deal not happen due too someone posting about it on a bloody messageboard ?

Assombalonga

• Like 2

Just now, Mike E said:

I bet you think Feminism is only about women, too. BlackLivesMatter is ABOUT all lives mattering.

By definition it isn’t. Sorry mate but this one will definitely push my buttons if we continue.

Let’s not even start with ‘modern feminism’.

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

All lives matter FFS.

Black Lives Matter means that black people's lives matter just as much as any other. It means "all lives matter", and points out that black people's lives have been undervalued. And that extends to the courts. Come on. Either try to understand it, or don't complain about it.

Also, it's pretty ridiculous to say that younger generations are the reason we have Brexit when there is a distinct correlation between areas with a younger demographic and voting remain.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

The modern fan has a championship manager approach to everything where you just buy buy buy to improve. Improvement can often come within with good coaching and players improving. Its not the sexy approach but why employ coaches etc if thats not the aim. A few players improve a bit and a young player or 2 steps up and you can improve a hell of a lot and not spend a penny

Of course you can bring players through and improve players, but we have been working with Mulgrew, Lenihan and Williams for quite a while now and its blatantly obvious they can't attack balls in the air. We may find in time that we can promote from within and solve that problem. However the frustration for some is that it appears we are bringing in bodies in positions we didn't need, whilst we have neglected the centre half problem for 4 previous transfer windows and so far this one.

If we go into the season after the transfer window shuts with a centre back pairing from the above 3 players I have named it will be incredibly poor, as we will concede the same type of goals again and again like we did last year. If you are unsure of the problem watch the Leeds injury time winner again, or the first goal we conceded last season at Ipswich. A new keeper isn't solving that aerial problem.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can’t believe the gk situation is dragging into next week, I know mowbray is tearing his hair out at the length is taking to get deals done, not been an easy window by any stretch. Can’t give the keeper name but it was my understanding it was all but tied up Wednesday. Haven’t been given a reason for delay 

It's been 'all but tied up' for weeks. There's a stumbling block that needs to be ironed out or approved in Pune .

• Backroom

Well I have. Across media, academia, government publications and so on.

Snowflake yes, pejorative. Millennial is the accepted term for that mid 80s to late 90s generation, if it is used sarcastically by people you know or not.

What's funny is that a lot of people actually don't know what period Millennial applies to. They assume because of the name it's the post-2000 generation, even though that is generally classified as Gen Z. A lot of people I've seen use Millenial derogatorily are by definition Millenials themselves! I believe it encompasses anyone born between 1981-1996. 

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

It's been 'all but tied up' for weeks. There's a stumbling block that needs to be ironed out or approved in Pune .

In this instance it wouldn't surprise me if, for once, the owners are not the problem. Mowbray assumedly knows his budget and was able to get SG's £5m transfer over the line without any obvious problems. We don't know if he has restrictions on how he can use his budget (eg. more available for young attacking players) but you have to assume he knows what he has to work with. More than likely we've dawdled too long on targets, other clubs have registered an interest and the process has slowed down as a result - especially if other clubs can offer better wages than us. It's ideally why you have a replacement pretty much lined up before letting a first teamer with no obvious replacement in the squad go.

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Agreed. Probably even more so since the official club messageboard was shut down.

I was going to mention that but being all modern i didn't want to offend anyone !

These comments are something to judge Mowbray on, from the end of the season. I wholehartedly agree, our current defence isnt good enough at this level.

He said that defenders are coming and he said the other night that hes still got a budget so I would like to think that he meant it and the City kid is one of a few, definitely need a left back aswell, plus someone with more experience. If we get to the Charlton game/deadline with only the City kid, id be incredibly dissapointed in the manager. If he completes the overhaul he identified in May, then ill be excited at pushing on up the league. We can only wait and see. The defenders we already have, Williams, Mulgrew, Bell, Bennett, they are still not good enough as at 2 months ago.

Screenshot_20190720-114220_Twitter.jpg

• Like 6

We don’t need any more defenders Roversfan99 - couple lads on Twitter saying our defence will be sorted once we get a GK as ‘Johnson in front of Williams and Lenihan will sort us out’.

Guess they didn’t see our inability to defend set pieces and crosses last season then. Some Rovers fans can’t be helped.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

By definition it isn’t. Sorry mate but this one will definitely push my buttons if we continue.

Let’s not even start with ‘modern feminism’.

As you say, we'll probably just end up disagreeing to ever more extreme extents. But I do hope you consider why such movements spring up. I don't believe it is ever through a sense of entitlement, but because the world treats certain demographics worse than others, often without just cause.

Back to transfers (phew).

• Like 4