Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, arbitro said:

I think the notion of what you are saying is pretty much correct but for me there are far too many variables in to football to plan ahead like that. Loss of form, injury, falling out with the hierarchy and other things could seriously affect any player and see their value plummet. Of course the converse is that having a really good season could see values increase.

I really hope that we are not planning for FFP by effectively rolling a dice.

Of course there are variables. But I didn’t even mention Travis, Buckley, Lenihan, JRC etc who could also command big fees. 

As for rolling the dice? Wow, they literally cannot win. If you / we want them to have the slightest chance of going up they have to spend money. How else are they going to generate the cash to stay within ffp? They are simply trying to grow as many assets as possible to offset the risk. Oppositely, we go back to living within our means, struggling to 15k fans through the gates and languish in the lower part of the championship?

Q - How many other clubs with similar gates and income and no parachute money are spending like we are and not selling their Crown Jewels every summer? 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Best laid plans and all that. Lot of assumptions in that post, especially if the form of one player is our future financial fall back as a club.

so we hope Dack continues in decent form, doesn’t suffer an injury and the other players actually do ‘kick on’. 

Jesus mate, how is it humanly possible to generate any decent money in football other than sales or promotion to the PL? It’s risk and reward! What would you prefer we do? Reduce our budget to Wigan’s and hope we don’t go down every year? 

Not sure why you are rowing with me and arbito. Nobody disagrees that we have to trade.

However, in the next 12 months, only Dack has the reputation to pull in a BIG fee. So it would need to be a different approach if his form fell of a cliff. I.e a sell off several of our better players, then we do ‘languish in the bottom end of the Championship’ anyway. Do you remember the fag end of the Bowyer era? The embargo and a succession of our best players gone, as was us knocking on the door of the top 6.

It is what it is, this being the madcap division it is, but it’s a risky business  projecting the sale of one player 12 months in advance as a strategy to avoid FFP.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, 47er said:

Then you are deliberately setting up TM to fail!!!----according to your very own words on this MB.

Moreover you said it was impossible to do this before the window ended!!

Nope, I said you wouldn’t get a full new defence (bar Lenihan) and two keepers by the end of the window. And you won’t! 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Q - How many other clubs with similar gates and income and no parachute money are spending like we are and not selling their Crown Jewels every summer? 

Other clubs do it differently. They might not commit to as large fees as we have with Brereton and Gallagher but when they sign a player they do so for that player to immediately improve their team, not as a 'project'. They might sell someone every 12 months to offset it but then reinvest.

Last time we moved in a 3 season cycle. We spent good money and signed quality under Bowyer, let it grow and then slashed and burned in no time at all, refused to reinvest anything and ended up getting relegated. So we have done the selling part - bringing in more cash than most clubs will have done at this level - we just did it all at once with no ability to strengthen after it. You must be confident in Venkys if you don't think similar could happen next summer.

Just now, JHRover said:

I thought the plan was to be promoted by next summer?

In the interests of clarity, the aim is top 6 - but as you said there’s many variables so it’s absolutely imperative that you have a plan to offset the risk of not doing so? 

In the interests of clarity, the aim is top 6 - but as you said there’s many variables so it’s absolutely imperative that you have a plan to offset the risk of not doing so? 

Why did Waggott say we were within FFP parameters if there's now a risk and we'll have to sell Dack next summer to comply?

Just now, JHRover said:

Other clubs do it differently. They might not commit to as large fees as we have with Brereton and Gallagher but when they sign a player they do so for that player to immediately improve their team, not as a 'project'. They might sell someone every 12 months to offset it but then reinvest.

Last time we moved in a 3 season cycle. We spent good money and signed quality under Bowyer, let it grow and then slashed and burned in no time at all, refused to reinvest anything and ended up getting relegated. So we have done the selling part - bringing in more cash than most clubs will have done at this level - we just did it all at once with no ability to strengthen after it. You must be confident in Venkys if you don't think similar could happen next summer.

That’s the plan. But bearing in mind they’re pumping £17m a season of their own money then I guess it’s their prerogative what they do?

What's the situation with Charlie Adam? 

Just now, Pedro said:

What's the situation with Charlie Adam? 

In talks with Blackpool.

Just now, JHRover said:

Why did Waggott say we were within FFP parameters if there's now a risk and we'll have to sell Dack next summer to comply?

We are currently within. There’s more to selling a player than ffp though. What about the player? My belief is that they’ve asked Dack to stay this season, if we go up he gets PL football and if we don’t they’ll sell him to a PL team. Either way Rovers don’t lose out because you’ve got a seriously motivated Bradley Dack!!

That’s the plan. But bearing in mind they’re pumping £17m a season of their own money then I guess it’s their prerogative what they do?

So you're happy or comfortable with the plan which last time saw us end up in League One?

Just seen this on skysports:

08:29

BLACKBURN IN WALTON TALKS

Blackburn are in talks to sign goalkeeper Christian Walton on a season-long loan from Brighton, Sky Sports News understands.

The 23-year-old has spent the past two seasons on loan at Wigan, helping them win the League One title during his first campaign at the DW Stadium.

Blackburn have been looking to bolster their goalkeeping options after allowing David Raya to join Brentford.

Walton, who has been capped by England at U19, U20 and U21 level, has two years remaining on his contract at the Amex Stadium.

Just now, JHRover said:

So you're happy or comfortable with the plan which last time saw us end up in League One?

Haha - It’s completely out of my control either way mate! If I owned the club, had the money and the inclination to spend £17m a season of my own money then I’d feel more confident! 

Venkys are behaving very different to the Bowyer era imo and I think they trust Waggott and TM. But who knows, they might decided to cash in their chips at anytime!? Could you blame them? 

Sorry lads, I know I am possibly asking something that has already been answered. But is it true to say that the expected in-comings for today are Walton and Adarabioyo?

And then, (possibly later this week?) we should be welcoming the experienced keeper and centre-half?

Just now, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Sorry lads, I know I am possibly asking something that has already been answered. But is it true to say that the expected in-comings for today are Walton and Adarabioyo?

And then, (possibly later this week?) we should be welcoming the experienced keeper and centre-half?

Yes, I think that’s the plan

Walton and Adarabioyo set to sign today.

We will then look at what is left within the budget and see what we can get with the remaining budget with an experienced goalkeeper being the key and then a centre back if the budget stretches that far.

I think the first bit is correct.

As for what else is to come, god only knows.

Just now, JHRover said:

That’s a strange way of explaining our finances under Bowyer.

Surely it’s worth mentioning that he inherited the 50m a season black hole in finance, countless staff and players still being paid after leaving, and a completely hacked to death academy system / squad chock full of insane contracts for average players.

I personally don’t think this scenario and that one stacks up. For example, I’d probably hazard a guess that the wages of Johnson, Downing, Dack, Lenihan and Graham are insignificant now compared to the likes of Jason Lowe, Jake Kean, David Goodwillie etc of the time.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

We will then look at what is left within the budget and see what we can get with the remaining budget with an experienced goalkeeper being the key and then a centre back if the budget stretches that far.

Hmm, so it's all about the money then..

I thought our owners were slumdog billionaires.?

Just now, JHRover said:

We were told at the last consultation meeting by both Steve Waggott and Mike Cheston that it would be tight with regard to FFP by next summer.

Just now, Kamy100 said:

ie back to front!

19 minutes ago, unsall said:

Hmm,think he’s going to sort out the goalkeeper situation and defenders, according to all reports, and still keep in FFP regs, which is not easy, other clubs have had to sell the grounds etc to comply, pointless to keep going back and blaming Venkys (we all know they screwed up) but whatever you think of them,we need them to keep pumping money in every month, yes I know we can be like Bournemouth,Leicester etc but teams like Fulham who are mega rich still get relegated, and you mention Bolton/ Bury and don’t want to be compared with, but we could easily end up like them if the owners decide to cut and run. I’m just grateful we aren’t in their position and very hopeful we can have a decent season. 

Thanks for a very sensible assessment of the position we are in.  I totally agree with everything you say.  I'm sure a few years ago both Bolton and Bury fans were saying someone will buy us - and they did and look where they are now.  Slow and steady progress may not be exciting but I'm more than happy to keep on that path rather than gamble the future of the club away.  As you say, massive mistakes were made early on but we can't alter that - the past is the past - we can only look to the future and, sadly, our income streams mean we are always going to be up against it with regard to FFP.

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Hmm, so it's all about the money then..

I thought our owners were slumdog billionaires.?

There is an agreed amount that TM and Waggott were happy to work with, they have then further supplemented that with the sale of Raya.  

I much prefer this approach where we are spending what we can realistically afford rather than the uncontrolled spending of the past.

Personally, I would have liked for the defence to reinforced before buying a striker but these are decisions made by TM and he will live or die by them if he gets it wrong,

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Thanks for a very sensible assessment of the position we are in.  I totally agree with everything you say.  I'm sure a few years ago both Bolton and Bury fans were saying someone will buy us - and they did and look where they are now.  Slow and steady progress may not be exciting but I'm more than happy to keep on that path rather than gamble the future of the club away.  As you say, massive mistakes were made early on but we can't alter that - the past is the past - we can only look to the future and, sadly, our income streams mean we are always going to be up against it with regard to FFP.

Then we need to be bloody careful with what we do spend... last summer’s deadline day could hamper us significantly.